Embarrassing Car Question

• So what exactly does "normal maintenance" consist of for a sedan?

I get my oil changed when the sensor says I need it, keep air in the tires, and that's been about it unless something goes wrong.

What am I missing/not doing?

• 🚽 Regular

@Benjamin-Hall I hear some people consider brake pads and tire treads important.

But for the most part I just drop off the car once a year at a mechanic I trust, and let him do whatever he wants before taking it to the yearly inspection, so I'm not exactly the best person to answer your question.

Oh, I have changed my windscreen wipers a couple of times without any help. 😁 😤

• @Zecc said in Embarrassing Car Question:

@Benjamin-Hall I hear some people consider brake pads and tire treads important.

But for the most part I just drop off the car once a year at a mechanic I trust, and let him do whatever he wants before taking it to the yearly inspection, so I'm not exactly the best person to answer your question.

I did have the brake pads changed once, but is there a schedule for such a thing? We don't have annual inspections, so I've generally only taken it places when something's wrong or when I'm about to go on a big trip.

• @Benjamin-Hall said in Embarrassing Car Question:

is there a schedule for such a thing?

There is schedule for everything (e.. timing belt/chain)....

What make/model/year?

• @TheCPUWizard said in Embarrassing Car Question:

@Benjamin-Hall said in Embarrassing Car Question:

There is schedule for everything (e.. timing belt/chain)....

What make/model/year?

2010 Honda Civic LX(?...the middle-of-the-road trim. Automatic transmission, 1.8L 4-cylinder). Currently at ~85k miles.

• @Benjamin-Hall Read the manual.

It's going to have a schedule of items you have to do, like flushing the coolant, transmission fluid, air filters, etc.

• @Captain said in Embarrassing Car Question:

@Benjamin-Hall Read the manual.

It's going to have a schedule of items you have to do, like flushing the coolant, air filters, etc.

I bought it used and I'm not sure I actually have the manual. I guess I could probably download it, but...

I know that the manufacturer's recommendations for oil changes are...pessimistic (ie more frequent than really needed)--is that similar for the other things? I've had it checked out occasionally, but it's never actually needed work.

So what exactly does "normal maintenance" consist of for a sedan?

Check your owner's manual. (Ha ha, I know, funny joke, right?)

I get my oil changed when the sensor says I need it, keep air in the tires, and that's been about it unless something goes wrong.

What am I missing/not doing?

All the other things are not necessarily a function of mileage, but of age, or use. Rubber hoses can deteriorate after a decade. Power steering/brake/transmission fluid eventually need flushing. Shocks and struts wear out. You probably have a dirty engine/cabin air filter if you've never replaced.

The good news is that a lot of these items are generally in the once every 50-100k miles category.

• ♿ (Parody)

Rotating the tires regularly is good for them and prolongs their life. Done roughly on the same schedule as oil changes.

• @Benjamin-Hall Um... I mean, 3000 miles (what the dealer typically recommends) is reasonable if you're using conventional oil. My wife is on a 7000 mile schedule now that I put her on fully synthetic.

The schedule for coolant flushes is like every 30,000 miles. You can get by a lot longer, BUT the coolant will degrade and eventually (after some years) eat through the rubber stuff and can cause other forms of engine damage. I wouldn't go for more than 35,000 tops. In fact, my wife is due for one (30,000 miles now) and she didn't want to pay, so I'll do it at home this spring.

@Zecc said in Embarrassing Car Question:

I did have the brake pads changed once, but is there a schedule for such a thing? We don't have annual inspections, so I've generally only taken it places when something's wrong or when I'm about to go on a big trip.

The schedule for brake pads is the same one for tires - namely, "when they're worn out and there's not enough material left." It's easy enough for a mechanic to be able to inspect and tell you. I would be surprised if one got less than 50k miles out of a set of brake pads.

• @Groaner said in Embarrassing Car Question:

The schedule for brake pads is the same one for tires - namely, "when they're worn out and there's not enough material left." It's easy enough for a mechanic to be able to inspect and tell you. I would be surprised if one got less than 50k miles out of a set of brake pads.

The brake pads were changed 2 (?) years and about 15k(?) miles ago.

@boomzilla I think the last time I did that was when I got (1/2 set) of new tires about 2 years ago.

@Captain I had a "comprehensive" checkup about 2 years ago (see the pattern?). I wonder if they flushed the coolant then. And I've been waiting for the oil life sensor to tell me I need it changed. I don't drive tons, maybe 7.5-8k miles a year. But I doubt I change it ever 3k, which would be 2.67 times per year. I think I've had it changed maybe 8 times in the 6.5 years I've owned it.

I know, I'm a bad car owner. Part of it is that I can never remember exactly when I did things--time and I have a bad relationship.

@Captain I had a "comprehensive" checkup about 2 years ago (see the pattern?). I wonder if they flushed the coolant then. And I've been waiting for the oil life sensor to tell me I need it changed. I don't drive tons, maybe 7.5-8k miles a year. But I doubt I change it ever 3k, which would be 2.67 times per year. I think I've had it changed maybe 8 times in the 6.5 years I've owned it.

With that much mileage, twice a year is good enough probably. Once every 9 months is probably a little long.

I don't think they'd have flushed the coolant. Usually they start doing that at 60,000 miles or 90,000 miles, every 30,000.

• Oh, big tip...

Get a manila envelope and keep it in your glove box for all your auto maintenance receipts. Just put the newest receipt on top. Bingo, instant maintenance log.

• @Captain said in Embarrassing Car Question:

With that much mileage, twice a year is good enough probably. Once every 9 months is probably a little long.

I don't think they'd have flushed the coolant. Usually they start doing that at 60,000 miles or 90,000 miles, every 30,000.

It was about 65k or 70k at that point, so they may have. that was right before I took a major road trip. I know they changed the brake fluid/pads and replaced a couple of tires that were worn through (the others having been changed about 6 months before due to wear/punctures).

I have been ignoring the "you're due for you X0k mile service!" notifications I've gotten.

I guess sometime next week (probably Tuesday, since that's when I'm free) I'll take it in and have the full check. It's about due for an oil change and it's been vibrating funny--tires are probably not balanced/wearing right.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I did have the brake pads changed once, but is there a schedule for such a thing?

When they wear out.

2010 Honda Civic LX(?...the middle-of-the-road trim. Automatic transmission, 1.8L 4-cylinder). Currently at ~85k miles.

@Captain said in Embarrassing Car Question:

In fact, my wife is due for one (30,000 miles now) and she didn't want to pay, so I'll do it at home this spring.

What type of coolant does your wife take?

I mean, 3000 miles (what the dealer typically recommends) is reasonable if you're using conventional oil. My wife is on a 7000 mile schedule now that I put her on fully synthetic.

Every 3k? What are you driving?!
    I'd be getting the oil changed 5/6 times a year at that rate.

My car is on the manufacturer's "long life" service routine which is up to every 18k or 2 years. Technically it's variable based on how the car is driven but mine's mostly motorway so it maxes out.

• @loopback0 I'm driving a 2008 Nissan Sentra... on par for maintenance with Ben's 2010 Civic. My manual says 3750 miles or 3 months, unless you're in the low maintenance regime. I'm not.

I hope you're checking your oil levels if you change it every 18k miles...

WTF oil are you even using? Mobile 1 extended life lasts for 15k...

• Fake News

Yeah, 18k is waaaaaay over typical oil life.

I hope you're checking your oil levels if you change it every 18k miles...

I check it (via the MMI as there's no dipstick) occasionally but generally assume it's OK unless the car tells me otherwise.

My Land Rover is checked regularly, although that's because both the engine and transfer box have slight oil leaks.

Both of my cars are opposites when it comes to maintenance.
    One is only 3 years old (I've had it since new) and is still warrantied so just goes to the dealer for all services etc. The car monitors all fluids so I generally leave it to it.
    The other is nearly 20 years old and I do everything myself including all repairs (except welding). It's currently in pieces as the cylinder head gasket went and then I realised the head was also fucked so there's a half-reassembled replacement in the garage waiting for the weekend.

@lolwhat said in Embarrassing Car Question:

It's Castrol or Shell Longlife IIRC. Standard VW/Audi long life variable servicing.

Apparently the car monitors the quality and adjusts accordingly but I've no idea how that works - as long as it's adhered to, it's covered by warranty so I don't worry about it too much.
    My last VW went to 165k (when I got rid of it) on the same plan without an issue.

• There are all sorts of stuff that you change every once in a while.
    Oil, coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid...
    And then there are the things that wear out, but might not break.
    Belts, chains, valve clearances, spark plugs, break pads, break discs, wheel bearings and so on.

Some things you change when it's worn, like break pads, bearings and stuff like that. Other you change on a schedule, like spark plugs and belts. Others you change depending on technical measurements, like chains.

• @boomzilla said in Embarrassing Car Question:

Rotating the tires regularly is good for them and prolongs their life.

My tires rotate every time I drive, but I don't think it helps them last longer.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Check your vehicle's manual (you kept that, right?), where you'll find the answer to this question and many more!

Edit: :hanzo:

I should just let the obvious responses be until I've reached the end, but that's for another forum...

• @lolwhat said in Embarrassing Car Question:

Hardly.
    My 2009 BMW needs - according to the manual and the built-in computer - an oil change every 30.000 km (approx. 18k miles), or once every 3 years.

All brakepads I know have a marker on them. When they're worn up to the marker, they need replacing.

• @lolwhat said in Embarrassing Car Question:

That seems to be the norm over here. I've checked a couple of websites for 3 different models of cars that I have/had, and they all recommend a change of oil at either 15k or 30k km (9/18k miles), or every year or two years.

That small random sample includes one tiny urban car, one 4x4 and one luxury car (that one has actually the highest interval of all, at 34k km = 21k miles), and from my common understanding it's the same for all other cars. Nobody changes the oil more than once a year (unless they're doing special things with their car, of course).

• Banned

Check your car's manual. You'll find schedules for all kinds of things.

Edit:of course someone alrwady said that.

I'm not sure I actually have the manual. I guess I could probably download it, but...

Or, the repair shop you take it to can just look it up, and apply based on your previous maintenance.

Most cars are sold with the manual and maintenance log (usually in the same book), as the lack of maintenance log (or missing entries for scheduled maintenance) have a large impact on the price of the vehicle. Or, at least they have in 🇫🇮 .

Me, I take my car to a good mechanic once a year, if nothing's broken before then, and they'll apply the manufacturer's recommended maintenance regime. Meaning, they change the air- and oil filters, change the oil, oil the locks and hinges, change the spark plugs, etc.. based on the mileage since the last change. Or, that's what usually happens.
    With my current car, the manufacturer specified a list of stuff to be done at 25k km, 50k km, and so on, instead of giving straight change intervals. The mechanic I use is not very imaginative, and I drive like 12k per year, so they've already done the 100k package, even though my car has just 78k km on it.

• Fake News

@nerd4sale said in Embarrassing Car Question:

Hardly.

In a part of the world where everyone drives a German car, es ist natürlich. Here across the pond, the cars are generally Uhmerican, Japanese or Korean, with a smattering of German cars, which are considered luxury (except for VW perhaps).

• For everyone who recommended the manual--funny thing happened when I looked at it.

Other than checking the fluids periodically (which I need to do better about), it didn't give a schedule for other maintenance, except for particular items. It says to use the "Maintenance Minder Display" (which is what I was saying about letting the "oil quality gauge" tell me when to change the oil. It shows the codes as follows:

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 7.28.12 AM.png

It says this is based on "driving conditions and accumulated engine revolutions", not on mileage or time 🤷♂

• @Benjamin-Hall It does say "change the engine oil every year" (footnote *1), so that's apparently the recommended maximum interval between oil changes. But yeah, nothing fixed for most of the other items.

• @remi said in Embarrassing Car Question:

@Benjamin-Hall IT does say "change the engine oil every year" (footnote *1), so that's apparently the recommended maximum interval between oil changes.

I guess that's true. Probably due to sludgification occurring over time even if the engine isn't run hard enough to normally warrant it.

• @Benjamin-Hall I guess so. I had a similar issue with my chainsaw, I don't use it a lot and once I noticed that the oil wasn't flowing on the chain anymore. Mentioned it to a repair guy who asked me how old the can of engine oil was, and when I told him it was probably 2 years old he said that it probably had lost its fluidity and that I should throw it away and buy a new can.

• @remi hmm, this makes me think that I should do some maintenance on my motorbike. In the 20 years I have had it I replaced the oil and filter exactly once.
    Well, lets see how long I can postpone it before it breaks, it was still working today, so 🤷♂