Go gets Belgium'd

• BINNED

@Pharylon said:

I mean, social justice is good!

I disagree.

• BINNED

@Pharylon said:

So while I might even sometimes agree with you about a specific person who is a "SJW" in your view, by using that term you're going to make someone like me assume a lot of other things about you that I almost always see getting spouted by people who call others "SJWs."

In other words, you're a bigot. Thanks for the warning.

• @antiquarian said:

I disagree.

Wow.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Spanky587 said:

M posts a message to /r/golang describing the approach they're planning to take for wrapping http.HandlerFunc and asking for feedback.

P replies to the message "Why don’t you just do it the obvious way?" with an explanation of an alternate approach.

N, a bystander to this exchange, replies “That may have been obvious to you, but you shouldn’t assume that it’s obvious to just anyone.”

P replies “Well I guess you’re an idiot too, then.”

Q, a moderator, bans P, and posts to the original thread “I have banned P because their behavior was unacceptable. Sorry for the trouble.”

The issue is resolved.

Goddamn, MI6 has turned into a bunch of whiny privileged cunts.

• BINNED

@Pharylon said:

Wow.

By the way, I'm actually closer to pro-choice than pro-life, though I think there are significant problems with both positions. But that probably doesn't fit your Narrative, so feel free to ignore it.

• @antiquarian said:

By the way, I'm actually closer to pro-choice than pro-life, though I think there are significant problems with both positions. But that probably doesn't fit your Narrative, so feel free to ignore it.

Good for you? I'm kind of the same way, but I'm closer to pro-life than pro-choice. Oops! Somehow you assumed the opposite of me.

The main difference is, I'm conscious of my assumptions based on language, you apparently think you don't make any, and admitting to it makes you a bigot. Also, you don't like social justice, which is just... wow, seriously... I can't even think of the kind of person who seriously thinks that way. It's like, most people who are racist don't think they are (my Dad went to his grave saying he wasn't racist, it's just that the NAACP is ten times worse than the KKK ever was). But then there's that one guy who openly admits to it, and you're just dumbfounded. I can't even imagine the person who would seriously think social justice is bad.

• BINNED

@Pharylon said:

Somehow you assumed the opposite of me.

Did I? I don't remember saying you were pro-choice.

@Pharylon said:

The main difference is, I'm conscious of my assumptions based on language, you apparently think you don't make any, and admitting to it makes you a bigot

What makes you a bigot is not making assumptions; it's holding on to those assumptions even in the face of contradictory evidence.

@Pharylon said:

It's like, most people who are racist don't think they are (my Dad went to his grave saying he wasn't racist, it's just that the NAACP is ten times worse than the KKK ever was).

This is ironic. You must have missed the part in the trans thread where I called Fox a racist.

@Pharylon said:

I can't even imagine the person who would seriously think social justice is bad.

That sounds like a personal problem.

• @Pharylon said:

anyone who would use the phrase "Social Justice Warrior" as a perjoritive... I mean, social justice is good!

There's an increasing number of bigoted moderators on reddit that ban people for "microaggressons" so micro that they make the "my grandma" comment look like a KKK slogan in comparison, openly mock the "male tears" of anyone who criticizes them, and have report reasons like this, make bots to preemptively ban large amounts of users for posting in (not really) "hateful subreddits", explicitly state that white males should have no right to complain about anything (and that that's not discrimination because the idea of discriminating against white males literally makes no sense) to the point where they even drove people away from /r/lgbt by doing things like tagging everyone that voiced their opinion as trolls (so it would appear on top of every post you make).

And they're doing it all in the name of social justice. It makes it hard to associate the name with good things, even if the concept makes sense.

You can claim that a small group of people are not True Scotsmen, but when that group is (apparently) >50% of all Scotsmen it becomes a hard argument to sell.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election Banned

^ this is why you're an asshole.

Yeah, there's like a dozen people on this forum who behave like this.

@antiquarian said:

it's holding on to those assumptions even in the face of contradictory evidence.

So sayeth the pot.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Fox said:

A collection of words I've never thought nor said. Well done.

• BINNED

You know what, fuck it.

@Pharylon said:

Similarly, when people start saying "SJW" or "MRA," I have a pretty good idea where they stand on women's issues.

Hey, guess what? I don't care about women's issues? You know why? Because I'm not an asshole. I care about people issues. Wasn't there a famous quote about "feminism being the radical notion that women are human beings"? Hey, guess what? I AGREE! Hot diggidy, indeed they are! Hey, here's a wild idea: let's stop splitting the demographics and fix shit? Is there a problem? Ok, let's see what we can do! I don't care if you have a dick, or tits, or both. You're a person and I care about you because of that!

@Pharylon said:

Like, if someone uses the word "cis" to describe a straight person, I have a good idea they're pretty deep into the LGBT community.

Hi. I'm a cis male. Nice to meet you. I've got nothing to do with LGBT community in particular, but I'll support them when I can when they bring up an issue I can help with. Am I "deep inside" the community now? Are they in my closet.

NOTE: the previous sentence is a troll- and flamebait. Except for people in the community who know about this running joke and just got a chuckle. (I hope. Is it getting old now guys?). By reacting to this sentence in a negative way you acknowledge you have no idea who I am and have no sense of humour. Also, quite possibly a SJW, see below.

@Pharylon said:

Both men and women consistently underestimate women's intelligence.

Humans are a bunch of idiots and assholes. News at 11.

@Pharylon said:

on some gentic programed level, we're just wired to think that women are less intelligent than they are

No.

@Pharylon said:

Or, it's possible it's something we absorb from society.

And in breaking news, people are still idiots who can't tell jokes apart from reality.

@Pharylon said:

"that's just innate to the sexes," it turns out they're wrong

There is clear sexual dimorphism in our species. No, intelligence is not a factor, it's the same with both sexes. There are, however, other biological reasons majority of either sex employs their intelligence.

@Pharylon said:

No one tells a girl "you can't be a programmer." They just hear dumb girl/mom/grandma jokes. They see TV Shows where the girls are princesses and ballerinas and the boys are leaders and adventurers (with a booksmart-yet-streetdumb sidekick, who is also a boy 90% of the time).

I have a 17 year old sister. She's just finishing high school. She went to STEM field, pretty much because I pushed her into it. I'm sorry now, because she hated it and wants to go to a completely unrelated field in college.

What is my point? Women are not, I repeat not fucking idiots! They are capable human beings (it's a radical notion for you, I know). Maybe you should stop pushing them into doing shit they don't want to fucking do? And before you say anything, yes, I know plenty of brilliant women in STEM fields who kick my ass in every field of study. And I admire them, not because they are women and smarter, but because they are smarter, period.

@Pharylon said:

That being said, in practice it never works out that way. It's like, recently there was a study, and it turns out that people who use the #GamerGate hashtag on Twitter were as likely to be pro-life as #ShoutYourAbortion users were to be pro-choice

And 65% of people called Steve prefer black socks to white. What the fuck does that have to do with them being called Steve?

@Pharylon said:

Similarly, anyone who would use the phrase "Social Justice Warrior" as a perjoritive

Jesus fucking Drax. I hope you have earplugs if your hearing is OK right now, because the amount of whooshing above your head is sure to do some damage soon.

Now, repeat after me: "People who use SJW as a perjoritive are talking about people who complain about stupid shit, not real issues". You know, the ones looking for alternative to the work "penmanship" because it's obviously sexist; it has the word man in it! Or the ones who complain if there's not enough group X n the movie, too many of the group X in the movie, if group X behaves too capable, if group X is not capable enough, and those who complain about grandma jokes.

@Pharylon said:

We might agree, but first, I would kindly ask of you to define the term for me.

And BTW, I completely expect to be called an asshole now. In which case: right back at you.

• @DogsB said:

YOU FUCKING MONSTER DIE IN VAT OF ACID!?!!?!?

Microaggression against monsters for assuming that they fuck, and that they'd somehow be killed by acid. (That almost never works).

@Onyx said:

Women are not, I repeat not fucking idiots!

Some of them are fucking idiots, but it's got nothing to do with them being women.

@Onyx said:

Am I "deep inside" the community now?

:giggity:

@Onyx said:

let's stop splitting the demographics and fix shit?

Well, some demographics have more specific issues. Women, for example, have a lot more issues with reproductive health than men, simply because they are the ones who carry babies.

@Onyx said:

QFT

• @Onyx said:

Quite a few of them do....

That's why our IQ average goes down with each generation.

You've done the same thing with "SJW" here. In this thread. I responded directly to it.

• Sorry, I got mentioned in this thread, noticed it was about Go, went straight to the OP, and then replied without reading the rest of the thread.

Anyway, while what we do on this forum is okay here, it wouldn't be okay in a professional setting where we didn't want to scare off newcomers or have lawsuits filed against us because someone got offended.

In related news, I'm thinking of writing a Discourse clone in Cool. Just to see how fast an implementation of a forum in a language designed to be terrible can be.

• Political correctness is calling a black crayon "African American" or complaining that someone didn't account for the fact that a lion could be a pre-op female. It's a humor concept, not something that SJWs would ever use.

I just meant you were both idiots.

:wtf:

What dictionary are you using now?

• @ben_lubar said:

# Did anyone actually read the link?

Because the first post of this thread is 100% trolling. And you all fell for it. The document linked in the first post explains the process for approving changes to the language. It does not say anything about being nice to other people.

Or am I missing something?

If you follow the link, what's the first item on the list?

"design: a Code of Conduct for the Go community".

If you click on it, it takes you to the proposal that instructs you how to be nice and not commit microaggressions.

I I guess I could have linked directly to that, but I didn't because, well, because fuck you, that's why.

Filed Under: Macro Agressions

• Aww, I was hoping you'd leave the double quote in so I could make a funny joke about it.

• BINNED

@Fox said:

:giggity:

Hey, careful there, don't want to break any hearts or anything...

@Fox said:

Well, some demographics have more specific issues. Women, for example, have a lot more issues with reproductive health than men, simply because they are the ones who carry babies.

Yes, domain specific problems exist. I never denied that. But again, the social implications of that (because we have the medicine pretty much down at this point) is again, a wider issue.

@xaade said:

Source, please. Also, if true, I'm pretty sure the men helped too.

• If average IQ goes down, I'm not sure how you're defining it, because in the definition I've been using, average IQ is 100.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Pharylon said:

Similarly, when people start saying "SJW" or "MRA," I have a pretty good idea where they stand on women's issues.

Interesting. I usually mistake MRA as a typo for MRE, but I use SJW as a slur against people's character all the time. What's my stance on "women's issues." What do you even consider to be, "women's issues?"

• ♿ (Parody)

@Onyx said:

Split that shit in its own topic if you want, so I can mute it. Now, do I have to flag shit or can someone please split this so I can argue with @ben_lubar about how Go sucks in god damned honest to nerd peace?

To be fair, that's pretty much the subject of this thread right from the OP. You can start a new technical go thread if you really want to.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Pharylon said:

Could you please define "social justice" for us, then? It's a very ambiguous and abused term.

• @Onyx said:

I'm pretty sure the men helped too.

Okay, let's see what that original quote was...

@xaade said:

@Onyx said:

Quite a few of them do....

And now to rephrase it...

@xaade said:

Quite a few of themwomen do.[are] fucking idiots...

Actually, that doesn't really work in English. Here it is in lojban:

du'e lo ninmu cu gletu lo tolmencre

• BINNED

Are you pedantic dickweeding my pedantic dickweedery?

@ben_lubar said:

Actually, that doesn't really work in English. Here it is in lojban:

Ok, you are.

Carry on.

@ben_lubar said:

du'e lo ninmu cu gletu lo tolmencre

http://i.imgur.com/jtyFg4n.gif

• ♿ (Parody)

@Fox said:

:rolleyes: You have the flabdab disease. But we knew this.

• ♿ (Parody)

@xaade said:

It was an amusing joke, but my inner pendant wants to introduce you to the Flynn effect:

• @ben_lubar said:

If average IQ goes down, I'm not sure how you're defining it, because in the definition I've been using, average IQ is 100.

Yeah, but half the people are below average.

• When IQ tests are revised, they are again standardized using a new sample of test-takers, usually born more recently than the first. Again, the average result is set to 100. However, when the new test subjects take the older tests, in almost every case their average scores are significantly above 100.

That's the problem with test-makers.... they assume they're making better tests.

But one might say, but the average is taken to be 100, so the result must be that IQ is rising.

But that doesn't account for the fact that IQ is not single dimensional.

• BINNED

Jon Martin Sundet and colleagues (2004) examined scores on intelligence tests given to Norwegian conscripts
    between the 1950s and 2002. They found that the increase of scores of
    general intelligence stopped after the mid-1990s and declined in
    numerical reasoning sub-tests.

• BINNED

@xaade said:

@Onyx said:

Source, please.

@dse said:

They found that the increase of scores of general intelligence stopped after the mid-1990s and declined in numerical reasoning sub-tests.

Let's play whose English is worse - mine or authors? Does that mean that the trend of increase stopped and then started faltering, or that the scores themselves became lower? I read it as the former.

• ♿ (Parody)

An interesting theory on this:

• @Onyx said:

@xaade said:

@Onyx said:

Source, please.

I'm going to pretend that your quotes aren't quotes and the context from which they came does not matter.

Otherwise, I don't think there's a logical way to answer that.

Every heard of the term "Visual Mathematician"?

That means that some people have an advantage in identifying math, patterns, etc in visual space. This doesn't mean that people who can't should belong several points below. Some people are just as capable at math in an abstract environment without images. However, the IQ test is trying to be culturally universal, and chooses shapes instead. This is a detriment to people who can't visualize, giving people are adept with visual space a higher IQ.

This biases the test results.

Since it favors visually adept persons, and intelligence is a desirable trait. We may be getting "smarter" according to the IQ test, without actually becoming more intelligent by unbiased metrics.

• BINNED

@xaade said:

I'm going to pretend that your quotes aren't quotes and the context from which they came does not matter.

I'm also going to pretend that was not me just being too lazy to type again.

As for the test, I solved many variations online while bored, including Mensa's, and generally did better on ones that had fewer shapes. I was under the impression that the "proper" test should have a mix of various problems in various categories? Pretty sure one on Mensa's site was like that, too.

• BINNED

I read it as the trend of increase stopped (no more increase), and even the trend reversed for numerical reasoning (decrease)

• BINNED

Yeah 2D vs 3D is an acceptable explanation.

• BINNED

@dse said:

and even the trend reversed for numerical reasoning (decrease)

I read it as the curve slope changing more towards the horizontal, not necessarily starting to go downwards.

In conclusion, badly written.

• @Onyx said:

I'm also going to pretend that was not me just being too lazy to type again.

Quote Reply vs. copy paste.

:P

• @Onyx said:

But also amazingly adept at talking past each other.

• FoxDev

@Pharylon said:

Eh, I'm not a huge redditor. Never heard of that one before. But you can glean a lot from a person by the language they use. Like, if someone uses the word "cis" to describe a straight person, I have a good idea they're pretty deep into the LGBT community. I don't need to hear their long in depth explanation of why we should use that term instead of "straight," or they're not exactly the same or whatever. Similarly, when people start saying "SJW" or "MRA," I have a pretty good idea where they stand on women's issues. I don't need to hear the long version I've heard a million times before. I mean, feel free to contradict me if I want. But I doubt you will.

So.... My brain is a weird place.

You know those wondertwin esque superheros? the ones that are all "By our powers combined" and stuff.

Well my brain just went: MRA + FRA = RA

Then I went: :wtf: brain? seriously? it's 2226 and you come up with that? I'm blaming you for the nightmares you are about to put me through tonight for this. this is all your fault!

• FoxDev

okay..... i'm gonna need more of a hint than those photos are giving me....

what exactly is the point and/or joke you are attemptng to make?