In other news today...

• BINNED

@boomzilla said in In other news today...:

@topspin said in In other news today...:

@Dragoon said in In other news today...:

@boomzilla So your alternative explanation of the observed rise in temperatures is?

Why does he need to provide an alternate explanation?

The given explanation is backed theoretically (the greenhouse effect) and observed rise in carbon dioxide correlates with observed rise in temperatures. So it’s pretty plausible. If you dismiss it, I’m interested in a better one.

Yes, the theory is plausible overall. But as they say, when your theory doesn't match observations, you change your theory. You seem to be under the assumption that I'm arguing the CO2 doesn't have anything to do with the rise in temperatures. If that's what you think, it's pure strawman because I never said that and I don't believe it.

No, you just said that reducing CO2 doesn’t solve the problem, but that made it sound like it doesn’t have anything to do with the rise in temperatures.

• ♿ (Parody)

But you still have a problem of rising temperatures to deal with.

What is the problem? How do you know it will be a problem?

No, you just said that reducing CO2 doesn’t solve the problem, but that made it sound like it doesn’t have anything to do with the rise in temperatures.

Yes. The problem is exaggerated and ignores the benefits of a warmer climate, too. I can understand your confusion about what I said, though.

• @topspin said in In other news today...:

Rising temperatures is not a problem, it's a solution 🇨🇦

It has yet to be established that it is a problem.

you better should err on the side of caution and try to fix the suspected cause you do have.

No, a true scientist sits down and figures out what the real cause is. Without knowing the real cause our efforts could make things worse.

• Java Dev

Yes. The problem is exaggerated and ignores the benefits of a warmer climate, too. I can understand your confusion about what I said, though.

The whole thing smells of religion more than science.

“Farting cows” is not “cows”. Don’t ask me how.
    Maybe change their diet, genetically engineer them not to fart, I don’t know

This seems implausible, but while attempting to research it, I have so far found information only about human flatulence. I did, however, learn two things:

First, according to Wikipedia,

The scientific study of this area of medicine is termed flatology.

Second,
    Screenshot_20190328-144438.png

• BINNED

It has yet to be established that it is a problem.

you better should err on the side of caution and try to fix the suspected cause you do have.

No, a true scientist sits down and figures out what the real cause is. Without knowing the real cause our efforts could make things worse.

Nonsense. Stopping CO2 pollution isn’t going to make things worse even if it were to turn out not to be the cause.

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek Seems like bargain, you should buy some!

Stopping CO2 pollution isn’t going to make things worse

It (probably) isn't going to make climate change worse. The proposals for reducing CO2 emissions will, however, almost certainly have negative economic effects that may very well make life worse overall for much of the world's population.

Nonsense. Stopping CO2 pollution isn’t going to make things worse even if it were to turn out not to be the cause.

Depends on how we remove CO2 emissions.

@HardwareGeek Seems like bargain, you should buy some!

I have quite enough already, thank you.

• Java Dev

I do not disagree with this statement. But it is not the whole picture.

Most proposed measures don't just reduce CO2. They also have other effects, like increased refining of materials to build solar panels, lithium batteries, and windmills. They also frequently include using a lot of land or sea area to put solar panels and windmills in. Areas which could be used to grow food (isn't world hunger still a thing?). Airspace which insects and birds migrate through.

I'm not definitely saying the costs outweigh the benefits. I'm saying it's a chaotic system and it's impossible for us to even know whether the costs outweigh the benefits.

• @dkf said in In other news today...:

@Tsaukpaetra said in In other news today...:

I'm certain that as soon as they get wireless USB working, there won't be any ports.

Cows come with several ports as standard. Don't stand too close to the rear one. (What were you talking about?)

Which rear one? Cows have two rear ports.

(Bulls have one.)

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek said in In other news today...:

Stopping CO2 pollution isn’t going to make things worse

It (probably) isn't going to make climate change worse. The proposals for reducing CO2 emissions will, however, almost certainly have negative economic effects that may very well make life worse overall for much of the world's population.

Since we’re going with “you don’t have 100% proof for that” already:
    Or they may have positive economic effects, accelerate technological progress, etc.

• @boomzilla said in In other news today...:

Oh, great, this shit of "benefits" again. Yeah, rising sea levels are such a great thing. Acidification of the ocean? A piffle! Weather events more extreme? Hell, sign me up for Tornado Alley!

:rolleyes:

The problem here is that you're overlooking in your rush to sell us this bridge that evolution does not work that fast. And we kind of rely on working ecosystems.

• @PleegWat said in In other news today...:

Areas which could be used to grow food (isn't world hunger still a thing?).

Food is a) a distribution problem and b) if we got rid of the massively overinflated cow herds we could use the areas which are used to plant their feed for human-consumable crops.

I'm saying it's a chaotic system and it's impossible for us to even know whether the costs outweigh the benefits.

I see that you're ignoring the ample evidence of history.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Rhywden said in In other news today...:

Oh, great, this shit of "benefits" again. Yeah, rising sea levels are such a great thing. Acidification of the ocean? A piffle! Weather events more extreme? Hell, sign me up for Tornado Alley!

Oh, great, this shit of nonsense again. Sea level has been rising for a long time at the rate is is right now, and anyone claiming "extreme weather events" probably hasn't been paying any actual attention. Tornado activity has been pretty low lately. Ocean "acidification" is a lot more complicated than it sounds, especially when you see that the critters often use the additional carbon up a lot faster when creating their shells and whatnot.

But sure, keep parroting the hysteria you see on the news.

The problem here is that you're overlooking in your rush to sell us this bridge that evolution does not work that fast. And we kind of rely on working ecosystems.

No, the problem here is that you've succumbed to mostly irrational hysteria. I say mostly because as @topspin said, this stuff is plausible, it's just not born out by observations. Which is the sort of thing that people with a grounding in science should be sensitive to, but to which you're apparently impervious.

Ocean "acidification" is a lot more complicated than it sounds, especially when you see that the critters often use the additional carbon up a lot faster when creating their shells and whatnot.

Riiiight. And here the mighty boomzilla shows plainly that he doesn't know jack shit about this.

Hell, it does not even work like this with plants who actually directly metabolize carbon dioxide. Jesus Christ. The willful ignorance is once again strong with you. You pick and choose.

And future generations will spit on your gravestone. If they grant you one and don't raze the ground you walked on for being such an ignorant shit.

• ♿ (Parody)

Ocean "acidification" is a lot more complicated than it sounds, especially when you see that the critters often use the additional carbon up a lot faster when creating their shells and whatnot.

Riiiight. And here the mighty boomzilla shows plainly that he doesn't know jack shit about this.

How would you know?

Hell, it does not even work like this with plants who actually directly metabolize carbon dioxide. Jesus Christ. The willful ignorance is once again stron with you. You pick and choose.

LOL, this is hilarious! What are you even talking about?

And future generations will spit on your gravestone.

Giving moisture to the dead. So respectful! They'll look back and laugh at you like we laugh at old time doctors and their humours.

• @Rhywden said in In other news today...:

That ample evidence of history that shows we have had periods of even greater levels of change than we are currently in? That history that says that where I currently live was once an ocean floor? That evidence that says there were glaciers covering a fair portion of the world? That evidence or is there some other evidence that you are referring to?

• Fake News

@loopback0 said in In other news today...:

@JBert said in In other news today...:

You can't, because it's a screenshot!

In the article it's a GIF.

75d30257-118c-4c99-b91b-7c3c2a8d50a3-image.png

c8335501-ae83-4663-ad63-68e52e15636f-image.png

I kid you not, when I posted I always got the fixed image from my post without a link to the actual Twitter post - I simply saved that image.

Now I sometimes get the image and sometimes I get a working Twitter one-box depending on how much times I reload.

:wtf_owl:

• @Rhywden said in In other news today...:

overinflated cow

images (2).jpeg

• ♿ (Parody)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@boomzilla So your alternative explanation of the observed rise in temperatures is?

Owls. It's always owls.

• BINNED

@loopback0 said in In other news today...:

Owls. It's always owls.

WRONG: It’s the fuckin Chinese butterflies, everyone knows that!

• BINNED

@TimeBandit said in In other news today...:

Rising temperatures is not a problem, it's a solution 🇨🇦

No. You live here for a summer and see if you change your mind 🇦🇺

• Notification Spam Recipient

.... The News thread got trolleybussed again. Isn't there a garage topic for this?

.... The News thread got trolleybussed again. Isn't there a garage topic for this?

You don't have 100% proof of that!

I misread this bit:

Vanessa Cline, 32, of Stafford, was charged with five counts of embezzlement, five counts of forgery and five counts of uttering.

As "five counts of muttering" and my sleep deprived brain went off "Is muttering a criminal offence? Holy shit." a moment there before the smart bits woke up and beat the dumb bits with a clue-by-four.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Carnage said in In other news today...:

five counts of uttering.

🤔 WTF is uttering in the context of crime?

dbfee5c1-0e12-4e8b-90cf-5bbe15fe9786-image.png

Ah. TIL.

• 🚽 Regular

@TimeBandit doing barbecues too often.

• BINNED

@PleegWat said in In other news today...:

Most proposed measures don't just reduce CO2. They also have other effects, like increased refining of materials to build solar panels, lithium batteries, and windmills. They also frequently include using a lot of land or sea area to put solar panels and windmills in. Areas which could be used to grow food (isn't world hunger still a thing?). Airspace which insects and birds migrate through.

I'm not definitely saying the costs outweigh the benefits. I'm saying it's a chaotic system and it's impossible for us to even know whether the costs outweigh the benefits.

You mean compared to the effects mining and burning coal has? Better include lung cancer etc. in the whole picture if you're literally fighting wind mills. Bet those birds prefer flying over coal plants instead.

Also, no, world hunger is not due to a lack of farming space, but I didn't hear that argument from the "we need more children" guy.

• BINNED

That ample evidence of history that shows we have had periods of even greater levels of change than we are currently in?

Are you trying to say the current spike is random chance and not related to humans?
    When were those periods and how large was the change per time?

That history that says that where I currently live was once an ocean floor? That evidence that says there were glaciers covering a fair portion of the world? That evidence or is there some other evidence that you are referring to?

You ignored to mention that those changes happened over a much longer time scale.

• BINNED

@dkf said in In other news today...:

You don't have 100% proof of that!

You're also ignoring the potential benefits.

You mean compared to the effects mining and burning coal has? Better include lung cancer etc. in the whole picture if you're literally fighting wind mills. Bet those birds prefer flying over coal plants instead.

Also, no, world hunger is not due to a lack of farming space, but I didn't hear that argument from the "we need more children" guy.

How about compared to:

• Nuclear power (works without wind or sunshine, so you don't need to burn coal at the same time, unlike with windmills)
    • Restricting imports from countries with bad pollution regime (e.g. China)

Sorry, but it bugs me that building windmills is considered an ecological act, when much better results could be gained by methods that, on top of having an order of magnitude more actual impact, also provide economical benefits.

• Banned

No matter what you do in life, no matter how good you are at it, there's always some Chinese kid that does it better.

• Banned

@thegoryone said in In other news today...:

@acrow

The latest results show that:

For the 12 month period January 2018 to December 2018, 38.2% of total electricity consumption in Northern Ireland was generated from renewable sources located in Northern Ireland. This represents an increase of 3.5 percentage points on the previous 12 month period (January 2017 to December 2017) and is the highest rolling 12 month proportion on record.

In December alone, we apparently broke 50% renewable supply due to a few nice storms. The joys of being an island at the edge of the Atlantic. If we push further tidal power we could hit 100% renewable at some point.

Enjoy the blackouts when the storms will start regularly pushing you over 100%!

• BINNED

@acrow said in In other news today...:

How about compared to:

• Nuclear power (works without wind or sunshine, so you don't need to burn coal at the same time, unlike with windmills)

I'd be all for that if we finally put enough research into it to overcome the currently huge problem of nuclear waste. Because that's even worse.

Good luck with that considering we're exporting all our pollution to China in the first place.

Sorry, but it bugs me that building windmills is considered an ecological act, when much better results could be gained by methods that, on top of having an order of magnitude more actual impact, also provide economical benefits.

Which economical benefits that renewable energy doesn't have are you talking about?

• BINNED

@Gąska said in In other news today...:

No matter what you do in life, no matter how good you are at it, there's always some Chinese kid that does it better.

Sometimes failure is indeed an option. 🍹

• ♿ (Parody)

• @thegoryone said in In other news today...:

@acrow

The latest results show that:

For the 12 month period January 2018 to December 2018, 38.2% of total electricity consumption in Northern Ireland was generated from renewable sources located in Northern Ireland. This represents an increase of 3.5 percentage points on the previous 12 month period (January 2017 to December 2017) and is the highest rolling 12 month proportion on record.

In December alone, we apparently broke 50% renewable supply due to a few nice storms. The joys of being an island at the edge of the Atlantic. If we push further tidal power we could hit 100% renewable at some point.

I found the report you're quoting. And I notice that it does not mention the backup powerplants that must be kept running alongside because starting it takes half a day. If you don't have a runing backup for windmills, you get a 6-12 hour blackout when the storm ends. Of course, the backup coal plants may be momentarily halted if the weather forecast guarantees winds for the next 6 hours, but I hope that your weather office is a lot more accurate in their forecast than ours is, because otherwise the plant keeps smoking.

• @Zecc said in In other news today...:

@TimeBandit doing barbecues too often.

Every day is not too often 🧘♂

How about compared to:

I'd be all for that if we finally put enough research into it to overcome the currently huge problem of nuclear waste. Because that's even worse.

Ehh... All the spent fuel in the world would fit into one hectare of mountain range. Plus, the residual glow might have some uses outside electricity generation. I consider this mostly a political problem. Though I understand that you may disagree.
    Also, please consider that the current windmill technology also results in tons of non-recyclable waste when the plant has run out its design life of <25 years (depending on model).

Good luck with that considering we're exporting all our pollution to China in the first place.

Yes, I'd like to stop that particular export. It has an abominable coefficient.

Which economical benefits that renewable energy doesn't have are you talking about?

Comparing nuclear to wind power, nuclear is less labor intensive per mWh. So, it releases skilled manpower to do something more useful. I consider that an economic benefit.

Restricting imports from China increases employment here. I consider this an ecomonic benefit for me and mine. Less so for China, but I can live with that if it also tackles the pollution problem.

• BINNED

Ehh... All the spent fuel in the world would fit into one hectare of mountain range. Plus, the residual glow might have some uses outside electricity generation. I consider this mostly a political problem. Though I understand that you may disagree.

It's a political problem in so far I think we could have solved already (or made progress on) the technical problems, but it's not being done. Instead we're using decades old crumbling shit and "stuffing the waste into a mountain".

• Banned

Is it? It's usually fairly well localized…

And I notice that it does not mention the backup powerplants that must be kept running alongside because starting it takes half a day.

The startup time varies a lot by technology. The more sophisticated combinations can be extremely efficient and yet still fast to start.

• BINNED

@dkf said in In other news today...:

Is it? It's usually fairly well localized…

Considering there's still no disposal sites.

If it were possible to use the "waste" as fuel would that would make a whole lot more sense than keeping spending money on storing it.

• I was going to make a Note 7 joke but it's literally the first sentence in the article.

In 2016, Samsung launched a smartphone that caused fires.

• @Tsaukpaetra said in In other news today...:

Ah. TIL.

Thank you. My first thought was "what did she do to a cow?"

(I know it's an udder but: E_CAFFEINE_MISSING, :barrier: 🃏 , etc...)