The Official Status Thread

• Status: So utterly, totally, absolutely done with this. All of this, whatever it is. Done with meetings. Done with teaching kids who are checked out. Done with trying to give accommodations to kids who haven't done crap this whole year, even before this mess. Done with meetings (did I say that already)? Done with not knowing what's going to happen. Done with trying to care. Care tank exhausted. But still press forward I must, because it's not fair to those few kids who still are trying if I give up now.

These last few weeks before the end of school have always been rough for everyone--this year doubly or triply so. 8 more days of class. Thankfully tomorrow everyone is testing. And next week my chem kids are just working on a project--we're done with new material in that class.

• @Rhywden said in The Official Status Thread:

@Carnage Taking PSUs apart is only a passable idea if you really know what you're doing.

I don't have an electrician certificate so I'm not allowed to install wiring professionally, but I do have the basic electrical engineering edumacation required for civil engineers in Sweden. Which covers stuff like high voltage, field coils and various other basic stuff.
    And the hammering into the skulls of lazy students that any electrical circuit is dangerous until proven safe.

• @Carnage said in The Official Status Thread:

@Rhywden said in The Official Status Thread:

@Carnage Taking PSUs apart is only a passable idea if you really know what you're doing.

I don't have an electrician certificate so I'm not allowed to install wiring professionally, but I do have the basic electrical engineering edumacation required for civil engineers in Sweden. Which covers stuff like high voltage, field coils and various other basic stuff.
    And the hammering into the skulls of lazy students that any electrical circuit is dangerous until proven safe.

And from what I know, anything that takes mains current is never proven safe. Especially with big honking capacitors.

• @Benjamin-Hall said in The Official Status Thread:

@Carnage said in The Official Status Thread:

And from what I know, anything that takes mains current is never proven safe. Especially with big honking capacitors.

Yep, until you've unloaded the caps, it will tell you when you are doing the dumb.

@Benjamin-Hall said in The Official Status Thread:

Yep, until you've unloaded the caps, it will tell you when you are doing the dumb.

Usually by throwing you across the room, lighting stuff on fire, or killing you. Or all 3 at once.

Usually by throwing you across the room, lighting stuff on fire, or killing you. Or all 3 at once.

Usually, it's actually not deadly, just rather painful. And you do the throwing yourself when all your muscles in your body goes full strength all at the same time.
    If you manage to get the current spike across your heart, it's really unhealthy so try to not touch live circuits with one hand and ground with the other, or a foot.
    If both are in the same limb, it's painful as shit still, and you might need some skin fixed depending on exactly how much amps you end up absorbing, but it won't kill you.

Still, having it connected to the mains while working on it is extra dumb.

• BINNED

Those capacitors store serious amounts of charge squared per energy.

FTFY.?.

inb4

serious amounts of energy current squared seconds to the sixth power per mass squared length to the fourth power.

Usually, it's actually not deadly, just rather painful. And you do the throwing yourself when all your muscles in your body goes full strength all at the same time.
    If you manage to get the current spike across your heart, it's really unhealthy so try to not touch live circuits with one hand and ground with the other, or a foot.
    If both are in the same limb, it's painful as shit still, and you might need some skin fixed depending on exactly how much amps you end up absorbing, but it won't kill you.

I think the worst stuff I worked with was 550V and a fuse for 80A or something. you could pretty much smell the ozone on some components there.

I think the worst stuff I worked with was 550V and a fuse for 80A or something. you could pretty much smell the ozone on some components there.

I remember one of my professors talking about one particular experiment (something something plasma?) that had to have several connected interlocks so that when you shut it down the current would actually shunt to ground instead of just arcing across the switch and keeping on going merrily. IIRC, it was hundreds? thousands? of amps at several kV. Or some absurd thing like that. Big old inductive coils not worrying about anything like switches. Or people in the way.

I remember one of my professors talking about one particular experiment (something something plasma?) that had to have several connected interlocks so that when you shut it down the current would actually shunt to ground instead of just arcing across the switch and keeping on going merrily. IIRC, it was hundreds? thousands? of amps at several kV. Or some absurd thing like that. Big old inductive coils not worrying about anything like switches. Or people in the way.

I like the switches on the actual grid.
    Jacob's Ladder: 500kV Switch Opening – 00:10
    — Scott Robbin

• Considered Harmful

error_bot status: probably unstable (more so than usual)

Filed under: Mostly anal-retentive things like using let instead of const

• Considered Harmful

My quarantine beard finally looks like a deliberate choice and not just like I was too :kneeling_warthog: to shave (which I was).

• Considered Harmful

@error said in The Official Status Thread:

New team keeps giving me assignments with extremely vague requirements (e.g. "Implement rich text functionality in foo component.")

Then coming back with bugs like "this shouldn't allow linebreaks" and "user should not be able to enter more than 200 characters." These requirements are not specified anywhere, to my knowledge.

I'm guessing (hoping) the original components had some formally specified requirements, but I've never seen them. Shit keeps getting kicked back to me during testing with requirements I never knew were in-scope.

It doesn't help that I don't get to actually communicate with the ticket submitter; and, I think the person entering the tickets is usually not the person making the request. It's a game of requirements telephone.

OK. Today (a full month after joining this team) someone shows me that we have a whole other intranet website for functional requirements (and yet another for UI/UX guidelines).

You'd think someone would have mentioned it by now.

By the way, the sites (ticketing, requirements, ux) are completely separate platforms, with completely different content structure, but all reference the same components. There are no cross-references or links between them.

• status New version of xcode. sigh. Oh wait, look at that. It's downloading pretty much at my ISP connection speed. Truly a miracle. Now to see how many hours the install takes...

• Java Dev

My quarantine beard finally looks like a deliberate choice and not just like I was too :kneeling_warthog: to shave (which I was).

I've always been a lousy shaver. A couple years ago I decided to grow it out over vacation, and since then I trim it once every other week or so. Better results for less work.

it was completely covered in fluid.

That is not what is meant by a liquid cooling system.

Also, :pendant:, air is a fluid, so being "completely covered in fluid" is working as designed.

• Considered Harmful

@PleegWat said in The Official Status Thread:

I've always been a lousy shaver. A couple years ago I decided to grow it out over vacation, and since then I trim it once every other week or so. Better results for less work.

e3b2df5e-d39c-4ad7-9ccd-64bd28be495d-image.png

• Considered Harmful

Ugh. I just looked at the commit log:

d6bc1b5d-d67c-44d8-9694-e0c074723429-image.png

• @error Very detailed logging. What more could you want?

• @dcon said in The Official Status Thread:

status New version of xcode. sigh. Oh wait, look at that. It's downloading pretty much at my ISP connection speed. Truly a miracle. Now to see how many hours the install takes...

1.5hrs later, looks like it's about 50%. But who knows. Apple doesn't bother reporting progress. So you have to guess by how much the circle-o-progress has moved.

• Notification Spam Recipient

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Ugh. I just looked at the commit log:

d6bc1b5d-d67c-44d8-9694-e0c074723429-image.png

I'm no longer as ashamed by my commit log messages.

The main issue (and it's the same one you have with car batteries) is that the internal resistance of a capacitor is very low. If it's got a lot of charge in it, it can dump all that electrical energy into you in double-quick time!

• Status: Not entirely done sorting through the inbox and April averaged 12 political "messages" per day, not counting what was caught in the spam filter. A typical month only sees about a third of that rate. But, thanks to voting Ron Paul once a decade ago, ~100 professional grifters and their minions are hitting me up for cash on an almost hourly basis...

@Zenith said in The Official Status Thread:

But, thanks to voting Ron Paul once a decade ago, ~100 professional grifters and their minions are hitting me up for cash on an almost hourly basis...

But why did you tell anyone how you voted?

• @dkf said in The Official Status Thread:

The main issue (and it's the same one you have with car batteries) is that the internal resistance of a capacitor is very low. If it's got a lot of charge in it, it can dump all that electrical energy into you in double-quick time!

Yup. And they can store that energy for quite a while after the thing is turned off and unplugged. I heard many horror stories growing up about CRTs doing this--that you should never try to fix one yourself unless you had the right equipment and know-how, because those capacitors could easily kill you. Even ones you found in the trash that hadn't been working for years. Exaggerated? Maybe. Dangerous? Yes.

• @dkf said in The Official Status Thread:

But, thanks to voting Ron Paul once a decade ago, ~100 professional grifters and their minions are hitting me up for cash on an almost hourly basis...

But why did you tell anyone how you voted?

Well, I thought that would be funnier because it's like saying you voted for the Philly Phanatic. I mean, I did that too, but only for local offices. It would just be weird for it to interrupt a ballgame to report on North Korean nukes or something.

Actually, voter registration data is frequently sold by the department of state itself, so that's likely how it ended up all over the place. That and the RNC's needful doers playing fast and loose with data integrity. Usually I delete it every couple of days but the volume has been ridiculous the last couple of months.

• @Zenith said in The Official Status Thread:

RNC's needful doers

Ugh. I'm not getting political email spam (INB4: I just jinxed myself), but the NRCC somehow got my cell phone number and has been text spamming me incessantly. Maybe not incessantly; my phone says there are only 44 texts in the (entirely one-sided) conversation, but it seems like more than that.

voter registration data is frequently sold by the department of state itself

The idea that any government department might have what amounts to some sort of political party membership data feels downright weird to me, as someone from the UK. I regard that sort of thing as being utterly a matter that's got nothing to do with any government busybodies. (That they then misuse the data by selling it is more to be expected; you have the best politicians that money can buy, after all…)

• status :yummy-in-my-tummy: My favorite Thai restaurant re-opened on Mon (takeout only, of course). And the lunch line (at least today) was short - only 2 people in front of me!.

• @dkf In some states, your political party affiliation determines who you are able to vote for in primary elections, so the government needs to know your affiliation to give you the right ballot, candidate info, etc.

• Considered Harmful

I just got an invitation to hang out with Layla this weekend; but I kind of just want to :kneeling_warthog:

• BINNED

@dcon said in The Official Status Thread:

status New version of xcode. sigh. Oh wait, look at that. It's downloading pretty much at my ISP connection speed. Truly a miracle. Now to see how many hours the install takes...

1.5hrs later, looks like it's about 50%. But who knows. Apple doesn't bother reporting progress. So you have to guess by how much the circle-o-progress has moved.

For me it was installing at what looked like that progress circle filled to 95% for several hours at 100% CPU.
    How can copying over some stuff (or maybe applying some patches, plus optionally verifying signatures) take that much CPU? Shouldn’t this be IO bound?

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek said in The Official Status Thread:

RNC's needful doers

Ugh. I'm not getting political email spam (INB4: I just jinxed myself), but the NRCC somehow got my cell phone number and has been text spamming me incessantly. Maybe not incessantly; my phone says there are only 44 texts in the (entirely one-sided) conversation, but it seems like more than that.

6BBF3C91-857D-4E26-81F8-6C2A64D11B95.jpeg

• @topspin said in The Official Status Thread:

For me it was installing at what looked like that progress circle filled to 95% for several hours at 100% CPU.
    How can copying over some stuff (or maybe applying some patches, plus optionally verifying signatures) take that much CPU? Shouldn’t this be IO bound?

Finally. After 4.25 hrs, xcode finished installing.

edit: Oh right. And now that I start it up, it has to install it's additional required components. Because installing everything at once it obviously too complicated.

I just got an invitation to hang out with Layla this weekend; but I kind of just want to :kneeling_warthog:

You can hang out while kneeling like a warthog... 😉

• Considered Harmful

@Tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

You can hang out while kneeling like a warthog... 😉

Yeah, she'd be into that. Myself, not so much.

• Considered Harmful

I just learned the hard way that having watched a lot of Mario Maker speedruns does not make you good at the game. :facepalm:

• Status: Got a UPS, and so far it's exceeding my expectations

• Unlike every printer I've ever bought that uses that giant USB-B connector, it came with its own USB cable
    • The battery was pretty highly charged out of the box
    • The power plug is compact and well-desgined
    • Most surprisingly, Linux picked it up right away and shows the battery status
      4a690088-ad64-40b2-be69-991709df4a25-image.png

The only negative so far is that the outlets are laid out horizontally, and my modem and router both have big horizontal power bricks, so out of 7 outlets (5 battery backed, 2 not) I can only use 4

• Considered Harmful

I guess I have a date Sunday.

• Considered Harmful

Now how do I politely decline a footjob?

Edit:
    Screenshot_20200507-195340_Next SMS.jpg

@hungrier said in The Official Status Thread:

the outlets are laid out horizontally,

Yeah, I have a sack of these for that very reason...

• BINNED

Status: I've been using NoMachine to for graphical remote work lately. As this means I'm constantly switching keyboard layouts from Mac layout for my local applications to PC layout for remote, I sometimes get a bit confused. My typing has certainly suffered.

I must have mistyped something. Now QtCreator is in some fucking weird mode that shows a block cursor instead of the normal one, but it's not just overwrite mode as it does crazy fucking things when typing. What the hell? Did I unintentionally enable some VIM shit?

Restarted Qt Creator, it's still on. How do I get out of this completely borked state? Off to Google, and yes, it seems I have enabled "Fake VIM". Why is this even a thing? Disabled it, but there's no way to uninstall it so instead I removed the shortcut. Oh, the shortcut was "Alt+V Alt+V". Since I've been switching around between pasting with "Cmd+V" and "Ctrl+V" I must have landed on the wrong key and tried twice when the first hit didn't work.

• @Tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

Hmm. 4 @ $12 or 10 @ $18... 10 it is...

• Considered Harmful

Intel Driver & Support Assistant:

IDSA: There's a driver update available!
    error OK, update it.
    IDSA: Warning, this will overwrite your OEM driver.
    error ...OK, I guess that's fine. Install it anyway.
    IDSA: Install failed! This driver is not compatible with your system! Aborting.
    IDSA: There's a driver update available!

Filed under: This is only a WTF because it keeps nagging me to install the incompatible driver update.

• Banned

Filed under: This is only a WTF because it keeps nagging me to install the incompatible driver update.

It's a WTF that it notified you even once. It should know way before then that your system isn't incompatible. That is, unless the "not compatible" is just a cover-up and the real reason is something different, like lack of permissions or corrupted files preventing uninstall of old driver. Which means at least 2 WTFs: the cover-up, and the reason itself.

• Considered Harmful

@Gąska said in The Official Status Thread:

It's a WTF that it notified you even once. It should know way before then that your system isn't incompatible. That is, unless the "not compatible" is just a cover-up and the real reason is something different, like lack of permissions or corrupted files preventing uninstall of old driver. Which means at least 2 WTFs: the cover-up, and the reason itself.

It's probably blocked because it's a Microsoft Surface Book 2 laptop, which has some specialized hardware that allows it detach from the keyboard (which contains a discrete NVidia GPU) and switch to the onboard Intel GPU. In this case, the OEM is Microsoft, and they probably flagged it to block non-OEM drivers.

• @dcon said in The Official Status Thread:

@Tsaukpaetra said in The Official Status Thread:

Hmm. 4 @ $12 or 10 @ $18... 10 it is...

And of course, Canada gets f'd again:

46570bfd-8b21-4ca3-aa2f-a9ba2d323880-image.png

• Considered Harmful

@error Had it also happen to my work Dell (the usual cheap-ass laptop sort, without dGPU) some days ago. After all the Dell Driver Assistant regular fuck-ups (1 of 0 successful and such) it didn't seem worth mentioning...

• Banned

I'm watching someone play HoI4 as Luxembourg and conquer Germany. Top comment on YouTube:

Next challenge: invade the USA as Afghanistan and try to not get demonetized