Steam Names

• Pfft. We've all seen your profile, it's only level 11.

You can get level 11 again in like 4 days.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

You can get level 11 again in like 4 days.

Yeah, but, again, I've had the account for like 11 years. Plus you'd get all confused because my name there wouldn't match my name here.

• Well I assumed, being not-an-idiot, that you'd make your son rename the account after he took sole possession so your new account could then be renamed to FrostCat, but what do I know.

@blakeyrat said:

Well I assumed, being not-an-idiot, that you'd make your son rename the account after he took sole possession so your new account could then be renamed to FrostCat, but what do I know.

I'll tell you the truth, I didn't really know you could change account names.

Look, I just use it to play video games. I don't keep track of all the damn features it has.

• So don't give up your account. Make him make a new one, set up family sharing, and then keep playing on yours. If he doesn't like it that you occasionally play games, then he can buy his own damn copies, and when you're not playing he'll have free reign.

• @ben_lubar said:

2 people (@JazzyJosh, @aliceif) have names with additional spaces (or fullwidth characters)

Because not allowing spaces in user names is stupid. Thanks again Discosauce.

• How would @mentions work, then?

@TwelveBaud said:

If he doesn't like it that you occasionally play games

That's not actually a problem. I just didn't know what the rules were, and it hasn't been a real problem sharing the one account, so I haven't needed to look into the options.

• @ben_lubar said:

How would @mentions work, then?

How do they work now?

BTW God knows I'm no fan of Atlassian products, but somehow those shitty Java-infested pieces of shit manage it. IIRC they just wrap the screenname in square brackets after the @ symbol.

• You can change your display name, but login names can never be changed.

Filed under: Steam started out using email addresses, so my login name is an email address that no longer exists

• @blakeyrat said:

I dunno, it looks like the entire library is locked, but that's still NO DIFFERENT THAN WHAT YOU ARE DOING NOW. So.

From a quick experiment a couple of days ago, it appears that if the game is already installed and fully up-to-date, you can Go Offline... and play an offline, single-player game despite the other person using the library. I haven't tried actually playing like that, though, so I'm not entirely sure whether it really works.

• 🚽 Regular

If anyone would like to friend me on Steam my username is the same as it's been since the start of the interwebs: http://steamcommunity.com/id/cursorkeys

I don't play many multiplayer games but I can be convinced.

• :belt_onion:

It does. I do that with a game that can't be family shared (thanks Ubisoft...)

• @powerlord said:

Steam started out using email addresses, so my login name is an email address that no longer exists

Same here, and it bugs the crap out of me.

• @blakeyrat said:

shitty Java-infested pieces of shit

Triply redundant, I see.

• It's ok, they're publicly traded now.

• Also, free 100xp badge:

1. Visit the Ikaruga Steam store page and login. http://store.steampowered.com/app/253750/
    2. Type search on your keyboard and press ENTER.
    3. Type 1v7531 in the popup window and press ENTER.

@ben_lubar said:

How would @mentions work, then?

• Regexes!
    • Exhaustive O(N^4) searches of the users table against strings of words that are 20 characters or less!

• FoxDev

@Boner said:

Also, free 100xp badge:

okay..... someone answer me this please.....

###Why is Steam gamified to give you levels and trading cards and gems and crap?

Steam is a distribution centre for games, not a game in itself

so... why? just why?

• BINNED

The only "gamification" I'm fine with is the achievement system, though I use it more as "challenges screen" than bragging rights.

• I don't know, but if it wasn't we wouldn't be having this lovely chat.

• You could have posted the NAME of the badge. Sheesh.

It's Red Herring. If you've been even slightly conscious during the last 2 weeks, you already have Red Herring.

• @accalia said:

Why is Steam gamified to give you levels and trading cards and gems and crap?

Because they take a percentage of everything.

@accalia said:

so... why? just why?

I don't understand. Steam is a business. They make money from taking a percentage on trading cards.

That particular Red Herring badge doesn't have any cards, it's just a dumb joke.

But you might as well ask, "why does Cartoon Network do bumpers in between their shows? They don't make any money from producing bumpers!" Well. They just do? It makes the experience of watching the channel more fun.

"But they're in the showing cartoons business, not the making bumpers business!"

Sorry? I guess it's not run by Vulcans?

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

If you've been even slightly conscious during the last 2 weeks, you already have Red Herring.

E_INVALID_PREDICATE

I've been mostly conscious for the last two weeks, i've known about that badge for the past week, and i still don't have the badge.

BECAUSE I DON'T CARE ABOUT STEAM GAMIFICATION.

just give me my games in one centralized location and get out of my way. thank you.

• @accalia said:

BECAUSE I DON'T CARE ABOUT STEAM GAMIFICATION.

Right; so you don't do it in Steam where you can get free store credit and free games (and sometimes free games without using store credit). Just yesterday I bought two games and a DLC for "free" (meaning: money I've gotten from trading cards from shitty indie games. Many of which can net you a profit-- if you buy them in $2 bundles. $0.40 for the game and $0.60 for selling the set of cards.) Sure, one of those is Longest Journey which I already own in a much more inconvenient form (4 Windows 98 CDs I'd have to bend-over backwards to get working in Windows 10) and one was Star Trek, but hey. Whatever.

But you'll wail on the Likes button here, and spam the shit out of the forums to make sure you get all the awesome badges and build annoying stupid bots to get even more badges. Even when it obstructs the legitimate conversations we're trying to have.

So when gamification is harmless and you can benefit from it, you pass. But when it's annoying as fuck and makes the forum worse, you're all-in.

Awesome. I love it.

• @blakeyrat said:

to get even more badges

I'm sure @accalia doesn't like badges anymore.

• @aliceif said:

I'm sure @accalia doesn't like badges anymore.

Well after months and months of making this forum shitty, that isn't very reassuring. But I guess it's a step in the right direction.

I still wanna hear the explanation that RaceProUK was gonna give about how fair the process of handing out badges was. If only she were here to let us know how she feels about that...

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Right; so you don't do it in Steam where you can get free store credit and free games (and sometimes free games without using store credit).

it's not free, i have to expend my time and effort to get that "free" stuff, and i consider my time and effort more valuable than getting trading cards and crap games to play for trading cards that i don't want anyway.

i see no benefit to playing into that, particularly when doing so only rewards Steam for doing something i don't care about.

@blakeyrat said:

But you'll wail on the Likes button here
    yes.

@blakeyrat said:

and spam the shit out of the forums to make sure you get all the awesome badges
    uh.... if that is the reason you think i'm posting here.... you are sorely mistaken.

@blakeyrat said:

build annoying stupid bots to get even more badges.
    no, i build them because it is fun to build them.

i've even gone out of my way to make is to they all leave you alone as much as possible, and completely ignore the articles section.

in fact the only really disruptive one that's still operating is Translator, all the others are basically just sitting waiting for someone to summon them for a Zoidberg Quip, or to PM them to use their anonymizer functionality

but then you don't really care about that, do you?

@blakeyrat said:

So when gamification is harmless and you can benefit from it
    if you're talking about Discourses gamification, which is harmless, mildly entertaining and i do benefit from it... yeah i'll play the game.

@blakeyrat said:

But when it's annoying as fuck and makes the forumproduct worse

ah. you're talking about the Steam gamification here. Yeah, pass. thanks.

/me turns to Steam

Now shut up and give me my games.

• @accalia said:

ah. you're talking about the Steam gamification here. Yeah, pass. thanks.

Steam gamification doesn't make steam worse.

@accalia said:

i do benefit from it

You could also benefit from steam levels. Every ten levels, you get a new slot for your profile which you can use to showcase things you made or things you like!

@blakeyrat said:

But you'll wail on the Likes button here, and spam the shit out of the forums to make sure you get all the awesome badges

But the likes button isn't just for badges, it also serves as a way to show appreciation for a post without having to write a reply.

• I agree with whatever Morbs just said.

• FoxDev

@aliceif said:

You could also benefit from steam levels. Every ten levels, you get a new slot for your profile which you can use to showcase things you made or things you like!

if i have to play a game to get something that i don't care about, is it really a benefit.

i literally don't care about steam levels or steam profiles.

it is literally impossible for me to care less about those features without actually spending my own money to try to remove/defang/sabotage those features.

to me steam is a games delivery platform, nothing more.

• @accalia said:

it's not free, i have to expend my time and effort to get that "free" stuff, and i consider my time and effort more valuable than getting trading cards and crap games to play for trading cards that i don't want anyway.

i see no benefit to playing into that, particularly when doing so only rewards Steam for doing something i don't care about.

So then: don't do it, but also stop bitching about it.

@accalia said:

uh.... if that is the reason you think i'm posting here.... you are sorely mistaken.

Maybe not now.

@accalia said:

i've even gone out of my way to make is to they all leave you alone as much as possible, and completely ignore the articles section.

But they don't. Because every time the forum crashes, and we get that report on what was causing the most load, the top slots are always the fucking bots.

You're deluding yourself if you think your idiot bots aren't making this forum crash more often. And yes, the forum itself is to blame, it's shitty it doesn't handle the load, etc. etc.

@accalia said:

which is harmless,

But it's not.

@accalia said:

i do benefit from it...

How?

@accalia said:

ah. you're talking about the Steam gamification here.

How do trading cards make Steam worst? How do achievements make Steam worse? What are any of those features doing that is making it difficult for you to "get your games"?

@aliceif said:

But the likes button isn't just for badges, it also serves as a way to show appreciation for a post without having to write a reply.

I don't need external validation of everything I write. I don't care if you hit the button because it's harmless (although it does spam-up my notifications), but the real proof of the pudding is if you take my insightful posts and let them get up their in your head and mingle with your own ideas. Or if you take my funny posts and chuckle a bit to yourself and forget that life sucks for a few minutes.

RaceProUK would hit the "like" button on my posts, but then literally a week later we'd have a similar conversation and she'd repeat the exact same misinformation I'd correct in a post she liked a week ago. So, "likes" are meaningless. If you want to show appreciation for stuff I type, let them get in your mind-party and hang out with all your other ideas. No button on a website demonstrates that.

• @accalia said:

it is literally impossible for me to care less about those features

You've written like 3 posts about them here. I think it is possible for you to care less.

@accalia said:

without actually spending my own money to try to remove/defang/sabotage those features.

If you spent money to sabotage them, your "care" level would shoot through the roof. I'm not sure you know what the word "care" means.

• @JazzyJosh said:

I agree with whatever Morbs just said.
    Paging @Quietust

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

So then: don't do it, but also stop bitching about it.

I had to double check the account from which this was posted. Fortunately, I had just refilled my coffee, so it's too hot to be taking big sips or anything, so nothing was damaged in an epic spit take.

@blakeyrat said:

But they don't. Because every time the forum crashes, and we get that report on what was causing the most load, the top slots are always the fucking bots.

False.

• FoxDev

@boomzilla said:

Fortunately, I had just refilled my coffee, so it's too hot to be taking big sips or anything, so nothing was damaged in an epic spit take.

lucky you. i may need a new keyboard... it's in the sink right now, hopefully the tea didn't damage anything critical....

@boomzilla said:

False.
    agreed, but just for science, any chance of getting some stats about load and stuff from the logs?

• @Ragnax said:

Helps preserve your anonimity a bit tho', as outside parties will have to jump more hoops to tie the profiles on the various services together as belonging to the same person.

This.

@LB_ said:

My issue with Steam is that people constantly change their display names to whatever they think it the most funny at the time.

Not likely I'll change mine, nor my avatar. My user name (minus the numeric suffix; the bare name was already taken) goes way back to playing rogue-likes in college 30 years ago. I generally preferred playing as a Wizard, and I used to have a blue rain poncho that someone once remarked looked like a wizard's robe, so if you get a friend request from a wizard wearing a blue robe, that's me.

@blakeyrat said:

If you've been even slightly conscious during the last 2 weeks, you already have Red Herring.
    I've definitely been conscious, and I don'tdidn't have it. Didn't even have a clue how to get it. Don't really care, but what the heck, why not?

• Java Dev

I use steam to play games, but I ignore its gamification (except for the achievementschallenges).

@accalia said:

Nonetheless, watching Blakey sort of back-handedly advocate gamification and you curmudgeonly rail against it is quite amusing.

@accalia said:

You know he knows that and is still tweaking you about it just to get a rise out of you, right? It's kind of like how in just one month, he complained both about the time I didn't know what country he lived in, and accused me of stalking him. There's no internal consistency, just whatever still pushes the target's buttons.

At the risk of setting you off, one of the reasons I suggested you not react about whoosh jokes was to deny people who actually want to annoy you a control on your behavior.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

Nonetheless, watching Blakey sort of back-handedly advocate gamification and you curmudgeonly rail against it is quite amusing.

:belt_onion:

you kids get off my lawn!

/me shakes a cane in the air

@accalia said:

it is literally impossible for me to care less about those features without actually spending my own money to try to remove/defang/sabotage those features.

If you did that it would suggest you cared more, not less, about those features. :)

@accalia said:

i may need a new keyboard

This would be a perfect opportunity, then, to get rid of a Model M, if you were using one.

@accalia said:

you kids get off my lawn!

@accalia said:

#kids

@accalia is :doing_it_wrong:

• @blakeyrat said:

Lack of a fast travel system killed it for me.

You guys ruin videogames for the rest of us. - Hard Core Skyrim player that can't manage not to click fast travel.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

what? you would prefer i call you kits instead, thereby implying you are juvenile Vulpines instead of juvenile Capras?

@accalia said:

@FrostCat said:

what? you would prefer i call you kits instead, thereby implying you are juvenile Vulpines instead of juvenile Capras?

"you grumpy old farts get off my lawn"

• @xaade said:

- Hard Core Skyrim player that can't manage not to click fast travel.

On PC you can just disable it with a mod. On console, I guess you need a tiny bit of self-control.

@accalia said:

No, it's just funny watching you say that to someone older than you, like the time I congratulated a guy who had 20 years on me for his 10th wedding anniversary and told him someday he'd be married as long as I was then, if he did things right. (I got married at 19. This summer will be my 26th anniversary.)

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

No, it's just funny watching you say that to someone older than you,

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.