Destiny



  • Who's playing it? Why aren't there volume sliders? Goddamned that boss music is shitty, and you can't turn it off!!!


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    Time to move out of the dorm.



  • Yeah, but have you tried the walkie talkie mics? Those are pretty silly.



  • I'm playing it. Currently not any further (in terms of story progression) than I got in the beta.

    I don't really remember what any of the music tracks sound like, except the Tower and the "Select Destination" screen. Probably because any other time I'm more focused on what's happening on the screen than the music. I'll probably be playing The Devil's Lair tonight, and I remember the fight against the Devil Walker (the tank on legs) is a slow fight, so I'll pay a little more attention to the music during it.



  • I was on the fence, and when I heard the mixed reviews, I opted against it.



  • @chubertdev said:

    I opted against it

    this, but for basically everything.

    the last triple A game I bought at full price was Alien vs Predator, the 17 gig one that came out about 4 years ago, and was terrible. I have only bought humble bundles or waited 6+ months to get them at 50-75% off ever since.

    I still have loads of games to get through...



  • @algorythmics said:

    this, but for basically everything.

    the last triple A game I bought at full price was Alien vs Predator, the 17 gig one that came out about 4 years ago, and was terrible. I have only bought humble bundles or waited 6+ months to get them at 50-75% off ever since.

    I still have loads of games to get through...

    That game was horrible though and got trashed in the reviews. Destiny got pretty good reviews, just not universal acclaim.



  • the reviews started out in the 80s-90s, then plummeted 3 weeks after release



  • @algorythmics said:

    the reviews started out in the 80s-90s, then plummeted 3 weeks after release

    O really? That's scummy. I play a lot of games but I'm usually a year or two behind everyone else (apart from the odd "big game") so I never see stuff like that.

    Now I think of it, they do have stuff like embargos against bad reviews and such, don't they?



  • No idea, all I know is what I saw :frowning:



  • @algorythmics said:

    :frowning:

    WHAT...WAS...SEEN...CANT...BE...UNSEEN



  • Waiting for a PC-version...



  • @cvi said:

    Waiting for a PC-version...

    I'm torn. I don't REALLY want a PS4 (yet), pretty sure this game WILL come to PC. But a few buddies are already into it on PS4. And that's kinda the point, isn't it?



  • If you want to play with friends, yeah, you may as well not hold out. Given there's no cross-platform play between Xbox and PlayStation, there certainly won't be for console and PC


  • SockDev

    eeeh. looks interesting. i'l wait till one of steams 75% off sales. they happen often enough.



  • Yeah... I just really don't wanna drop the several hundred euros for one game :stuck_out_tongue:
    Aw well. Was gonna happen sooner or later.

    looks over to preview window

    Jesus Christ is there a single emoticon/emoji left that isn't a rape face?



  • You didn't get ear-bleed from the awful techno music from the the final boss battle in the Russia area? I think it's about level 6-7... I cant remember for sure.

    That music is the worst track I've heard in a AAA video game in a LONG time. Except Saint's Row, but their bad music is on purpose.



  • @chubertdev said:

    I was on the fence, and when I heard the mixed reviews, I opted against it.

    Me too, but now I have like 3 friends playing it, and video game chat is about the only way I ever talk to some of my friends. Mediocre multiplayer games like Destiny and before that Titanfall benefit a lot from network effect.

    @algorythmics said:

    the last triple A game I bought at full price was Alien vs Predator, the 17 gig one that came out about 4 years ago, and was terrible.

    Really? I didn't think it was that bad.

    @KillaCoder said:

    That game was horrible though and got trashed in the reviews. Destiny got pretty good reviews, just not universal acclaim.

    I'm confused, as we talking about the Aliens vs. Predator remake, or Aliens: Colonial Marines? The latter definitely had bad reviews.

    ... ugh. It's like a 68 on metacritic. I liked that game.



  • I just read today that the next EDF game (a upgraded version of 2025 with KAIJU!) is coming to PS4 and not Xbox One. :( Despite the last, like, 3-4 EDF games being Xbox-exclusive or at least Xbox-first.)

    So they released 2025 on Xbox 360 after everybody had already unplugged their 360s and moved on to the Xbox One, and now the next-gen port of it is going to Sony? I feel betrayed.

    I guess I should unpack my 360, buy a copy of 2025 for it and play through it while crying, "this might be the last EDF experience I ever get! *sob*" Oh well, the last one didn't really recreate the insanity of 2017 anyway. EDF 2017, a.k.a. the best FPS game for any platform ever made ever in history ever.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    I'm confused, as we talking about the Aliens vs. Predator remake, or Aliens: Colonial Marines? The latter definitely had bad reviews.

    ... ugh. It's like a 68 on metacritic. I liked that game.

    A v P remake. I hated it. Although to be fair, I only tried playing as the Alien. The controls and camera for walking on walls made me very, very ill.

    @blakeyrat said:

    I just read today that the next EDF game (a upgraded version of 2025 with KAIJU!) is coming to PS4 and not Xbox One. :( Despite the last, like, 3-4 EDF games being Xbox-exclusive or at least Xbox-first.)

    That kinda suits me since I'm going 360 to PS4!
    @blakeyrat said:
    So they released 2025 on Xbox 360 after everybody had already unplugged their 360s and moved on to the Xbox One, and now the next-gen port of it is going to Sony? I feel betrayed.

    Not quite Final Fantasy defecting to Playstation from Nintendo but pretty sucky!
    @blakeyrat said:
    I guess I should unpack my 360, buy a copy of 2025 for it and play through it while crying, "this might be the last EDF experience I ever get! *sob*" Oh well, the last one didn't really recreate the insanity of 2017 anyway. EDF 2017, a.k.a. the best FPS game for any platform ever made ever in history ever.

    The best FPS game ever is a TPS?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Really? I didn't think it was that bad.

    to be fair, I have played worse games, but it didn't do what it claimed, and the much touted multiplayer was pants, it was my first brush with peer-to-peer console style everyone can be a server and I didn't like it at all. Oh and also the campaigns were really lacking for non-human.



  • @KillaCoder said:

    A v P remake. I hated it. Although to be fair, I only tried playing as the Alien. The controls and camera for walking on walls made me very, very ill.

    That was true of the original game they were remaking which everybody loved. They actually slowed the movement down somewhat between the two.

    I thought it was great to be able to walk up walks by just ... walking into them. I'm waiting to see some other game make a more creative use of that concept, but so far I haven't seen any.

    @KillaCoder said:

    That kinda suits me since I'm going 360 to PS4!

    Traitor!

    @KillaCoder said:

    The best FPS game ever is a TPS?

    Theater Puget Sound? Transaction Processing System? Temporary Protected Status?

    @algorythmics said:

    to be fair, I have played worse games, but it didn't do what it claimed, and the much touted multiplayer was pants,

    I never touched multiplayer on it. And I think it's stupid to review multiplayer and singleplayer and give it a single score. Because then you end up with games like Spec Ops: The Line which get totally cheated.



  • BTW I think this is the track I'm referring to:

    Destiny Soundtrack The Dark within – 04:38
    — ForumDestinyItalia

    Ugh. And it's LOUD too. Not only can you not mute the music, you can't even turn it down so it's not drowning out your goddamned rifle.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Theater Puget Sound? Transaction Processing System? Temporary Protected Status?

    Third-Person Shooter.

    Anyway, I'm holding out on getting any future gaming systems until I see some must buy titles.

    Having said that, one of my friends bought an Xbox One for the game, which disappointed me.



  • @powerlord said:

    Third-Person Shooter.

    Oh I guess it's technically third-person. Whatever, it's a fucking shooter, where the camera hovers isn't important.

    @powerlord said:

    Having said that, one of my friends bought an Xbox One for the game,

    THE game! "Which game?" "THE! game." "I don't know which game is th--" "THE!!! game."



  • @blakeyrat said:

    THE game! "Which game?" "THE! game." "I don't know which game is th--" "THE!!! game."

    ...it's in the topic title. Which you created.



  • AND YET! I am still making fun of you.

    If you had typed "this game" I would not be. FYI.



  • Waiting for my PC port, so I can pirate it, try it out for 10 minutes and then go back to my indies.



  • @cartman82 said:

    Waiting for my PC port, so I can pirate it, try it out for 10 minutes and then go back to my indies.

    If they do a PC port, they'll do an open beta like they did on consoles. Don't pirate, asshole.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    If they do a PC port, they'll do an open beta like they did on consoles. Don't pirate, asshole.

    But mooom, it's so easy!

    Seriously, I don't remember when was the last time I played something I didn't buy.



  • @cartman82 said:

    Seriously, I don't remember when was the last time I played something I didn't buy.


    Filed Under: missed yo mama joke



  • @blakeyrat said:

    That was true of the original game they were remaking which everybody loved. They actually slowed the movement down somewhat between the two.

    I thought it was great to be able to walk up walks by just ... walking into them. I'm waiting to see some other game make a more creative use of that concept, but so far I haven't seen any.


    Never played the original. Sounds like I'd hate it too :smile:
    Probably no way to do such complex controls and camera without folks like me feeling sick.
    @blakeyrat said:
    Traitor!

    Merely returning to the fold ;) (PS2 -> 360 -> PS4)

    @blakeyrat said:

    Oh I guess it's technically third-person. Whatever, it's a fucking shooter, where the camera hovers isn't important.

    If it's a fucking shooter, call it a fucking shooter, and if the camera isn't important maybe don't refer to it with a term which is two thirds devoted to describing said camera? First Person Shooter



  • @KillaCoder said:

    A v P remake. I hated it. Although to be fair, I only tried playing as the Alien. The controls and camera for walking on walls made me very, very ill.

    But the wallrunning with the Aliens was soooo much fun in MP. :-) But sure, it took a bit getting used to.

    (Incidentally, IMO half of the fun of Titanfall was the unrestricted movement outside of the titans.)



  • I hate third-person shooters. It's just so convenient to not have your own character blocking 1/3rd of your field of view!



  • +1, just a like is not enough.


  • SockDev

    ima just leave this here:



  • Who said turn-based games are dead? Civilization V: Beyond Earth is about to be released. First Civ game I've been excited about since the 90's!


  • SockDev

    well el reg did, but probably more for the catchy title than anything else...



  • Leave this here... why?

    Who said turn-based gaming was dead? WTF. I don't understand why that article exists, and I don't understand why you linked it here.


  • SockDev

    because they are alternate games, for cheaper and good reviews.

    i thought you might be interested in looking into them, but if i have offended i'll take them elsewhere.



  • But I already spent the $60 on Destiny.


  • SockDev

    then enjoy the money well spent and invest in a normalizing line filter for your speakers?

    or spend more money and have a new game to complain about?



  • @accalia said:

    then enjoy the money well spent and invest in a normalizing line filter for your speakers?

    or spend more money and have a new game to complain about?

    What makes you think that @blakeyrat likes complaining?



  • I don't think you understand the problem.

    The problem is two-fold:

    1. The music volume can't be set separately from the sound effects volume
    2. The music is ass

  • SockDev

    1. ouch
    2. mute, that works right?


  • Right but then I can't hear the, you know, game. The shooting and explosions and stuff.

    This whole thread is mostly amazement that a game was released in 2014 without volume sliders.



  • I played the beta and it was basically like playing Halo ... Halo series wasn't bad but they weren't Brilliant.



  • Why? 2014 trends are about removing features, not adding them.



  • @lucas said:

    I played the beta and it was basically like playing Halo ... Halo series wasn't bad but they weren't Brillant.

    DWTFTFY


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    Who said turn-based gaming was dead?

    All[1] the people who make realtime games.

    [1] disclaimer here.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.