Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Here's the best bit... 😂

The biggest pain point for me was getting verified as a legal business by Apple.

First, I went to the site and registered for Apple’s Developer Program. I filled out my name and company information. (Aside: I guess Apple won’t let you submit an app unless you have a registered, legal company?)

I click next.

“The information you entered did not match your D&B profile.”

My…what?

A bit of Googling showed that “D&B profile” is Dun and Bradstreet. I’ve never heard of this group before, but I find out that Apple is using them to verify you legal corporation details.

And apparently, my D&B profile didn’t match what I put in my Apple Dev registration.

I google some more and find the Apple dev forums littered with similar posts. Nobody had a good answer.

I contact Apple Dev support. 24 hours later, I’m contacted by email saying that I should contact D&B.

I decide to contact them…but Apple says it will take up to a few days for them to respond.

At this point, I’m thinking of abandoning the whole idea.

While waiting for D&B support to get back to me, I decide to go to the D&B site, verify my identity, and update my company information which, I assume, they had taken from government registration records.

Did I mention how sucky this is? I just want to list my existing web app in the store. Plz help.

I go to D&B to update my business profile. Surprise! They have a JavaScript bug in their validation logic that prevents me from updating my profile.

Thankfully, I’m a proficient developer. I click put a breakpoint in their JavaScript, click submit, change the isValid flag to true, and voila! I’ve updated my D&B profile.

Back to Apple Dev –> let’s try this again. Register my company…

“Error: The information you entered did not match your D&B profile.”

AREYOUFREAKINKIDDINGME.

Talk to Apple again. “Oh, it may take 24–48 hours for the updated D&B information to get into our system.”

You know, because digital information can take 2 days to travel from server A to server B. Sigh.

Two days later, I try to register…finally it works! Now I’m in the Apple Developer program and can submit apps for review.

• BINNED

@doctorjones I hope that was indeed because he declared as a non profit, because I don't even want to know what will happen when we try to get an app on Apple Store as a dirty foreigner company...

• @onyx I think in that case they look up your Д&Б profile.

• A running commentary as I read the article:

Cost

• Microsoft: Free!

Interesting, as last time I looked they were priced similarly to Apple (though "independent" devs had a $49/year payment option).

Google asked for a token $25 one-time fee. Probably to avoid spammers and decrease truly junk apps from entering the store.

HAHAHA. Apple charges $99/year and they still get tons of junk apps. A one-time $25 charge ain't stopping anything.

“Oh, it may take 24–48 hours for the updated D&B information to get into our system.”

When I last looked up info about this (which was fairly recent), plenty of people were saying Apple only got updated info every 2 weeks.

MacInCloud costs about $25/month, and they give you a Mac machine with XCode already installed. You can remote into it using Windows Remote Desktop, or even via a web interface.

Neat option to find out about.

I shouldn’t have to buy a proprietary computer — a several thousand dollar Mac — in order to build my app.

I agree, though you can get an official option for as cheap as $500 or $700, though both of those options also require other hardware.

App Review

• Apple: [...] The human app review takes about 24–48 hours.
    • Google: Anybody home? [...] I don’t think a real human being looked at my app.

For Apple, that time is about right, now. It used to be nearly a week before a reviewer would check it, and "up to" 48 hours for the actual review to be done.

For Google, oh, they did review it. Just not when it was submitted. They would have looked sometime after, and if they'd found any problem, they'd have pulled it and contacted him.

Conclusion
    Loser: Apple. [...] Don’t make me use 2 different sites: Apple Dev Center and iTunes Connect.

Easily the most frustrating thing about submitting apps for Apple. Even worse is when you submit apps on behalf of other companies, as they have to invite you to each site separately.

• @chaostheeternal said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

MacInCloud costs about $25/month [...]

Neat option to find out about.

Hrm... so the "$25/month" is only if you won't use the provided Mac Mini (which, by default, is probably the $700 spec version I mentioned) for more than 5 hours a day if you pay monthly:

0_1525880967944_f9b0879e-2821-41b2-b3cf-18e2312442e8-image.png

You want to work on a beefier Mac Pro, the price jumps notably (and not consistently).

• @chaostheeternal said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

A running commentary as I read the article:

Cost

• Microsoft: Free!

Not sure where he gets that from. Though it's not that expensive - it's a $19 one-time fee. Though this fee is per person and not per app.

And they just announced on Build that they'll only take a 5% cut if you publish a non-free app.

Interesting, as last time I looked they were priced similarly to Apple (though "independent" devs had a $49/year payment option).

They've said that they intend to automatically detect PWAs from elsewhere and grab them for their store, after all.

• @rhywden said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

Not sure where he gets that from.

Not sure either. Going to the register page, here's what I found:

How much does a developer account cost?

Individual accounts cost approximately $19 USD, and company accounts cost approximately $99 USD (the exact amounts may vary depending on your country or region). This is a one-time registration fee and no renewal is required.

So, they did change it to a one time fee, and for an individual it's cheaper than Google.

Hrm, looking into it more, I'm thinking he maybe messed up when registering with Apple. Per Apple's enrollment support page:

If you are an individual or sole proprietor/single person business, your personal legal name will be listed as the seller on the App Store. Do not enter an alias, nickname, or company name as your first or last name, as entering your legal name incorrectly will cause a delay in the approval of your enrollment.

No mention of a D-U-N-S number there, only when registering as a company. Microsoft's pages say, basically, the same thing (that they use Dun & Bradstreet to confirm company accounts, but not individual).

Looks like the Google and Microsoft apps are tied to a "company" named BitShuva, but the Apple app (which "has to be" first party published) he decided to use the non-profit (company) as the publisher instead of himself (either the BitShuva company, or, if that wouldn't have worked, as an individual).

• @magus I looked before any discussion of PWAs, to see about building "native" store apps.

When I looked about that was also easily over a year and a half ago, if not more.

• @doctorjones said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

Thankfully, I’m a proficient developer. I click put a breakpoint in their JavaScript, click submit, change the isValid flag to true, and voila! I’ve updated my D&B profile.

The next day his house got raided by the police. He's currently serving his 5 year sentence for hacking.

• I had an app on the Google Play store. Back then (~2012) it was a one time fee of $25.

I have an app on the Apple store. It cost $100 a year to be on their store. Also, you can sign up as an individual instead of a company. An individual doesn't have to have D&B info.

I looked at Microsoft a few times. They keep changing the price to be on their store.

• The good news is, there’s a free tool to do the magic of turning your web app into app packages. That awesome free tool is called PWABuilder. It analyzes a URL, tells you what you need to do (e.g. maybe add some home screen icons to your PWA web manifest). And in a 3 step wizard, it lets you download packages that contain all the magic:

Does this mean we can make a thedailywtf app?

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@doctorjones said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

Here's the best bit... 😂

The biggest pain point for me was getting verified as a legal business by Apple.

First, I went to the site and registered for Apple’s Developer Program. I filled out my name and company information. (Aside: I guess Apple won’t let you submit an app unless you have a registered, legal company?)

I click next.

“The information you entered did not match your D&B profile.”

My…what?

A bit of Googling showed that “D&B profile” is Dun and Bradstreet. I’ve never heard of this group before, but I find out that Apple is using them to verify you legal corporation details.

And apparently, my D&B profile didn’t match what I put in my Apple Dev registration.

I google some more and find the Apple dev forums littered with similar posts. Nobody had a good answer.

I contact Apple Dev support. 24 hours later, I’m contacted by email saying that I should contact D&B.

I decide to contact them…but Apple says it will take up to a few days for them to respond.

At this point, I’m thinking of abandoning the whole idea.

While waiting for D&B support to get back to me, I decide to go to the D&B site, verify my identity, and update my company information which, I assume, they had taken from government registration records.

Did I mention how sucky this is? I just want to list my existing web app in the store. Plz help.

I go to D&B to update my business profile. Surprise! They have a JavaScript bug in their validation logic that prevents me from updating my profile.

Back to Apple Dev –> let’s try this again. Register my company…

“Error: The information you entered did not match your D&B profile.”

AREYOUFREAKINKIDDINGME.

Talk to Apple again. “Oh, it may take 24–48 hours for the updated D&B information to get into our system.”

You know, because digital information can take 2 days to travel from server A to server B. Sigh.

Two days later, I try to register…finally it works! Now I’m in the Apple Developer program and can submit apps for review.

The walls on that garden seem to be getting ever higher.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@hungrier said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

@onyx I think in that case they look up your Д&Б profile.

I think Apple's big enough they could probably just go to the source and get your КГБ profile.

• @dangeruss said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

Does this mean we can make a thedailywtf app?

Only if we get cornify, fa-spin, and signature guy back.

• 🚽 Regular

Been there done that. Developing for iOS made me vow never to put myself through that ever again. Android and Windows are relatively painless, but Apple seems to make everything as suicide-inducing as possible. Besides the D&B shit (which I was nodding in sympathy the whole time he was ranting about it):

• Objective-C Apple loves to flaunt its "newness" and all, but everything is held together with the duct-tape and spit that is Objective-C. It is, by far, the stupidest most banal language I've ever seen. I'd almost unsarcastically prefer to develop in Brainfuck instead.
    • Develop in a new Mac because FUCK YOU GIVE US MONEY He mentioned this in the article, but I need to elaborate on this further: Apple is the worst when it comes to obsoletion by design. And this is especially true for app development. Got a 2 year old Mac? Fuck you, you need to buy a new one if you want to publish a new app that works on the iPhone X.*
    • Kafka-esque Approval Process It's possible they improved on this since I last tried it out, since he seems to be satisfied with their process. Or perhaps the apps he published were so simple he didn't have to worry about stupid shit getting in the way. Apple would often find the stupidest reasons to reject our submission. I forget the details, but one of them was something along the lines of "Your scrolling UI doesn't match our momentum scrolling ideals, so we can't accept this." This was, maybe, 6 years ago, so maybe they've loosened up a bit.
    • 30% in-purchase app tax I imagine over half of Apple's profits are off of microtransactions for Fruit Ninja or whatever the hell the kids play nowadays.
    • Provisional Profile and Certificate Nonsense Applying these are about as convoluted as trying to gain top secret clearance. There are a shit ton of things you have to put together to make everything work. Now, I get the concept that you should prevent unauthorized publishing of apps that were hijacked or stolen by other people. But, they could have done this a LOT more easily.
    • Macincloud is friggen awesome if you want to just play around with iOS development, though. They also have hooks in with Visual Studio if you're developing something from Xamarin or something else on the Windows side.

• area_can

@the_quiet_one said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

but everything is held together with the duct-tape and spit that is Objective-C. It is, by far, the stupidest most banal language I've ever seen. I'd almost unsarcastically prefer to develop in Brainfuck instead.

I agree that block syntax is way too complicated, and nil seems like a mistake, and xcode is awful, but I didn't think objc was that bad...

E: and UIKit/NS libraries match Java in terms of verbosity

• 🚽 Regular

@bb36e said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

but everything is held together with the duct-tape and spit that is Objective-C. It is, by far, the stupidest most banal language I've ever seen. I'd almost unsarcastically prefer to develop in Brainfuck instead

I didn't think objc was that bad...

I very rarely pull a blakey about purely subjective opinions like yours, but I'll make an exception this time: you're wrong.

• @the_quiet_one said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

Fuck you, you need to buy a new one if you want to publish a new app that works on the iPhone X.

Counter-point: the Mac I use at work is at least 4 years old, and beyond one issue (it has only 4 GB of RAM which was "standard" in their AIO Macs at the time, but is not nearly enough now), we don't have a problem building apps "for the latest iPhone" on it.

Can't personally comment about the Apple tax, every app we've made is free. Can comment about the approval process, my lounge thread has plenty of complaints there. I thought Apple was switching preference for Swift over Objective-C (though I did try writing the first version of our apps in Objective-C and I just remember hating it the whole time). Provisional Profiles aren't really that annoying, and Certificates are only annoying when you have to set them back up since they expire every year.

• BINNED

@anonymous234 said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

The next day his house got raided by the police. He's currently serving his 5 year sentence for hacking.

And mourning his shot dogs.

• 🚽 Regular

@chaostheeternal it is possible they have improved some of this stuff since I last did it. I came from the time of ad-hoc certificates (in lieu of test flight) and their developer portal being a mess of a UI that made things very confusing for me.

• @the_quiet_one said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

Been there done that. Developing for iOS made me vow never to put myself through that ever again. Android and Windows are relatively painless, but Apple seems to make everything as suicide-inducing as possible. Besides the D&B shit (which I was nodding in sympathy the whole time he was ranting about it):

• Objective-C Apple loves to flaunt its "newness" and all, but everything is held together with the duct-tape and spit that is Objective-C. It is, by far, the stupidest most banal language I've ever seen. I'd almost unsarcastically prefer to develop in Brainfuck instead.
    • Develop in a new Mac because FUCK YOU GIVE US MONEY He mentioned this in the article, but I need to elaborate on this further: Apple is the worst when it comes to obsoletion by design. And this is especially true for app development. Got a 2 year old Mac? Fuck you, you need to buy a new one if you want to publish a new app that works on the iPhone X.*
    • Kafka-esque Approval Process It's possible they improved on this since I last tried it out, since he seems to be satisfied with their process. Or perhaps the apps he published were so simple he didn't have to worry about stupid shit getting in the way. Apple would often find the stupidest reasons to reject our submission. I forget the details, but one of them was something along the lines of "Your scrolling UI doesn't match our momentum scrolling ideals, so we can't accept this." This was, maybe, 6 years ago, so maybe they've loosened up a bit.
    • 30% in-purchase app tax I imagine over half of Apple's profits are off of microtransactions for Fruit Ninja or whatever the hell the kids play nowadays.
    • Provisional Profile and Certificate Nonsense Applying these are about as convoluted as trying to gain top secret clearance. There are a shit ton of things you have to put together to make everything work. Now, I get the concept that you should prevent unauthorized publishing of apps that were hijacked or stolen by other people. But, they could have done this a LOT more easily.
    • Macincloud is friggen awesome if you want to just play around with iOS development, though. They also have hooks in with Visual Studio if you're developing something from Xamarin or something else on the Windows side.

It's been about 6 years since I touched iOS development, too, but the two biggest things that still drive me nuts when I think about those days are:

1. Our app was rejected because it had a "Help" menu. Apple made us remove all in-app help guides before they'd let us publish it. :wtf:
    2. Our development iMac had 22 GB of RAM, yet we had common kernel panics due to out-of-memory conditions.

Got a 2 year old Mac? Fuck you, you need to buy a new one if you want to publish a new app that works on the iPhone X.*

Really? I would have thought it was a matter of having the latest updates, which as far as I can tell are still supported on 2011 Macs.

@mott555 said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

Our app was rejected because it had a "Help" menu. Apple made us remove all in-app help guides before they'd let us publish it.

Why? Just... why? 😧

• @doctorjones said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

Our app was rejected because it had a "Help" menu. Apple made us remove all in-app help guides before they'd let us publish it.

Why? Just... why? 😧

Our interactions with the App Store reviewers convinced me that Apple hired them all from the monkey exhibits at the local zoo. To make matters worse, there was no way to appeal a decision or even respond to the reviewer. Their messaging system was one-way. You either did what they said and resubmitted the app, or you didn't have an app.

Because they made us take the help content out, I had to answer phone calls to assist customers with app features. And this was not a basic app, this was a complicated GIS system with lots of complex features for city and county governments.

• @mott555 Maybe they'd let you keep it if you made the help content an in-app purchase so that they could take a cut.

• @hungrier If anything, I think Apple was just harassing us because we didn't fit their business model. IIRC the app itself was free. A city's utility maps didn't just pop into existence on their own, we had to do thousands of man-hours worth of surveys and data processing to generate them. That's where the cash was and Apple couldn't touch that, so I think they settled for petty harassment. But we had enough customers who insisted they wanted shiny new iPads instead of our other, more-mature solutions that the decision was made to attempt an iOS app, and I was so burned by the experience that I will never willingly subject myself to Apple stuff ever again.

• 🚽 Regular

@hungrier said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

Got a 2 year old Mac? Fuck you, you need to buy a new one if you want to publish a new app that works on the iPhone X.*

Really? I would have thought it was a matter of having the latest updates, which as far as I can tell are still supported on 2011 Macs.

I have a 2010-ish Mac that only goes up to Mountain Lion, IIRC. I don't use it for development, but we had similar problems back in the day with development. They very well could have corrected this problem since 2011, though.

• @mott555 Ha, I just remembered our "offline" version of the app. This was in the iPad 2 days, I think, and we had customers who were upset that they needed an active internet/data connection to get the mapping data from our servers. The decision was made to do an "offline" version of the app that stored everything on the iPad, even when I said it was going to be very problematic from technical standpoints.

So we did the app, stuffing all this GIS data into an SQLite database on the device and doing custom adapters to query and draw from it. During testing we discovered that the iPad just didn't have enough storage. Most datasets wouldn't fit, and of course Apple never gave you an SD card slot to expand beyond the 16 GB or whatever the base model had. We trimmed some datasets to force something to work, and then the iPad processor was so slow it sometimes took 30 seconds to refresh the screen. Finally, dealing with such a large SQLite database on a tablet instead of letting our beefy SQL Servers do the heavy lifting meant that the iPad got very hot and burned through about 2% of its battery life per minute.

It got "better" when the iPad 3 was released. Apple was touting all that "4X Faster than iPad 2" BS, but when we got our own 3, our testing proved it to be about half as fast as the old model, at least with the work we were doing.

• @the_quiet_one Supposedly 2010 and later should be compatible with the latest. Personally I've got a 2011 Macbook Pro with Sierra, and it keeps pestering me to install High Sierra. So far I've been putting that off until I'm adequately convinced that it isn't a complete shit-show from top to bottom.

• 🚽 Regular

@doctorjones said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

Why? Just... why? 😧

And this was not a basic app, this was a complicated GIS system with lots of complex features for city and county governments.

As someone who worked with GIS systems briefly in the past, I'm beginning to see why 22Gb of memory wasn't enough. 🐠

If anything, I think Apple was just harassing us because we didn't fit their business model. IIRC the app itself was free. A city's utility maps didn't just pop into existence on their own, we had to do thousands of man-hours worth of surveys and data processing to generate them. That's where the cash was and Apple couldn't touch that, so I think they settled for petty harassment.

This was our situation as well. We did everything we could to circumvent their in-app purchase model while still having auxiliary features for sale. It was a massive undertaking because they were adamant that if we offered extra stuff on our app, we had to pay them a cut even though it was through a completely different vendor and was actually separate from the app.

To use an analogy, it was kind of like releasing a comic book reader, but offering comic books for sale on a separate storefront through a different vendor/publishing platform. The app's only purpose was to be able to read those purchases on a mobile device. Apple didn't like that one bit. They made us remove any links or references to that storefront and then after we did that started nitpicking the scrolling and shit.

• @hungrier said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

@the_quiet_one Supposedly 2010 and later should be compatible with the latest. Personally I've got a 2011 Macbook Pro with Sierra, and it keeps pestering me to install High Sierra. So far I've been putting that off until I'm adequately convinced that it isn't a complete shit-show from top to bottom.

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro. Just updated to HS. First 2 attempts several months ago failed (and cleanly rolled back 🙏). Last attempt (about a month ago) finally "just worked". (I believe I posted about that in the status thread) Slow as hell compiling, but it works. All I need it for is compiling and validation. Any real debugging happens on my Win machine.

As someone who worked with GIS systems briefly in the past, I'm beginning to see why 22Gb of memory wasn't enough.

Oh no, we didn't do GIS on the iMac. Its sole purpose was to host XCode.

@bb36e said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

I didn't think objc was that bad...

All the memory safety of C with all the speed of Smalltalk…

But we had enough customers who insisted they wanted shiny new iPads instead of our other, more-mature solutions that the decision was made to attempt an iOS app, and I was so burned by the experience that I will never willingly subject myself to Apple stuff ever again.

I remember looking vaguely at the process for Apple for a tablet app we were interesting doing and thinking “fuck that shit” given that we knew we could side-load onto an Android tablet and call the job done. (The app itself couldn't be fully offline; the computation required needed a system that verged on being a supercomputer to do in reasonable time.)

• @dkf said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

I remember looking vaguely at the process for Apple for a tablet app we were interesting doing and thinking “fuck that shit” given that we knew we could side-load onto an Android tablet and call the job done

I was more polite, but that was essentially how I pitched it to management. Obviously I was overruled.

• 🚽 Regular

@dkf said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

I remember looking vaguely at the process for Apple for a tablet app we were interesting doing and thinking “fuck that shit” given that we knew we could side-load onto an Android tablet and call the job done

I was more polite, but that was essentially how I pitched it to management. Obviously I was overruled.

The lesson learned here is: Don't be polite.

And don't forgot all the different sized icons and all the different information you need just to create the app store description.

• @onyx said in Guy publishes a PWA in 3 app stores, documents findings:

I don't even want to know what will happen when we try to get an app on Apple Store as a dirty foreigner company...

8 years ago, you had to wait a day or two for them to manually verify the information, IIRC. Haven't tried since.