Charge your iPhone in microwave - 4chan does it again with iOS 8

• I think that was probably the time I had a bad reaction to erythromycin, on top of whatever I was taking the antibiotic for (never did figure out what that was; tried two or three antibiotics before something finally killed it). I say semi-emergency because the result was something like, "Yeah, it sounds like you've got a little fluid in there. Here, have a shot of epinephrine to help you breathe better until it clears up. And tell your roommate he's an idiot." Not life threatening, didn't even need oxygen. They may have changed antibiotics then; I don't remember.

Filed under: Chrome knows how to spell epinephrine, but not erythromycin. (It's right; I checked.)

• Hmm, some of these are very interesting in either Meta or TDWTF context...

**Lock Picking Theorem:** When a new user creates a thread which is quickly locked, there is a 50% chance that they will make a thread asking why the thread was locked, demanding the thread to be unlocked, continuing the locked topic, or apologizing for being stupid enough to create the thread in the first place. The longer the new thread goes without being locked, the more closely it will come to resemble the original thread, including the exact same arguments and posters. The more the topic starter asks to restart the thread without starting whatever debates, flame wars and criticisms that locked the previous thread, the more likely: the same points, debates, flame wars and criticism will start up, making this new thread likely to be locked like the old one Will cause even more points, debates, flame wars and criticisms to start up in addition to the old points, usually calling out the user as being a hypocrite and/or the one to start the conflicts that locked the previous thread whether or not they really did so they more than likely will be the one to start it all over again and cause 1 and 2 to happen.
    **The Law of Inevitable Statistic Abuse:** Any kind of numerical statistic displayed for users and/or submissions (such as post/edit count, average score vote, or "karma" points/"tokens" for users who contribute and/or are active), will inevitably cause some people to go to insane lengths to try and drive up their statistic(s) and/or lower those of others they dislike, usually through attempts to cheat the system, even if the stat is never taken the least bit seriously by the community. **First Corollary**: Any kind of numerical statistic based on users' votes will inevitably cause some people to create ludicrous numbers of sockpuppet accounts for the sole purpose of such abuse on that statistic. **Second Corollary**: Nobody will care about any numerical statistic. Despite this, people may end up citing such statistics during a protracted flamewar, especially in the absence of another argument or when it has been reduced to arguing semantics. **Third Corollary**: Any system which rewards members for any such statistic will inevitably prove counterproductive as the people who actually get rewarded the most are those gaming the system, which will irritate those who actually contribute honestly.
    **GreenCobra's Law**: "Arguing with the mods is allowed. Winning an argument against the mods will get you banned." When the staff of a forum is strict, mods and admins will allow people to argue against their points in order to shoot down the counterarguments and strengthen their own opinions. When this fails and a user's rebuttals become increasingly difficult to counter, expect the staff to start pulling out topic locks, demerits, and banhammers.
    **The Private Clubhouse Effect:** If a small, tight-knit community gathers around a forum, as time passes more and more postings will have little to do with whatever is the forum's subject and instead will be just the regulars chit-chatting and hanging out with each other. This also applies to individual threads, which will go on pages-long tangents.

• Custom Title Desecration Axiom: On a board which hands out free custom titles, there will always be at least one user who sets their title to something that cannot, by any stretch of the definition, be called a "rank" or a "title". 60% Of these off-topic ranks will be internet memes.

Heh.

• My second law isn't on TvTropes, only the first.

Frankly, I don't remember what the second was. (Unless it's the "every Discourse thread eventually begins talking about Discourse itself" one).

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

My second law isn't on TvTropes, only the first.

Frankly, I don't remember what the second was. (Unless it's the "every Discourse thread eventually begins talking about Discourse itself" one).

Oops, you are correct. Oh well, who cares, I was just cracking a joke

• :belt_onion:

@cartman82 said:

Not judging. IMO it's more deserving of likes than some of the discourse circlejerk posts.

I'd like this post but that would make it qualify as a circejerk itself

@HardwareGeek said:

I liked it back when you originally posted it.

AND YOU CAN NEVER TAKE IT BACK
    MUAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAA

@EvanED said:

expect an average person to know that?

Maybe not, but do we expect the average person to know not to stick metal (ie, silverware, tin foil, PHONES) in the microwave?

Yes.

@Maciejasjmj said:

Aaaaaand he misses, ladies and gentlemen.

Son of a dicsoursing bitch.

@flabdablet said:

disable the safety door switch

disabling the switch still disables the microwave.
    there's in fact 2 checks, and they both have to return GOOD or microwave no worky

• ♿ (Parody)

@darkmatter said:

Maybe not, but do we expect the average person to know not to stick metal (ie, silverware, tin foil, PHONES) in the microwave?

Haha! The phone is plastic, moran.

• @darkmatter said:

My microwave came with metal racks. One installed in an apartment I lived in for a few years had a metal rack as well as a metal temperature probe that you could put into food and then plug into the internal wall of the microwave.

Microwave ovens produce electromagnetic waves that jiggle electrons--the negatively-charged bits inside atoms--kind of like ocean waves bob buoys up and down. Jiggling electrons represent kinetic energy -- motion at the atomic level-- and produce heat. The same jostling happens with water molecules--and THAT motion heats up your food.

The electrons in metal are mobile--they can move freely among atoms--and that's where microwave problems start. A thin metal like aluminum foil doesn't have room for all the wiggling, roving electrons. Instead, they bang into aluminum atoms, and then other aluminum atoms, and the FOIL heats up, catches fire, next thing you know, handsome firemen feel. . . you're wasting their time.

Sharp edges and points -- like on a fork--can also be prickly. The problem here? Static electricity. Electrons congregate in the edges and points, building up negative charge. Eventually, they start leaping off, causing sparks .. think mini-lightning.

But when the metal is thick, smooth, with rounded edges--that metal rack--the moving electrons can bounce around freely while rarely hitting another metal atom. Rack doesn't get hot

But good luck guessing what non-preapproved metal thing won't explode your microwave.
    Though I suppose if you truly believed that Apple is claiming it is pre-approved.....

• @EvanED said:

a metal temperature probe that you could put into food and then plug into the internal wall of the microwave.

Don't microwaves generally spin your food around? I can't imagine how this would work.

Unless it doesn't, in which case yep, that probe would be pretty damn useful.

• @darkmatter said:

Though I suppose if you truly believed that Apple is claiming it is pre-approved.....

Which is kinda my point; that you actually probably could design a charging system that was relatively similar to microwave ovens.

@Maciejasjmj said:

Don't microwaves generally spin your food around? I can't imagine how this would work.
    Actually... that's a good question. I never actually used the temperature probe; I use my microwave just as a timer about an order of magnitude more often than I do actually cooking in it. I suspect there was a button to disable the turntable.

• You can also just move the turntable so that it doesn't sit on the gear in the middle that is the thing that actually turns.

@chubertdev said:

You can also just move the turntable so that it doesn't sit on the gear in the middle that is the thing that actually turns.

beat me to it.

@darkmatter said:

Yes.

"wait, cell phones have metal in them?"

(insert "cell phones are metal!!!!1" with link to youtube of someone headbanging here)

• Vaccines have metal in them, too. Make sure you don't give them to your children, they might put them in the microwave.

• I dunno, looking at my cell (a Lumia 1020) it's not completely obvious it contains metal.

@blakeyrat said:

I dunno, looking at my cell (a Lumia 1020) it's not completely obvious it contains metal.

Thus the quotes, to indicate someone who's confused because they don't realize the circuitry inside WILL have metal.

@FrostCat said:

This may be old news, but it's the first time I saw it.

Also, TRWTF is that Google autosuggests "blakeyrat's second law" but links to a page listing his first one.

broken link but whatever i'll take your word for it.
    i'm sure it is POSSIBLE.

Funny, it worked ok for me.

Here it is, plain, though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ41p20cmFs#t=475

• @darkmatter said:

Yes.

In college, I had a roommate complain there was something wrong with the microwave. I went to take a look and he showed me what was "wrong". It was sparking on the inside when he turned it on with nothing inside.

We had to get a new microwave after that. It wasn't mine so I didn't care too much.

• In college, I had a roommate (the same bleach/ammonia roommate mentioned else-topic) who cooked a potato in our microwave. I don't know how long he cooked it — I wasn't home when he did it — I think it must have been something like the time to bake a potato in an ordinary oven. Whatever the actual time was, it was long enough to completely evaporate all the water in the potato and set the dehydrated remains on fire. The oven still worked, but it smelled like potato smoke for the remainder of its useful life.

• I literally laughed out loud on reading that.

+M <-- Aww, no fun when it's not some weird squiggly character.

@cartman82 said:

One google search would be enough.

They can't do that. Their battery's flat.

• @HardwareGeek said:

In college, I had a roommate (the same bleach/ammonia roommate mentioned else-topic) who cooked a potato in our microwave. I don't know how long he cooked it — I wasn't home when he did it — I think it must have been something like the time to bake a potato in an ordinary oven. Whatever the actual time was, it was long enough to completely evaporate all the water in the potato and set the dehydrated remains on fire. The oven still worked, but it smelled like potato smoke for the remainder of its useful life.

QFT as I'm out of likes.

Filed under: Overcooking is a hazard to everything

• BTW, anyone notice that the first "victim" is a huge faky fake-face mr. fake?

So what, the guy notices his phone starts smoking, so he quickly runs off for his phone so he could snap a photo and post it on twitter.. oh wait, what phone? The one in the oven?

Or did he grab an actual camera and took the pic.... instead of trying to rescue his phone? And the camera just happened to be at hand, ready to capture this brief unexpected moment? What a coincidence!

Or maybe he did try to rescue the phone, saw it was fried and then put it back into the oven and took the picture.... so he could recreate his moment of embarrassment and brag what an idiot he is to all his friends?

Yeah right. FAKE!

The girl seems more realistic. But either way, I gather if someone DID get bitten by the prank, they'd probably know better than to brag about it online.

• @cartman82 said:

The girl seems more realistic. But either way, I gather if someone DID get bitten by the prank, they'd probably know better than to brag about it online.

I don't think teenage girls can do any activity ever without texting it to 36 people and posting it on at least 3 different Facebook pages.

• BUT HOW DID SHE POST IT WITHOUT A PHONE!? HOW!!?

<gsdgfsdgsd gsd gdsgds gds gsd gsd g ddsg dsgh sdh>

• FoxDev

With a compootimabob

@cartman82 said:

BUT HOW DID SHE POST IT WITHOUT A PHONE!? HOW!!?

Well duh! She used her old phone, but she only used that because, like, it's the only way, like, to keep up with everything her friends are, like, doing all the time. But having to do that with the old phone is really oppressing her! Does nobody understand???

• @cartman82 said:

BUT HOW DID SHE POST IT WITHOUT A PHONE!? HOW!!?

<gsdgfsdgsd gsd gdsgds gds gsd gsd g ddsg dsgh sdh>

WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL!?

• BINNED

@Steve_The_Cynic said:

since there's (by definition) a lowest possible value

Are you sure of that? I mean, have you ever worked in retail? Just sayin'

@M_Adams said:

Are you sure of that? I mean, have you ever worked in retail? Just sayin'

I'd agree with Steve. Get too far down the curve and you might forget to breathe.

• BINNED

@FrostCat said:

Get too far down the curve and you might forget to breathe.

That effect would at least be useful.

• @mott555 said:

Any system which rewards members for any such statistic will inevitably prove counterproductive as the people who actually get rewarded the most are those gaming the system, which will irritate those who actually contribute honestly.

Capital!

• When I was a blacksmith I used to mark the blades with 'pretty runes' that translated into "Stabbing into throat may cause death".

That might have been a lie. The point is: Darwinism.

• People like to depress themselves by thinking about how many low- or average-intelligence people there are. Imo, a far more effective way to depress oneself would be to observe what absolute god damn morons people with high iq tend to be.

• @Buddy said:

.. a far more effective way to depress oneself would be to observe what absolute god damn morons people with high iq tend to be.

That just implies the worth of an IQ test.

I can never get them to work anyway, instead of an integer I have to catch a "BRAIN_NOT_FOUND" error. Well fuck you too, IQ test.

• I seem to be the reverse of this, incidentally.

I have an IQ of 140, and routinely get people telling me how clever I am - and all I tend to feel inside is 'I'm just not that clever'. An event that has even been known to happen here on multiple occasions.

@Arantor said:

all I tend to feel inside is 'I'm just not that clever'

It's not that you're clever, it's that all those other people are stupid.

• Yes, but I'm always actively comparing myself to them and I feel like they're smarter than I am. Except the ones who really are morons.

• Yeah, but if we can't even reliably figure out which people are intelligent or not, how the fuck are we supposed to ever get anything done?

Just take the safety labels off everything and let Darwin sort it out.

• I dont know, I feel like you might be pretty close to being able to understand the type of melancholy I was trying to describe. Have you ever considered the idea that even the smartest person in the world still isn't smart ‘enough’?