The Official Status Thread

• SUDDENLY WINTER!

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

It can't be that bad Shirley?

I mean, I already have a mental model of how svn works - it's just figuring out what needs to change in that model and which commands are needed for git...

That said, http://pcottle.github.io/learnGitBranching/ isn't exactly filling me with confidence about this..

• I just spent about ten minutes trying to debug why a regular expression wasn't working as expected. Here's an anonymised version, see if you can spot the problem:

$matches = array();

if (!preg_match('/pattern/', $var, $matches));
        throw new Exception('Invalid blah.');

It's going to be one of those days.

• BINNED

There I was looking for something tricky...

Guess that's why it took you 10 minutes as well.

@Onyx said:

I didn't notice it until I'd copy-pasted it into my editor - missed it completely on here.

• @Onyx said:

Yeah, I assumed that the pattern was wrong or that I'd misunderstood the return value of preg_match. I thought I was going crazy.

• BINNED

@PJH said:

I didn't notice it until I'd copy-pasted it into my editor - missed it completely on here.

I don't see a big difference in Sublime tbh... Do you have an editor that warns you of such crap? Or was it that you just find it harder to read code here?

@Onyx said:

Or was it that you just find it harder to read code here?

On here:

The editor I happened to use on this occasion:

http://i.imgur.com/h1OTZ3k.png

It just stood out more.

• BINNED

@PJH said:

It just stood out more.

Ah, ok. I was hoping there's something that would throw a warning of some kind, because I'd consider switching editors if there were.

• Well, anything with an indenter would un-indent the throw, wouldn't it?
    I guess that would be some kind of warning.

• @Onyx said:

Ah, ok. I was hoping there's something that would throw a warning of some kind, because I'd consider switching editors if there were.

Simple rule to never get burned on this: always use {}. NO exceptions.

It hasn't failed me yet.

• @cartman82 said:

Simple rule to never get burned on this: always use {}. NO exceptions.

Agreed. I'll probably continue with my WTFy ways though... All those extra braces just look so noisy. :(

• Also, I wouldn't put it past me to do this:

{
    }

• Other option: Replace every if with ternaries.

Filed under: ↗ 🔄 ⏩

• FoxDev

git's quite a bit different from svn in how it works. i'm sot sure it's "better" or not but it is different.

Status: DAMNIT CUTLER! DAMN YOU TO AN EXTENDED STAY IN TARTARUS! :angry:

• @Keith said:

Also, I wouldn't put it past me to do this:

That's why you do it the Egyptian style.

if (!preg_match('/pattern/', $var, $matches)); {
    }

It's immediately obvious and less noisy (1 extra row instead of 2)

@accalia said:

git's quite a bit different from svn in how it works. i'm sot sure it's "better" or not but it is different.

Oh - I know that; it's just the abstraction that is my mental model that I'm more concerned about.

How it does what it does and the commands necessary will, of course, be different (well not all of them. blame seems to be be consistent for example.)

• @VinDuv said:

Status: Adding features to a CLI application which basically reads user input, formats the data, sends it to another process, read the response, and display it to the user.Instead of using blocking I/O, it uses a select-based event loop and a state machine.

Status: Finally got a chance to rewri^Wrefactor this program to use blocking I/O; I also made some substantial improvements to it.
    Net result: 12 files changed, 269 insertions(+), 1273 deletions(-)

• FoxDev

every second that passes the day gets another second shorter.

• Status: The coworker who sits on the other side of the office said that he wants this day to be over.

• FoxDev

.... how many people does it take for quorum to be reached and you can all just go home because? 60% right?

@PJH said:

Oh - I know that; it's just the abstraction that is my mental model that I'm more concerned about.

How it does what it does and the commands necessary will, of course, be different (well not all of them. blame seems to be be consistent for example.)

Git's fundamental objects are a tree of versioned states of a directory structure, with the identifiers for the states being determined by the contents: two clients can look at the same state and independently calculate the same ID. “Branches” name a particular branch of the tree. “Tags” name a particular state. When you pull from another git installation, you're copying the versioned states that they have but you don't; pushing is the reverse operation (it makes the committed changes you've got locally available to others, possibly the whole world). A commit is where you add the currently staged changes to the tree of versions.

The one irritating thing about direct git usage is that you have to git add everything before you git commit. I mostly prefer to use git via Eclipse's support plugin as that makes things a bit clearer to me. (YMMV.) On the other hand, that makes other parts of working with git harder; it really doesn't like that I prefer to keep local and remote branch names different, and it gets a bit confused by having multiple upstream git repositories.

Oh, and the full naming syntax for named branches and tags is rather confusing, and will probably get thrust upon you very early. I suspect that this is in part what is responsible for git's reputation for having a ferocious learning curve. (The introspection tools are powerful, but I keep having to resort to recipes glommed off of Stack Overflow there…)

• ♿ (Parody)

@Intercourse said:

Is that your cough medicine?

Korean sweet potato vodka. Though it's much lower proof than typical vodka. The bottle I have on my shelf is 48 proof.

• BINNED

@aliceif said:

Status: The coworker who sits on the other side of the office said that he wants this day to be over.

I share the sentiment. Just spent explaining the user, for the umpteenth time, that I can't force a fucking softphone not to show a call he didn't pick up from queue as not being missed. It's a fucking phone, it rang, you didn't pick up, it thinks it's missed!

• Grade A Premium Asshole

Trust me, I know what it is. That's why I asked if it were being used for cough medicine. ;-)

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said:

The one irritating thing about direct git usage is that you have to git add everything before you git commit.

Are there systems that don't do this?

@dkf said:

I mostly prefer to use git via Eclipse's support plugin as that makes things a bit clearer to me.

Maybe you're just used to stuff that does this for you and not realizing that they all make you do this? NB: I only have significant experience with svn and hg.

@boomzilla said:

Well, if git command foobar.c would commit the current version on disk to the local repo, that would be OK. Instead, I think (from reading the documentation) that it commits the currently staged version of that file and then adds the current version to the staged files. Or something like that.

It's got an extra step than virtually everything else has.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said:

It's got an extra step than virtually everything else has.

More than: svn add foobar.c && svn commit foobar.c ?

• @boomzilla said:

More than: svn add foobar.c && svn commit foobar.c ?

I think @dkf is referring to a file which already is in the repository.
    With svn, if it’s modified, you can do svn commit and it will be included in the commit. Same with Mercurial. But with Git, you need to do git add thefile before git commit (or do git commit thefile to only commit this file)

• ♿ (Parody)

@VinDuv said:

But with Git, you need to do git add thefile before git commit (or do git commit thefile to only commit this file

Wow...did not realize that. I can see why you might want this, but also why it's annoying.

@Keith said:

Also, I wouldn't put it past me to do this:

{
    }

Sometimes when I'm feeling paranoid, I'll write that kind of thing like this:

if () {}

and then go back and fill in the rest of it. It's a bit harder to stuff an extra ; in there that way, but admittedly, this is kind of like doing if (4 == x) in C.

• @boomzilla said:

Wow...did not realize that. I can see why you might want this, but also why it's annoying.

It's pretty easy to type

git add .
    git commit

and that generally covers my needs. I only need to get more specific when I want to split my work into several commits.

Status: just got off the phone with a customer who's moving our software to a new system. Somehow they have screwed up the NTFS perms to the point she can create new subfolders in the application directory, but not new files. I spent half an hour trying to get them to see this so they could just go into the application's parent directory, right-click on the directory, and give her Full Control, but she kept insisting she was a Domain Admin and that group had full control already. Well, something is still wrong, because "permission denied" is pretty explicit, but they eventually said they'd figure it out and call me back.

They're smart people, they'll eventually finish going down all the wrong roads and figure it out.

Chaser: cow-orker: "if you update my local copy of [our web app] will that erase my database?" No. Now stop telling me you only have 15 minutes before starting training your customer, so I can take the 45 seconds necessary to do the update so you can have access to the feature you want to demo.

• @PJH said:

I mean, I already have a mental model of how svn works - it's just figuring out what needs to change in that model and which commands are needed for git...

I think it's harder to go to Git from SVN than it is to go in knowing nothing at all.

For one thing, if you knew nothing at all, you might think/assume all of Git's pointless complexity and hostility was somehow necessary to the process. (For the record, it's not; it's just needlessly complex and needlessly hostile.)

• @aliceif said:

Well, anything with an indenter would un-indent the throw, wouldn't it?

Control-K, Control-D solves this problem instantly.

Of course, you need to not be one of those idiots who thinks Vim is a perfectly good IDE. I have very little sympathy for people who pick shitty tools, then have a lot of time wasted by the shitty tools.

• Soju!?

• @boomzilla said:

TFS doesn't, if you're using it in an IDE. The IDE knows which files belong to the project, and TFS uses that to know when to add new files. (Edit: of course Microsoft's Git add-in will do this as well. I guess it's more a "source control that comes from a company that knows what the fuck it's doing" thing than a "TFS vs. Git" thing.)

Pretty much everything else does, though. Including TFS when used outside of an IDE.

Eclipse will work out what files you're likely to want to commit and select them by default too. (Except in some complex cases, but whatever.) You can, of course, override the decision.

It's the same for Git and SVN and CVS and … as it's part of the baseline SCM support code.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Soju!?

Yes‽

Not sure what your question is. The bottle I have is "Gyung Woul Green." I got it at the duty free shop at Incheon Airport in Seoul. It says, "Made with sweet potato neutral spirits and natural flavor. ALC 24% BY VOL."

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said:

Eclipse will work out what files you're likely to want to commit and select them by default too. (Except in some complex cases, but whatever.) You can, of course, override the decision.

I use Eclipse with svn all the time, and I'm familiar with that. I have the "ADD ALL THE THINGS" option turned off.

But I also do stuff on the CLI to examine the state of my working copy, because it's more effective and efficient for me to do so.

• @anonymous234 said:

SUDDENLY WINTER!

Yeah, it's brutal.

• Improving DiscoNews, the NNTP gateway to Discourse!

• Status: Going to pick up CoD: Advanced Warfighter, because I am a consumer whore. (And also I have two friends who have promised to play it with me if I get it.)

And on my way back home I'm going to eat fast food because fuck my digestive system. (Not literally.)

• Status: I've spent a large amount of my day dealing with "oh hey this project needs to be in production by Monday, we should find someone to actually start it".

• Their justification is that people complained about bugs when they released their updates frequently.

You can turn on Starbound's unstable versions if you want to see the stuff they're really doing, since they really do update frequently. I've given up, though. Waiting for a proper release. Almost everything in the version you've played will no longer work that way in the completed version.

• @Magus said:

Their justification is that people complained about bugs when they released their updates frequently.

Well duh, but that hardly excuses nothing since April. They could still do monthly or even bi-monthly releases.

• Status: Instantly regretting buying Advanced Warfare because the damned fucking thing doesn't work.

Here's a server status page:

IT'S A LIE. I've tried to connect a million times and all I get is:

The Call of Duty Advanced Warfare service is not available at this time

• Well, the problem is, they're working on small pieces at a time. But the end result is going to be very substantial.

Things that are changing:

1. Progression
    2. Pretty much all the items
    3. Combat
    4. Ships

It sounds like all this is meant to fit together well, and they have the unstable build (just select it in steam) for testing it all anyway. But assuming it feels as weird as I expect it to all separately, I can see why they wouldn't apply that to the main build.