WTF Bites

• Banned

@TimeBandit this doesn't solve anything (see edit above).

• Considered Harmful

I have SVG language support extension installed for VS Code.

I just used the reformat document command, which is only supposed to change whitespace/indentation. I noticed that it inlined the styles from the CSS to the elements they applied to.

What the fuck? How, even?

Workaround: switch language mode to XML, reformat, switch language mode back to SVG.

• First time I've seen this happen with the Notepad++ auto-updater.
    a71325ec-a4eb-4ea6-805a-81413673ad8d-image.png
    It did eventually finish downloading, but progress was frozen like this for a while.

• Considered Harmful

@Gąska said in WTF Bites:

Edit: That's the worst part about Python 2 deprecation. For over a decade everyone lived happily, being purposely ignorant of the existence of Python 3, and everything worked. But now everyone is in sudden rush to move to Python 3, and each team is at a varying stage of finishing it. So it's guaranteed the Python version will be wrong for at least some important programs for at least the next 12 months.

Considering it's been 11 years since Python 3 was released, the saga of Perl 6Raku doesn't seem to epicglacial any more.

• Considered Harmful

@LB_ said in WTF Bites:

First time I've seen this happen with the Notepad++ auto-updater.
    It did eventually finish downloading, but progress was frozen like this for a while.

1L<<63. I'm having a hard time reconstructing the sequence of unsigned/signed confusion and over-/underflow fuckup you'd need to get that in a percentage calculation.

• Banned

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

@LB_ said in WTF Bites:

First time I've seen this happen with the Notepad++ auto-updater.

1L<<63. I'm having a hard time reconstructing the sequence of unsigned/signed confusion and over-/underflow fuckup you'd need to get that in a percentage calculation.

Error code interpreted as number.

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

@MrL “80 blaze it” 🇫🇷

BF641E35-B964-4266-BF3F-8E5EE06DB16D.jpeg

English can also do that, using the "score" numeric term:
    Four score and seventeen

† ... years ago, our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. ...

• @anonymous234 said in WTF Bites:

It's pretty jarring to click on a small textbox and suddenly have it take up 10 lines if there's no transition.

It is?
    08751bf9-bb0e-4422-9779-4c45f3f123f6-image.png
    c9542cef-56ce-4486-9a3e-10fa0e57df62-image.png

• @Gąska said in WTF Bites:

It's 2019. Why the fuck does every Python program STILL use python as interpreter instead of either python2 or python3!?

Because of histerical raisins. And stupidity. Never underestimate the power of stupidity.

And python2 is a symlink to Python 2, and python3 is a symlink to Python 3, and both of these have been standard for almost as long as Python 3 exists.

Linuxen generally do have python2, but I am not sure about other environments. That said, all environments that have Python 3 do have python3, so any script that wants Python 3 should say so.

Thankfully, Aptitude doesn't have any package intergrity checks, so hand-editing the file in /usr/bin worked like a charm.

:wtf:⁉ You are talking about dpkg-installed script? Now that is simply a bug. In Debian and derivatives, /usr/bin/python is Python 2 and as far as I can tell is promised to stay that way for milenia to come, because Debian generally does care about backward compati(de)bility. So anything packaged as deb should know where to get the right interpreter.

Side WTF: the shebang said /usr/bin/python, not /usr/bin/env python - so just setting up the environment right wouldn't work.

The /usr/bin/env is right for that weird hack that are virtual environments (venv). Venv has the python interpreter linked in bin/python and bin/python2 or bin/python3 depending on the version, and there is a bin/activate script to add it to path. However that is actually not very ergonomic, because you have to fiddle with path of the launching shell. So when you install in a venv, the distutils (or setuptools) inject the specific path.

But if it is packaged, it is not supposed to use any venv, so having an absolute path is correct. It's just that if is in a deb package, it should really know which one.

Also the distutils or setuptools installation machinery, which debhelper uses under the hood when building a Debian package of Python code, should fill in the correct interpreter. So whoever made that broken package must have fucked up a lot.

Apropos distutils. While they are ostensibly part of the standard library, most Linux distributions don't include them in the base package (libpython3-stdlib in Debian). The more reasonable ones do include at least distutils.version though, because things tend to depend on it even when they are not otherwise trying to install any python modules. E.g. Ansible uses it when gathering facts, so it has to be present on the target system.

That's the worst part about Python 2 deprecation. For over a decade everyone lived happily, being purposely ignorant of the existence of Python 3, and everything worked. But now everyone is in sudden rush to move to Python 3, and each team is at a varying stage of finishing it. So it's guaranteed the Python version will be wrong for at least some important programs for at least the next 12 months.

I think it's not so much Python 2 deprecation as all the features that were added in Python 3 over time that are never going to be backported.

The right approach would have been to add a backward compatibiilty mode to the interpreter that could load Python 2 code into Python 3. It even kind-of exists—there is the 2to3 tool and it's lib2to3—undocumented—library. However, as far as I can tell there is no reasonably integrated way for using it.

@TimeBandit said in WTF Bites:

Do it the Debian way

That guy should be banned from the internet. In Debian python means python2 and should keep meaning that. Everybody using Python 3 can say python3.

• @LaoC said in WTF Bites:

Perl 6Raku

Is there still anybody interested in that‽

• @Jaloopa said in WTF Bites:

@levicki said in WTF Bites:

I don't think writing literally 5 lines of actual and rather simple code to get what you want can be called coding

So what do you call it? ******* spiders?

Barking spiders? Some code might seem like that.

• @BernieTheBernie said in WTF Bites:

Learning a grammar with a few thousand exceptions is an other thing...

English?

• @djls45 said in WTF Bites:

@BernieTheBernie said in WTF Bites:

Learning a grammar with a few thousand exceptions is an other thing...

English?

English has weird spelling, but it does not have all the cases and genders and flexing. German does, but it's still much simpler as it has reduced the cases down to 4 and it flexes all words of the same gender the same way. Czech has all 7 cases, 4 ways of flexing feminine and neutral words each and 6 ways of flexing masculine ones (one of which curiously matches one of the feminine cases), and verbs are gendered too, though only in past tense, and their gender has to match the subject. And while the spelling is much more regular than English, there are still tricky parts. The ‘i’ and ‘y’ are generally pronounced the same, and in various contexts a voiced consonant is pronounced non-voiced or the other way around, mainly in compound words and the prefixes ‘s’ and ‘z’, so there are still plenty of cases you just have to remember.

• Banned

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

That's the worst part about Python 2 deprecation. For over a decade everyone lived happily, being purposely ignorant of the existence of Python 3, and everything worked. But now everyone is in sudden rush to move to Python 3, and each team is at a varying stage of finishing it. So it's guaranteed the Python version will be wrong for at least some important programs for at least the next 12 months.

I think it's not so much Python 2 deprecation as all the features that were added in Python 3 over time that are never going to be backported.

I think it's definitely deprecation. 10 years passed and nobody did anything to port their old shit over. They didn't give a single fuck about all the new features for so long, but now that the announced-forever-ago EOL date is approaching fast, suddenly everyone releases Python 3 compatibility updates to their old programs. For example, Mercurial only supports Python 3 since May this year, and it's still in "beta".

• Considered Harmful

@Gąska 10... wait, this was released in 200 and fucking 8? Good god developers are awful.

• @Bulb English spelling is one of the hard parts of English grammar, as it can affect much of the rest. Verb conjugations and noun and adjective declensions may have fewer options, but they more than make up for it in the number of different classes for each, to the point that they aren't even numbered like most other languages'. (I will readily admit, I do like the simplicity of having just one set of auxiliary verb combinations to learn. My personal favorite, though rarely useful, is the future perfect progressive in the passive voice.) Furthermore, word order (e.g. ordering of the various kinds of adjectives), pronunciation (related to spelling, but also sometimes frustratingly independent of it), homonyms, homographs, synonyms, near-synonyms, near-homonyms, punctuation (e.g. hyphenation), cultural variants, and so on, can have drastic impacts on the meaning of the terms or of the sentence as a whole.

Although, I'm not sure whether English pronunciation itself is a great difficulty or not, since there are so many accents and sloppy pronunciations used all over the world, and most English-speakers can generally understand each other fairly well, or at least well enough to get along.

• Java Dev

@pie_flavor I looked it up.

Python 2.7 ... was released on June 26, 2009. ... Python 2.7 was the last release in the 2.x series. In November 2014, it was announced that Python 2.7 would be supported until [January 1,] 2020, but users were encouraged to move to Python 3 as soon as possible.

So, plenty :kneeling_warthog: going on amongst Python developers.

Although, I'm not sure whether English pronunciation itself is a great difficulty or not

Anecdotally, I saw a documentary once where a science guy (I think? I don't remember) went to a school (middle school I'd say? Something like 10-12 yo children?) to teach them something, and started by showing them the name of the topic (some kind of sciency word, not an overlong chemical compound name but something they'd never heard of before) written on a piece of paper, without speaking it of course. He then asked the children to pronounce it, and not a single one of them (at least as the documentary was showing it) got even vaguely close to the actual pronunciation.

So yeah, I'm going to say that English pronunciation is difficult.

• Banned

@remi especially compared to Slavic languages, where there's approximately one possible pronunciation per letter on average. Probably others too, but I don't know enough to be sure.

English spelling is one of the hard parts of English grammar, as it can affect much of the rest.

Non-acknowledge. Spelling is independent of the rest, in most¹ languages, as structure of the structure of the sentence does not affect how each word is written and the structure of the sentence is the same whether you speak it or write it.

@djls45 said in WTF Bites:

Furthermore, word order (e.g. ordering of the various kinds of adjectives), pronunciation (related to spelling, but also sometimes frustratingly independent of it), homonyms, homographs, synonyms, near-synonyms, near-homonyms, punctuation (e.g. hyphenation), cultural variants, and so on, can have drastic impacts on the meaning of the terms or of the sentence as a whole.

Like in every other language. English is not significantly harder in any of these aspects than other major languages, and is generally on the simpler side. Besides the spelling and sloppy pronunciation, English is a really easy language as far as languages go.

¹ There probably is a weird language somewhere that writes the same word differently based on its position in the sentence, but it isn't any of the Indo-European family.

@remi especially compared to Slavic languages, where there's approximately one possible pronunciation per letter on average. Probably others too, but I don't know enough to be sure.

The Southern Slavic languages and all written in Cyrillic generally transcribe foreign words according to pronunciation, but Czech generally sticks to the original spelling of loan words, and then very slowly adapts it as they get more usage, so there is still plenty of exceptions though.

• executescript(sql_script):
    This is a nonstandard convenience method for executing multiple SQL statements at once. It issues a COMMIT statement first, then executes the SQL script it gets as a parameter.

:wtf: is with the sqlite3 binding spuriously issuing commit on various occasions. At least they finally

Changed in version 3.6: sqlite3 used to implicitly commit an open transaction before DDL statements. This is no longer the case.

which was utterly brain-dead (it was a bug-to-bug compatibility with MySQL).

• 🚽 Regular

one possible pronunciation per letter on average

Are there letters with more than one possible pronunciation?

• Java Dev

@Zecc Standalone letters are pronounced the same every time. But in combination with other letters and based off position in the word, the pronunciation of a letter can change. I think that goes for pretty much every language.

• @Zecc said in WTF Bites:

one possible pronunciation per letter on average

Are there letters with more than one possible pronunciation?

There is something ghotiy with English pronunciation.

• Banned

@Zecc Polish has a few digraphs, which are pronounced differently from either letter they consist of, but if these letters appear next to each other, it's always pronounced like that digraph and never as individual letters - with literally only one exception in the entire dictionary: "zamarznąć", where "r" and "z", which normally form a digraph, are pronounced separately. Also, loan words tend to keep original spelling and pronunciation, unless they don't, in which case spelling is altered and pronunciation is changed to match it following the regular Polish rules.

There's also voicing and devoicing, but that mostly falls under "whatever comes naturally", and people probably won't notice if you get it wrong.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Zecc Polish has a few digraphs, which are pronounced differently from either letter they consist of, but if these letters appear next to each other, it's always pronounced like that digraph and never as individual letters - with literally only one exception in the entire dictionary: "zamarznąć"

There's also 'budżet'.

And Tarzan, but that's a name.

• Banned

@MrL said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc Polish has a few digraphs, which are pronounced differently from either letter they consist of, but if these letters appear next to each other, it's always pronounced like that digraph and never as individual letters - with literally only one exception in the entire dictionary: "zamarznąć"

There's also 'budżet'.

Two! Two exceptions in the entire dictionary!

...I'll come in again.

And Tarzan, but that's a name.

And a loan word. Though I like to pronounce it like a digraph (especially since "tarzać" is a real Polish word, meaning "to wallow".)

@MrL said in WTF Bites:

There's also 'budżet'.

Two! Two exceptions in the entire dictionary!

What's additionally interesting is that it's a borrowed word ('budget') and the original has digraph pronunciation, but polish version doesn't.

• Banned

@MrL probably because English "budget" wasn't the actual origin.

Also - names of languages don't get capitalized, as can be seen in the post above.

most English-speakers can generally understand each other fairly well, or at least well enough to get along.

I guess you don't get voicemails from the South Asian recruiters I get voicemails from.

• 🚽 Regular

I wanted to make a joke about the average number of pronunciations per letter being one implying some letters had a number of pronunciations below one, dammit.

• Banned

@Zecc knee.

• @remi said in WTF Bites:

He then asked the children to pronounce it, and not a single one of them (at least as the documentary was showing it) got even vaguely close to the actual pronunciation.

As a native English speaker, the most difficult thing is figuring out which syllable gets the stress, because there is no general rule for that. All the other rules have lots of exceptions, but for stress, well, you can't have exceptions if you don't have a rule.

Even educated speakers get it wrong. I take a medication, the name of which is four syllables long. The patient information sheet that comes with it includes a phonetic spelling of the name, with the second syllable capitalized to indicate the stress. The last time I had the prescription filled, the pharmacist "corrected" my pronunciation to put the stress on the third syllable (which is the way I would probably pronounce it if I hadn't read the information sheet).

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

most English-speakers can generally understand each other fairly well, or at least well enough to get along.

I guess you don't get voicemails from the South Asian recruiters I get voicemails from.

I've probably told that story before: once on my holiday in Ireland in a pub at night I had to translate between a NYC tourist and the Irish local who tried to flirt with her. 😆

• BINNED

@Zecc knee.

Queue.
    ("The ueue is silent")

• @topspin said in WTF Bites:

@HardwareGeek said in WTF Bites:

I've probably told that story before: once on my holiday in Ireland in a pub at night I had to translate between a NYC tourist and the Irish local who tried to flirt with her. 😆

I did that translation between two native Swedes once.
    The guy was from Blekinge, and the girl from Norrbotten. One from the far south, and one from the far north of the country.

It's pretty amusing translating that particular kind of interactions.

• 🚽 Regular

@Zecc knee.

Are you knighting me?

• Banned

@Zecc ni!

(How many more Monty Python references am I allowed in this topic?)

• @Gąska Stop it, this is getting quite silly.

• Considered Harmful

This post is deleted!

• 🚽 Regular

In an alternate universe, the conversation proceeded as I was hoping:

Zecc Are you knighting me?

Gąska That's actually another example of a word where k is silent.

Zecc I khnow.

• Considered Harmful

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

Perl 6Raku

Is there still anybody interested in that‽

Apparently. I mean, it's very baroque but also quite elegant. Definitely not for production but nerdy enough to give it a go.

• @Zecc said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc knee.

Are you knighting me?

I figured he was taking :kneeling_warthog: to the next level...

• Considered Harmful

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

English spelling is one of the hard parts of English grammar, as it can affect much of the rest.

Non-acknowledge. Spelling is independent of the rest, in most¹ languages, as structure of the structure of the sentence does not affect how each word is written and the structure of the sentence is the same whether you speak it or write it.

Sure does. Or how do you pronounce "lead"?
    You can lead a horse to water, but can you make it drink lead?
    It's only where the word occurs in the sentence that gives you a clue what word class and thus pronunciation is meant. Off the to of my head I can't come up with a completely ambiguous example but it should be possible.

Furthermore, word order (e.g. ordering of the various kinds of adjectives), pronunciation (related to spelling, but also sometimes frustratingly independent of it), homonyms, homographs, synonyms, near-synonyms, near-homonyms, punctuation (e.g. hyphenation), cultural variants, and so on, can have drastic impacts on the meaning of the terms or of the sentence as a whole.

Like in every other language. English is not significantly harder in any of these aspects than other major languages, and is generally on the simpler side. Besides the spelling and sloppy pronunciation, English is a really easy language as far as languages go.

"Easiest language in the world to speak badly".

Depends on which of the two homographs it is. It still does not have any effect on other aspects of the grammar. You still order the words the same way, and flex them the same way and so on. Even if they are different words that happen to be written the same. Happens in other languages too.

@dcon said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc said in WTF Bites:

@Zecc knee.

Are you knighting me?

I figured he was taking :kneeling_warthog: to the next level...

Gorram-- can't even finish saying "kneeling Warthog" all the way....

• In the "In other news today..." thread:

e08bcb63-d6cc-4210-a697-53b8ed02ef8c-image.png

@topspin, I'm on to your time traveling habits. I cannot with good conscience stay quiet in the face of such blatant disregard for causality.

• Considered Harmful

@Bulb said in WTF Bites:

@LaoC said in WTF Bites:

Depends on which of the two homographs it is. It still does not have any effect on other aspects of the grammar. You still order the words the same way, and flex them the same way and so on. Even if they are different words that happen to be written the same. Happens in other languages too.

I'm not trying to say that was somehow an exclusive feature of English, but it's probably more frequent in English than in many other languages, which would explain the prevalence of puns in English-language humou?r.
    You only order and inflect the words the same way if you happen to have picked the right spelling, otherwise you just end up with something plain wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgdceI098dQ
    (even though the English subtitles for bad English aren't quite getting it across)

You only order and inflect the words the same way if you happen to have picked the right spelling, otherwise you just end up with something plain wrong.

You order and inflext the words the same way if you happen to have picked the right word. Homographs (and homophones) are still different words.

• So, for my current job we are using VS Code...

Right now, when I use Ctrl-C (intending to copy something), I get an error message:

command 'multiclip.copy' not found

Of course, cut and paste are also broken...
    Just... erm... how does an editor even manage to break copy/paste?