36 network interfaces

• My laptop is fairly average in terms of hardware: it has Wi-Fi, a single ethernet port, Bluetooth... so I was fairly surprised to see all this

This is a screenshot from before I reformatted and installed a clean Windows 8.1. Now there's only 26.

• SockDev

I'm willing to bet a lot of those are because the drivers create multiple virtual devices, even though there's only one physical device.

It happens quite a bit in Windows I find.

<!-- Emoji'd by MobileEmoji 0.2.0-->

• @anonymous234 said:

it has (loopback lo,) Wi-Fi net3, a single ethernet port eth3, Bluetooth eth4... so I was fairly surprised to see all this
    TRWTF is CrashPlan and the crappy POSIX layer it rode in on. The only ones you should see are the ones I mentioned above, eth5, eth6, and eth7, and I'm willing to bet the actual Network Connections screen in Windows would agree.

• Yeah, a Java program that handles low-level file stuff on both Windows and Linux, it's a miracle that it actually works.

(I do keep a second backup on an external hard drive using plain old rsync, for safety)

• No it isn't; they have this thing called JNI where you can write code in C. You get to make a DLL or SO for every ABI that Java supports. They are probably using that for all the "low-level file stuff". And for the low-level network stuff, they shouldn't be using GetIfTable() and vomiting the results unfiltered at the screen; instead, there's GetAdaptersInfo(), which only lists network stacks applications should actually be submitting stuff to.

• What! A buggy Java program? Naaaaah. You gotta be joshin' me.

• @TwelveBaud said:

TRWTF is CrashPlan

Couldn't agree more. We use it here.

My compile would lock up while back up was running. Even though I told it not to back up my development directory. Guess it still had to scan with some kind of nasty lock.

I uninstalled it.

My compile is now happy.

• I was just about to dump it but then I saw their 50% sale for a 1 year subscription, and well, I was weak and sleep deprived... I bought it.

So on the plus side, I now have 4 copies of all my data instead of just 3.

• @blakeyrat said:

What! A buggy Java program? Naaaaah. You gotta be joshin' me.

No, it really is a buggy Java program.

And stop calling me Josh.

• Go with "lo". It has the lowest latency of any of those.

• @blakeyrat said:

<fuck you not empty>

• @blakeyrat said:

Nope. Totally earnest.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.