Memory-holing: Now here on DailyWTF! Abusive mods ahoy!

• @PleegWat said:

@HardwareGeek said:
    I'm not going to stop posting things people likein the likes thread because I have a cool number of badges.

FTFY

{posts in the likes thread} ⊂ {posts people like} (where the "like" in {posts people like} means "discolike", not necessarily "actually like.")

• @FrostCat said:

@Arantor said:
    likely spend a lot of time experimenting with the precise distance of rounding to maximise "contrast" and "usability".

They won't succeed in it, I'm calling it now.

Of course they won't, they're DiscoDevs.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

What the hell are you guys smoking?

They will definitly succeed for success lies in the eye of the beholder !INSERT PICTURE OF ONE EYED MONSTER HERE!.

You might see if otherwise but if they didn't succeed, you might be able to change the whole thing... and you know that there is nothing you can do to convince them otherwise!

Filed Under: \ ( ô ) /

• I'm not smoking anything, maybe I should smoke whatever crazy hallucinogenic substance that might possibly explain some of Jeff's thinking - because thinking on its own might not.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

Jeff probably keeps his stuff in his bikeshed!

Filed Under: Now it all makes sense!

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@Maciejasjmj said:

I mean, it's not in the name here, but the lack of rules was what drew people to this forum. But that's a double edged sword - if we're to tolerate fox antics because there are no rules, we're also pretty much supposed to tolerate heated arguments. Instead, you guys start to cherry pick, claiming the lack of rules when that's to your advantage, and calling for moderation when it's not.

Whatever. I am not going to continue this pointless conversation. If this place goes the way of the PC Brigade, I will leave. But on the other hand, if there is not at least some sort of common sense decency around here where we do not maliciously attack the "nice" people around here, people are also unlikely to stay. The community itself will decide what to do and the people will decide individually if this is the place for them. The tide is changing though, and the free-for-all seems to be coming to an end.

• There is a wide old spectrum out there ranging from 'completely unrestricted' to 'completely PC' and this community has - always - be towards the anarchic end of the spectrum. The antics that go on here would never be tolerated on almost any other forum I know.

The thing is, what some of the old guard forget is that there are people like me that were 'regulars' to the front page, but never commented and most certainly never participated in CS precisely because it was a toxic environment. This place, for right or wrong, is noticeably less antagonistic compared to CS - and a part of that is because a lot of people, like me, noticed the change in tone and instead of automatically feeling like we've been told to stay off the lawn without there even being a sign or grumpy old dude with a stick... we felt like it was a place we could be part of.

FWIW, that was the one observation of Jeff's I agreed with: the old forum was toxic, and becoming much of an echo chamber. This place, for all Discourse's gratuitous faults, is not like that.

A community is what its members make of it. If there is an overwhelming tonal change away from almost-utterly-anarchistic to mostly-anarchistic-but-with-a-touch-of-decency, and the majority of the community agree with that view, then maybe that means some people will have to reconsider their views. I know I took some time out to reflect on whether I wanted to participate here, and in some ways it's a good thing my job eats up so much of my time because it helps me not get too involved - so drama like this doesn't affect me so much and I can enjoy this place for what it is, warts and all, without it being a huge issue for me, even if it is for other people.

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

posting bullshit

That brings us back to the fact that what you consider bullshit and what someone else considers bullshit is not the same

• @Kuro said:

!INSERT PICTURE OF ONE EYED MONSTER HERE!.

:giggity:

• @Jarry said:

sqlite is easy. just take any flavor of sql and substract features until you scream "WTF is this? you call this a DB??" and you're ready.

About the only things missing that might matter to anyone are RIGHT and FULL outer joins, per-statement triggers, and a good chunk of ALTER TABLE (DROP COLUMN, ADD CONSTRAINT, ALTER COLUMN, etal)

The GRANT/REVOKE business isn't needed in SQLite to begin with, and not being able to write to views is fine since triggers are a more explicit way of expressing your intent in this case.

Other than that? I don't know why you're screaming...

• took long enough for someone to bite on this

@tarunik said:

and a good chunk of ALTER TABLE (DROP COLUMN, ADD CONSTRAINT, ALTER COLUMN, etal)

this is the deal breaker for me. it takes a simple schema migration from a fairly simple task to a royal PITA.

@tarunik said:

Other than that? I don't know why you're screaming...

because it's free

• @Jarry said:

this is the deal breaker for me. it takes a simple schema migration from a fairly simple task to a royal PITA.

Ah. I'm not sure why that's not implemented yet, but it smacks of "it hasn't gotten high enough on anybody's radar screen"

They are "patches welcome", though, if you feel like tackling a side project studying database implementation, that is...

• @tarunik said:

ADD CONSTRAINT

see, there's your problem. sqlite has no constraints on data types. That's one of the features they subtracted.

• @riking said:

see, there's your problem. sqlite has no constraints on data types. That's one of the features they subtracted.

No, SQLite has constraints -- PRIMARY KEY, UNIQUE, NOT NULL, and even CHECK are implemented. What you are getting tripped up by is SQLite's duck typing...

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

It has constraints, but it helpfully disables them by default every time you connect to it :)

• FK's are off by default in the latest SQLite version; they are the only type that has this though, as CHECK constraints have transitioned to on-by-default.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Maciejasjmj said:

And yet, despite Blakey saying over and over and over again that he's fully facetious with his raging, you all insist on taking offence. I don't get it.

Yes, this thread is proof positive that he never gets mad at stuff.