Star trek: the animated series has cool aliens (the blakeyrat is watching star trek thread)

• Oh heck yeah, we got a bonanza here:

Pissed-off lizard, another bird dude (looking pretty pissed-off, too), Slouchy the K'zin, jungle chick with Wolverine hair, and slug-dude.

OH MAN INTRODUCTIONS:

This thing is Vedala, she isn't a K'zin because, you know, the whole female K'zin can't speak thing (wrong ears, too) and she looks nothing like M'ress so God knows.

That means the Star Trek animated universe has THREE DISTINCT CAT-PEOPLE FURRY RACES.

Dude is prince of the bird-people, hell yah.

This dude's name is Em/3/Green apparently. What a douche, hate him instantly.

Pissed-off lizard-dude Sord doesn't even get an intro, because Em/3/Green interrupted, what a dick.

Lara the Hunter. Either that or a reject from goddamned Flintstones, sheesh. Nice hair mustache.

Whoa, calm down lady. Sheesh.

Dude, you can't suplex him, you both got wings

• The next episode has another bonanza:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present:

The Committee of Idiots

• Mostly-naked Orion slave girl
    • Reject Mexican superman
    • Some Klingon dude (chick?)
    • A teddy bear
    • An andorian
    • Some bug dude I'm pretty sure is from a previous episode but I can't remember which one so whatever
    • The shape-shifting alien dude who turned into a table about 8 episodes ago No wait, it's the plant dude from about 4 episodes ago
    • A Barbie doll
    • One of the Wonder Twins (your super-power is useless alone, Zan!)
    • Roddy McDowall
    • An inexplicable 7 year old girl
    • I think it's that lizard dude Kirk had to make a cannon out of bamboo to blow up

That's not a teddy bear, that's a... what the... the hell...

There's FOUR DISTINCT CAT-PEOPLE FURRY RACES!?!?!?!?!?

• FoxDev

one of the writers and/or animators of TOS:A was apparently not so much of a closet Furry as an unashamed Furry (and that's not a bad thing by itself)

this is seriously making me consider reupping my netflix subscription... just for this hilarity.

• @accalia said:

one of the writers and/or animators of TOS:A was apparently not so much of a closet Furry as an unashamed Furry (and that's not a bad thing by itself)

It's more likely they saved on the animation budget by re-using notebook sketches by 11-year-old girls. They just cut out the unicorns and kept the cats.

• FoxDev

or that.

that works too.

• @accalia said:

this is seriously making me consider reupping my netflix subscription... just for this hilarity.

Would that be cheaper than buying the DVD set outright?

• FoxDev

hmm.....

CHANGE OF PLANS!

:-D

• "Hey guys, is this my face, or is this a coloring error? Like you were supposed to color in that mustache thing but-- ah fuck it."

More lizard people YAWN

EDIT: I should be counting those. That makes THREE lizard-people races, at least.

This guy's superpower is animation errors, lol.

• Ok show, I'll buy Klingons and Romulans sharing the Bird of Prey ship design, because you know TV shows have budget and all that but...

I'm not going to accept Romulans in Klingon Battlecruisers, that's crap.

And now it's all in the wiki too.

The D7 class battle cruiser was a 23rd century warship originally designed and used by the Klingon Imperial Fleet, before being shared with the Romulan military during the late-2260s.

Foo! I call fooey on this!!!

Whoa, they got a holodeck:

Wow the holodeck's very first appearance and it's already used for a tedious "holodeck malfunction" bottle episode. Sheesh.

• I uh... I... I got no comment on this one. What the holy fuck.

STAR TREK QUIZ TIME

Which hand is that?!?!?

• "You guys beholding? Hey you, in the back, you can behold better than that, can't you? I dunno. I just feel like you ain't beholding me to the best of your ability..."

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

Foo! I call fooey on this!!!

I'm pretty sure that goes back to TOS because they lost the Romulan Battlecruiser model or something.

• That was the Bird of Prey thing. What I object to is the Klingon Battlecruiser also being used by both races. Fooey!! FOOOOEYYY!!!!!!!

@blakeyrat said:

That was the Bird of Prey thing

Oops, I used the wrong word. I meant, I think they lost the BoP model, so they just used the D-7 model for the Romulans, and then unofficially retconned it as "the Klingons sold their superior technology to the Romulans" or whatever.

This isn't new, I remember reading about this a long time ago, which is why my memory about the real-world reason is fuzzy.

• @FrostCat said:

This isn't new,

The thing I saw in a show dated 1973 isn't new!?

BTW I finished the animated series and moved on to the first movie while I eat my homemade chicken soup. I might just do the whole Star Trek "thang" again. I dunno yet.

Going from Animated Series, budget: $4.95/episode to this film, which had a budget of about "85 times what the script deserved".

EDIT: Actually Star Trek: The Motion Picture is pretty much as close as we get to my dream movie "2 Hours Solid Of Douglas Trumbull Spaceship Effects to Classical Music", which BTW would be the best sci-fi movie ever.

@blakeyrat said:

The thing I saw in a show dated 1973 isn't new!?

No, the retcon, duh. Do you get some kind of sick amusement from acting so obtuse?

• I know people rag on Star Trek V, but Kirk's line:

Uh, excuse me. What does God need with a starship?

Has to be one of the best in franchise history.

(Actually, I quite like Star Trek V. It suffered a bit from low budget, but nothing compared to, for example, Generations which had a budget of like $5.95 and had to steal effects from Star Trek VI. Out of all the films, Star Trek V is the one that plays most like an episode of the series, I guess is why I like it.)

• @blakeyrat said:

• Roddy McDowall
  • ...an animated Roddy McDowall... hmmm...

no, let's not get any ideas from that

• @blakeyrat said:

Out of all the films, Star Trek V is the one that plays most like an episode of the series, I guess is why I like it.)

ST3 felt most like an episode to me...(which is why I liked it.)
    Albeit it too much was going on for it to be one episode.

"Let me guess, they don't have money in the 23rd century?"
    "Well... we don't"

"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in Space".

• @ijij said:

...an animated Roddy McDowall... hmmm...

You completely and utterly missed my joke and...

@ijij said:

ST3 felt most like an episode to me...(which is why I liked it.)Albeit it too much was going on for it to be one episode.

"Let me guess, they don't have money in the 23rd century?""Well... we don't"

"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in Space".

You got Star Trek III and Star Trek IV confused with each other.

Good job.

• why yes i am an idiot, aren't I.

My excuses: early-time of day, fever,... No. There are no excuses for such an error.

@Sam, how do I self-ban?

I feared that seeing an animated Roddy McDowall might lead you to watch and regale us with another animated series... but he didn't do a voice in that so obviously I completely missed your point....

• @ijij said:

I feared that seeing an animated Roddy McDowall might lead you to watch and regale us with another animated series...

Nothing Planet of the Apes is on Netflix. If that's even what you mean... I have no fucking clue what you're talking about, and Roddy McDowall did like 47,000 roles.

• @blakeyrat said:

Nothing Planet of the Apes is on Netflix.

I can only check for whether it exists, not whether it exists on Netflix...

• Since Sam isn't helping me self-ban...

I will further risk what little cred I may have!

Just saw Marc Lenard as a guest on "Gunsmoke"

A favorite line from TOS where he plays a Romulan commander...

Kirk has been yelling at him that they can beam his crew off his crippled ship...

ML: "No, Captain. That is not the way of my people."

TOS had cool aliens.

• Star Trek: The Next Generation has surprisingly awful effects. Not because they're "actually" awful, but because they counted a lot on 480i CRT televisions hiding the flaws. Sloppy compositing, pixelization, the works.

The filmed 1967 effects look way better, just because they were done on film and not video. Of course it helps that the original Star Trek has all been remastered and TNG hasn't. Or at least, Netflix doesn't have the remastered version. (It came out on Blu-Ray, they must have done something to make it look better, right???)

From Memory Alpha it looks like they remastered the episodes from the original camera film, including adding cut footage, although some things (the re-added footage?) didn't get enhanced.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:The_Next_Generation(Blu-ray)

Then, the article does one of your favorite things--talks about some "VAM Controversy" about how they added extra features only to some editions of the discs, and use the term VAM repeatedly without ever once, as far as I can see, saying what VAM is.

Hmmm, Value-Added something?

• My ass-pull would be Value-Added Media, very buzzwordy (if I'm right). The paragraph seems to be talking about documentaries added to the disk "to the dismay of fans" although it's too poorly-written for me to have any fucking clue really.

"Oh no! They threw in more content about the show I love so much I'm buying Blu-Ray disks of it! At a high price! When it's on fucking Netflix!"

I think the gist of it is they added new stuff to some special releases--they mentioned a movie-ified version of The Best of Both Worlds that had content that, I guess, wasn't on the regular episode discs? That would mean you'd have to buy those episodes twice.

Of course, Star Wars fans know all about that, what with buying the movies on Beta, then video disc, then DVD, then Blu-Ray, etc., etc.

Edit; Oh, except they're even dumber, because they are buying versions that are steadily made stupider by Lucas.

• Serious question: Did Star Trek (the real series) had cooler aliens?
    Please show your work.

• No.

All Star Trek (except the Animated Series) has had lame rubber-forehead aliens. They barely even fucking tried to make interesting aliens, even when CGI got cheaper. (Species 8472 was a) lame, and b) appeared like 75% of the time in human form. Those dolphin/whale aliens from Enterprise were lame as shit.)

The original series had the Gorn and that's about it. Also that one little cute dog with the unicorn horn glued on.

• @blakeyrat said:

(Species 8472 was a) lame, and b) appeared like 75% of the time in human form. Those dolphin/whale aliens from Enterprise were lame as shit.)

ERROR: SYNTAX MAKES SENSE IN ENGLISH BUT NOT IN BEN'S BRAIN

• ERROR: HORSE PLOP POOP

<poop>

• @blakeyrat said:

The original series had the Gorn and that's about it. Also that one little cute dog with the unicorn horn glued on.

And the mugato. And the horta. And the Excalbian ("rock alien") that brought back Abe Lincoln.

The mugato was pretty silly looking, because it was obviously a guy in a suit, which is probably what b'rat meant. The Horta not so much.

• @da_Doctah said:

And the Excalbian ("rock alien") that brought back Abe Lincoln.

Hahahahahahahah I totally forgot about that dude.

• @FrostCat said:

The mugato was pretty silly looking, because it was obviously a guy in a suit, which is probably what b'rat meant. The Horta not so much.

So was the Gorn, which blakey seems to admire.

Not only was the Horta the same "guy in a suit" as the mugato, he was the same guy in a suit who played the Cookie Bear every week on the Andy Williams Show.

• I thought the Horta looked like a guy on all fours with a blanket thrown over him. If it wasn't TOS I'd complain that the costume designers had a 6-year-old's imagination.

• Heh. Once you've seen Blake's 7, you stop complaining about Star Trek's budget.

• It occurs to me that when we actually do meet the aliens, there's going to be a huge contingent of fanboiz that insist on pointing out they look like a mailbox in a cardigan, or whatever.

@blakeyrat said:

Heh. Once you've seen Blake's 7, you stop complaining about Star Trek's budget.

Ha!

Janet Fielding, of the old Doctor Who, thinks Blake's 7 was especially stupid, even for sci-fi, which she thinks is stupid, except for Doctor Who.

• @blakeyrat said:

Actually, I quite like Star Trek V.

I utterly despise Star Trek V, and consider Shatner one of the worst directors ever. However, I do agree with you about that line; it is classic.

@HardwareGeek said:

I utterly despise Star Trek V, and consider Shatner one of the worst directors ever

😦 You did see Nemesis, didn't you? What about Elysium?

• Seriously. It's not even remotely close to the worst Star Trek movie (I'd assign that to Generations, but Insurrection makes a good case.) And most of the movie's problems are not Shatner's fault.

• @FrostCat said:

Janet Fielding, of the old Doctor Who, thinks Blake's 7 was especially stupid, even for sci-fi, which she thinks is stupid, except for Doctor Who.

Yeah well Doctor Who and Blakes 7 competed with budget from the BBC, so they were both drawing from the same "$9.95 sci-fi series budget" well.

@blakeyrat said:

And most of the movie's problems are not Shatner's fault.

I'll admit that the movie probably fits the "odd-numbered ones aren't good" mold to a degree, but I still mostly like it, except for the 84-deck-high turbolift shaft scene.

@blakeyrat said:

Yeah well Doctor Who and Blakes 7 competed with budget from the BBC,

True, but I don't think that's what she meant. "Science fiction sucks, except for Doctor Who."

And let's face it, the space fluid that ate Liberator was rather silly.

• @FrostCat said:

And let's face it, the space fluid that ate Liberator was rather silly.

I liked the alien trap that was composed of silly string.

Also good was the telepathic alien that made enemies see the thing they most feared, who was played by a painted rock. And not even a particularly valuable rock.

• I want to see the alternative-universe Star Trek TNG season 4 with Riker as captain and Shelby as first officer.

• The TNG episode "Cost of Living" has a really, really boring 'A' plot. But that's ok, because it also has a really, really boring 'B' plot.