Windows 9 (And Pandora) appreciation thread

• @trithne said:

Imposter Syndrome

I'm also fairly certain I got the job just because I got the tits and a nice ass.

On a more serious note, though, I've really done fucking nothing for the past few days...

• @TwelveBaud said:

at least it stops the Java Updater and other rogue malware from silently installing for all users without your knowledge.

Not necessarily. If said rogue malware was originally supplied as foistware launched from another installer originally granted elevation, there is nothing at all to stop it installing system services or scheduled tasks that run fully elevated in complete silence.

The only reason UAC stops the Java Updater is because the Java Updater is a worse clusterfuck than most current malware.

• @flabdablet said:

Not necessarily. If said rogue malware was originally supplied as foistware launched from another installer originally granted elevation, there is nothing at all to stop it installing system services or scheduled tasks that run fully elevated in complete silence.
    Quite true, but that was never the scenario UAC was designed to prevent. (Similarly, browsers don't make you wait before installing extensions just to force you to think about them; it's actually a security feature designed only to mitigate "punch the Accept button where the monkey just was" attacks, and "users have time to think" is a coincidental side effect.)

• @flabdablet said:

If said rogue malware was originally supplied as foistware launched from another installer originally granted elevation, there is nothing at all to stop it installing system services or scheduled tasks that run fully elevated in complete silence.

"Code execution results in code execution". You're already running malware, which in this case is the installer, and you've granted it privileges.

• My point is that months after the user has given UAC the go-ahead to run an installer, quite possibly in the apparently normal course of installing something legitimate that's in everyday use and causing no problems, foistware that came bundled with that installer could do things requiring elevation without causing further UAC notifications - even if no malicious code at all has actually been running in the interim.

The idea that UAC can be relied on to pop up and stop random malware doing invasive things is simply wrong. It can't. It can block scripted drive-by installation attempts from web sites, but that's about it.

• @flabdablet said:

could do things requiring elevation without causing further UAC notifications - even if no malicious code at all has actually been running in the interim.

Well, if a piece of software you trust suddenly turns evil, there's really not that much you can do. Save for an elaborate application/permission matrix which really nobody would want to deal with.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@TwelveBaud said:

That it may be, but at least it stops the Java Updater

Speaking of which, that pinged a co-worker today and then failed to download the update.

Well, it said it did. But then it launched the installer anyway, proving once again it's TRWTF.

• BINNED

@Arantor said:

Debugging PHP is a fun exercise in futility.

A-fucking-men!

It's especially fun when you work on a C++ service and a PHP script that consumes data from the said service in parallel. Instant jump from "a decent debugger" to "fuck all" every few minutes.

• BINNED

@Maciejasjmj said:

On a more serious note, though, I've really done fucking nothing for the past few days...

Ditto, due to constantly being bothered by having to perform sysadmin / support duties because we don't have a dedicated sysadmin employed for the time.

The kicker? I was never much more than a power user on Windows, don't actively use Windows since 2007-ish, and I'm still doing a better job administering Windows stuff than the ex-sysadmin. And many more before him. And given how (IMHO) shitty and patchy of a job I'm doing of it, it really makes me lose faith both in the industry and humanity.

Also helps reinforce all the things people said to @Arantor above.

@Onyx said:

It's especially fun when you work on a C++ service and a PHP script that consumes data from the said service in parallel. Instant jump from "a decent debugger" to "fuck all" every few minutes.

You don't need a debugger so much if you've got a REPL. PHP doesn't seem to come with a reasonable one out of the box (though Boris doesn't look bad). REPLs for C++ are rare (even rarer than for C, which is saying something!) so C++ programmers tend to emphasise debuggers much more.

• BINNED

@dkf said:

You don't need a debugger so much if you've got a REPL.

Well, I say script... It's actually a fully OOP-driven application, with inheritance, namespaces and module support. There's classes being loaded, references exchanged, data converted to and from JSON and fed back and forth both back to the C++ service and templating engine.

So yeah, a bit tricky to feed into a REPL properly.

Why the fuck did I say script? Bah, leave me alone, it's Sunday, I'm trying to get motivated to catch up on some work, and it's already pitch black at 5 PM. I was too lazy to properly explain it is what I'm saying. And now I actually had to. Fuck this site. Now I remember why I wasn't on it for a while - it's a barrier to working.

• @dkf said:

You don't need a debugger so much if you've got a REPL.

Hahaha wow that's wrong.

• @Onyx said:

Hahaha wow that's wrong.

"You don't need printer, my secretary will write down whatever you want, and even draw the graphics if not too complicated"

• BINNED

What... Are you trolling, misusing Discurse, or it's even MORE broken than assumed? I did not say that!

Not that I necessarily disagree, but I will not have words put into my mouth sir!

• @Onyx said:

What... Are you trolling, misusing Discurse, or it's even MORE broken than assumed? I did not say that!

Not that I necessarily disagree, but I will not have words put into my mouth sir!

I fumbled with the quoting. Although discourse didn't exactly help the matter.

• @Arantor said:

Notepad++ and a PHP extension to give me stack traces on every error that comes up, even the minor warnings. Debugging PHP is a fun exercise in futility.

Has anyone tried phpdbg?

• Java Dev

Some colleagues of mine have been enthusiastic about something of that description. I haven't tried it myself; I usually resort to debug prints. By preference I'd stay away from the PHP frontend entirely, but the Java frontend is worse, and there are occasional intervals where we don't need backend work done...

@blakeyrat said:

Hahaha wow that's wrong.

Did you notice the “so much” in there?

Generally speaking, if you've got a REPL (and generalized introspectability) then you can avoid a lot of the exploratory stuff in a debugger, and instead use some sort of shell instead (which doesn't have to be a console shell, of course). Want to see what's going on? Connect to the REPL and have a look! (It's pretty neat to be able to do that remotely.)

Which isn't to say that you never need a debugger, but they become much more relegated to dealing with what happens when things unexpectedly fail. They become useful mainly for conducting the autopsy, not studying the living patient.

• I am only just getting into the habit of 5.3+ code, I don't dare use the good shit because of the people I seem to end up working with.

Also, just wanted to say, thank you to everyone in this thread. Lot of shit going on in my personal life at present and I flipped out. You're all quite correct - and I'm slowly doing something about it.

• @boomzilla said:

I've never cared for mnemonics.

ROYGBIV?

• ♿ (Parody)

@OffByOne said:

ROYGBIV?

I have an uncle named Roy.

• @darkmatter said:

I also dont recall ever seeing sudo skip the pw just because you typed it before...

Try it: open a terminal, type sudo ls. Sudo asks for your password and lists the directory.
    Now type sudo ls again. You should get the directory listing, without having to type your password again.1

As mentioned a few times above, there is a timeout after which sudo asks for your password again. It also doesn't work cross-terminal, so if you sudo in terminal 1, you still have to type your password if you immediately after sudo in terminal 2.

1 at least on Ubuntu. Other distro's might have other settings.

• @PJH said:

Esc:!bash
    sudo chmod go+w /etc/hosts
    Ctrl-d
    <Esc>:wq
    sudo chmod go-w /etc/hosts

Or add this to your .vimrc:

cmap w!! w !sudo tee % >/dev/null

and force-save with :w!!

• FoxDev

that's going in my .vimrc.

• Let's just remember why we're all here for: UAC HATE

##HAAAATEEEEEEE

-1. You know how to fix this.

And it's not "get a Mac."

• I know, I know...

I'm never using Store apps again.

• FoxDev

wait.... all i have to do to rid myself of that [swear word] windows store is to turn off UAC?

SIGN ME UP!

• :belt_onion:

@OffByOne said:

Other distro's might have other settings.

Someone already pointed out, I believe it was that RHEL turns that off by default, and coincidentally is the only distro I've used anytime in recent memory in a scenario requiring sudo.

@accalia said:

but some enterprisey systems (i'm looking at you redhat) require the password every time.

• @darkmatter said:

Someone already pointed out, I believe it was that RHEL turns that off by default, and coincidentally is the only distro I've used anytime in recent memory in a scenario requiring sudo.

@accalia said:

but some enterprisey systems (i'm looking at you redhat) require the password every time.

I saw that when I read further down the thread, but I forgot to edit my post to say so. I didn't know about RHEL disabling the timeout.

@discoursebot, what's with the quoting of the quote??

• @OffByOne - Days Since Last Discourse Bug: 0

• FoxDev

well i dunno what happened to the rendering, but i did get the notification that you quoted me in that post...

• @accalia said:

well i dunno what happened to the rendering, but i did get the notification that you quoted me in that post...

That's... Discoursistent. I quoted @darkmatter (who happened to quote you, but that turned to plain text in my quote).

@discoursebot!

• @OffByOne - Days Since Last Discourse Bug: 0

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

Duh...Install Linux.

• kills Dumbledore

@boomzilla said:

Duh...Install Linux.

On a Mac.
    Then throw the Mac off a cliff because it's too new to run Mac Classic

• @OffByOne said:

Or add this to your .vimrc:
    > <code>cmap w!! w !sudo tee % >/dev/null</code>

and force-save with <code>:w!!</code>

What voodoo are these characters?

• @FrostCat said:

-1. You know how to fix this.

Sure it is. The Windows App-whatever-the-fuck-it's-called Store is blatantly an MS attempt to copy Apple except without any understanding of concepts like 'vertical integration'.

• @accalia said:

wait.... all i have to do to rid myself of that [swear word] windows store is to turn off UAC?

SIGN ME UP!

I wish I could do this on my mother's laptop since I would prefer not to have the store there, however I have her conditioned that if it asks for such things she is to say no or ask me.

• @boomzilla said:

Duh...Install Linux.

So now I have a command line prompt, what next?

Oh you mean one of those distributions with repositories and stuff? You should have been clearer and it's now my problem to fix. Like Linux in general.

Dammit I'm channelling @blakeyrat

• ♿ (Parody)

@Arantor said:

Dammit I'm channelling @blakeyrat

:trollface:

• @Arantor said:

@OffByOne said:
    cmap w!! w !sudo tee % >/dev/null

What voodoo are these characters?

Vim-voodoo!

Let me break that down for you:

• `cmap`: create a command-line mode map (this creates a new command that you can invoke by typing a `:` and then the name of your command)
    • `w!!`: name of the new command (chosen for its similarity to other write commands in Vim: `w` writes the current file, `w!` writes the current file even if it's readonly)
    • `w !sudo tee % >/dev/null`: expansion of the `w!!` command:
      • `w`: tell Vim to write the buffer contents to disk
      • `!`: tell Vim the destination is not a filename, but a command to pipe the buffer contents into
      • `sudo tee % >/dev/null`: the `%` is substituted with the filename associated with the current buffer. `tee` outputs whatever it finds on its STDIN both to the terminal and the file(s) specified on its command line (hence the `>/dev/null` to prevent terminal pollution, we're only interested in the "write to file" functionality). Because `tee` is invoked through `sudo`, it writes with root privileges instead of as whatever user Vim is run as.

In defense of my sanity, I've copied it from the web somewhere instead of constructing that line on my own. When I saw it, I thought "hey, that's nifty!" and shamelessly copied it to my .vimrc.

• And this is encouraging the use of vim because...?

• ♿ (Parody)

@Arantor said:

And this is encouraging the use of vim because...?

If ya' gotta ask...

• @Arantor said:

And this is encouraging the use of vim because...?

? Encouraging Vim use was not in the spec.

I just provided @PJH with a one line alternative to his mucking around with permissions or saving to an alternative location and move as root afterwards.

• @boomzilla said:

If ya' gotta ask...

...it's because I don't know the answer?

• ♿ (Parody)

@Arantor said:

...it's because I don't know the answer?

...you can't afford it. Or, in this case, it wasn't aimed at you, isn't going to work with you, or some variation thereof.

• @boomzilla said:

...you can't afford it. Or, in this case, it wasn't aimed at you, isn't going to work with you, or some variation thereof.

Or maybe I just don't know enough to see the benefit of investing time in it? :trollface:

• BINNED

@Arantor said:

Or maybe I just don't know enough to see the benefit of investing time in it?

Since it's about vim commands: you have to much sanity left.

I know, I know that is a strange thing to say to @Arantor ....

• ♿ (Parody)

@Arantor said:

Or maybe I just don't know enough to see the benefit of investing time in it? :trollface:

You would say that.