WTF Bites

• BINNED

@JBert it’s his birthday. He was born in 1975, on the 18th day of the 93rd month.

• @JBert said in WTF Bites:

@aitap What are we looking at here? Is that some kind of user identifier or a license ID?

that's a Google Analytics ID (UA stands for Urchin Analytics, the original name)

• @Gąska said in WTF Bites:

@sloosecannon said in WTF Bites:

@Gąska said in WTF Bites:

It should be effortless. Having an old electrical installation shouldn't impact your quality of life so much.

No, no it shouldn't. Having an old electrical installation is unsafe.

Agreed. But ungrounded 120V sockets is at the very end of the list of problems with it, in order of importance.

If you want to cut corners and endanger yourself and anyone else who lives with you, that's your choice, but don't expect people to design things to make it easy to do so.

Copying for bonus visibility: stop saying it's dangerous. The health risk is negligibly small (comparable with sneezing yourself to death), and device damage risk pales in comparison to how much more usable it makes the device in certain (very common, especially in USA) situations.

I'm guessing you've never been shocked by one of these "not-dangerous" old ungrounded outlets. There are lots of older houses around here with ungrounded outlets, leading to a non-negligible voltage difference across the metal cases of anything plugged into different circuits which you're generally unaware of until you happen to touch them at the same time...it's not fun.

• 261e71d8-3b8a-4e42-bbe5-33c40c8c0921-image.png
    What the? Why would libraries for accessing databases need that disclaimer? I mean I sure fucking hope they don't store my data or send it to anyone I don't explicitly tell them to.

Is printer paper going to need a disclaimer that says "paper may contain private data if you print private data on it"?

• @anonymous234 said in WTF Bites:

261e71d8-3b8a-4e42-bbe5-33c40c8c0921-image.png
    What the? Why would libraries for accessing databases need that disclaimer? I mean I sure fucking hope they don't store my data or send it to anyone I don't explicitly tell them to.

Is printer paper going to need a disclaimer that says "paper may contain private data if you print private data on it"?

Man...... GDPR has sure gotten some strange victims.

• @Vixen Oh hello there, did @Perverted_Vixen and @Unperverted-Vixen finally fuse together?

• @mott555 said in WTF Bites:

There are lots of older houses around here with ungrounded outlets, leading to a non-negligible voltage difference across the metal cases of anything plugged into different circuits which you're generally unaware of until you happen to touch them at the same time...it's not fun.

My parents live in one of those houses (there's a bunch of grounded outlets, but there's a large number of ungrounded ones, and those are mostly more conveniently located). The back-plate of their router is still on my mental "don't touch without taking precautions" list. I think most of the other ones have been eliminated over the years. (I don't think any of them would ever expose oneself to the full live feed, though. But definitively enough to wake you up...)

• @anonymous234 ¯\(ツ)/¯ Iunno. Who are they anyway?

• @anonymous234 said in WTF Bites:

@Vixen Oh hello there, did @Perverted_Vixen and @Unperverted-Vixen finally fuse together?

That may explain the recent server cooties. Couldn't handle the energies released by the pervered and unperverted parts annihilating.

• And then the murders began.

@anonymous234 Fortunately, no.

@Vixen Other users. :) @Perverted_Vixen is no longer following the forums, but everybody's stuck with me as long as that Hangman bot is around. 💉

• @Unperverted-Vixen Ah, so I see.

Hello apparent alter ego of mine. Nice to see you're doing well.

• Just managed to print and perma-delete a bunch of emails because Firefox stole focus while I was typing in the password to my password manager application.

I hate computers.

• @levicki said in WTF Bites:

is having a printer

It's an office printer I never use, automagically discovered by my operating system.

@levicki said in WTF Bites:

reading mails from Firefox.

🤷♂

@mott555 :wtf: is having a printer and reading mails from Firefox.

I have a printer...... somewhere.....

I think it's in the hall closet still in the box i threw it in when i moved last..... It should still be good since it's a laser printer from back when they built those fuckers to last centuries.

I'm not sure what i did with the Raspberry Pi I cobbled together to be a CUPS print server so i could enable web printing on a printer that only has parallel port communications... I think that's in the bedroom closet in a box labeled MISC?

As for FireFox.... yeah that got yanked ages ago. though i do have to re-uninstall it periodically as the helpdesk software we have detects it as Missing periodically and installs it for me to be "helpful". Internet Explorer for the win!

That's what you get for leaving this box checked:
    https://what.thedailywtf.com/assets/uploads/files/1568044494143-538bffb5-0821-4e05-b69f-61d694bedcf4-image.png

This computer's Linux. It takes divine intervention to get this printer to show up on Windows systems, but on Linux Mint, it shows up whether you want it or not.

Yeah, proper email reading is from Outlook where you can accidentally perma-delete everything and then go home claiming you have no more work to do.

I don't know if Outlook for Linux exists. And I'd be afraid to try it, to be honest.

• @Vixen said in WTF Bites:

Internet Explorer for the win!

To win the award for browser that sucks most? 🏆

• @TimeBandit said in WTF Bites:

@Vixen said in WTF Bites:

That depends.

Which version are you going to award it to? Cause there are a lot of browsers worse than IE11.

It takes divine intervention to get this printer to show up on Windows systems, but on Linux Mint, it shows up whether you want it or not.

Obviously, the problem is it's a Linux-hardware printer 🐠

Just managed to print and perma-delete a bunch of emails because Firefox stole focus while I was typing in the password to my password manager application.

I hate computers.

Okay, whatever key combos I accidentally hit that for some stupid reason exist in my master password, also disabled the ability to click and drag emails into folders in the webmail client.

And I don't have Control or Alt or anything weird in my password.

Cause there are a lot of browsers worse than IE11.

Yes. They made 10 worse versions before it :trollface:

Cause there are a lot of browsers worse than IE11.

Yes. They made 10 worse versions before it :trollface:

Right. Which means they have a lot fewer bad versions.

Chrome has 78 bad versions (if you don't count the current major revision)

And Firefox has got to be like in the thousands by now.

Okay that's probably an exaggeration, and version 1.5 was pretty slick I'll give you, but it's all been downhill for the product since then.

Compared to that track record, taking only 10 versions to get something genuinely good is quite the achievement.

@mott555 said in WTF Bites:

This computer's Linux. It takes divine intervention to get this printer to show up on Windows systems, but on Linux Mint, it shows up whether you want it or not.

Wait, so you are saying that Linux is even worse than Windows when it comes to ignoring the user input?

I don't know if Outlook for Linux exists. And I'd be afraid to try it, to be honest.

I hear it works under Wine.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=34

looks like versions newer than 2010 aren't tested (not sure why the 2013 listing is described as "internal version") and even then it's only got a silver rating.....

probably better to use a VM at this point..... or a native client that understands IMAP/Exchange (which i think is all of them these days?)

Just managed to print and perma-delete a bunch of emails because Firefox stole focus while I was typing in the password to my password manager application.

I hate computers.

Okay, whatever key combos I accidentally hit that for some stupid reason exist in my master password, also disabled the ability to click and drag emails into folders in the webmail client.

And I don't have Control or Alt or anything weird in my password.

Emails found. They ended up inside an "Archive" folder that I never knew existed because it was hidden behind a few collapsing button thingies.

looks like versions newer than 2010 aren't tested (not sure why the 2013 listing is described as "internal version") and even then it's only got a silver rating.....

probably better to use a VM at this point..... or a native client that understands IMAP/Exchange (which i think is all of them these days?)

Or you could use Crossover:

if it works for you, sure.

or you coudl just run windows. it's not THAT bad.

hell my login shell to my linus servers these days is pwsh, and that works just fine.

you coudl just run windows. it's not THAT bad.

Yes, it is :fu:

you coudl just run windows. it's not THAT bad.

Yes, it is :fu:

/shrug

If you want to use Windows software, it makes sense to run Windows OS.

If you don't want to then you're stuck with

• Doing without, with all the disadvantages of being able to access documents and files created with the Windows based software.
    • Running some sort of emulator, with all the disadvantages and incompatibilities that they come with.
    • Running a virtual machine, with all the disadvantages of resource expenditure that includes when running multiple operating systems at the same time on one machine.
    • Doing all or none of the above, and complaining about it online.

I prefer just to use the OS that has the software i need to run my job, and once I've done that I might as well use it for personal, especially since it comes pre-installed on all the computers you can buy.

Is way less effort that way. And I like taking the less effort approach.

a457ac2f-3efa-4992-bfdd-399de3c1c7fd-image.png

• @hungrier said in WTF Bites:

a457ac2f-3efa-4992-bfdd-399de3c1c7fd-image.png

Funny you should mention management.....

I prefer just to use the OS that has the software i need to run my job

So you don't use WSL?

All the software I need are available on my OS of choice 🧘♂

So you don't use WSL?

Played with it. Haven't found it necessary in ages.

It's really neat, and a welcome addition to the product, but..... yeah just not that much need for developing C# apps that are going to run on windows servers. and the other language i play with also works just as well for Windows as Linux as Chrome.

• d1e37994-a149-4aeb-aad8-b6414e6d53d5-image.png

• @mott555 Who posts graphs with unlabeled axis? what's the magnitude of the graph? It's super misleading if you mean the vertical scale to go from 10% to 20% but present it as if it foes from 0% to 100%!

Who posts graphs with unlabeled axis?

Funny enough, since I drew it up in LibreOffice it took a bit to figure out how to turn off the labels. Last time I did charts in a recent version of Excel, it took me a long time to figure out how to turn labels on.

• New WTF Bite: Got linked to a Bloomberg news article. No matter how many times I click the "I'm not a robot" checkbox, it says my request looks suspicious and presents me with a new "I'm not a robot" checkbox.

I was kind of curious about whatever test the 777X apparently failed, but I guess I'll never know.

No matter how many times I click the "I'm not a robot" checkbox, it says my request looks suspicious and presents me with a new "I'm not a robot" checkbox.

Just admit you're a robot :trollface:

No matter how many times I click the "I'm not a robot" checkbox, it says my request looks suspicious and presents me with a new "I'm not a robot" checkbox.

Just admit you're a robot :trollface:

If they gave me the option, I'd click it.

since it comes pre-installed on all the computers you can buy.

It's really neat, and a welcome addition to the product

What about

If you want to use Linux software, it makes sense to run Linux OS

ZaReason lets you pick your distro. Or no OS at all.

It's really neat, and a welcome addition to the product

What about

If you want to use Linux software, it makes sense to run Linux OS

you're not wrong.

and if i wanted to use linux software i'd use linux, or WSL which is just a really nicely integrated VM (or at least that's correct enough)

but see....... 99.999% of the time i don't want to run linux software, and for that 0.001% of the time i do, there's generally a windows build of the same software I can use instead.

@TimeBandit said in WTF Bites:

Are they still significantly more expensive than buying or building an equivalent computer and installing Linux yourself?

Last time i looked at them (or a service similar enough that it's getting conflated in my memory) the systems were essentially Dell/Gateway/HP machines that didn't have the case badging, and which installed Linux over the OEM install of Windows, meaning you were paying for Windows, then paying someone to install Linux over the Windows version it came with.

So, you know..... not exactly a good option for someone who doesn't want to pay the "Microsoft Tax"

• @jinpa said in WTF Bites:

ZaReason lets you pick your distro. Or no OS at all.

When I bought mine, it came with Ubuntu, which I wiped and installed Debian. I just added their repo for the drivers.

I bought it in March 2013 and it still works (except the battery) 🧘

Are they still significantly more expensive than buying or building an equivalent computer and installing Linux yourself?

What about

🤷🏻♂

Last time i looked at them (or a service similar enough that it's getting conflated in my memory) the systems were essentially Dell/Gateway/HP machines that didn't have the case badging, and which installed Linux over the OEM install of Windows, meaning you were paying for Windows, then paying someone to install Linux over the Windows version it came with.

These are built with Linux in mind. There isn't even a Windows key.

Money is congruent to effort since it takes effort to acquire money. Thus I'm willing to spend money to avoid effort, but at some point the effort to earn the money outweighs the savings in effort, so...... there's that.

These are built with Linux in mind. There isn't even a Windows key.

My DasKeyboard4 doesn't have a Windows key either. It's got a Paragon Interrupt key that Windows interprets as a Windows key, so that's just a different key cap. :-P

Still, it's good to have options i guess.

Yes. And not many laptop can handle 64GB of RAM (last time I checked).

Yes. And not many laptop can handle 64GB of RAM (last time I checked).

Well yes, but then I've yet to find a laptop light enough, and with a low enough TDP, that it can be called a "Lap"-top (instead of a "fuck this thing is heavy and hot!"-top) that has the horsepower to actually make efficient use of 64GB of RAM.

actually now that I think of it, there's few enough desktops that have enough horsepower and are used by someone that has a workload that uses/needs that much RAM

Sure there are such desktops, and workloads too, but really they're not exactly.... you know.... common. so the fact that laptops tend to max out at 32 GB of RAM is not that surprising.

have enough horsepower and are used by someone that has a workload that uses/needs that much RAM

Obviously, you don't use virtual machines

If you want to use Linux software, it makes sense to run Linux OSHardware

🚞

have enough horsepower and are used by someone that has a workload that uses/needs that much RAM

Obviously, you don't use virtual machines

Not simultaneously, no. I find one at a time more than sufficient.

That depends.

Which version are you going to award it to? Cause there are a lot of browsers worse than IE11.

Such as IE10, IE9, IE8...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I get it that people forget to disable it when they get back from vacation, but how hard is to not show this retarded notification everywhere in the GUI when the $current_date > $start_date? && $current_date <= $end_date?

You have an OOO set when you appear to be in the office - I think the notification is reasonable.