Threatened with doxxing

• @cartman82 said:

Everybody here already knows who you are.

And that it's not fordjobs.com or dodgejobs.com that you visit, but rather handjobs.com. That said, at least you're only a client, which is more than can be said for a lot of people around here.

• kills Dumbledore

@tufty said:

which is more than can be said for a lot of people around here

Damn right. I'm a majority shareholder and founding member

• @blakeyrat said:

Is it any wonder that people (especially younger people who literally have never known any other sort of social paradigm) spend all their time "making the perfect Facebook profile"?

I just choose to be honest about myself, which puts me in the middle.

Vast majority of times, both "sides" have legitimate arguments.

I've been called left wing nut, religious nut, right wing nut, sacreligious nut and often in the same thread, back to back....

I've pretty much figured out that anyone that doesn't care about me, is going to hate me, and those people aren't worth my time.

I have friends from all walks of life.

• The only thing that comes to mind from that game is the time that 4chan built a swastika out of player characters.

• BINNED

@Jaloopa said:

Damn right. I'm a majority shareholder and foundling member

FTFY

• @tufty said:

Find the person in question's details, go to their house, beat them to a pulp.

Find the person in question's details and SWAT them, surely.

• @blakeyrat said:

everybody's on Facebook

I'm not.

• FoxDev

@flabdablet said:

@blakeyrat said:
    everybody's on Facebook

I'm not.

Nor am I.

Nor do i have any desire to return.

• @xaade said:

I do it too, but I do it with the understanding that anyone can find and use that information against me.

There was an interesting study about how teenagers use Facebook, I'm sorry I can't come up with the link :sadface:. But the two most interesting things (to me) were

1. To many teenagers, Facebook is a private forum. If you intrude, you're the stalker and it's your fault. Don't do it, you're creepy.

2. One example of a coping strategy was a girl that only activated her account during the night, so her parents could not see it because they did not surf that late 😄

In a good world, we should expect people to have some respect and not spy on other people. So I think this expectation is not something we should dismiss as simply naïve. The only reason we must advise against it is because we know the world won't work that way.

We have, as a society, gotten much more tolerant. And this trend continues. Don't expect people to just stop posting their private shit because they've learned it's stupid to do so. The outrage will be more and more about the unsolicited consumers. As it should be.

• Banned

@cartman82 said:

Agreed. Doxing is a dick move. It's breaking the netiquette. But it's not illegal.

Depends on jurisdiction, and if jurisdiction is Eastern European, also depends on the severeness of judge's hangover.

• @gleemonk said:

The only reason we must advise against it is because we know the world won't work that way.

Teach people not to spy on teenagers.

If you tell a teenager that they should do something to protect their privacy, you are part of the problem.... and you're worse than those who spy.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

• thanks

• Google everything about yourself that the people who want to doxx you might know. See if it leads to you in any way, and as much as possible try to get that stuff off the 'net.

If your username can be linked to you, it's not a bad idea to just abandon it and create another username...

• @anotherusername said:

and as much as possible try to get that stuff off the 'net.

too bad there's these site that dedicate to archiving the internet.

Just stop taking nude pictures of yourself. It's going to end up somewhere.

• They don't always grab sites with active content, at least not completely. If something doesn't appear in the first 15 posts and the rest are loaded by Javascript with no page links it can crawl, for example.

@blakeyrat said:

But the point is: if I wanted all y'all motherfuckers to know who I am, I'D POST WHO I AM.

Everyone knows who you are, Barney Stinson.

• @cartman82 said:

Everybody here already knows who you are.

Yeah! He's Boomzilla!

• Banned

Now I wonder if my activity on this forum can get me linked to my activity in any other community. I think I've been rather careful to not say anything that would make me tracable (including the most stupid username I could come up with)?

@xaade said:

I'm just confused about why people get so upset about it.

Learning who someone is is indeed not a particular problem. Learning where they live might be a somewhat bigger problem, but merely possessing the information does not make one a scumbag.

Using the information to ruin someone's life just because they upset someone a bit, that's both morally wrong and definitely illegal.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election Banned

Here's an article your friend may want to read. Down at the bottom is where the suggestions are. It's about journalists specifically, but a lot of the suggestions can be reasonably abstracted to the general population.

What To Do about Doxxing

Some things journalists can do to support colleagues and protect themselves against doxxing

Before it happens
    New hires should have digital security training—how to keep personal information private, which sites and groups target reporters, how to send and receive encrypted files—as part of the on-boarding process, and this training should be updated as the harassment ecosystem changes.

Editors should get training on what harassment looks like and the people and sites that might target employees or freelancers. Finance departments should be comfortable using encrypted documents for things like invoices and tax forms.

Reporters should be offered an official e-mail address and phone number that is separate from their personal points of contact. Packages and letters should always be sent to the office, rather than to private homes.

Freelancers should consider using P.O. boxes instead of their home addresses and Skype or Google Voice phone numbers in place of personal cells or landlines. Do not send sensitive data like Social Security numbers and home addresses via unencrypted e-mail.

Those concerned about harassment should set up personal support networks like Slack chat rooms or private Facebook groups.

If it happens
    If you choose to report the harassment to the police, bring a lawyer who understands the issues and examples of the threats. If you know any identifying information about the harassers, share that as well.

Colleagues can support doxxed reporters by diverting or monitoring official work e-mails and voicemails, keeping an eye on the target’s Twitter mentions to document the harassment, and reporting the abusers.

Doxxed colleagues will probably appreciate your support, but don’t be offended if they don’t respond. Most of the channels you might use to reach them—phone, e-mail, and social media accounts—are likely flooded with messages from harassers. They may be ignoring those streams or unable to see your support amidst the deluge.

— Rose Eveleth

Also, at least in the US, it is possible to file civil lawsuits against people who have doxxed you, so if your friend happens to know who it is, she could do that. Or, as this is an MMO, report them to the game admins.

@xaade said:

From what I can tell, doxxing is only illegal if it is tied to other illegal actions. It almost always is, which is why people think doxxing is illegal.

But from what I can tell, it's only illegal for someone in a sensitive position (witness protection, government employee).

When there haven't been any other illegal actions (which is very rare), I think it is generally considered a civil matter, so civil suits are still a viable option.