Ignoring a topic

• I've been working on this. Seems to be working. Instead of the current "Ignore" and "Watch" buttons (which are kind of confusing because they display the opposite of what you're doing), I've added a third state and renamed the states:

1. Notify undefined (old watching: shows up in unread feed, notifications any time a post is made)
    2. Normal undefined (old ignore: shows up in your unread feed)
    3. Ignore undefined (topic doesn't show up in your unread feed)

And turned the control into a dropdown, where the button to expand the dropdown shows the current state. I also added the notification text that you get when you change state to be title of the button and the menu items when they drop down.

The Menu when the thread is currently set to notify:
    0_1460726469970_upload-147eedb6-165a-46ef-82ba-255bdad2958d

The menu when the thread is currently set to normal:
    0_1460726509867_upload-ec66f9b0-bcd9-468a-97bb-5218aa4af657
    The menu when the thread is currently set to ignore:
    0_1460726420230_upload-1780531a-9535-409b-a6c1-09e5a5e18c69

Does that seem like reasonable UI for this?

• kills Dumbledore

@boomzilla Looks sensible, but I'd be tempted to have the current state in the dropdown as well, with a check mark or highlight. Consistency and muscle memory and all that

• SockDev

@boomzilla looks like a decent UI.

does clicking the button toggle between Normal and Notify or open the dropdown menu?

• @boomzilla said in Ignoring a topic:

they display the opposite of what you're doing

Currently, they show an action to be performed, so the text is a verb: ignore or watch. I think it makes more sense to show the current state, so a gerund makes more sense: watching, ignoring, and uh... normaling?

• @NedFodder said in Ignoring a topic:

and uh... normaling?

Yeah, that's where it breaks down. So it's showing the state of...uh...how you're watching the thread.

• @boomzilla Discourse apparently shrugged at that problem: muted, normal, tracking, and watching.

What you have isn't that bad really, at least you only need a couple of words to explain what each of the options mean.

• kills Dumbledore

@NedFodder The Discourse names were shit. Normal was basically ignore, unless you get mentioned a lot, and I could never remember if Watching was higher than Tracking.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

Looks good. If I set a topic to "Ignore", I still get reply notifications, correct? So it's not like Discourse's "Mute"?

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@NedFodder said in Ignoring a topic:

watching, ignoring, and uh... normaling?

"Following", "Interested", "Not Interested".

Which leaves room for an eventual "Muted": No notifications ever, even on direct mentions.

The default assumption is that you are Interested in every thread ever. Later we could also add a profile setting to change the default.

• @Jaloopa said in Ignoring a topic:

Looks sensible, but I'd be tempted to have the current state in the dropdown as well, with a check mark or highlight. Consistency and muscle memory and all that

Good point.

0_1460728573618_upload-c600ef59-cf91-4ec1-9621-907b665280fa

Hmm...not sure how to line all that up. Or what about after?

0_1460728645698_upload-dcdbe13e-a3d6-41cb-8cd6-9eeeee2156b4

@boomzilla After is better.

Also, text for normal: "Notify me when I am mentioned"

• @NedFodder said in Ignoring a topic:

Currently, they show an action to be performed, so the text is a verb: ignore or watch. I think it makes more sense to show the current state, so a gerund makes more sense: watching, ignoring, and uh... normaling?

I hate, actionable buttons that actually represent state. It's a terrible UI un-feature.

If you're going to do that, you should have two buttons side-by-side, and have an indicator to which button is actually the current state.

Action buttons (Order, Confirm, etc) should never represent state.

• @asdf said in Ignoring a topic:

If I set a topic to "Ignore", I still get reply notifications, correct?

Correct.

@asdf said in Ignoring a topic:

So it's not like Discourse's "Mute"?

I guess not. I never really used that, so I couldn't really say, but I'm not messing with notifications. Under the hood, I basically added an "isIgnoring" flag in addition to the current isFollowing flag. Normal is when both of those are false. The only effect of the isIgnoring flag is to keep it out of the unread feed.

• @Yamikuronue said in Ignoring a topic:

Also, text for normal: "Notify me when I am mentioned"

I think that's getting too wordy for the menu. Here are the current notifications. The ignoring_topic.message is new, the others are the existing things you get when you click on the watch / ignore buttons:

"following_topic.message": "You will now be receiving notifications when somebody posts to this topic.",
    "not_following_topic.message": "You will no longer receive notifications from this topic.",
    "ignoring_topic.message": "You will no longer see this topic in the unread topics list.",

I think it makes sense to clarify in there, so maybe:

"not_following_topic.message": "You will no longer receive notifications for new posts from this topic, but you will be notified when you are mentioned or your post is upvoted.",
    "ignoring_topic.message": "You will no longer see this topic in the unread topics list.  You will be notified when you are mentioned or your post is up voted.",

@Yamikuronue said in Ignoring a topic:

"Following", "Interested", "Not Interested".

Menu text if you go this route:

undefined Notify me on new posts
    undefined Show this thread in 'Unread'
    undefined Do not show this thread in 'Unread'

With eventual
    undefined Never notify me about this thread

which produces state 'Ignoring'

@boomzilla said in Ignoring a topic:

I think it makes sense to clarify in there

I agree

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

Under the hood, I basically added an "isIgnoring" flag in addition to the current isFollowing flag.

Why use two bools when you've finally found a valid use case for a tri-state boolean? 😛

BTW: 👍, I never used muting either, so this restores the option I actually used a lot.

• kills Dumbledore

You will now be receiving notifications

Fancy fixing that message to not be pidgin English while you're there? That's been a minor annoyance every time I've followed a thread

• @asdf said in Ignoring a topic:

Why use two bools when you've finally found a valid use case for a tri-state boolean?

Technically, there is a recorddocument stored for each user with a list of the topics he's following and one for each topic with a list of users who are following it. I added respective lists for ignoring.

@asdf said in Ignoring a topic:

BTW: , I never used muting either, so this restores the option I actually used a lot.

I never used it but I'm so fucking tired of listening to the complaints. And it's been interesting learning about node and nodebb to figure out how to make this work.

• @Yamikuronue I like that...but I think it's good to keep an obvious link between the displayed state and the buttons:

0_1460729844921_upload-40aaa8ac-9578-4aba-9b0e-33fcc664770d

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.