The Official Status Thread

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@dcon said in The Official Status Thread:

engine restarts when you take your foot off the gas

:sideways_owl: … off the brake surely?

• BINNED

@PleegWat said in The Official Status Thread:

Note I am European and thus drive a manual transmission. If you're driving automatic, some of the above may work differently (and the same if you have a different brand).

I have Stop Start on mine (and it's predecessor) which is an auto. Engine stops when the car is very nearly stopped (or stopped), and restarts when you press the accelerator pedal.

It also has the ability to stop the engine while coasting at higher speeds, but I've not had this car long enough to trigger that yet.

• Java Dev

@loopback0 said in The Official Status Thread:

Note I am European and thus drive a manual transmission. If you're driving automatic, some of the above may work differently (and the same if you have a different brand).

I have Stop Start on mine (and it's predecessor) which is an auto. Engine stops when the car is very nearly stopped (or stopped), and restarts when you press the accelerator pedal.

It also has the ability to stop the engine while coasting at higher speeds, but I've not had this car long enough to trigger that yet.

Mine (a Kia) supposedly does it when it's put in neutral and 'other conditions' have been met. I've never been quite clear on the other conditions.

• BINNED

Unless I’m misunderstanding: why would it do that??
    You’re not using gas while coasting, it just stops gasoline injection without stopping the engine (and I think it’s been like that for 20+ years).

• @PleegWat said in The Official Status Thread:

and thus drive a manual transmission

Sigh. Subaru dropped that on the models (wagons) I drive.

@topspin said in The Official Status Thread:

You’re not using gas while coasting, it just stops gasoline injection without stopping the engine (and I think it’s been like that for 20+ years).

Coasting is out of gear, so the engine is using fuel to keep running rather than the vehicle's momentum.

• @dkf said in The Official Status Thread:

@dcon said in The Official Status Thread:

engine restarts when you take your foot off the gas

:sideways_owl: … off the brake surely?

Doh! (back to edit)

• BINNED

'other conditions'

Outside temperature (eg not freezing) and power drain (eg heater or ac running at full throttle) are the main ones generally

• BINNED

Coasting is out of gear, so the engine is using fuel to keep running rather than the vehicle's momentum.

Ah, I assumed you meant just going off the accelerator.
    Then again, why would you do that and why would your car go the extra mile to support that?

• Notification Spam Recipient

status applying for jobs and got to the stage where they want references. So I'm emailing and catching up with everyone. So many emails to be replied to that I was actually happy to see a bill come in that I didn't have to reply to.

why would your car go the extra mile to support that?

Ze Germans who made it have done science!

Apparently there are situations where coasting reduces consumption.

(also on my screen 'zooming in' on an image on that page actually makes it smaller)

• BINNED

Guess I’m required to believe that.

• Java Dev

I was taught to never do that while the car is in motion, but that may be a manual vs. automatic difference.

I'm also surprised as stopping the engine typically means various other functions (such as power steering) are also disabled.

Guess I’m required to believe that.

By German law? 🎺

• Banned

I have Stop Start on mine (and it's predecessor) which is an auto.

This sentence reads pretty funny in a language where "auto" means a car.

• Considered Harmful

@Gąska said in The Official Status Thread:

And it's so efficient it can get from Berlin to Warsaw in one tank 🏆

• BINNED

@Applied-Mediocrity said in The Official Status Thread:

9FA2A877-AED8-4344-9E79-2E603E71F664.jpeg

I was taught to never do that while the car is in motion, but that may be a manual vs. automatic difference.

I wasn't taught not to do it, but I wasn't taught to do it either.

The only real manual vs automatic difference is that on a manual the car can't coast by itself.

I'm also surprised as stopping the engine typically means various other functions (such as power steering) are also disabled.

At speed that's not such an issue, although there's no need for electric power steering to be disabled like hydraulic power steering would be.
    As I said, I've not triggered the engine shutting down at speed yet so don't know how it behaves.

• Status I have a fan.

Specifically, a box fan. Low-to-mid-end apartments here don't have central air. You don't need it 49 weeks out of the year, and the other three it cools down once the sun goes down. During the winter you use the per-room heaters built in, while for those three weeks all you really need is a fan to keep air moving. Especially with compute equipment.

Second status: running a full docker stack on my local dev machine makes it sound like a jet engine. For hours on end.

• @Benjamin-Hall said in The Official Status Thread:

running a full docker stack on my local dev machine makes it sound like a jet engine. For hours on end.

Blender does that to my personal machine. And sometimes Chrome. This is one of the reasons I no longer use Chrome as my primary browser.

• Status: LAMP is better than Node.js. For one simple reason. When a script changes in Apache, it automatically picks that up without having to restart the whole blasted container. And when dockerized, you don't have to rebuild the entire freaking container whenever an ancillary data file changes even when you have it set to automatically sync the local (changed) file with the container!

You know how much time I wasted wondering why the @#$@#$ it wasn't hitting my log statements[0] even though the files on disk were right? WAY TOO MUCH TIME!

[0] it's a headless relay server designed to interface with outside APIs, transforming data and forwarding it along via SOAP (in this case) calls. So the only way I have to monitor it is by inserting logging calls to see if the transformed data (which is what my changes were supposed to alter) is right.

• Banned

Status: Sometimes, YT comments are bad. Sometimes they're very very bad. Sometimes you wish you could unsee what you've just seen. And sometimes there's nothing really wrong with them, but you can't help but wonder whether they're paid trolls or what.

698506b6-288f-4329-a754-eca5e4c21707-image.png

• @Gąska Well the first two Medal of Honor games on Playstation (and one on the GameCube I think) actually did have a story when Call of Duty was just a Quake 2 deathmatch with WW2 skins.

Status: And now I find that Comcast is probably just blackholing e-mails from the store instead of actually rejecting them. I will be moving my account to my domain before the end of the month.

@Zenith said in The Official Status Thread:

I will be moving my account to my domain before the end of the month.

🤗 Best of luck. Switching sucks and I hope everything goes well...

• Banned

@Zenith said in The Official Status Thread:

@Gąska Well the first two Medal of Honor games on Playstation (and one on the GameCube I think) actually did have a story when Call of Duty was just a Quake 2 deathmatch with WW2 skins.

Have you actually played either of the first two CoD's? I haven't played original MoH but Allied Assault story is a paper cutout compared to either of them. And CoD4 has an actual movie-like 3-act story with proper pacing (setup, confrontation, resolution), plot twists, drama, and some of the best cutscene choreography of its time. There's even a Cold War flashback, goddammit! Compare it to MoH: Airborne released in the same year, which has basically no plot whatsoever - you're a soldier, this is your mission, bam, you're done. Or a later MoH with contemporary setting, where the story is a little more fleshed out, but only a little, and pacing is awful. Being very short doesn't help either. In the meantime, Activision released Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops 1, some of the highest rated games in the series that were also very story-heavy. Sure, it went to shit later on, but in the meantime, MoH has stopped entirely. Above and Beyond will be the first game in the series in 8 years.

That guy is wrong about the early titles, he's wrong about the middle titles, and he's wrong about the late titles. I wouldn't be able to write something more wrong if I tried.

Also, your cheap insult is factually incorrect. CoD is based on Quake 3. :pendant:

• 744d96a3-6f22-4612-b228-d76384687325-image.png

• Considered Harmful

(:@anonymous234:) @anonymous234 checked in at @Tsaukpaetra

744d96a3-6f22-4612-b228-d76384687325-image.png

🔧

• BINNED

🔧

zerosquare looks like it's time for another reboot.

• Java Dev

🔧

zerosquare looks like it's time for another reboot.

Don't worry, your files are just where you left them and you'll be able to resume work after watching this 20min slideshow of new features you're not going to use.

• Banned

Status: Made a PC build. Looks like I'll be spending $1500 this time around. Half of it will be GPU.

• @topspin said in The Official Status Thread:

9FA2A877-AED8-4344-9E79-2E603E71F664.jpeg

This is mildly amusing in Swedish, because dass (pronounced the same way) means privy. Which is still accurate!

• BINNED

Status: I just posted something on reddit that I thought was mildly cool and coincidentally had my user page open in the background. Half an hour later I got like 5-10 downvotes on two several weeks old posts.
    Huh, do people really go out of their way to find out what else you posted just to ⬇ 🚢 it? Sounds weird. :thonking:

do people really go out of their way

Yes. Absolutely.

• Status: Broke the leg stand on my wireless keyboard at work. Might be able to "fix" it with super glue, but I'm not torn up if I have to replace it.

But, I wish I could find a wireless keyboard and mouse combo (either package deal or separate items from the same manufacturer) that:

• Have an internal rechargeable battery
    • Full keyboard with number pad and "wide" enter key
    • Regular style keys (not chiclet or "Apple" style)
    • Preferably can be used while plugged in/charging

Closest I've found is a pair from Corsair, but...

The keyboard goes from "175 hours with backlight off" to "35 hours with backlight at dimmest", no ability to replace the battery once dead, and no clarification if it should be run down before charging or just charge it when you think to.

The mouse apparently has a broken firmware update that causes it to double-click when it shouldn't, and it looks like I'd be forced to use their charge cord to plug it in since it's in a groove between the mouse buttons and not on the front face.

Decided to ask in the Help Bites thread.

• Java Dev

@Tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

They're Free™!

• Considered Harmful

They're Free™!

Eh, not quite, I'm sure you know. 4 or 8 bytes for method pointer. Or more, if it's a managed thread object. Then, of course, the stack. Then eehhhmmm... yes.

• Java Dev

They're Free™!

Eh, not quite, I'm sure you know. 4 or 8 bytes for method pointer. Or more, if it's a managed thread object. Then, of course, the stack. Then eehhhmmm... yes.

Our PM and architect once conspired to partition tasks between threads such that thousands of threads were needed. I protested but lost. A colleague of mine implemented about half of it. then I had to finish it up. Then it didn't work in prod and I got to rip it all out again.

Our PM and architect once conspired to partition tasks between threads such that thousands of threads were needed. I protested but lost. A colleague of mine implemented about half of it. then I had to finish it up. Then it didn't work in prod and I got to rip it all out again.

It's possible to have thousands of threads in an application, but it requires thinking about the hardware of the deployment as well as the software, and normal application architectures aren't really up to the task. It is not for the faint of heart! (The trick is to not share memory. You'll never make large scale shared memory systems work right.)

• Java Dev

@dkf said in The Official Status Thread:

It's possible to have thousands of threads in an application, but it requires thinking about the hardware of the deployment as well as the software, and normal application architectures aren't really up to the task. It is not for the faint of heart! (The trick is to not share memory. You'll never make large scale shared memory systems work right.)

Well, in this case there was no good reason to have that many threads. The whole thing is a loop processing messages which take only a fraction of a second each. There's thousands of configuration contexts, and the PM got the brainfart that having dedicated threads for each configuration context would be a benefit. I don't know why he thought that. And regardless, neither the PM, nor the architect, nor the developer who initially implemented half of this are on this team anymore. It's my component now, and they get to spend their time doing newfangled cloudy stuff and changing frameworks every other year.

They're Free™!

Kind of. The initial setup isn't very free at least...

• @Gąska said in The Official Status Thread:

Also, your cheap insult is factually incorrect. CoD is based on Quake 3. :pendant:

It wasn't an insult, cheap or otherwise. I liked Quake 2. I still have the CD (somewhere).

But the fact is that my LAN group only played COD when we were tired of Counterstrike and Jedi Knight. Quake 3 was boring shit and the Team Fortress add-on for Half Life didn't do anything for us either. I would not be surprised if we booted up the ancient Duke3D as a very distant third.

To be fair, nobody in my group of friends ever gave MOH multiplayer a second look. The three single player editions I have are still great games though.

• @dkf said in The Official Status Thread:

It's possible to have thousands of threads in an application, but it requires thinking about the hardware of the deployment as well as the software, and normal application architectures aren't really up to the task.

In chip hardware simulations, there are conceptually millions of threads. I have no idea how actual threads are run on the CPU; that's all handled transparently by the runtime. And handling the millions of conceptual threads is handled by the language itself (and, of course, the runtime that implements it); as a programmer, you just have to define a "sensitivity list", and often, the sensitivity list is @(*) — any variable used in any RHS in the block. (Earlier versions of the language required you to specify each variable explicitly, and this was a very common source of errors.) That's also transparent to the programmer (mostly, except when you're debugging interactively — breakpoints, single-stepping, etc. — and you get to the end of a block). The language also handles the synchronization between the conceptual threads without any explicit programmer involvement; I won't bore y'all with that, but it's defined by the language itself.

• Banned

@Zenith oh, if you compare CoD multi to MoH single, it makes sense why you think CoD has no plot.

I honestly recommend playing original CoD and CoD2 campaigns. They're both very good games. I played CoD1 for the first time just a few months ago, and despite its age it's still a great game. Liked it way more than MoHAA (and MoHAA was my first WW2 game ever! So it's not nostalgia filter.) And if contemporary setting doesn't put you off, you should give CoD4 a spin too (either the original or the remaster - they're the same game, just with different graphics).

I hope MoH: Above and Beyond turns out decent. We need more triple-A VR games!

• Banned

Status: I just posted something on reddit that I thought was mildly cool and coincidentally had my user page open in the background. Half an hour later I got like 5-10 downvotes on two several weeks old posts.
    Huh, do people really go out of their way to find out what else you posted just to ⬇ 🚢 it? Sounds weird. :thonking:

Many years ago (2011 or so, so back when things were relatively "normal"), on one Polish website I went into some argument in comments that's best summarized as feelz vs. realz (I don't really remember what it was about). From that day, every comment I posted, literally every single one on the entire website, no matter what it said, no matter what time it was, was downvoted into auto-hiding within minutes. This continued for almost a year. It wouldn't surprise me today but it really shocked me back then that someone would setup a downvote bot and keep it running for so long just because of a single disagreement.

• Friday Status: hit my quota of logged hours for the week. Technically I'm still "at work", but brain is totally rice crispies in milk right now. Oh, and yet another "bug" that I can't reproduce locally. This one is more likely to be a client-side (network) issue than anything. Probably something in his proxy settings.

Additional Status: One more night until my stuff is here. Which is good, because the cheap air mattress I've been using gave up the ghost last night, so I spent the night directly on the floor (ok, I left the deflated mattress between me and the carpet).

Additional Status: A long weekend! Perfect timing, it will give me time to unpack and get my head on (more) straight.

• @Benjamin-Hall said in The Official Status Thread:

Technically I'm still "at work", but brain is totally rice crispies in milk right now.

I can so relate to this. I have a little over an hour to 8 hours for the day (and about 45.5 for the week). Brain has been "rice crispies in milk" for about 2 days.

• @HardwareGeek said in The Official Status Thread:

@Benjamin-Hall said in The Official Status Thread:

Technically I'm still "at work", but brain is totally rice crispies in milk right now.

I can so relate to this. I have a little over an hour to 8 hours for the day (and about 45.5 for the week). Brain has been "rice crispies in milk" for about 2 days.

I'm supposed to put in 75% of my listednominal hours (so 30/week or 6/day) on ticketed work. The reporting week goes from Tuesday -> Monday. So 4 days this week (Monday being off). And I'm at a little over 24 hours of ticketed work. Yeah, not pushing further lest I break even more things.

• @ChaosTheEternal Said screw it and went with Corsair:

• K57 Wireless Keyboard (same one I was already eyeing)
    • Dark Core RGB Pro Mouse (slightly pricier, not seeing pages of "double click" problems when searching about it)

I will say, though, ordering direct from Corsair was a bit painful. Normally, it's nice to see anything to hint that the thing I clicked is actually doing something, but I guess they think differently.

Also, their order flow says "Due to high order volumes, we are experiencing delays of 3-5 days before orders ship." but the email confirmation says "Due to high order volumes, your orders may be delayed 5-7 days."

Plus side, this is the first time the Honey browser extension actually saved me money.