Inessential Weirdnesses

• @delfinom said:

Welcome to world of Linux. OpenSSH uses HOME because HOME is guaranteed to be in that path.

My point is Windows is not Linux. And HOME (in Windows at least) is obsolete and has been superseded for, what, 20 years at this point?

• @delfinom said:

First thought off my head is certain programs like to set a HOME path variable. Some cadence software is fucking notorious for that. When the home path is weird you need to make the .ssh folder in that weird path instead of the expected C:/Users/Username because openssh defaults to using it. Otherwise got any more details?

I'm just wondering why do the whole PuttyKey thing, when they can apparently just use the normal ssh keys. HOME var couldn't be it, because when setting up repository, you are expected to enter the full path to the private key you want to use. So you should be able to just select normal id_rsa instead of the translated version...

That's just one of those things I got to working once and now I just blindly repeat the same process each time, because I don't care enough to try a better solution.

• @blakeyrat said:

My point is Windows is not Linux. And HOME (in Windows at least) is obsolete and has been superseded for, what, 20 years at this point?

Well the problem is OpenSSH defaults to it IF it is set. It does not SET the path itself nor install itself like that. The problem is when other enterprise grade garbage like Cadence CAD tools set the HOME path.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

But that's not what they did. They declared it "done" long before any thought had gone into a GUI.

OK, so what?

@blakeyrat said:

Then we're just right back to: "this software is just for us and people who think exactly like us, fuck you! We don't need to support users with disabilities, fuck them!"

And that's exactly why they didn't allow anyone to build any tools on top of theirs.

@blakeyrat said:

On a broader philosophical point, why the holy fuck would you even write and release software you didn't expect people to use? And if you expected them to use it, why wouldn't you endeavor to make it usable?

People do use it and find it useful and usable.

@blakeyrat said:

They could recruit someone who is good at it.

Why bother? I'm sure they have more productive things to do than worrying about that. And plenty of people stepped up and did it without being recruited.

Geez...these are dumb points even for you.

• You know if you connect to a computer with Windows Remote Desktop all that stupid key exchange bullshit just happens silently and automatically in the background. Ditto if you connect to another person using your Xbox.

What that fuck is the open source community's problem that they can't do it automatically?

• @cartman82 said:

I'm just wondering why do the whole PuttyKey thing, when they can apparently just use the normal ssh keys. HOME var couldn't be it, because when setting up repository, you are expected to enter the full path to the private key you want to use. So you should be able to just select normal id_rsa instead of the translated version...

That's just one of those things I got to working once and now I just blindly repeat the same process each time, because I don't care enough to try a better solution.

Ahhh, PuttyKey is just bollocks. Normal SSH is beautiful :)

• @blakeyrat said:

You know if you connect to a computer with Windows Remote Desktop all that stupid key exchange bullshit just happens silently and automatically in the background. Ditto if you connect to another person using your Xbox.

What that fuck is the open source community's problem that they can't do it automatically?

Wait what? It does all happen automatically for SSH once you setup keys.

• @boomzilla said:

OK, so what?

So they built like 50% of the product and declared it done. We already went over this. Try and keep up.

@boomzilla said:

And that's exactly why they didn't allow anyone to build any tools on top of theirs.

That's not the point. That changes it from, "fuck you" to, "do it yourself, fuck you".

@boomzilla said:

People do use it and find it useful and usable.

Right; but only a small percentage of the people who could potentially benefit from it. Why wouldn't they want everybody to be able to use the tool? Isn't that the point of releasing it?

@boomzilla said:

Why bother? I'm sure they have more productive things to do than worrying about that.

I highly doubt it. I bet they went back to porting their software packages independently to 36 different Linux distros because none of them could agree on where DLLs go.

@boomzilla said:

Geez...these are dumb points even for you.

Yeah well it's almost lunchtime.

@delfinom said:

Wait what? It does all happen automatically for SSH once you setup keys.

So it doesn't happen automatically. See Boomzilla, now that's how you do dumb arguments. Delfinom's got me beat here.

• What that fuck is the open source community's problem that they can't do it automatically?

It's a law of nature/logic.

If you can't verify that a machine is the machine it says it is, it would be utterly moronic to give it your keys...

• @blakeyrat said:

You know if you connect to a computer with Windows Remote Desktop all that stupid key exchange bullshit just happens silently and automatically in the background. Ditto if you connect to another person using your Xbox.

You must enter username and password for RDC. You can do the exact same thing with git. It is just deemed safer in the long run to use public key cryptography instead.

• @cartman82 said:

It is just deemed safer in the long run to use public key cryptography instead.

Yeah and as an added bonus, it creates a HUGE DIFFICULT HURDLE keeping more of those plebs away from our precious important open source code! Make it harder, harder! We run the risk someone other than us might be able to figure any of this the fuck out!

• @blakeyrat said:

Yeah and as an added bonus, it creates a HUGE DIFFICULT HURDLE keeping more of those plebs away from our precious important open source code! Make it harder, harder! We run the risk someone other than us might be able to figure any of this the fuck out!

You are more than free to use fucking HTTPS logins username/password with most major git hosts you ignorant fuck. Heck, there's a remember me option in most git guis.

• We run the risk someone other than us might be able to figure any of this the fuck out!

How do you think we figured it out?

Hint: it wasn't by whining.

• @blakeyrat said:

See what @delfinom says. There's an option.

The whole pub/private key thing is something you take care of ONCE and then you never have to worry about it again. So this is a better option for people who use git all the time.

But yeah, they could make it clear that casual users can just use the normal login system.

• I bet he dislikes open source so much he purchases WinZip to this day. A former coworker used to do that.

• @Captain said:

How do you think we figured it out?

Hint: it wasn't by whining.

I figured it out too. I know how painful it is. That's why I advocate fixing this shit to make it less painful.

• @delfinom said:

I bet he dislikes open source so much he purchases WinZip to this day. A former coworker used to do that.

Zip functionality has been built-in to every OS I use for like 11 years at this point.

• Yes, agonizing.

$ ssh-copy-id user@remote

• @blakeyrat said:

Zip functionality has been built-in to every OS I use for like 11 years at this point.

Unless you want to unzip a gzip compressed tarball.

• @Captain said:

Yes, agonizing.

$ ssh-copy-id user@remote

Would be if I had arthritis. Using a mouse would be significantly easier. HMM!

• @delfinom said:

Unless you want to unzip a gzip compressed tarball.

Why would I want to do that? To work on some open source bullshit? No thanks.

• But you don't have arthritis. You're just a whiner who doesn't know what to ask. So you get frustrated at people you perceive as being unhelpful.

Also: arthritis has no effect on typing skill. But it does affect mousing skill, negatively.

• @Captain said:

But you don't have arthritis.

How is that relevant? The point is that command can be agonizing, literally agonizing, for some people. That's the reason commercial OSes have accessibility features, because when Microsoft designs a product they want everybody to be able to use, they actually expend effort ensuring everybody can use it. Those crazy bastards.

• Arthritis has no effect on typing skill. But it does affect mousing skill, negatively.

• @blakeyrat said:

Would be if I had arthritis. Using a mouse would be significantly easier. HMM!

If you had arthritis [which affected typing], coding would be agonizing as well.

Edited to take @Captain's link into account.

• @abarker said:

If you had arthritis [which affected typing], coding would be agonizing as well.

Ok; and if I wanted to provide, say, voice clips for the project's tutorial mode? (Sorry, I'm getting tired of the UI mockup examples.)

None of this is an excuse for excluding that person from the project.

• You could...

1. Make arrangements with the project and email it to them.
    2. Make arrangements and upload to a site you can both agree to.
    3. Make arrangements and record via VOIP, like lots of recording artists do now.

• You could. You could also examine your own life and think, "why am I in a forum arguing that software should be less accessible and less usable? When did I decide to say fuck the world, and give up on humanity? Why am I so fucking awful?"

• BINNED

At this point the only thing missing to make the blakeytrolling complete is for one of you to mention that you don't like git either but have better reasons for not liking it.

Filed under: or does this belong on the evil ideas thread?

• Yes, why don't we just throw an email client into git, too? No software is complete until it has an email client.

• He knows lots of us hate it. Git is terrible because:

1. its UI is highly non-orthogonal.
    2. the documentation is pretty bad, and you have to read a book to understand the underlying model
    3. you have to understand the underlying model to be an effective problem solver with it (whereas the model is just an implementation detail for most of the other distributed version control systems)

It is not terrible because it doesn't have a GUI. It has many GUIs, including one that is bundled with the core components.

• @antiquarian said:

At this point the only thing missing to make the blakeytrolling complete is for one of you to mention that you don't like git either but have better reasons for not liking it.

@Captain said:

Git is terrible because:

OK, we're done here.

• kills Dumbledore

@Captain said:

you have to understand the underlying model to be an effective problem solver with it (whereas the model is just an implementation detail for most of the other distributed version control systems)

why do you need to solve problems with a source control system? It's a tool for keeping records of the other problems you've solved, it should not be a problem in itself.

• @blakeyrat said:

I am a programmer, and I cannot use CLIs effectively.

Uhhhh... can you write code? Have you ever used a repl? Do you know what a keyboard is?

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

So they built like 50% of the product and declared it done. We already went over this. Try and keep up.

They built 100% of what they needed and let it be public. What's wrong with that?

@blakeyrat said:

Why wouldn't they want everybody to be able to use the tool? Isn't that the point of releasing it?

Maybe they did want 100% of the people to benefit. What difference does it make? They had their tool and could get on with their objective, which wasn't developing git to have a GUI. I'm not sure why you think you should be able to dictate what other people should do.

• ♿ (Parody)

@jaloopa said:

why do you need to solve problems with a source control system? It's a tool for keeping records of the other problems you've solved, it should not be a problem in itself.

Except the problem is that for reasons you need to keep track of multiple lines of development and bug fixing and deployments at the same time. It's a tool that's used to solve problems.

Don't be dragged down to @blakeyrat's level.

• @Bort said:

Uhhhh... can you write code?

Yes.

@Bort said:

Have you ever used a repl?

Depends on what "repl" stands for I guess. Repository? Reply? Reptile?

@Bort said:

Do you know what a keyboard is?

Yup.

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

Read Evaluate Print Loop. Python and Ruby both have them.

• @blakeyrat said:

Ha ha ha! Ha HA ahAHAHHAHAH! HAHAH!

lrn2program.

• I started on BASIC on my C-64, pretty sure that meets the requirements of "read, evaluate, print, loop".

BLAKEYRATISCOOL BLAKEYRATISCOOL BLAKEYRATISCOO
    L BLAKEYRATISCOOL BLAKEYRATISCOOL BLAKEYRATISCO
    OL BLAKEYRATISCOOL BLAKEYRATISCOOL BLAKEYRATISC
    break on like 2

• BINNED

Interesting. You were using computers back when the CLI was all that was available unless you had a small fortune. What happened?

• @antiquarian said:

Interesting. You were using computers back when the CLI was all that was available unless you had a small fortune. What happened?

THE ENTIRE PLANET EXPLODED!

... what do you mean "what happened"? What do you think happened? We got a Mac, and I learned how computers are supposed to work, then I found out the asstastic IT industry would still rather work on their C-64 Model 2014 than working on a real computer made for real people. Then I got depressed and killed myself. THEN THE ENTIRE PLANET EXPLODED!

• BINNED

So it's not that you can't do CLI, it's that you won't because you think you shouldn't have to. Perfectly within your rights, but it's a different story from what you've been telling us all along.

• @antiquarian said:

So it's not that you can't do CLI,

Considering how shitty my accuracy is when getting CLI commands right, I would say "can't". It takes me like 5 tries to get the syntax right, and each try I'm nervous as shit that I'm about to delete something important.

@antiquarian said:

it's that you won't because you think you shouldn't have to.

Can't and won't aren't mutually-exclusive.

@antiquarian said:

Perfectly within your rights, but it's a different story from what you've been telling us all along.

I don't see how.

• This post is deleted!

• I don't understand. If you can't use a REPL because of feelings, why aren't those same feelings stopping you from programming at all?

All a REPL/shell does is automate the "write a series of commands, compile into program, run the program" workflow.

Okay, your fancy IDE has a build button. And I bet it even runs the program for you if you want it to. But the essential step, where you actually write code, isn't substantially different in either environment.

You just write a series of commands and say 'GO'.

• I have literally no idea what argument you are trying to make, assuming you're trying to make one at all.

What is your point?

• I asked you a question.

• @blakeyrat said:

I have literally no idea what argument you are trying to make, assuming you're trying to make one at all.

What is your point?

Translation:
    Why are you ok with typing in computer programs, but are having problems typing in terminal commands, when both are pretty similar?

• @cartman82 said:

Translation:Why are you ok with typing in computer programs, but are having problems typing in terminal commands, when both are pretty similar?

Because if I make a mistake in a computer program, it either doesn't compile at all (C#), or it runs but it's harmless and you just hit refresh (JavaScript).

If the CLI had any kind of protection in place like that, I might feel more comfortable with it. But nope, you type the wrong thing and woop! You're fucked! No going back! Fuck you, user!