The beginning of the end for Blizzard?

• @Kuro said:

Also please consider using a build from their forums for maximum fun... because thats how the game works

What would be the fun in using someone else's build? Why the hell should I play at all? Just get that dude to make a video I can watch on YouTube.

You people are weird and/or idiots. I have no idea how people on this forum think.

@Kuro said:

This is just my personal experience but I was not really happy with TL2.

It has... colors?! And comedy?! And no grinding?!

• @blakeyrat said:

What would be the fun in using someone else's build? Why the hell should I play at all? Just get that dude to make a video I can watch on YouTube.

You people are weird and/or idiots. I have no idea how people on this forum think.

Exactly. I fully disagree with his sentiment as well, and agree with yours.

@blakeyrat said:

It has... colors?!

If they have a good theme, there's no problem with that. But I like eldritch monstrosities and darkness in my diablo ripoffs.

@blakeyrat said:

And comedy?!

Worth trying it to see if this is any good. I don't remember any in the first game, so I hope the two differ substantially.

@blakeyrat said:

And no grinding?!

Grinding is something you might do in Path of Exile, around the final difficulty. And at that point, you're on your third loop through the story, so you probably like the game enough to grind. I don't mind this way of doing things.

• This conversation actually makes me kind of want to give Diablo III another try. But I probably won't.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@blakeyrat said:

What would be the fun in using someone else's build?

You can learn from it and start building your own stuff? 😃 It's a pretty complicated system they got going and there are some really cool things you might not have considered beforehand ;P

@blakeyrat said:

You people are weird and/or idiots

Meh, sure. As long as I can have fun while being weird / an idiot this doesn't phase me.

@blakeyrat said:

It has... colors?! And comedy?! And no grinding?!

I did not say "Everything in the game was terrible". I said I was not really happy with it. Most of it comes down to what I wrote in the very same post you halfway quoted. The Desync issue was probably the most annoying part. If they fixed that, I might give it another go at some point.

Actually, what about the mods on TL2? Are there any good ones out?

Filed Under: [

@Magus said:

Tel that to the guys who can hit level 90 in less than a week :/

I did not say it was impossible to level up "fast". I said "no rushing" which is the case afaik. Unless there is an exploit I do not know of... I had to level each of my characters up the boring old fashioned way... and after the third character, the main questline just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

@Magus said:

I didn't, but QFT.

You said all items were useful later. I simply narrowed it down to uniques because it makes more sense to compare those (to me)

@Magus said:

Facebreaker.

Yes!

@Magus said:

I like building my character in a way I find cool, rather than using a cookie-cutter.

Fair enough. Just as with blakey, I just feel like there is a lot of stuff that is really interesting to come by naturally without checking out the ressources the games forums offer.

@Magus said:

If they have a good theme, there's no problem with that. But I like eldritch monstrosities and darkness in my diablo ripoffs

I am one of those people who did not like the graphics of D3 for the cartoony style... and I still don't.

Filed Under: Videogame-nerd-talk!

• @Kuro said:

Fair enough. Just as with blakey, I just feel like there is a lot of stuff that is really interesting to come by naturally without checking out the ressources the games forums offer.

This is really the only way I like playing games. I love seeing random crazy things people do, like building a Quillrain cast-on-crit character, but that's no substitute for finding a quiver with 30% fire conversion and deciding to try going avatar of fire with it myself.

• @Magus said:

Tel that to the guys who can hit level 90 in less than a week :/

Having not played WoW in several years, I decided to resubscribe for a month in November 2014. It took me 3 weeks tops to get a new character to level 90.

Granted, the US Thanksgiving holiday fell during that time period, so I had a few extra days off...

• FoxDev

Yes, but that's you doing that around your normal life; IIRC, in South Korea, people make careers out of playing games like WoW. And when you're doing 40+ hours a week, you can get through surprisingly quickly ;)

• Right, but my point was that even people not trying to rush through the game can reach 90 in less than a month.

• If they can stand the tedium.

• Java Dev

Asian MMO players seem to thrive on it. No, I don't get it either.

• Neal Stephenson explained this one in REAMDE. (A book about the Russian Mafia, British spies, being the family nerd, a crazy hyper-author from the Isle of Man, China, kidnapping, Islamic terrorists, and a guy who makes an MMO that beats WOW.)

If you are a teen who can't get a good job, but you can farm gold to sell to people, it's better than nothing.

I hope someone was watching my edit spam, as I spent several minutes adding to the parenthetical.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Yeah I resubscribed for a few weeks last year and got to 90 before getting bored (again) as well as annoyed with the amount of complete dicks playing.

• @blakeyrat said:

I'm not saying Warcraft III is "just slightly worse than Starcraft," I'm saying it's a bad game. Because it is. The only reason anybody ever installed it was to play DOTA.

TIL I am not anybody. (I replay Warcraft III from time to time; I have never played DOTA. I'm not really into multiplayer.)

I'm not going to dispute the assertion that W3 has problems. But then, many games do.

• @Scarlet_Manuka said:

TIL I am not anybody. (I replay Warcraft III from time to time; I have never played DOTA. I'm not really into multiplayer.)

Same here, though I did try DOTA. I even got the expansion.

• @PleegWat said:

5 years ago

Why did everything go to shit five years ago? Valve, Blizzard, what next? Discourse?

5 years? The shit's been building longer than that. I think you just weren't noticing before then. OTOH, if you want to join the Crusade Against Shit (TDWTF Chapter), welcome on board. We start with trying to not cause problems ourselves. Imperfect, but we gotta start somewhere. Then, we try to push out by example and education to those around us.

• Isn't that, like, the entire premise and point of TDWTF?

@Arantor said:

Isn't that, like, the entire premise and point of TDWTF?

The Crusade does not feel limited to railing against IT problems. Neither does TDWTF, but it's a bit more focussed here. :D

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said:

5 years? The shit's been building longer than that.

This is why a while ago I started making my own soap and selling them for $20 per bar to fancy department stores.

• BINNED

@boomzilla said:

I started making my own soap

Made from stolen human fat? I know, I know, rule #1 ...

• WoW won't last for too long - since WotLK there is almost no attractive content for ex-players. And if you played WoW, you will have at the best the same experience as then. I don't think that Blizzard will introduce anything interesting to WoW, because MMORPG can be boring if played for too long (including years of course). I doubt that Blizzard will make ex-players back to WoW, unless they will come up with really good plot. But they are doing pandas and alternative timelines. Did they run out of ideas what to do with WoW?!

I don't think that Blizzard will end. They are coming up with new games. Not as big ones as WoW, but that games will draw attention only because Blizzard made them. I don't think it is good idea to judge Blizz for 1 game, even if it provides biggest profits for them.