Unix Haters' Club

• ♿ (Parody)

@Onyx said:

The only reason I can think of for removing tabs and split view is "we can't make it purty".

Did they do a full rewrite because reasons? It's way too easy to leave stuff out when you do that.

• BINNED

@boomzilla said:

Did they do a full rewrite because reasons? It's way too easy to leave stuff out when you do that.

Probably. It was ported to GTK3. Though there was a version of Nautilus written in GTK3 that had all the features.

Obligatory: Opeeeeeraaaaa!

• but it wasn't ported to PHP-GTK, so it's not entirely failtastic.

• BINNED

You keep bringing that up. You really have no regard for my remnants of sanity, do you?

• @Onyx said:

You keep bringing that up. You really have no regard for my remnants of sanity, do you?

Caring is a barrier to Discourse.

• BINNED

Sanity is also a barrier to Discourse.

• @antiquarian said:

Sanity is also a barrier to Discourse.

No, no, Discourse is a barrier to sanity.

• It's funny how Nemo looks good by copying its style from OSX.

• @anonymous234 said:

And evolution tends to result in highly optimized crappy design.

"No engineer would ever make a mistake like that"

#BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH AHs d klfjhdssjkdfCOUGHdeath

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Discourse is also a barrier to Discourse.

• BINNED

That's the GTK theme, not Nemo. This is mine:

But yeah, Apple knows their design.

• Nice. Is that elegant brit?

• BINNED

simpliX. But inspired by Elegant Brit, by the creators admission.

• I played around with these total conversion themes. They look nice, but there's always something wrong. Some rough edge or a little detail that will drive me mad if I leave it be. So in the end, I always go back to traditional.

• BINNED

I just use the GTK/Metacity. The rest is mix and match.

I like it mostly due to being space efficient. I hate it when the titlebar is huge and wastes space on 768 freaking pixels of vertical resolution!

Should I open the 16:9 screen haters' club?

• Nah, you can just hijack this one. It's tradition.

• The shoddy, buggy sound was one of the major dealbreakers for me not using *NIX. Just play my choons :D

• Oh, the other fucking thing about Unix™ (and, indeed, most every operating system out there, given that they're all based on C and a total lack of innovative thinking) that gets right on my cock?

"Everything is a file"

It's about time that particular piece of retardery was put to sleep. Everything is not a file. And even if we accept that particular conceit, the way the C library handles files is retarded, and that runs right through into what's exposed to the user. It's all about the mechanics of handling files, and not about what they mean. this is part of why computers are seen as being hard to use.

You have to store your files at this location in the filesystem, or bad things will happen.

You have to name them using this completely arbitrary set of rules, that we won't enforce, or bad things will happen

Why will bad things happen?

Ummmm - "reasons"

Microsoft's Excel has held back productivity software for the last 20+ years. Unix™ has done the same for operating systems, for closer to 40.

• @tufty said:

Everything is not a file.

What other possibilities are there? Everything is data, and every piece of data is grouped in "things" and these "things" need to be accessed in some systematic way. Now you have a file system with files.

Maybe my thinking isn't innovative enough. (quite likely!)

• That's just it, in the Unixish way of thinking, everything's a file. You want to send things to the kernel? /proc is your friend. You want to touch a device, virtually or otherwise? /dev.

Everything is homogenised through file access. I can see logic in this but at the same time I also don't.

• BINNED

@tufty said:

You have to store your files at this location in the filesystem, or bad things will happen.
    You have to name them using this completely arbitrary set of rules, that we won't enforce, or bad things will happen

So you're saying I'm free to re-arrange my System32 folder any way I want? Sweet!

@Arantor said:

That's just it, in the Unixish way of thinking, everything's a file. You want to send things to the kernel? /proc is your friend. You want to touch a device, virtually or otherwise? /dev.

It also makes things simpler by not requiring hundreds of APIs just to write to a device.

It's not all good, of course. Like anything, it has it's downsides. But I don't think it's a necessarily an awful idea.

• @Arantor said:

You want to send things to the kernel? You want to touch a device?

I don't know what these things mean.

• You've never queried a process running on a server to find out WTF is going on with it?

• I try to stay away from any sort of icky server management.

• BINNED

@Arantor said:

You've never queried a process running on a server to find out WTF is going on with it?

I prodded one with a stick today. It was humming, and blinking, and beeping, but whatever we did it refused to acknowledge us, so we had to take it out behind the barn.

Then it returned to life and now I still have to take care of it. Fucking thing.

• @Arantor‚ not Onyx (as Piscord somehow thought) said:

You want to send things to the kernel? /proc is your friend.

That's something that only exists in some Unixes (and some Unix-alikes), and isn't standardised at all.

Now, I wouldn't say "treat file-like stuff like files" is wrong. It's the everything bit that gets me. Procfs is, in fact, an extension of that everything so far beyond redonculous it almost proves my point by itself.

now I still have to take care of it. Fucking thing.

Processes are for life, not just for Christmas.

• Impressive, since it was me that said that, not Onyx. Discourse, barrier to proper quoting etc.

Yes, I'm aware it's not standardised but Unix in general never seemed especially standardised to me which is one of the other huge 800lb gorilla in the room problems with it.

But it is a perfect example of treating non-files as files.

• BINNED

@tufty said:

Processes are for life, not just for Christmas.

It was actually the whole server, not a process. But in my quest for a literally engaging piece I failed to say anything useful with it.

Hey! I figured this shit out! I'm out, fuck software, I'm going into fine writing!

• @Arantor said:

Impressive, since it was me that said that, not Onyx.

Fixx0red in my post

@Arantor said:

Yes, I'm aware it's not standardised but Unix in general never seemed especially standardised to me which is one of the other huge 800lb gorilla in the room problems with it.

Oh yes. sysadminning cross-system is a fucking nightmare, even when by "cross system" we're talking machines running different versions of the same system. Even when it's similar, it's not the same, and none of it really makes sense.
    @Arantor said:
    But it is a perfect example of treating non-files a bit like files, through a filesystem interface, in a largely inconsistent manner.

FTFY

• @Arantor said:

Bingo. The flags are always different for each tool - and, hey while we're at it, let's name some of the tools for initials of the authors! (see awk).

$> printf(unix(TDWTF) )
    FNFWT

Filed under FileNotFoundWoodenTable

This is the banner newbies see before posting:

"Welcome to What the Daily WTF? — thanks for contributing!
    Does your reply improve the conversation in some way?
    Be kind to your fellow community members.
    Constructive criticism is welcome, but criticize ideas, not people."

Really? Here?

True for some values of "improve" and "constructive"...

• BINNED

@ijij said:

Welcome to What the Daily WTF? — may $DEITY have mercy on your soul!

@ijij said:

Does your reply have a potential to start a flame war?

@ijij said:

Don't be a pedantic dickweed. Unless you want a badge for it.

@ijij said:

Constructive criticism is welcome, but criticize ideas, not people.

Constructive criticism is welcome, but flaming people is preferred.

There, fixed it.

• BINNED

Nice, but you should probably also include something about rants and ragequitting.

• BINNED

This draft is released under WTFPL. Feel free to improve. Or not.

• BINNED

Welcome to the Daily WTF! You'll have trouble finding a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Thread derailing and pedantic dickweedery are expected. Religion and politics are not discussed in polite company, but this isn't polite company. There are no bonus points for rants or ragequitting, but both occur periodically. You don't have to be crazy to post here, but it sure helps!

• @ijij said:

Bingo. The flags are always different for each tool - and, hey while we're at it, let's name some of the tools for initials of the authors! (see awk).

$> printf(unix(TDWTF) )
    FNFWT

Filed under FileNotFoundWoodenTable

This is the banner newbies see before posting:

Constructive criticism is welcome, but criticize ideas, not people."

Really? Here?

True for some values of "improve" and "constructive"...

Blame Jeff and CDCK for the patronising bullshit in Discourse that even Jeff "Himself" does not follow.

• BINNED

+1, especially for the last line.

• A "file", like everything else in an OS, is a concept created by humans. It all boils down to APIs (the system calls you use to interact with them), and namespaces (whether you list them together or enforce a separation).

So I guess the question is: do things like devices and processes share enough traits with files that you can reuse system calls between them? Is it useful?

I guess it's like making two objects implement the same interface in java: you can just take your input and call open(), read() or write() on it, whether it's actually a file or not.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@ijij said:

"Welcome to What the Daily WTF? — there be dragons ahead!

FTFY

• @loopback0 said:

>ijij said:
    "Welcome to What the Daily WTF? — there be dragons ahead!

FTFY

Only one, and he's not been as much fun since he let @presidentsdaughter go.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@antiquarian said:

Welcome to the Daily WTF! You'll have trouble finding a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Thread derailing and pedantic dickweedery are expected. Religion and politics are not discussed in polite company, but this isn't polite company. There are no bonus points for rants or ragequitting, but both occur periodically. You don't have to be crazy to post here, but it sure helps!

Can we have this as part of the registration form?

• :belt_onion:

like++
    out of the real thing. etc. >>topic

• @anonymous234 said:

So I guess the question is: do things like devices and processes share enough traits with files

For this I would say no

@anonymous234 said:

two objects implement the same interface in java: you can just take your input and call open(), read() or write() on it, whether it's actually a file or not.

But this does make sense on the face of it.

• The signal from my TV capture card is a "file" in Linux/Unix. Explain to me how that makes ANY sense. How do you send it directions, like "switch to another channel?" Write to the file? Well that doesn't work, because it'll corrupt the image being concurrently read from the file. Write to another file with an different name you just have to magically know? How do you know what encoding/bitrate/etc the video stream is so you can actually display the damned thing? Yet more files? How about the audio stream, same file? Different file? How could this possibly work?

Oh wait, I know the answer: it doesn't.

• @Onyx said:

So you're saying I'm free to re-arrange my System32 folder any way I want? Sweet!

Obligatory mention of Classic Mac

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

The signal from my TV capture card is a "file" in Linux/Unix. Explain to me how that makes ANY sense. How do you send it directions, like "switch to another channel?" Write to the file? Well that doesn't work, because it'll corrupt the image being concurrently read from the file. Write to another file with an different name you just have to magically know? How do you know what encoding/bitrate/etc the video stream is so you can actually display the damned thing? Yet more files? How about the audio stream, same file? Different file? How could this possibly work?

Oh wait, I know the answer: it doesn't.

Filed under: What I do not understand cannot possibly be true.

• @antiquarian said:

Filed under: What I do not understand cannot possibly be true.

How dare you attack blakeyrat whom is always correct splutter indignantly

• And I instantly regret posting here, once again.

• Glad to be of service. Sadly I have no apropos Monty Python quote for you.

• Er, you have a directory of streams... you open streams. You close them.

The rest of your questions are answered similarly. You open the stream and read its header. And then you know the encoding and bit rate. Amazing!