Wordpress.... I hate you.

• @Yamikuronue I have to admit, I'm curious for your experience.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Arantor It's not as complicated as you might think once you've set up the initial project.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@Arantor said in Wordpress.... I hate you.:

using GitHub as a quasi-CMS is orders of magnitude more complex than the typical WP user is able (or inclined to want) to deal with.

For sure. Hell, Wordpress is too complicated for a bunch of my users: "There were so many buttons I didn't know what to click so I went back to Facebook and uploaded the images there." This after I made them a handbook with screenshots walking them through basic tasks (adding a blog post, adding an event to our calendar, sending a user an invite to edit)

• @dkf for you and I, sure. For the average WP user that is a totally different story. We are not "non technical people". We don't require WYSIWYG for formatting, we don't need or want our hands held. Need some functionality the core doesn't provide? We can build it.

We are the 1%. Seriously, it is a thing I learned hanging around SMF, actual users are a completely different breed to us. And we keep forgetting it. The WP folks, for all their shortcomings, generally haven't.

• @xaade said in Wordpress.... I hate you.:

@ben_lubar No, you do....

I don't know of any other definition for a run-time interpreter.

Fun Fact: The term 'compiler' in programming originally referred to something completely different from the program translators known today, being more closely related to linkers. The early compilers were basically library managers: they would keep a record which punch cards and/or tapes a set of subroutines were on, and select the ones which would need to be queued up by the operators before a program ran. The first of these appeared in (I think) 1948, as standalone hardware sub-systems - IIRC, they weren't connected to the computer at all - which not only predates the first modern compilers, it predates the first automatic assembler by about a year - the subroutines it collated were in hand-assembled machine code.

Keep in mind that hand-assembly was still a common practice into the late 1950s, and still seen into the 1960s fairly often (as 'The Story of Mel' attests). This made sense in the early days, and not just because of the difficulty of writing an assembler; when the mainframe is a single CPU with a clock speed in the 1-3 megaHertz range (a fast system in the early and mid 1950s, with most being around 50 kHz, and some as low as 2kHz) and a MTBF of maybe six or seven hours, and running a program cost around $1000/hr, using an assembler was too expensive. Even in 1955, von Neumann could say, "who needs an assembler when I've got grad students?", and mean it.

I'm not sure how the term shifted to mean a program for translating high-level-language source code into low-level code, but since it seems to have first been applied to Flow-Matic and Autocode, my guess is they weren't looking at those notations as languages per se, but as a kind of glue for connecting a series of subroutines. Given the limits of the early high-level compilers prior to FORTRAN, this would have been a perfectly reasonable viewpoint.

As another aside, bytecode interpreters were also from the late 1940s, and were used for much the same purpose - the floating-point interpreters of the late 1940s and early 1950s were used mainly as a way to make working with the software floating-point libraries a lot less punitive, and as I understand it, the machine-code program would inline the FP interpreter code and pass an address to it to the interpreter in order to get the calculations done - sort of the opposite of inline assembly code today.

• @Arantor said in Wordpress.... I hate you.:

Jesus, you don't get it, do you?

Yes, I do. I said so at least once.

@Gurth said in Wordpress.... I hate you.:

My guess is those plugins work by eval()ing the code you give them and returning the result as the plugin’s output.

Sorry, I tried to say that much.

By default behavior, I mean, it could look for <?php ?> and eval it. But, the disadvantage is that it can't be mixed, every <?php ?> would have to be self contained.

We are the 1%

Fuck that. I'm not paying that much in taxes.

@ScholRLEA said in Wordpress.... I hate you.:

Even in 1955, von Neumann could say, "who needs an assembler when I've got grad students?", and mean it.

Given how much advanced time one would need before having a slot to run a program. There's no reason why you couldn't roll the machine language yourself. Assemblers don't do THAT much.

• @xaade That was rather his point - the quote was from an infamous tirade of his, when he was berating one of his students for wasting time writing an assembler - not the programmer's time, the computer's time. Mind you, most of the time he wasn't writing the code himself, anyway (the aforementioned grad students were), and when he did, he was doing it in exactly that manner.

• @dkf said in Wordpress.... I hate you.:

I am so tempted to do something unwise now…

That, it would be...

I can't imagine what.... I mean C#... could do anything to the server that the user had permissions for.

It's great for making a CSCScript, or whatever program you choose to execute "C# scripts".

• @ScholRLEA

Oh.... gah.... He meant...

I thought he meant that he had grad students trained so that they would write their own machine code.

He was actually assigning grad students to assemble his code into machine language?

I'd be like, "You want this to be an internship. Make it a formal one. Unpaid is fine. I'm not wasting my time working a job that I don't get to put on my resume".

Man, programmers have always had a history of being under-appreciated. It's no wonder. It started in college.

• @Yamikuronue said in Wordpress.... I hate you.:

using GitHub as a quasi-CMS is orders of magnitude more complex than the typical WP user is able (or inclined to want) to deal with.

For sure. Hell, Wordpress is too complicated for a bunch of my users: "There were so many buttons I didn't know what to click so I went back to Facebook and uploaded the images there." This after I made them a handbook with screenshots walking them through basic tasks (adding a blog post, adding an event to our calendar, sending a user an invite to edit)

You can't fix stupid :rolleyes:

@ScholRLEA

Oh.... gah.... He meant...

I thought he meant that he had grad students trained so that they would write their own machine code.

He was actually assigning grad students to assemble his code into machine language?

I'm not entirely sure, but my impression was that the common practice - for everyone, not just professors - was to first write out an algorithm, then use a kind of scratch mnemonics to sketch the program out, then use a coding sheet to hand-assemble the machine code based on that. It wasn't uncommon for a professor or lead programmer to hand someone else the mnemonics sheet and tell them to finish it for them, though.

Man, programmers have always had a history of being under-appreciated. It's no wonder. It started in college.

Mind you, these were usually done as student jobs rather than just being part of the expected work of the grad students; a small stipend was usually involved, maybe as much as $1/hr (not too shabby in 1955, actually). Still, it was basically considered clerical work, so yeah, they were definitely under-appreciated to a degree even Alex St. Asshole might object to.

• @xaade Hate leads to PHP... sounds about right 😁
    0_1461596510891_trollEmperor.jpg

• @Vaire I do not have enough upboats.

@Vaire I do not have enough upboats.

0_1461597934227_youGetAnUpboat.jpg

• @Yamikuronue said in Wordpress.... I hate you.:

Wordpress is too complicated for a bunch of my users

Someone I know had much the opposite complaint: used to Joomla or Drupal or whatever it was, she somehow couldn’t really get the hang of WordPress — if you ask me exactly because WordPress tries to be relatively uncomplicated. (This was somewhat problematic for me, as she was the one responsible for the content of a site that I did the maintenance and general technical stuff for.)

@xaade said in Wordpress.... I hate you.:

By default behavior, I mean, it could look for and eval it. But, the disadvantage is that it can't be mixed, every would have to be self contained.

The comment tags wouldn’t even be necessary if WordPress were to run it through its normal processing routines. However, I have this sneaking suspicion that it doesn’t do that because the vast majority of WordPress users don’t need it. You, me, and most folks on TDWTF, sure, we might be glad to have a feature like that, but the average blogger? In which case it’s better to disable inline PHP entirely in the interest of security, I’d say, and leave those who really do want it the ability to install a plugin to handle it. Which also has the advantage that you can turn all that code off in one go by disabling the plugin, for example if there’s an important vulnerability you find later on.

• area_pol

@Gurth Inline PHP in posts is not needed. If you are technically skilled, you can edit the PHP in theme files and avoid the ugly process of storing code in a database.

• @asdf said in Wordpress.... I hate you.:

Now I'm hungry. Fuck you, give me gummy bears.

Be careful what you wish for …

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@abarker I feel like I'm missing the joke here. Did I miss some kind of innuendo?

• @asdf

1. Search amazon for sugar free haribo gummy bears.
    2. Read reviews.
    3. Try to stop laughing.

Edit: I even did step 1 for you.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@abarker said in Wordpress.... I hate you.:

I even did step 1 for you.

You're my hero 😘

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@xaade said in Wordpress.... I hate you.:

lolnodebb

• @Adynathos said in Wordpress.... I hate you.:

@Gurth Inline PHP in posts is not needed. If you are technically skilled, you can edit the PHP in theme files and avoid the ugly process of storing code in a database.

May I ask, have you read the rest of this thread? :)

• area_pol

@Gurth Yes, and I cannot understand, let alone reproduce, the problems OP had with editing the theme.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

• :belt_onion:

@dkf said in Wordpress.... I hate you.:

markdown is really designed… sorry, hacked together on a Haribo bender with that in mind.

Bonus for markdown: It's not possible to put your server into a botnet when someone pwns your admin password!

• @abarker said in Wordpress.... I hate you.:

http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Sugar-Free-Gummy-Bears/dp/B008JELLCA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Filed Under: Do not feed the cutesy explosive diarrhea to any buffalo.