Neighbors are TR:wtf:

• ♿ (Parody)

• Could also go into one of our "Reminds me ..." threads:
    2024-03-16-2.jpg

• d5706b00-f246-4a19-91a3-41ec30d48dec-432654146_10232272493971957_6891197369000507137_n.jpg

• @dcon That should go into the ➡ Good Ideas Thread!

• The headline leaves out (because you can't fit all the details in a headline) the reason for the felony charge.

At first glance, this looks like an easy freedom of speech case. Signs are a form of speech. Man has a right to express his opinions. Case dismissed.

However, the man's neighbor had filed a complaint with the city about the appearance of his property. There was a court date scheduled about that complaint. The neighbor was to testify at that hearing. Prior to the hearing, he posted signs in his yard clearly directed toward and intended to be read by his neighbor, telling her inter alia to mind her business and to f--- off.

If it weren't for the upcoming court hearing, this would probably have remained simply a dispute between disagreeable neighbors. However, that little detail turned this into a case of felony witness intimidation. Likely, a jury will get to decide whether he did actually commit a felony or not, but even if he's acquitted, it will likely have cost him far more than whatever was at stake in the original city ordinance violation.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

The reported text of the signs seems pretty weak sauce. Personally, I think the judge should have tossed the witness intimidation charge, but :mlp_shrug:

• ed1b8260-2cf7-4bee-bad9-f2cf6625e7b1-image.png

Is there any way that could possibly NOT go wrong?

• @HardwareGeek said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

Is there any way that could possibly NOT go wrong?

When you were careful enough not to leave any evidence tracing it back to you? :trollface:

• @izzion said in Neighbors are TR:wtf::

The reported text of the signs seems pretty weak sauce. Personally, I think the judge should have tossed the witness intimidation charge, but :mlp_shrug:

This later article has a few pictures of the signs and has the text of the report an officer made when visiting the property. It doesn't show where the signs are in relation to the neighbor's property, sadly.

I think it'll be dropped eventually, like the cleanup complaints.

Aside: One of the things listed in the complaint was an inoperable vehicle, which was later found to be working but not have its registration up to date. My Dad once got a visit from a local cop because a neighbor had complained about the car sitting next to his garage. Dad restores old cars and (IIRC) it was one he was waiting for parts to get back to working on it. Dad tells this to the cop and the cop replies "That's fine, but you still can't keep a derelict vehicle out in the open like that in town." Dad tells him the tabs are paid up, so it's not a derelict. The cop goes "Allrighty then, you're good. See you later."