From my friend who works in IT at a school, here are some screenshots of PDFs:

• FoxDev

@Yamikuronue said:

I learned this while my father-in-law was insisting he HAD to buy a 4k TV for Christmas XD

and people wondered why i just this year waited to upgrade my home network to gigabit.

i'm on ADSL cable, even on 100baseT there was no way i was saturating that pipe.

but next year they're planning on driving fiberoptic down my street. that will be awesome!

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Yamikuronue said:

Christmas XD

What, regular Christmas isn't good enough for him?

• @KillaCoder said:

Yeah but the same res doesn't mean the same quality. Youtube is compressed to shit even at "1080P". A Blu Ray is a different galaxy of quality. At least, to my eyes. My friends/family (and some folks in this thread) don't see/don't care about the difference. That's fine too. Hell, it's cheaper

I'll give you that. As an additional note, I can tell the difference between HD on YouTube, and HD on Netflix. I can also tell when Netflix bumps me down to 720p or SD. 90% of the time, I get 1080p on Netflix (might get 4k, like I said, I don't have any 4k screens). As far as I can tell, there is no significant difference between Netflix and a Blu-Ray.

@KillaCoder said:

Yes, but not one that goes from 0 - 120 MPH instantly, runs for an hour at that exact speed, and then stops instantly. Unrealistic question, I refuse to answer, rant rant rant!

You never said anything about acceleration and stopping. You just said maintaining speed.

• @Gaska said:

If scaling factor is whole number, it shouldn't be issue. Unless you have yo-momma-waist-inches screen. Or if scaling factor isn't whole number, naturally.

1920/1080 = 1.777777.....
    2560/1600 = 1.6

That might be it.

(Yes, I'm not running at true 4K because my current video card apparently caps out at 2560*1600, which I didn't check ahead of time. I have arranged for a better video card for the upcoming gift-giving festivities to fix that issue)

• As long as it's letterboxed, it should be fine.

Edit: if your screen is 4K, you'd be better off using the 1080p resolution as 3840 / 2160 = 16 / 9.

• Banned

@ben_lubar said:

if your screen is 4K, you'd be better off using the 1080p resolution as 3840 / 2160 = 16 / 9.

I think he has 16:10 screen - otherwise, he would use x1440 res.

• @Nprz said:

This is also how I'd imagine my bank interface would work. They have 3 levels of questions to verify it is me. A MITM attack could simply relay the questions and answers to gain access. Forget all those layers and just give me a regular password. Or do a proper 2-layer interface where I have a keyfob.

...and hope they can't do additional transactions for you when you're done and/or modify what you're sending on the fly, since they're MITM and already authenticated by you.

Oh wait...

• @ben_lubar said:

Netbooks have SSDS drives?

I wasn't aware that there was a @SpectateSwamp Desktop Search drive available.

• @FrostCat said:

BTW, with my company's proprietary software, we will generally take bug reports and fix problems as they occur, and deliver fixes immediately to the customer who reported the problem, and we put out updates more or less weekly.

Where I work, we've been increasing our participation in beta tests with certain vendors because we've found that that's the time we get their attention to get things fixed. In many cases, something can be fixed multiple ways - but since we're doing the testing, it gets to be fixed our preferred way. Also, if the beta is not sufficiently operational, we can roll back to the previous release. Contrast that with doing a forced upgrade along with everyone else on the same core system, and if something goes off the rails - oh well, wait in line for support until they get around to you.

Our end users don't necessarily care for the interim bugs that are sometimes introduced though. At least with some of the veterans, we can point to: "remember when X feature was such a pain for 2 years before it finally got fixed (IF it ever got fixed)? This way it's fixed within 2 weeks."

All I can tell ya is that if I treated my customers the way @codinghorror has treated us lately--and I will admit right out that my customers aren't as rude as we have been to him--they would run away from us.

And we would deserve it.

The whole numbered list thing? If one of my customers--or several, as is the case here--hated it that badly, we'd change it to make them happy. Just because Markdown's spec says it's OK to renumber lists doesn't mean it has to say that way. But I'd love to see Jeff find one person who would not like fixing it to work the way people expect it to! Because I don't think he can.

• @FrostCat said:

The whole numbered list thing? If one of my customers--or several, as is the case here--hated it that badly, we'd change it to make them happy. Just because Markdown's spec says it's OK to renumber lists doesn't mean it has to say that way. But I'd love to see Jeff find one person who would not like fixing it to work the way people expect it to! Because I don't think he can.

plugins!

@FrostCat said:

deliver fixes immediately to the customer who reported the problem

• @FrostCat said:

All I can tell ya is that if I treated my customers the way @codinghorror has treated us lately--and I will admit right out that my customers aren't as rude as we have been to him--they would run away from us.

And we would deserve it.

The whole numbered list thing? If one of my customers--or several, as is the case here--hated it that badly, we'd change it to make them happy

To be fair, people who USE discourse are not "customers", so the analogy doesn't really work.

"customer" = person(s) who pay me so I try to make them happy & put up with their shit so they keep paying me.

users != customers.

@monkeyArms said:

To be fair, people who USE discourse are not "customers", so the analogy doesn't really work.

Yeah, I know.

• I guess that is why sites ask another layer of questions when they encounter you login from a new location as that would start getting suspicious.

Couldn't view your link as it was behind some login-wall and I'm not providing credentials for a page about MITM.

• BINNED

@FrostCat said:

And we would deserve it.

That's one :wtf: . The other is that we have to use the software to post here, even after overwhelmingly negative feedback about it. I'm still considering putting up the dailywtf subreddit.

• @Nprz said:

Couldn't view your link as it was behind some login-wall and I'm not providing credentials for a page about MITM.

What login? The link goes directly to an unsecure site, resources.infosecinstitute.com/two-factor-authentication/ JUST SCROLL DOWN.

• @antiquarian said:

we have to use the software to post here,
    http://forums.thedailywtf.com/

• BINNED

I didn't know that was still going. But there isn't here, and there is going away at some point. Or are you going for a pedantic dickweed badge?

• I figure if here becomes enough of a ghost town, and there becomes the vibrant community it once was, Alex will have no choice but to nuke both from orbit and go with YAF.NET.

• @TwelveBaud said:

http://forums.thedailywtf.com/

I forgot my password to that back in 2006. That forum won't let me reset my password (no email ever arrives) nor can I register a new account (no email confirmation ever arrives). So, for me and anyone new, that forum is unavailable.

@redwizard said:

(no email confirmation ever arrives)

This is why I never made it onto there in the first place.

• Odd. It works fine today. Yesterday it just stuck at the title and there was no body to read.

@redwizard said:

nor can I register a new account (no email confirmation ever arrives).

New registrations were 'disabled' (basically required moderation - which doesn't happen since there's no real reason to) a while after everyone came over here - the only registrations that were (noticed) going through were from spammers. Who were the only ones posting as well.

• @PJH said:

New registrations were 'disabled' (basically required moderation - which doesn't happen since there's no real reason to) a while after everyone came over here even though it wasn't working properly for years before - the only registrations that were (noticed) going through were from spammers. Who were the only ones posting as well.

FTFY

I tried re-signing on in 2008 and 2010, to no avail. When you can't register, you can't tell anyone you have a problem. On the internet, no one hears your screams.

@redwizard said:

When you can't register, you can't tell anyone you have a problem.

Ah - true...

I've actually got that problem here with various accounts I've created - I don't get the emails though even though I get all other emails from here (I find GMail's search functionality somewhat better than some other search functionalities..)

• @redwizard said:

I tried re-signing on in 2008 and 2010, to no avail. When you can't register, you can't tell anyone you have a problem. On the internet, no one hears your screams.

Oddly-enough I've had the opposite problem. No issues registering for CS or doing password recoveries, but here on Discourse I always have to have PJH manually activate new accounts for me because Discourse sees a squirrel out the window right when it's about to send the email and forgets what it was supposed to be doing.

Email routing is TRWTF. Has been for decades.