T-Mobile WTF

• @asdf said:

I just found another WTF: If you send a text message to yourself to check whether your number works, T-Mobile will charge you for two text messages

Testing ... No repro.

Oh wait, I have unlimited messages. Carry on.

Belgium off, Dicksores.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@abarker said:

Oh wait, I have unlimited messages.

The first time since high school that I've heard someone brag about his phone contract.

I got the cheapest prepaid plan they had since I don't really use my phone a lot. Actually, the only reason I own one is that other people sometimes want to call me.

• kills Dumbledore

@asdf said:

T-Mobile will charge you for two text messages

I think we've already discussed the peculiarly American :wtf: of charging people to receive text emssages

• @Jaime said:

At least they aren't AT&T, who believes that SIM cards can't be moved. One time I gave my old phone to my mother - who is on my plan. The threw both the SIM from her old phone and the SIM from my phone away and put a new SIM in my old phone so they could assign it to her.

A sane provider would have just dropped her SIM in my old phone - or even better, allow me to do it without going to an AT&T store.

Verizon is the same; I tried handing my old SIM to the clerk when I got my new phone and she stared at me like I had suddenly grown a second head.

• @dkf said:

It's got some user storage on there. It was originally for things like address books and stuff like that. We Don't Do Stuff Like That Now, but there's still some space.

Good thing too.

Real life scenario: fumble fingered owner drops phone once too often. Touch screen cracks; only the bottom 1cm remains usable. Telco provides replacement phone per breakage insurance policy. New phone's contacts list is empty; old phone to be sent back to the knackery within days. Research has shown that all available methods for extracting contacts from old phone via USB or network require at least one button tap on phone's own screen. The weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth and rending of garments are heartbreaking to behold. Okay, leave it with me, see what I can do. Off she goes with her new phone.

Further research reveals that this particular Android phone supports mouse via USB OTG adapter. Draggety drag clickety click clicky, wifi on, contacts now sync'd with Gmail account. Call owner on her new phone: instruct her to sync all the things! Job done.

Two days later: still no contacts. "Sync is experiencing difficulties right now. It will be back shortly". Only for contacts. Everything else syncs just fine.

Owner comes back. Move her SIM back into old phone, connect mouse. Export contacts to SIM. Move SIM to new phone. Import contacts from SIM. Done.

Sync schmync.

I used to think Windows was the pits when it came to the uselessness of error messages, but Android makes Windows - yes, even Windows 8 - look really good by comparison.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Jaloopa said:

I think we've already discussed the peculiarly American :wtf: of charging people to receive text emmessages

Yes, a :wtf: indeed.