The Official Pokèmon Go Thread

• Notification Spam Recipient

I finally hatched an egg so I can open gifts for eggs?

Also, Pokémon GO hates my battery. Additionally, my phone's estimate of what's draining battery is found wanting.

0_1536726752112_Screenshot_Settings_20180911-213045.png

• @Tsaukpaetra said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

Also, Pokémon GO hates my battery. Additionally, my phone's estimate of what's draining battery is found wanting.

0_1536726752112_Screenshot_Settings_20180911-213045.png

I constantly have extra battery packs on me.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@Karla
    How many Pokecoins do those cost? 😮

• @izzion said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

@Karla
    How many Pokecoins do those cost? 😮

Too many, too many.

• I recommend everyone find a raid group at least for when MewTwo comes out.

• @Karla said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

I recommend everyone find a raid group at least for when MewTwo comes out.

For those who don't know: Players unlocked an "Ultra Bonus" reward for completing three rounds of global quest events, each time completing 5 million field research quests in each of three regions of the world and 100,000 in the local special event open during each one. Part of that ultra bonus is that, starting September 20 at 1 PM PDT and continuing until October 23, MewTwo will be a boss available in regular tier 5 raids spawning randomly along with other raids, no EX pass needed.

The EX Raid system lasted for more than a year, at first only at a couple gyms near Niantic HQ, then only at sponsor gyms (Sprint, Boost, Starbucks), and later at, loosely speaking, gyms in park. There were lots of weird glitches in the system and perceived unfairness in the distribution, but for most of the last 6 months, if you participated in any raid during the week between passes going out at a gym that was selected for an EX Raid, you got a pass for the EX Raid.

After the EX Raids of September 9th, no new passes went out. Whether they have torn down the EX Raid system, paused it for the weeks while MewTwo is available without a pass, or will replace MewTwo with something else in EX Raids to come, we don't know.

• @devjoe said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

@Karla said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

I recommend everyone find a raid group at least for when MewTwo comes out.

For those who don't know: Players unlocked an "Ultra Bonus" reward for completing three rounds of global quest events, each time completing 5 million field research quests in each of three regions of the world and 100,000 in the local special event open during each one. Part of that ultra bonus is that, starting September 20 at 1 PM PDT and continuing until October 23, MewTwo will be a boss available in regular tier 5 raids spawning randomly along with other raids, no EX pass needed.

The EX Raid system lasted for more than a year, at first only at a couple gyms near Niantic HQ, then only at sponsor gyms (Sprint, Boost, Starbucks), and later at, loosely speaking, gyms in park. There were lots of weird glitches in the system and perceived unfairness in the distribution, but for most of the last 6 months, if you participated in any raid during the week between passes going out at a gym that was selected for an EX Raid, you got a pass for the EX Raid.

After the EX Raids of September 9th, no new passes went out. Whether they have torn down the EX Raid system, paused it for the weeks while MewTwo is available without a pass, or will replace MewTwo with something else in EX Raids to come, we don't know.

Code was found in the most recent APK about EX pass sharing.

• I hatched a Mr. Mime!

Regionals are mixed in 7k eggs that come from gifts.

• @Karla Great, they're so common they're a nuisance, they could've put something useful in there.

Also, I've fallen victim to this, which has caused all sorts of rage:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/97ahc0/caution_when_evolving_eevee_to_umbreonespeon/

• @Boner said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

@Karla Great, they're so common they're a nuisance, they could've put something useful in there.

For you maybe. I've hatched 3 Tauros, and more than half a dozen Alohan forms so getting the single Mr. Mime and now single Kanga was pretty cool.

Also, I've fallen victim to this, which has caused all sorts of rage:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/97ahc0/caution_when_evolving_eevee_to_umbreonespeon/

Luckily, I've been good in that regard.

• I did get a perfect level 28 Eevee from a trade. It was recommended to save it for Sylveon. I have a low level perfect from a quest. Not sure what to do with that yet.

• Mr Mime's are super common here, I've just checked and I've 5 with 90%+ IV and 463 candies. I've never even had 1 of the others you mentioned.

I've got 4 perfect total, one from a trade.

Altaria
    Primeape
    Parasect
    I forget

As an aside, I've new friend from NY, is it an alt, or someone you know? Or just random.

Mr Mime's are super common here, I've just checked and I've 5 with 90%+ IV and 463 candies. I've never even had 1 of the others you mentioned.

The 3 plus Farfetched are regionals.

Mr. Mime - Europe
    Far Fetched - Asia
    I'm not sure which of the above Africa has.

Tauros - North (and South- think) America (so I have plenty)
    Kangaskhan - Australia

There was a previous event in which Far Fetched was available worldwide so I did have some of those.

I've got 4 perfect total, one from a trade.

Altaria
    Primeape
    Parasect
    I forget

As an aside, I've new friend from NY, is it an alt, or someone you know? Or just random.

Yeah, one my kids' account (which is slowly becoming my account because I do most of the playing for it).

My husband still hasn't sent a request...I keep reminding him to.

0_1537505322667_Screenshot_Pok�mon_GO_20180920-212613.png

But a mis-click had me put the shittiest Pokémon I have up there....

• On my way to work, I get out of the subway and see a Mewtwo raid is about to start on the park near my office. I head over there and one of the guys sitting on the benches is looking familiar.

I get closer, and it turns out to be the equivalent of my boss*3 in a different department.

I find this very funny.

I accidentally placed a Paras once because I was on the bus. It managed to earn 38 coins.

@Tsaukpaetra said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

I accidentally placed a Paras once because I was on the bus. It managed to earn 38 coins.

Yeah, apparently it lasted long enough to get 50 coins. I'm fuckin' surprised...

@Tsaukpaetra
    Nobody has the heart to beat the crap out of a helpless Magikarp

@Tsaukpaetra
    Nobody has the heart to beat the crap out of a helpless Magikarp

We have someone in our group whose game name is something MkeTyson and he places Pidgeys.

I normally have a strict anti-scraping policy with alt accounts but will make an exception to kick out the pidgey.

EDIT: And we don't know who it is. They (same person, another person, 🤷🏽♀ ) also has created doppelganger accounts for some of the more prolific players in our neighborhood. The names are contain opposites...if your names was TheRealSlimShady...the doppelganger would be ThRealFatSunny. The clothes would match also. So far we have not spotted on for me. I haven't quite made that type of notoriety yet, :sadface:

• New York City got an Unown event for NYC Comic Con. While I do not live nor work near the Con...spawns are significant around my my work.

Our local group has been hoping for this and tweeting to Niantic.

First noticed the discord announcement while I was on the subway and caught 2 before I got out of the subway.

• Forced update on Androids.

All aboard gen 4 hype train!

@Karla
    INB4 @Tsaukpaetra forgets to turn off debug mode again and comes on here to post about how Niantec has blocked him again. :trollface:

@izzion said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

@Karla
    INB4 @Tsaukpaetra forgets to turn off debug mode again and comes on here to post about how Niantec has blocked him again. :trollface:

Yeah I'm being careful this time. Noticed the update last night and said "dammit not again..."

Eyyy! Got a Suicune!

0_1539758486459_Screenshot_Pok�mon_GO_20181016-205008.png

• 0_1540065156801_1784x1242.jpeg

0_1540065156801_1784x1242.jpeg

Screw whatever pokemon that is, Fat-assed [female] MewTwo all the way!

LOL

I showed it to my kids and it is apparently a shiny Shinx. Shinx is appearing to be the Dratini of gen 4. It is in level 1 raid and many of our raid group who would never to a raid other than level 5 were chasing Shinx raids. So the meme fits for many.

Fat-assed [female] MewTwo all the way!

Speaking of Fat-assed MewTwo:
    0_1540169781960_42929582_1114082885417859_829848292165681152_n.jpg

• 0_1540173743066_39509528_1084688731690608_4254612753949392896_n.jpg

So there was a fall/Halloween event we took my daughter to (bounce houses, face painting, pumpkin decorating, etc). We met up with my SIL and niece.

Husband notices the gym, right in the middle of the block that we are on, has a level 5 egg hatching. We get both girls to sit to do face painting, and SIL is mostly watching them and we move to side to do the raid.

While we are in the lobby, a guy goes by and hands my husband a flyer and then he notices his phone.

Is that a MewTwo?

We tell him to hurry up and jump in. Not sure if he did. But there were enough others around that we could beat it.

• Funny story...couple weeks ago a friend posted a screenshot in our Mystic chat with an Instinct play with the name FukKarla. That particular night he turned all the gyms in the neighborhood yellow and placed. The neighborhood is usually all blue at night.

This kinda unnerved me. Especially since the other doppelganger names were funny or clever.

Several of us reported the name and he eventually changed it to JapaneseWordSakMyBol. The JapaneseWord player is a Valor player who comes through in the morning to turn all the gyms red. So he wasn't a fan of JapaneseWord either.

Most of our group would kick him out on sight. My husband and my sons had a vendetta that they will kick him out,

So today, I walking out the subway to the apartment...looking at what the gym situation looks like. My gym is yellow with Kirlia raid and there are battle sparks in the gym one block down.

I see it change to yellow...and guess who put his Hpno (who puts a Hypno in fron position) in there?

The store at that corner is undergoing renovation so there is a kind of wooden extension that blocks half of the side walk.

I see someone standing there looking at his phone. I walk up, aggressively as one does, I'm Karla's IGN.
    I think he was caught off guard, so I looked at his phone with PoGo running and said you just took the gym.
    Then he says you want to be friends?
    I'm like, really dude? I know what your previous ingame name was.

He was pretty embarrassed and apologized. He recently got back into the game and I probably kicked him out pretty agressible on several occasions. I explained I live over the gym and there are 5 of us.

I tried to get him into our group chat so he can do raids with our group but he was having trouble with his password.

During the conversation my husband was chatting with me telling me to let him know when I am on the block so my son can come down and kick him out of the gyms. I'm like, I'm talking to him right now.

All in all faily anti-climatic mystery solved. My curiosity has been answered and his enjoyment of the game should go up as my family and friends will not actively kick him out as soon as they see him.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Karla this reminds me of reading about a cricket game.

@boomzilla
    Indeed, what can be more exciting than a dramatic wicket take in the 47th over to prevent the run chase from coming to fruition?!?!?

• ♿ (Parody)

• @boomzilla said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

That sounds boring to me.

• ♿ (Parody)

@boomzilla said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

Well, nut shots.

• @boomzilla said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

Well, nut shots.

I try not to find enjoyment in the pain of others.
    I often fail.

Well, nut shots.

I often fail.

Hence, your mastery of the judo chop.

Well, nut shots.

I often fail.

Hence, your mastery of the judo chop.

Many actual parts of judo are painful and funny to not need the fake judo chop.

I caught 200 normals!

0_1541132463522_Screenshot_Pok�mon_GO_20181101-204853.png

• ♿ (Parody)

• Changes to Pokémon Migration and Behavior
    As you explore the world of Pokémon GO, the following changes will affect the Pokémon that appear around you:
    We are making adjustments to weather and, moving forward, it will have a reduced effect on the rate at which Pokémon appear.
    As you explore a given area, you will notice that a greater variety of Pokémon species will appear over time and at different rates.
    Certain areas, such as parks and nature reserves, will now contain more varied Pokémon species.
    Changes to Pokémon Effectiveness in Battle
    We also wanted to use this opportunity to rebalance in-game battle mechanics. You may notice some of the following changes in the coming weeks:
    CP values will be adjusted going forward to improve game balance.
    HP values will be adjusted to close the gap between high HP Pokémon and low HP Pokémon.
    Pokémon Defense and Stamina values will be retroactively rebalanced, allowing highly defensive Pokémon to be valuable in battle by outlasting opponents rather than simply running out the clock.
    Defense values have also been slightly retroactively reduced for most Pokémon. Changes like these will help narrow the gap between Pokémon with the highest defensive stats and other Pokémon.
    Moving forward, you can expect to see further tweaks designed to help Trainers and their Pokémon reach their full potential. We’re looking forward to experiencing these changes with you as we explore the world together! Let’s get out there and GO!

:rolleyes:

article @Boner linked said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

Pokémon Defense and Stamina values will be retroactively rebalanced, allowing highly defensive Pokémon to be valuable in battle by outlasting opponents rather than simply running out the clock.

I don't comprehend this statement. Do "highly defensive Pokémon" outlasting the opponent not effectively be running out the clock?

Also, looks like they're working to introduce a everyone-is-level-50 mechanic.

Changes to Pokémon Migration and Behavior
    As you explore the world of Pokémon GO, the following changes will affect the Pokémon that appear around you:
    We are making adjustments to weather and, moving forward, it will have a reduced effect on the rate at which Pokémon appear.
    As you explore a given area, you will notice that a greater variety of Pokémon species will appear over time and at different rates.
    Certain areas, such as parks and nature reserves, will now contain more varied Pokémon species.
    Changes to Pokémon Effectiveness in Battle
    We also wanted to use this opportunity to rebalance in-game battle mechanics. You may notice some of the following changes in the coming weeks:
    CP values will be adjusted going forward to improve game balance.
    HP values will be adjusted to close the gap between high HP Pokémon and low HP Pokémon.
    Defense values have also been slightly retroactively reduced for most Pokémon. Changes like these will help narrow the gap between Pokémon with the highest defensive stats and other Pokémon.
    Moving forward, you can expect to see further tweaks designed to help Trainers and their Pokémon reach their full potential. We’re looking forward to experiencing these changes with you as we explore the world together! Let’s get out there and GO!

:rolleyes:

RIP my maxed out 96% Blissey. Though it will be nice to see/use a greater variety of defenders.

article @Boner linked said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

I don't comprehend this statement. Do "highly defensive Pokémon" outlasting the opponent not effectively be running out the clock?

I think the idea is that they last until the attacker dies rather than lasting 99 seconds and having the match end as a draw on time.
    Pokemon have attack, defense, and stamina stats. A high attack stat increases the damage your pokemon's attacks do, a high defense stat decreases the damage your pokemon takes from attacks, and stamina correlates into hit points, making it take more damage to defeat the pokemon.

That said, it is really only with Blissey that running out the clock is an issue, and due to the way the gym system has worked for 16 months now, only when Blissey has just been introduced into the gym or is actively being maintained with berries. However, they have talked about introducing a system of PVP battles, and I am guessing that the changes are actually meant to make those work without everybody automatically putting a Blissey in their lineup and also therefore having to put Blissey counters in the lineup. They are also, however, expected to soon release an update that includes 22 new generation-4 evolutions for Pokemon from earlier generations, some of them already quite strong, and this is probably expected to help balance them in the game/make them more favorable.

They are making attack stronger in this update, while making stamina more balanced across different pokemon - balanced meaning reduced for Blissey and its pre-evolved form Chansey, and increased for every other Pokemon. Those who were playing at the right moment a few weeks ago saw a preview of this, when for 30 minutes all Pokemon had (what might not actually be the final version of) the new stats. Every Pokemon in the game besides Blissey and Chansey gained HP. Those two lost a little HP. However, what Niantic hadn't planned on was that Pokemon didn't gain HP when their max HP increased, so everybody had hundreds of "injured" pokemon in their storage, and either because of this, or because they hadn't really planned on rolling out the update at that moment, they rolled it back.

Also, looks like they're working to introduce a everyone-is-level-50 mechanic.

They've been working for a long while to make more ways for players to level up faster. My first character took 14 months to reach level 40. I made a second character at that point, who, due to:

• 200 extra XP for the first spin of every Pokestop
    • 12000 extra XP per week if you catch a Pokemon and spin a stop or gym each week
    • 10000 extra XP if you do a legendary raid (one free per day)
    • many events with extra XP, or extra candy (which translates into extra XP by doing mass evolves of Pokemon that only need 12 or 25 candy to evolve, which was traditionally the way to power-level)
    • Pinap berries, which give extra candy which can translate into extra XP

As well as simply playing more, reached level 40 in only 10 months (297 days). And that was only just getting a small amount of the XP from friends, in the final days before level 40.

You get one friend point per friend per day by participating in a raid or gym battle with the friend, trading a pokemon, opening the friend's gift, or having them open your gift. Upon reaching 1, 7, 30, and 90 friend points, you get 3000, 10000, 50000, and 100000 XP, for a total of 163k XP per friend. And you can have up to 200 friends, though limits of sending 100 and opening 20 gifts per day make it unlikely for you to get a friend point with every one of them every day. With a mere 123 dedicated friends gaining a friend point with you every day, you could now reach level 40 in 90 days from the friend points alone. And lucky eggs can double those stat gains; if you coordinate with your friends when you reach the 30 and 90 point levels to use lucky eggs, you only need half that many friends. And if you are also playing the game normally, you might need as few as 50 friends.

That second account that reached level 40 in 10 months has been playing an additional 4 months and about 10 days since then, and has not been doing evolves for XP, and has not really been doing anything for extra XP, except using trying to coordinate using the extra lucky eggs (from the level 40 bonus and from gift boxes bought with the coins from defending gyms) to double the 50k and 100k XP friend bonuses, has, with 21 friends having reached the highest tier and 31 friends having reached the second-highest tier, already gained 70% of the XP it would take to reach level 40 again from the start. It's entirely possible, in actual practice without everything being optimal, to level a new account up to level 40 in 4 to 5 months now.

In any case, that change is going to roll out in a few minutes, so I'm going to sit back and watch the chaos (or go catch or evolve Pokemon if they also throw an event start out at the same moment).

@devjoe said in The Official Pokèmon Go Thread:

so everybody had hundreds of "injured" pokemon in their storage,

:rofl: That's excellent.

• The excitement builds as friday approaches.