Valve now allows selling of mods

• @accalia said:

Repeat until EA learns that FSCKING MICROTRANSACTIONS are NOT gameplay!

Gameplay? No they aren't, they make the games literally unplayable. 95% of the users will just give up after realizing every action you can take in game costs $4.99. But the remaining 5% are the ones with too much money and no self control. And all that money is going back to EA.

It's just like how email scammers don't make any attempt to seem legitimate. They don't care about you, they are going for the top 0.1% of stupidest users.

• Java Dev

They make EVERY attempt NOT to seem legitimate. The 2nd or 3rd step of the money-extracting process costs money and they want the smart ones out before that.

• Valve killed paid mods a few hours ago and refunded the cost to anyone who purchased one.

• FoxDev

@powerlord said:

Valve killed paid mods a few hours ago and refunded the cost to anyone who purchased one.

Hands up everyone who didn't see that coming.

anyone?

• They'll return though, they specified that it was wrong to introduce them in Skyrim, a years old established free modding community. I imagine whatever upcoming games from Bethesda (or whoever) will have these paid mods.

• Which will probably solve most of the problem - by far the largest problem this time around was that the damn modders hadn't licenced their shit properly.

• It doesn't matter unless the new system allows encryption and signing of mods. The type of "get rich quick" people who have no problem stealing mods care not for licenses. And Valve's solution of "just send a DMCA" is fucking ridiculous.

• kills Dumbledore

@blakeyrat said:

encryption and signing of mods

Would that prevent people using content from one mod in another? That seemed to be one of the big problems people had with this whole thing

• @Jaloopa said:

Would that prevent people using content from one mod in another?

I think the point is, if it's allowed, it needs to be EXPLICITLY allowed by the technological measures in place.

That's why just putting a bit of text saying, "nobody's allowed to put this model in their own mod" isn't going to work. You're putting the onus on the original creator to police 40,000 mods to ensure NONE of them have your model included? Ridiculous. Your reward for your free labor is to get a thousand hours a year of more labor, to make some sure goon isn't making money off your free labor? Ridiculous.

We have technologies to fix this problem, it's just that Gamebryo/Creation Engine is ancient and creaky and has no support for any.

(And yes, I'm aware YouTube for example currently works that way, but fuck YouTube. And at least YouTube has robot that does it. Poorly, but.)

That all said, I'm not at all against selling (or, especially, pay-what-you-want donations) of mods. It just has to be something you spend more than 27 nanoseconds thinking about before you implement it.

• @blakeyrat said:

We have technologies to fix this problem

Really? Can you show them to me? Because if you're talking about DRM, that's about as effective as a "Please don't use this without my consent" message. (actually, don't show them to me, show them to Hollywood, they'll probably make you rich if you do)

• @ender said:

Because if you're talking about DRM, that's about as effective as a "Please don't use this without my consent" message.

Not true.

There's nothing wrong with the concept of DRM, what you're talking about is weak implementations of that concept.

In any case, every hurdle you make to copying the concept reduces the number of assholes who'll steal it. It doesn't need to be an all-or-nothing solution. And platforms that implement DRM demonstrably have less piracy than platforms that do not. (Compare Dreamcast and PS2, for example. Dreamcast's DRM strategy being, "gee, I hope CD burners don't get cheap!")

• @blakeyrat said:

There's nothing wrong with the concept of DRM, what you're talking about is weak implementations of that concept.

Yeah, there is something wrong with the concept of DRM -- copyright is simply not as black-and-white as you think it is.

Filed under: time to break out the fair use cluebat

• @tarunik said:

Filed under: time to break out the fair use cluebat

Oh yay, the cluebat! Oh joy! I love getting the cluebat from the Slashdot hordes! Go for it!

• @blakeyrat said:

Dreamcast's DRM strategy being, "gee, I hope CD burners don't get cheap!"

Not quite. They had a proprietary physical disk format and it took a little while before pirates figured out how to a) dump it and b) trick the DC into running CD-Rs.

• @hungrier said:

Not quite. They had a proprietary physical disk format and it took a little while before pirates figured out how to a) dump it and b) trick the DC into running CD-Rs.

That is completely relevant to my point, thank you for pedantic dickweed-ing it all over the thread.

• @blakeyrat said:

That is completely relevant to my point

:wanking_motion:

• @blakeyrat said:

If you can run/watch/listen to it, you can copy it, and no DRM will change that. It might make it a bit harder, but nothing that can't be worked around. That said, DRM works really well for something else: locking out competition, either by outright not allowing DRMed content to work (legally) on 3rd party devices, or by preventing implementors from innovating, because that'd go against the legal agreements they had to sign to get the decryption keys.

• @blakeyrat said:

Compare Dreamcast and PS2, for example. Dreamcast's DRM strategy being, "gee, I hope CD burners don't get cheap!"

AFAIK, PS2's was simply DVD with a different media type, unlike DC (which used proprietary format) and Xbox (which IIRC had DVDs that spun in the opposite direction).

• FoxDev

The Xbox used a standard PC DVD drive unit (it used a lot of standard PC components)

• Pretty sure it was Nintendo that used discs that spun the other direction.

Also, GameCube discs were mini-DVDs.

While we're at it, I vaguely remember the PS1 had some sort of anti-piracy data on the inner ring of PS1 discs.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@ender said:

and Xbox (which IIRC had DVDs that spun in the opposite direction).

That would've worked, except they exported to Australia<snigger>…

• @ender said:

If you can run/watch/listen to it, you can copy it, and no DRM will change that.

Ok?

"People still die in car accidents despite having seatbeats, therefore seatbelts are useless."

@ender said:

It might make it a bit harder,

THAT IS THE GOAL YOU DUMB SHIT.

@ender said:

That said, DRM works really well for something else: locking out competition, either by outright not allowing DRMed content to work (legally) on 3rd party devices, or by preventing implementors from innovating, because that'd go against the legal agreements they had to sign to get the decryption keys.

How does this shit apply to modding?

Did you just forget the topic at-hand and go into your pre-prepared Slashdot "DRM is da ebils!" bit?

• If you can run/watch/listen to it, you can copy it, and no DRM will change that.
    Ok?

It only takes one person to get around the DRM and put it on a torrent site. Or the new p2p network only the cool kids know about. DRM can't do anything about it. And it's why "information wants to be free" -- because, information is energy and follows a diffusion process, just like heat does.

• Ok?

Look, guys, I read Slashdot for years (depressingly). You don't need to recite the fucking spiel, ok? I know it. Just go away and Slashdot somewhere else.

• If you know it, don't be a retard. You should already know why DRM does nothing except annoy the paying users.

If you don't know it, learn.

• Lean about the holographic principle? Jesus.

Look, idiots, I know the spiel, I don't get how it applies to my hypothetical system for corralling mods.

• Internet Explorer 10 & 11 Users : If you are using Internet Explorer 10 or Internet Explorer 11 then, in all likelihood, the equations on the pages are all shifted downward. To fix this you need to put your browser in Compatibility View for my site. Click here for instructions on how to do that. Alternatively, you can also view the pages in Chrome or Firefox as they should display properly in the latest versions of those browsers without any additional steps on your part.

Quality.