WTF is happening with Windows 10? And nothing else

• @boomzilla said:

It didn't. But before I hit cancel, I had manually selected them. There's no dependency chain problem, just a poorly written program.

Ah - I thought you were in the "I selected all, updated, and WU just found more" stage. That's why I brought up dependencies.

I recently had to fix a friends machine from the laptop image. This meant from W8.0. Which means completing the entire rinse/repeat cycle multiple times, THEN updating to 8.1, THEN rinse/repeat again. **shudder**

• cmd has that too, plus it works better where there are multiple completion possibilities.
    🚅 -posting...

• @TwelveBaud said:

cmd has that too

It has completion - for matching what's in the directory. But 'git st<tab>' won't do squat (unless you have a file status.cpp). Unless there's some setting I've been missing all these years...

• That it doesn't have. But I find Bash's dinging, spitting out a bunch of crap, and going "keep typing or fuck off" less than helpful. I'd rather be able to Tab/Shift-Tab until I hit what I need, like I can with cmd.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@dcon said:

I recently had to fix a friends machine from the laptop image. This meant from W8.0. Which means completing the entire rinse/repeat cycle multiple times, THEN updating to 8.1, THEN rinse/repeat again. shudder

Heh. For future reference, get Acronis or something. But also, I think there's a way to get an 8.1 image, so you can at least skip the first set of update cycles.

• @TwelveBaud said:

But I find Bash's dinging, spitting out a bunch of crap, and going "keep typing or fuck off" less than helpful.

My headphones are plugged in and laying on the desk. Problem fixed. (I could mute, but that's a :barrier: to watching posted videos in here)

And I would only be using it for git - I'm too used to how cmd works - bash screws me up. ESC. fuck. ctrl+c.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

@RaceProUK said:
    Or there's a stray newline

IE dev tools shows a (bogus?) </img> tag. Maybe that's related?

ETA: Oh, but look what Chrome says:

Hmm...yeah, I think I hit Enter by accident there. But it nothing looked wrong.

• ♿ (Parody)

Well...that was interesting. My screen went all black. I could still move and see the cursor, but nothing else. To the power button!

So then it restarted and started going through the update / restart / update process. OK, fair enough, I guess it didn't get to do it's pre-reboot thing.

But then after restarting...it did it again. :wtf: I really hate that spinner now.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dcon said:

Ah - I thought you were in the "I selected all, updated, and WU just found more" stage. That's why I brought up dependencies.

No, but I'm familiar with that bit of stupidity, too.

@dcon said:

I recently had to fix a friends machine from the laptop image. This meant from W8.0. Which means completing the entire rinse/repeat cycle multiple times, THEN updating to 8.1, THEN rinse/repeat again. shudder

😷

• ♿ (Parody)

@TwelveBaud said:

That it doesn't have. But I find Bash's dinging, spitting out a bunch of crap, and going "keep typing or fuck off" less than helpful. I'd rather be able to Tab/Shift-Tab until I hit what I need, like I can with cmd.

I hate that.

• @FrostCat said:

@miketheliar

I was sleeping, what the hell do you want?

@mikeTheLiar said:

I was sleeping, what the hell do you want?

Less than I got.

• Yeah, my wife said the same thing.

• @accalia said:

hmm... if you say so it must happen, but i for the life of me can't reproduce it on any of my devices....
    Nope, I lied. It can still happen, though admittedly you have to (1) get (un)lucky with where the scroll thumb lands and (2) have a pretty tall screen (like a 16:9 monitor in portrait... which I happen to use).

Here is how pressing page down is supposed to work:

And here is how Discoscrolling works:

Presumably they just made it less likely to happen. But it can still happen.

Edit: Ooops, it just happened again.

Edit: And again. Apparently I shouldn't use Discourse on my portrait monitor... (usually Chrome lives on the other one)

• @TwelveBaud said:

That it doesn't have. But I find Bash's dinging, spitting out a bunch of crap, and going "keep typing or fuck off" less than helpful. I'd rather be able to Tab/Shift-Tab until I hit what I need, like I can with cmd.

I prefer the reverse. Windows completion (applies by default to PowerShell too, IIRC, though you may be able to extend that) seems... less predictable to me. I often find myself type enough that I think it'll be a good prefix for completion, hit tab, get a wrong prediction, hit tab a couple more times and get a couple more wrong predictions, and wish that I could "uncomplete" my selection, type a few more characters to get something more unique, and complete again. But at least as far as I know, the only way to do that is to backspace over filenames that are often (for me) quite long.

• @TwelveBaud said:

I find Bash's dinging, spitting out a bunch of crap, and going "keep typing or fuck off" less than helpful. I'd rather be able to Tab/Shift-Tab until I hit what I need, like I can with cmd.

Paste this into a bash terminal:

cat <<. >~/.inputrc
    "\t": menu-complete
    "\e[Z": menu-complete-backward

The next terminal you start will behave pretty much the way you want. If you're using Tab to step through a bunch of directories, right-arrow will accept the suggested one and allow you to use Tab again to descend into it.

If you find that Tab works but Shift-Tab doesn't, that will be because your terminal is set up to issue some sequence other than the usual Esc [ Z when you press Shift-Tab. You can find out what it does issue by pressing Ctrl-V (which means "accept next keypress literally") then pressing Shift-Tab. Esc will show up as ^[ in the result; translate that to \e in the .inputrc key binding string.

Gory details documented in man bash under "Readline Key Bindings" and "Readline Command Names".

• @cartman82 said:

Windows 10 is slated for release in less than 2 months. I'd have expected there to be a feature lock at some point. To reserve the last few weeks for spit and polish before the big event.

So when I checked out Scott Hanselman's last week's preview video, I expected to see a mature beta-quality product, with all its features well designed and locked down for the upcoming release. Instead...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwFL0tXPlP8

Wow.. that looks bad. Few things seem to have improved since my first dev preview months ago. In fact, the new start menu looks much worse, both in the full screen and desktop layout.

But OK, here comes the new Hanselman video. Perhaps Microsoft was trying out the last few speculative ideas, before they do the feature lock and start polishing. Perhaps we'll finally see the nice stable outline of the new OS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoW0MpJWMBg

WHAT THE FUCK is going on!? This looks even worse! My old alpha dev preview felt more stable than this! You can tell Hanselman is trying to be a good shill, but even he is worried.

Can MS really fix up all this shit in less than 2 months? The time is ticking, and this doesn't look ANYWHERE NEAR ready for release.

Oh, is Windows going to shit without stevesi? What a surprise.

• FoxDev

Windows 8 was Ballmer's

• Steve Sinofsky (sp?) was the major player in Metro...

• FoxDev

I did not know that; I thought he was on about Ballmer

• As I understand it, Sinofsky was all about promoting excellence in management. @cartman and I had an argument a while back in a thread about a reddit post where—and my memory is a bit hazy here—I think the guy was talking about how now that Sinofsky was gone, they could do away with all that ‘pointless’ management and let the programmers do what they do best. Which, if that is the case, I'm not surprised to hear that W10 is a hot mess.

• Err... what? I was arguing that Sinofsky was let go because his vision for Windows 8 was seen as a failure. I have no idea how your brain went from there to this nonsense.

Also, don't mix me up with that numberless traitor, I bet @cartman is a Sinofsky apologist all the way through.

• At least he had a vision, though, instead of a thousand half-baked ideas all working at cross purposes. If you don't know how I got from our previous discussion to here, that just means that you didn't really get what I was saying back then.

• A vision of an OS GUI that nobody wants and is effectively unusable in practice is worse than no vision at all.

Phones aren't desktops, and desktops aren't phones. You can't make a GUI that's suitable for both, and you shouldn't try.

Shame really, as the rest of Win8 was an improvement, but an improvement buried under a pile of ordure.

@lightsoff said:

You can't make a GUI that's suitable for both, and you shouldn't try.

I don't know if you shouldn't try, but they didn't succeed and it was an expensive failure because they didn't find out until it hit the market. Either their focus group testing failed to spot this (in which case they need to scrap the groups and find some new ones) or it did and someone decided to ignore the feedback.

Listening to your users: it sounds obvious, so why are we so bad at it as an industry?

• @Jaloopa said:

Anything that can cope with Vista can definitely manage 10. The XP ones should be about as sprightly as they are on 7, too.

Interesting; I may have to have another look at it. Drivers might still be a problem though - I know at least one of them is running on Vista drivers for the m/b because there weren't any later ones available. AIUI these may still work, but no guarantees.

• @dkf said:

someone decided to ignore the feedback.

They definitely did a lot of this.
    They had a lot of public feedback about "Modern" (not to mention the fact that Metro wouldn't let them use the name) for several months prior to release, and spent the time fingers in ears going "la la la"

Not listening to the users is very common though, it's not just Microsoft or even the software industry.
    I see it with architects as well, which is worse as buildings are much more expensive to change.

@lightsoff said:

I see it with architects as well, which is worse as buildings are much more expensive to change.

Yikes! That would explain why architects have such a strong need for legal insurance…

• @Buddy said:

At least he had a vision, though

Crack pipe will do that.

• @dkf said:

Listening to your users: it sounds obvious, so why are we so bad at it as an industry?

If hanging about on this site has taught me anything, it's that we don't even listen to each other.

What, you were saying something at me?

• Fuck you, asshole. You're wrong and also dumb.

• @lightsoff said:

They had a lot of public feedback about "Modern" (not to mention the fact that Metro wouldn't let them use the name) for several months prior to release, and spent the time fingers in ears going "la la la"

As I recall, the feedback from the general public was all pretty much :WTF: but that didn't stop the industry press fanbois being all OMG Sinofsky is and of course it's press feedback that marketroids care about because they know perfectly well that the great unwashed is, in the end, just going to shut the fuck up and eat the dogfood that's crammed down its throat and learn to say it's delicious.

• :belt_onion:

EEK CANNOT UNSEE
    body is invalid try to be a O̿̋͞ͅH̗̠͕̟͕͇̽ͫ̓̈́ͅG̮ͫ̐̎ͩ̀O̒͊D̤̗̱͉̐̄͑̃̿̋ͧŅ̶̲̜͓̇͛̍̾ͥ́ͅO̾͑ͮ͂̆͐̇҉̶̖͙̮̖̤͈͙̹̥T̷͍̿̒̉̄͌̀̚H̲̙̜ͧ̈́͒̑̆̔͒̊͋͟Ė͎̞̜̭͇͖̩͆ͤ̾̄̌̍ͬ̚U̢̦̪̠̩͒̇͑̓̒́͜Ǹ̃ͭ͐̏҉̫̗̥̟̞̖̀Ị̢̬͕͙̖̭̭̰̺̜̣̗̹̝̝̪̝̖̖̊͊̇̌ͧ̾̐͞C̛ͦ̏̎̈̅ͤ̋͊̿͗̐͠҉͍̼̪̭̱̬͓͙̜͕̬͡O̴̢̧̲͎̦̖̭̻̺̺̜ͦ̋͒͐̊̇ͨ̒ͩ̆͆̇̊̍R̵̛̛͓̙͈̹̗̯̜̯͇̹̠͈̗̦̫̝ͤ̽ͥ̅̄͋̏̽ͯ͂̾̓ͥ̄̏͌ͅN̡̩̯̐ͫͫͭͯͭ͒̋ͥ͊ͪ́͢͞ͅĄ̷̶̛̬͕͕̠̠̖͊̄͋ͯ̓̽̈́͗ͭͥ́̅ͮ̾̈́͝ͅĄ̶̛̥͖̞̫̪͈̜͍͍̮̯̳ͬ̌̊̄ͩ̆̂ͨ̄ͯ̽̕A̔ͪͤ̊ͬͦ̒ͪ̚҉̸҉̺̜̳̠̻̥͕̩̲̯͍̗̹͉͚̻̺ͅG̡̛̺͙̥̠̖̈́̋ͨ͝Ḡ̴̹̬̼̩̖̙̝̩̜̰̜̠̠̯ͦͪ̊̒ͣ̓ͣͩ͆ͧ̈́ͩ̚͟H̢̬̪͇̱͖̞͎̗͎̬̥̼̺̉͊͋̾̃ͨ͘̕͟͞H̠͇̲͈̮͕̪̯͎̺͉̲̲͚͎͒ͣ̾̾̇̽̊̐ͯ͋́̑͛̔͑̐ͣ́́̚͜͟͜Ḧ̶̨̡̤̦̠̼̤̗̥̺͔̂ͭ̂̐̃ͬ́͝

• What that picture doesn't show is the wedding ring on the invisible hand

• FoxDev

hmm....

suddenly that "discourse is rainboes and unicorns" Jeffism makes a disturbing amount of sense.....

/me runs off to take a shower at that thought

• ♿ (Parody)

@flabdablet said:

If hanging about on this site has taught me anything, it's that we don't even listen to each other.

I probably need to install a screen reader to do this. Fuck that shit.

• ♿ (Parody)

It WASN'T CLOWN VOMIT AFTER ALL!

• FoxDev

no, no it wasn't.....

/me scrubs harder trying to erase the stain of that idea

• What's that you're showering in? It looks... brightly colored.

• FoxDev

What?

OH ICK!

/me flees looking for a large lake or waterfall or something to wash this...... stuff off with!

ICKY!

• FoxDev

@flabdablet said:

What's that you're showering in?

You're watching her shower‽
    So long as you have consent…

• kills Dumbledore

@accalia said:

waterfall

this one?

• FoxDev

not that one no!

• I don't know that that's such an issue for foxes.

• Maybe this lake:

• FoxDev

IS NOWHERE SACRED?!

...... i need to get away from the rainbow..... need to get away....

water isn't safe, but without water can't wash off the rainbow...

• FoxDev

Can a fox be dry-cleaned?

• I have also observed that unicorns are capable of running through the sky, so even rain will not be safe.