A SHA-1 freestart collision has occurred

• FoxDev

@anonymous234 said:

They said it's much easier this way because I don't have to do it myself.

JDGI

• You're just :doing_it_wrong:.

• My instance on an EC2 micro server was running it faster than here, but it also didn't have multiple users, so I dunno. NodeBB was a lot faster on the same hardware tough, but there was a URL that was making it hang, probably because mongodb.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@fbmac said:

but it also didn't have multiple users

Or multi-K long topics. /t/1000 brought up at least one obscure bug unrelated to the actual topic (cooties occurring when topics in One Post autoclosed due to housekeeping on /1000)

• I've dealt with other toxic hellstew forums on less hardware than we have, with more posts than we have (most of the toxic hellstew forums should manage approximately 2.5m posts on the size of instance we have without even really breaking a sweat for tuning purposes)

But they're written by people who know what they're doing.

• FoxDev

@Arantor said:

I've dealt with other toxic hellstew forums on less hardware than we have, with more posts than we have (most of the toxic hellstew forums should manage approximately 2.5m posts on the size of instance we have without even really breaking a sweat for tuning purposes)

But they're written by people who know what they're doing.

someone call the fire department, because that was a sick burn!

:rofl:

• kills Dumbledore

@DogsB said:

Christ. I wonder what wordpress is like.

A default WordPress install will query the database twenty times every time you refresh the page, even if not one single element on that page has changed. Doesn't that strike you as a bad idea? Maybe even, dare I say it, sloppy programming?

:rofl:

• Notification Spam Recipient

Aye. Our reports landing page queries the reporting database once for every sub-section in the page, there are about two hundred of said sections, and this all must be done before sending the first byte (no Ajax here!).
    Luckily the table is mostly static and tiny (just has links), and ends up permanently stuck in memory.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@DogsB said:

Christ. I wonder what wordpress is like.

Surprisingly sane and mostly well documented. There's some pretty stupid inefficiencies that come from trying to make it as flexible as possible (like getting the 15 posts you're going to show on the page, then looping through them to render a template, and doing 15 calls to get each post's metadata on rending-- because the main query doesn't get the metadata).

However, running a profile against Wordpress shows most of those calls are under a millisecond each. Most of the inefficiencies comes from custom code or plugins-- and even then, those are easy enough to fork and fix yourself.

There's also some good caching plugins that will properly cache query objects.