"Just supply a PR"

• @Arantor said:

The fact that Git seems to require drastic measures like rebasing does not endear me to its reliability.

As far as I understand it, rebase fetches a remote branch, then puts your local changes over it (basically does a diff between what you checked out initially, then applies that diff over whatever branch you're rebasing to).
    @blakeyrat said:
    I've never had a bike go more than 250 or so.
    What kind of crap bikes do you buy? I don't have anything fancy, but can easily do 250 miles in a week on mine (or could - I've been a bit lazy this year).

• Probably the Wal*Mart special. With generous use of WD-40 in the chain.

• @Matches said:

Do you know what PR stands for as codinghorror used it?

Julio Valdez maybe, but he's Dominican, not Puerto Rican.

• How many of you have done 3000 miles in three days on a bike?

• Yes Jeff is absolutely right ...and its unique packaging can confound even the sharpest minds at first, second, and third attempt.

You can't just open a database and seek out things you have an additional SSH jump into the docker bubble then, well then I usually have to get help. Sam showed me a simplified way to get in and do basic queries, Riking has a method that is not something I am used to I think it is redis bash type commands to fix things in the tables and it goes right over my head. Which is sad, because I think I am a good programmer (in the dynamic languages space)

With Discourse it is really neat how fast you get up and running and you are glazed over the beauty of the app and the concept but then things get weird and atypical. Then you hit the technology boundaries in yourself very quick.

I don't know anyone who knows this stuff very well. I believe it is partly the way they code things. Very terse code in some of the files I have cracked open. Very objectified, great for the machine, not so good for human readability (mind you I have only looked at a small sample of things to trace only a few things that concerned my discourse site and the problems I created (by myself)).

During the height of my exploration misery. I found myself overtaken by a bought of ADHD and decided to quell my pain by reading the top Stack Overflow answers EVAR convo and one of the answers started to do this....

HTML tags lea͠ki̧n͘g fr̶ǫm ̡yo​͟ur eye͢s̸ ̛l̕ik͏e liq​uid pain, the song of re̸gular exp​ression parsing will exti​nguish the voices of mor​tal man from the sp​here I can see it can you see ̲͚̖͔̙î̩́t̲͎̩̱͔́̋̀ it is beautiful t​he final snuffing of the lie​s of Man ALL IS LOŚ͖̩͇̗̪̏̈́T ALL I​S LOST the pon̷y he comes he c̶̮omes he comes the ich​or permeates all MY FACE MY FACE ᵒh god no NO NOO̼O​O NΘ stop the an​*̶͑̾̾​̅ͫ͏̙̤g͇̫͛͆̾ͫ̑͆l͖͉̗̩̳̟̍ͫͥͨe̠̅s ͎a̧͈͖r̽̾̈́͒͑e n​ot rè̑ͧ̌aͨl̘̝̙̃ͤ͂̾̆ ZA̡͊͠͝LGΌ ISͮ̂҉̯͈͕̹̘̱ TO͇̹̺ͅƝ̴ȳ̳ TH̘Ë͖́̉ ͠P̯͍̭O̚​N̐Y̡ H̸̡̪̯ͨ͊̽̅̾̎Ȩ̬̩̾͛ͪ̈́̀́͘ ̶̧̨̱̹̭̯ͧ̾ͬC̷̙̲̝͖ͭ̏ͥͮ͟Oͮ͏̮̪̝͍M̲̖͊̒ͪͩͬ̚̚͜Ȇ̴̟̟͙̞ͩ͌͝S̨̥̫͎̭ͯ̿̔̀ͅ

That is how I felt. It seems to be that code obfuscation is alive and well in this world and that Discourse is open source software, that really doesn't feel open sourced. Sure you can fork it and do something cool but know that your are dealing with something much more complex:

Filed under: I just don't get the purpose of making something blindingly complex but maybe there is a reason (or maybe there isn't).

• Pull Request.

• You can't parse [X]HTML with regex. Because HTML can't be parsed by regex. Regex is not a tool that can be used to correctly parse HTML. As I have answered in HTML-and-regex questions here so many times before, the use of regex will not allow you to consume HTML. Regular expressions are a tool that is insufficiently sophisticated to understand the constructs employed by HTML. HTML is not a regular language and hence cannot be parsed by regular expressions. Regex queries are not equipped to break down HTML into its meaningful parts. so many times but it is not getting to me. Even enhanced irregular regular expressions as used by Perl are not up to the task of parsing HTML. You will never make me crack. HTML is a language of sufficient complexity that it cannot be parsed by regular expressions. Even Jon Skeet cannot parse HTML using regular expressions. Every time you attempt to parse HTML with regular expressions, the unholy child weeps the blood of virgins, and Russian hackers pwn your webapp. Parsing HTML with regex summons tainted souls into the realm of the living. HTML and regex go together like love, marriage, and ritual infanticide. The <center> cannot hold it is too late. The force of regex and HTML together in the same conceptual space will destroy your mind like so much watery putty. If you parse HTML with regex you are giving in to Them and their blasphemous ways which doom us all to inhuman toil for the One whose Name cannot be expressed in the Basic Multilingual Plane, he comes. HTML-plus-regexp will liquify the n​erves of the sentient whilst you observe, your psyche withering in the onslaught of horror. Rege̿̔̉x-based HTML parsers are the cancer that is killing StackOverflow it is too late it is too late we cannot be saved the trangession of a chi͡ld ensures regex will consume all living tissue (except for HTML which it cannot, as previously prophesied) dear lord help us how can anyone survive this scourge using regex to parse HTML has doomed humanity to an eternity of dread torture and security holes using regex as a tool to process HTML establishes a breach between this world and the dread realm of c͒ͪo͛ͫrrupt entities (like SGML entities, but more corrupt) a mere glimpse of the world of reg​ex parsers for HTML will ins​tantly transport a programmer's consciousness into a world of ceaseless screaming, he comes, the pestilent slithy regex-infection wil​l devour your HT​ML parser, application and existence for all time like Visual Basic only worse he comes he comes do not fi​ght he com̡e̶s, ̕h̵i​s un̨ho͞ly radiańcé destro҉ying all enli̍̈́̂̈́ghtenment, HTML tags lea͠ki̧n͘g fr̶ǫm ̡yo​͟ur eye͢s̸ ̛l̕ik͏e liq​uid pain, the song of re̸gular exp​ression parsing will exti​nguish the voices of mor​tal man from the sp​here I can see it can you see ̲͚̖͔̙î̩́t̲͎̩̱͔́̋̀ it is beautiful t​he final snuffing of the lie​s of Man ALL IS LOŚ͖̩͇̗̪̏̈́T ALL I​S LOST the pon̷y he comes he c̶̮omes he comes the ich​or permeates all MY FACE MY FACE ᵒh god no NO NOO̼O​O NΘ stop the an​*̶͑̾̾​̅ͫ͏̙̤g͇̫͛͆̾ͫ̑͆l͖͉̗̩̳̟̍ͫͥͨe̠̅s ͎a̧͈͖r̽̾̈́͒͑e n​ot rè̑ͧ̌aͨl̘̝̙̃ͤ͂̾̆ ZA̡͊͠͝LGΌ ISͮ̂҉̯͈͕̹̘̱ TO͇̹̺ͅƝ̴ȳ̳ TH̘Ë͖́̉ ͠P̯͍̭O̚​N̐Y̡ H̸̡̪̯ͨ͊̽̅̾̎Ȩ̬̩̾͛ͪ̈́̀́͘ ̶̧̨̱̹̭̯ͧ̾ͬC̷̙̲̝͖ͭ̏ͥͮ͟Oͮ͏̮̪̝͍M̲̖͊̒ͪͩͬ̚̚͜Ȇ̴̟̟͙̞ͩ͌͝S̨̥̫͎̭ͯ̿̔̀ͅ

• I fix something in my forked repo. I commit the change, I submit a request that the pull my code change into their repo and make it part of the source.

But then the exciting part comes. Will they take your change or deny it.

I then wait in anticipation and see how the chips fall.

• I'm not going to win any friend points with this response, but whatever.

Jeff is looking at the bigger picture and I would venture to speculate that it doesn't stop here.

I am sure he is concerned about his legacy in technology history.

Let me show you how 'I think' Jeff's mind works:

Mark Zuckerberg
    Bill Gates
    Jeff Atwood

He wants his team to be number one.

He wants to be number one.

Jeff, the Ginger and the trout fish? Those guys operate in a god damn fucking hard to flourish production space.

You know, he is giving all of us a model for success, right? Just watching things transpire since version 0.9.9.3 have been immensely useful.

Love it or hate it Jeff and Discourse have certainly shook up the dialog on development, software adoption, usability, collaboration and how their team operates AND one or two things about running a technology company.

Or maybe I'm the only one paying attention?

Filed under: Didn't like what I had to say? Go ahead and click the heart button (lower right).

• I've never done that. I've gone a mile in 3 minutes during rush hour, though.

• @Captain said:

I've never done that. I've gone a mile in 3 minutes during rush hour, though.

I've done a mile in less than 30 seconds. Hmmm.

• I've done a mile in about 8 seconds.

Sometimes a jetliner is more practical than a car. Not always, though.

• :belt_onion:

@Frank said:

I'm not going to win any friend points with this response, but whatever.

Jeff is looking at the bigger picture and I would venture to speculate that it doesn't stop here.

I am sure he is concerned about his legacy in technology history.

Let me show you how 'I think' Jeff's mind works:

Mark ZuckerbergBill GatesJeff Atwood

He wants his team to be number one.

He wants to be number one.

Jeff, the Ginger and the trout fish? Those guys operate in a god damn fucking hard to flourish production space.

You know, he is giving all of us a model for success, right? Just watching things transpire since version 0.9.9.3 have been immensely useful.

Love it or hate it Jeff and Discourse have certainly shook up the dialog on development, software adoption, usability, collaboration and how their team operates AND one or two things about running a technology company.

Or maybe I'm the only one paying attention?

Filed under: Didn't like what I had to say? Go ahead and click the heart button (lower right).

Did Nagesh turn into you?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@cartman82 said:

The only time I actually had to go nuclear was when I accidentally merged development branch into master and kept coding for another week or two before I found out. I tried all the Ben's fancy options, but in the end, I think I simply did reset --hard to the last good commit and then manually applied the last two weeks of work.

Cherry-pick merges can help you when you're disentangling the mess, along with some strategic branch renaming. You'll want a history browser (possibly even a GUI one) when doing this.

The thing that grinds my gears about git is that it sometimes manages to completely lose track of a branch. OK, it happened to me once but that's once more than I consider reasonable. When git shits itself, it fucks things up awfully. Other DVCSes are much better at avoiding these worse cases because they don't necessarily make the mistake of thinking that all filesystem operations file nicely all the time.

@blakeyrat said:

I can't tell you what a "Pull Request" is

A fancy-ass way of saying “patch”.

• @dkf said:

The thing that grinds my gears about git is that it sometimes manages to completely lose track of a branch. OK, it happened to me once but that's once more than I consider reasonable. When git shits itself, it fucks things up awfully. Other DVCSes are much better at avoiding these worse cases because they don't necessarily make the mistake of thinking that all filesystem operations file nicely all the time.

DETACHED HEAD!

For about a year that was the bane of my existence.

@dkf said:

A fancy-ass way of saying “patch”.

I hate to break this to you, but "patch" is also impenetrable jargon.

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

I hate to break this to you, but "patch" is also impenetrable jargon.

"Changes shit in the source code so it will work. We hope."

But that's a bit too long to type every time, IMHO.

• @dkf said:

Cherry-pick merges can help you when you're disentangling the mess, along with some strategic branch renaming. You'll want a history browser (possibly even a GUI one) when doing this.

Oh I tried a bunch of them, believe me. None of them helped me.

• @Captain said:

I've done a mile in about 8 seconds.

Sometimes a jetliner is more practical than a car. Not always, though.

As pilot? Hmmm.

• This one actually is his:

"If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough." - Einstein

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

DETACHED HEAD!

I remember learning about those when that happened. And then I forgot, and fought with it during my recent conversion effort when I was converting some svn-centric devops stuff to work with git. Now I've re-learned it, and it's a new reason why I'll pick mercurial in the future over git when I have a choice.

• DETACHED HEAD!

Agreed. And if you ask for help, all you hear is "You're doing it wrong."

So I learned enough Git to fix the problem and went back to Darcs, where it never happens.

• ♿ (Parody)

Yeah, and in fact I have intentionally used the equivalent of detached heads in mercurial a lot. It's no big deal there, and can be quite useful. You just have another anonymous branch that you either close or merge.

Reading about it this last go around, it strikes me as an implementation detail that could (and should) be fixed to be more like other systems.

@boomzilla said:

Yeah, and in fact I have intentionally used the equivalent of detached heads in mercurial a lot. It's no big deal there, and can be quite useful. You just have another anonymous branch that you either close or merge.

The problem is that git insists on giving a name to just one thing at a time. The underlying tree-of-commits model doesn't really care, but the shitty front-end scripts do.

I use git inside eclipse for the most part (because lightweight clients are for pussies!) and that handles most things well, even where you've got wild-ass anonymous branches. The things it doesn't like are having multiple upstreams or having upstream branches with different names to your local branches. Because having a non-trivial workflow or wanting to use your own (weird to everyone else) naming scheme is Not Done. Grrrrr.

@boomzilla said:

I'll pick mercurial in the future over git when I have a choice.

Wise. I'd pick something else for my own projects, but I don't worry about persuading anyone else about the rightness of my decisions there.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said:

I'd pick something else for my own projects, but I don't worry about persuading anyone else about the rightness of my decisions there.

What would you pick? Why? Honest questions...

I'd pick fossil, because I know the main developer of it personally. It's also very robust, as it stores its history in an SQLite DB (and that's heavily tested).

• I just can't hate on productive people. Its a barrier to reality.

• BINNED

@cartman82 said:

The 21-year-old, from Zlin, Czech Republic, had spent four hours smoking 'skunk' before clambering on to the cables in the belief she was crossing a bridge.

Must have been really good 💩.

I'll have what she's having.

• 🚽 Regular

@ben_lubar said:

rebase which re-applies your changes onto a different "base" commit

git help rebase has a decent visual explanation:

Assume the following history exists and the current branch is "topic":
                         A---B---C topic
                        /
                   D---E---F---G master

From this point, the result of either of the following commands:

git rebase master
               git rebase master topic

would be:

A'--B'--C' topic
                                /
                   D---E---F---G master

• 🚽 Regular

@Arantor said:

Git seems to require drastic measures like rebasing

Git doesn't force rebase on you in any way. In fact there are people actively against its use.

It just lets you simplify history, making it look more linear, if you want to.

@ender said:

As far as I understand it, rebase fetches a remote branch, then puts your local changes over it
    Nope. Both branches are local. One or both of them can be local mirrors of remote branches, of course.

And btw, the commits aren't rewritten. New commits are created, but the old ones are still there if you look for them.

Disclaimer: not a git expert, my views can be wrong.

• @Zecc said:

git help rebase has a decent visual explanation

Hmm, I see.

If I wanted something like this, I would just do:

git checkout topic
    git merge master

This would bring me up to speed with changes on master, while keeping the new stuff on topic.

What's the difference?

• 🚽 Regular

@cartman82 said:

What's the difference?

History.

With a merge you'd have a single new commit in master (the merge) and history would show two parallel branches that merged.

/--A---B---C\
        D---E---F---G-----H---

With rebase you'd have those three commits on top of master, and it would look like a single branch once you dropped the topic branch and its original commits:

D---E---F---G---A'---B'---C'

Both commands have their uses. With merge you keep real history, with rebase history looks less like spaghetti. Also, with rebase the commit messages of your topic branch get transferred to the master branch, which may or may not be something you want.

• @darkmatter said:

Mind-boggling that he seriously thinks that only a human could ever spam his JS via the UI?

From the looks of it they don't have automated tests over at Discourse (apart from unit tests). One reason might be that over there indeed no one has heard of watir/watin.

• @blakeyrat said:

I can't tell you what a "Pull Request" is, since nobody's explained that to me and the GitHub website is about as clear as mud on the subject.

A concise explanation can be found in GitHub help.

• @anonymous234 said:

Quoting Jeff:

(psst.. but they don't, because spammers are idiots. The ones that aren't are rarer than hen's teeth.)

And that from the man that claimed Discourse instances with 10k posts in a topic a rarer than unicorns. Hen's teeths must be quite common then...

• If you thought hen's teeth were the rarest thing in nature, think again: researchers from Britain and the US have succeeded in growing teeth in a chicken.
    the team has been able to stimulate "natural" tooth growth in chickens.

@faoileag said:

And that from the man that claimed Discourse instances with 10k posts in a topic a rarer than unicorns. Hen's teeths must be quite common then...

@delfinom said:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2006/feb/23/research.highereducation

Did they have anything to say on the mater of rocking-horse shit?

• I always find it amazing how many people read, "I don't know how X works", as "would someone explain how X works?"

For the record, I do not give one shit how pull requests work. If I ever need to know, I'll look it up. But I won't. So I won't.

• That's because not everyone is a miserable sod who cares not for being enlightened by the wisdom of their peers and betters.

Which is ironic, really, considering everything.

• @PJH said:

rocking-horse shit

• @blakeyrat said:

I always find it amazing how many people read, "I don't know how X works", as "would someone explain how X works?"

For the record, I do not give one shit how pull requests work. If I ever need to know, I'll look it up. But I won't. So I won't.

For the record, I was explicitly referring to your "and the GitHub website is about as clear as mud on [pull requests]".

Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

• Wisdom is avoiding all open source bullshit on Github until it's no longer possible. Wasting my precious neurons and time on learning all about it is stupidity.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

I always find it amazing how many people read, "I don't know how X works", as "would someone explain how X works?"

Yes, this is because you are a special sort of asshole who just wants people to agree with you and to praise you for you excellent insights and aren't very interested in learning about or from other people.

@blakeyrat said:

Wisdom is avoiding all open source bullshit on Github until it's no longer possible. Wasting my precious neurons and time on learning all about it is stupidity.

And yet you persist in reading and responding to it.

• @boomzilla said:

And yet you persist in reading and responding to it.

Yes; Boomzilla's telepathy has informed him that I clicked the link, read the entire article or FAQ or whatever it is (which I know because I clicked the link, right?) and then even responded to it! Because I guess it has a comments section too, but of course I know that, having clicked the link.

• ♿ (Parody)

@PJH said:

Did they have anything to say on the mater of rocking-horse shit?

How about carousel horse shit? Sadly, I can't find any images or video of this part of the movie. Or even people talking about it.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Yes; Boomzilla's telepathy has informed him that I clicked the link, read the entire article or FAQ or whatever it is (which I know because I clicked the link, right?) and then even responded to it! Because I guess it has a comments section too, but of course I know that, having clicked the link.

No, I'm talking about the people here. You keep reading the responses and wasting neurons responding to us. It's truly a wasteful tragedy of your abilities, which of course still don't include reading comprehension.

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

Someone, however, might. Like me, you know, looking for something online and then finding someone asked the same question as me, and getting a response. That means I don't have to ask the same question again.

Granted, TDWTF probably won't finish on the first page of results if someone searches for "how to do x". But it might. Or, someone else could ask here and I can just refer him to a post.

If you don't want to read it, fine, scroll past. But I also got corrected on my explanation and thus learned something new. And I don't consider that a waste of my neurons. I have plenty left.

• @blakeyrat said:

Wasting my precious neurons and time on learning

Does learning kill your neurons? If so, that would explain so much.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

It can be a delicate balancing act.

• I regret I have only one like to give this post.