WTF Bites

• Considered Harmful

@MrL said in WTF Bites:

@topspin said in WTF Bites:

@MrL said in WTF Bites:

But on a serious note, I worked with great female programmers, so they exist. But they are rare - just a fact of life.

And the premise / complaint was "they don't exist, so it's obviously 🇯🇵🥑".

It was not.

reality is considered offensive by soy cucks.

Would those great female programmers you've worked with have been offended if you had told them "you must be a man"? Would you consider it offensive?

➡ :trolley-garage:

Why would I say something like this to them?

Adam's apple, big hands, facial hair...

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Gąska said in WTF Bites:

Do you watch any TV series? Anime isn't much different than any other kind TV series. Except that it's Japanese so the common tropes and cultural references are going to be totally different than in US productions.

I'm not anime fan. That would be like saying I'm cinema fan, or cartoon fan, or prose fan. Anime can be anything, just like a book can by anything - from comedy to sci-fi drama to psychological horror. Same with anime. Anime just describes animation style that's most popular in Japan. I'm a fan of a few TV shows that just so happen to be anime, because they're good shows.

I used to say that I hate anime, because I don't like Japan culture. I always thought that Ghost In The Shell is one of the best movies ever made, but in my mind it was the single outlier.

During pandemic I started watching movies 'considered to be the best', to kill time and get a breather from Netflix mediocre mush. Among those things there was some anime stuff and I must say I changed my mind on anime completely. Sure, there is a lot of anime that is not worth my time, but the good stuff can be really great.

GITS, GITS SAC, Akira, Cowboy Bebop, Armitage III, Moving Castle, Kiki Delivery Service, My Friend Totoro, Porco Rosso - all really worth seeing.

I'm about to start Planetes now.

• Considered Harmful

@Gribnit said in WTF Bites:

The Walmart associate let me call her "sir" five times before correcting me.

• Banned

@MrL the big problem with anime is that since Japanese TVs don't like reruns, you get shitloads more series produced than in the west, which means a lot more shitty productions with only a few gems in between, and lower average budget which makes everything even shittier.

• @MrL said in WTF Bites:

My Friend Totoro

I did watch the movie repeatedly when my kids were little and enjoyed it. Most of the other things you mention do not appear to be something that would interest me, although I admit I haven't attempted to find out. One or two look like something that might, perhaps catch my interest if I were to give them a chance, but I already have dozens of unwatched movies and unread books that more likely to be interesting and that I've already paid for.

• @Gąska said in WTF Bites:

Soccer doesn't, but it makes sense an American wouldn't know that.

Not really. It only doesn't care about politics if it threatens profits.

• @MrL I also liked Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Darker Than Black was sufficiently weird. Chihiro is probably my all time favourite of Ghibli's movies, though.

• BINNED

@Rhywden said in WTF Bites:

Not really. It only doesn't care about politics if it threatens profits.

Which is always.
    Thousands of dead slavesforeign workers to build stadions in the desert? Eh, for the greater good. 💸

• BINNED

@MrL the big problem with anime is that since Japanese TVs don't like reruns, you get shitloads more series produced than in the west, which means a lot more shitty productions with only a few gems in between, and lower average budget which makes everything even shittier.

Is that why all their shows are drawn with like 5 seconds of animation that gets repeated over and over again, with tons of angry sounds and screaming in between?

I'm not sure I'm describing this correctly, but if anybody understands what I mean maybe they can explain it better.

Anyways, everything I've seen of or know about anime is a huge turn-off. But to each their own, of course.

• Banned

Is that why all their shows are drawn with like 5 seconds of animation that gets repeated over and over again, with tons of angry sounds and screaming in between?

Yes.

• BINNED

Yes.

That's absolutely terrible.

But I did just remember some things I've seen that I guess would count as anime but aren't quite the way I just thought of. Back when I was younger they used to air the kickers and Mila SuperstarAttack No. 1 on TV. Those were cute in a way and almost watchable, certainly less agonizing, but still extremely terrible pacing.

So maybe what I was thinking of originally is just more a certain (adult? violent?) genre of anime...

• Banned

So maybe what I was thinking of originally is just more a certain (adult? violent?) genre of anime...

Shonen maybe? The kind of anime targeted at teenage boys, full of super long fight scenes and bouncing tits?

• @Gąska said in WTF Bites:

Shonen maybe? The kind of anime targeted at teenage boys, full of super long fight scenes and bouncing tits?

Yes. Although more modern shonen anime has gotten (slightly) better about not doing the Dragonball-style "this one move takes an entire episode, mostly full of shouting" stuff. And fewer filler arcs of uneven quality.

There's still tons of crap out there. But as I'm forcefully reminded every time I try to watch non-animated shows, there's a lot of crap everywhere. And one "benefit" of anime is that the episodes are only ~25 minutes (with ~3 minutes of music for intro and outtro combined). So instead of 45 minutes of drek, you've only got 20 minutes.

• Considered Harmful

@error said in WTF Bites:

The Walmart associate let me call her "sir" five times before correcting me.

That's Walmart policy, they can't indicate humanity until they have held their peace five times. The cheer is not the weirdest part, of working for the country's largest welfare recipient.

• Considered Harmful

@Benjamin-Hall said in WTF Bites:

Yes. Although more modern shonen anime has gotten (slightly) better about not doing the Dragonball-style "this one move takes an entire episode, mostly full of shouting" stuff. And fewer filler arcs of uneven quality.

There's still tons of crap out there. But as I'm forcefully reminded every time I try to watch non-animated shows, there's a lot of crap everywhere. And one "benefit" of anime is that the episodes are only ~25 minutes (with ~3 minutes of music for intro and outtro combined). So instead of 45 minutes of drek, you've only got 20 minutes.

Endlessly watching Laverne and Shirley re-runs, has better stats but is less relatable. Also maybe 10 times less sad to think about, all in all.

I wonder if there's a decent anime with Bob Newhart. I think I'll check out the live action. A Manga about a middle manager? Those crazy tojos, man...

• (Apologies for posting a WTF Bite in the anime thread)

Our candidate completed a phone interview with Curious Thing. She first did a regular job interview and received a 8.5 out of 9 for English competency. In a second try, the automated interviewer asked the same questions, and she responded to each by reading the Wikipedia entry for psychometrics in German.

Yet Curious Thing awarded her a 6 out of 9 for English competency. She completed the interview again and received the same score.

She read the same Wikipedia entry aloud in German. The algorithm not only returned a personality assessment, but it also predicted our candidate to be a 73% match for the fake job, putting her in the top half of all the applicants we had asked to apply.

MyInterview provides hiring managers with a transcript of their interviews. When we inspected our candidate’s transcript, we found that the system interpreted her German words as English words. But the transcript didn’t make any sense.

Instead of scoring our candidate on the content of her answers, the algorithm pulled personality traits from her voice, says Clayton Donnelly, an industrial and organizational psychologist working with MyInterview.

Looks like AI recruiters are already surpassing human recruiters when it comes to cluelessness.

• Considered Harmful

@Zerosquare definitely a play to strength.

• @Zerosquare And that's a very high bar to clear.

• Considered Harmful

@Benjamin-Hall said in WTF Bites:

@Zerosquare And that's a very high bar to clear.

Oh, I don't know. Please define a monad.

• Considered Harmful

@Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

(Apologies for posting a WTF Bite in the anime thread)

Our candidate completed a phone interview with Curious Thing. She first did a regular job interview and received a 8.5 out of 9 for English competency. In a second try, the automated interviewer asked the same questions, and she responded to each by reading the Wikipedia entry for psychometrics in German.

Yet Curious Thing awarded her a 6 out of 9 for English competency. She completed the interview again and received the same score.

She read the same Wikipedia entry aloud in German. The algorithm not only returned a personality assessment, but it also predicted our candidate to be a 73% match for the fake job, putting her in the top half of all the applicants we had asked to apply.

MyInterview provides hiring managers with a transcript of their interviews. When we inspected our candidate’s transcript, we found that the system interpreted her German words as English words. But the transcript didn’t make any sense.

Instead of scoring our candidate on the content of her answers, the algorithm pulled personality traits from her voice, says Clayton Donnelly, an industrial and organizational psychologist working with MyInterview.

Looks like AI recruiters are already surpassing human recruiters when it comes to cluelessness.

@error_bot xkcd reassuring

• 🔀

• @Zerosquare said in WTF Bites:

"But the transcript didn’t make any sense."

How bad can it be? Well:

"So humidity is desk a beat-up. Sociology, does it iron? Mined material nematode adapt. Secure location, mesons the first half gamma their Fortunes in for IMD and fact long on for pass along to Eurasia and Z this particular location mesons."

Of course, as the summary above says, that doesn't really matter, after all, the algorithm can just pull personality traits from the voice and intonation.

Filed under: Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all; Next project: GAN that changes the voice/intonation to makes people sound humble, adaptable and resilient.; Sociology does iron.

• @HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

baseball is the greatest

Baseball is the most boring sport to watch. I fall asleep after 2 innings.

Hockey is the best. 🇨🇦

• @cvi said in WTF Bites:

Sociology does iron.

487fe83d-60ba-4428-9e84-e3712bf419b8-image.png

• @TimeBandit said in WTF Bites:

Baseball is the most boring sport to watch. I fall asleep after 2 innings.

Eh, what do you know? You're Canadian; you think curling is exciting.

• Banned

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

I know the rules and the ultimate goal (kick the ball into the net), but I don't understand the strategy. (Why did person A kick the ball to person B instead of person C? 🤷♂)

I'd say soccer is one of the easiest team sports to understand tactically. It's all about positioning. Defenders are nearby -> bad pass. No defenders nearby -> good pass. The closer the player is to the opposite goal, the better. You don't even need to really understand the game to see when a team is screwed. Whereas in baseball, if there's any strategy at all, you can't see it, you can only hear about it from the commentators if you understand their jargon.

• Considered Harmful

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

How bad can it be? Well:

"So humidity is desk a beat-up. Sociology, does it iron? Mined material nematode adapt. Secure location, mesons the first half gamma their Fortunes in for IMD and fact long on for pass along to Eurasia and Z this particular location mesons."

Of course, as the summary above says, that doesn't really matter, after all, the algorithm can just pull personality traits from the voice and intonation.

Filed under: Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all; Next project: GAN that changes the voice/intonation to makes people sound humble, adaptable and resilient.; Sociology does iron.

Avoid cackling, at all costs. Any peculiarly long, deep, or hollow laughter is also probably weighted as negative, most likely. Screams in the background can also indicate potential workplace fit issues.

• Considered Harmful

You had me at tits. You should have said that first, vs last.

• @HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

you think curling is exciting.

I don't even call that a sport 🤷♂

• Considered Harmful

Although at the professional level, it seems pretty much all sports these days care more about politics than actually playing the game, so I don't watch baseball any more, either.

Toby faire, it would probably require a superhuman amount of cognitive dissonance to both care about politics and play in games organized by some Arab dictatorship for the UEFA that makes Libya look like a paragon of good governance and transparency.

• Banned

@LaoC I'm just going to grab my :pendant: and point out it wasn't UEFA who did that.

• Considered Harmful

@LaoC I'm just going to grab my :pendant: and point out it wasn't UEFA who did that.

You're right. I can't explain the offside rule either, so fifa shmifa uefa.

• Banned

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

I can't explain the offside rule either

Are we still talking about men pretending to be women?

• Considered Harmful

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

I thought this was about other people's balls? :thonking:

• BINNED

@TimeBandit said in WTF Bites:

I have definitely watched a lot more curling than I’ve watched baseball (which is zero). But then, I’m the kind of guy who enjoys watching billiards or darts. :mlp_shrug:

• Banned

@topspin as someone who watched all four, I'll tell you billiards is by far the most captivating of these. Although snooker is even better.

• Considered Harmful

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

Best to assume all 4 contexts simultaneously from this point forward, really.

• BINNED

@topspin as someone who watched all four, I'll tell you billiards is by far the most captivating of these. Although snooker is even better.

I know, I’ve watched a lot of snooker. Didn’t have time the last two or three years, but I’ve seen all World Cup finals (and a lot of other matches) for a decade or so before that.
    But a single match spanning 35 frames over 2 days is something I can at least understand why other people would find it incredibly boring. They’re wrong, but I get why they‘d think so.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

This should not be at all surprising.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SturgeonsLaw

@TimeBandit said in WTF Bites:

I have definitely watched a lot more curling than I’ve watched baseball (which is zero). But then, I’m the kind of guy who enjoys watching billiards or darts. :mlp_shrug:

Curling is like crown green bowling on ice.

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

I have definitely watched a lot more curling than I’ve watched baseball (which is zero).

I've seen a baseball game live (i.e., in the place they play baseball). Comparing to football: in both cases, a group of people roam around a grassy field with some white lines on it. In baseball, the persons stand around a lot, apparently waiting for something to happen (in contrast, I sat around and waited for something to happen too, so I could definitively feel myself connecting with the players). In football, there's more running involved and less standing around still. I'd say this one goes in football's favour. On the other hand, the baseball game that I was had free food and beer. This hasn't happened with football games so far, so that's one in favour of baseball.

I think I could see myself liking curling. Games seem quieter and less crowded overall, so armed with a good book and a pair of headphones, I could see that being quite enjoyable. Throw in a place that sells decent coffee nearby, and I'm sold.

• Considered Harmful

You had me at tits.

Words I live by.

• Considered Harmful

@cvi said in WTF Bites:

I've seen a baseball game live (i.e., in the place they play baseball).

The weirdest thing is when you go to a live sportsball event but you're so high up in the rafters that the players look like ants, so you watch them on the jumbotron.

• @error said in WTF Bites:

The weirdest thing is when you go to a live sportsball event but you're so high up in the rafters that the players look like ants, so you watch them on the jumbotron.

Yes. In this particular case it was combined with the fact none of people I was there with really had any clue as to what was going on. Probably would have been a better experience overall if the latter wasn't the case (and somebody in our crowd actually had given a damn about the outcome).

But, even so, it seemed that the game wasn't really that important. At least half of the "entertainment" seemed to stem from other sources (various shoutouts, crowd games, the "hug cam", etc etc.).

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

a single match spanning 35 frames over 2 days is something I can at least understand why other people would find it incredibly boring.

I know we're talking about boring games, but no need to drag 🦗🏏 into this. We don't want to put people into a coma.

Filed under: But at least they break for tea.

I know we're talking about boring games, but no need to drag 🦗🏏 into this. We don't want to put people into a coma.

You could probably put up with the T20 variant, which only takes a little over 3 hours at most.

How bad can it be? Well:

Still more sensible than @Gribnit.

Proof:

Avoid cackling, at all costs. Any peculiarly long, deep, or hollow laughter is also probably weighted as negative, most likely. Screams in the background can also indicate potential workplace fit issues.

• @dkf said in WTF Bites:

You could probably put up with the T20 variant,

Is that one of the new forms of COVID, like the delta variant? And it kills you in only 3 hours? Or do you just spend 3 hours wishing it would kill you and end the pain?

I've seen a baseball game live (i.e., in the place they play baseball).

I went to a professional baseball game once.

I left in the middle of the 3rd inning 🤷🏻♂

• @TimeBandit said in WTF Bites:

I left in the middle of the 3rd inning

IIRC we were told they'd stop serving alcoholic beverages at/after the Xth inning. They indeed stopped serving alcoholic beverages at some point, but we never quite figured out the correlation to anything that was happening in the game.