How many of regulars here actually fit the "geek" stereotypes?

• @Onyx said:

I get a notification @dhromed replied to my post
    he actually just quoted @antiquarian

Oh, that's because I clicked a light Reply button and quoted from another post instead.

Whoopsie.

• BINNED

@dhromed said:

Oh, that's because I clicked a light Reply button and quoted from another post instead.

But... that should still... In reply to link...

"The Daily Discourse" ladies and gentlemen!

• @Onyx said:

But... that should still... In reply to link...

I clicked the reply button of one of your posts.

Check out who I replied to with this one. He's a really cool guy.

• BINNED

But there isn't one on the top of your post, linking back to it.

@dhromed said:

Check out who I replied to with this one. He's a really cool guy.

i can't unless it's in JSON. And I cba in that case, I have shit to do here.

• @Onyx said:

But there isn't one on the top of your post, linking back to it.

I don't understand what you mean.

I just clicked Reply on one of your posts. S'all there's to it.

• BINNED

Shouldn't there be a link to my post then, left of the timestamp time-ago-stamp? I'm fine with it missing if you also quote the post that you're replying to, but you replied to my post and then quoted someone else. It doesn't matter in this specific case, but how the fuck should I know what you're replying to?

• @Onyx said:

i can't

The fuck. All the in reply to buttonlinks have vanished for me.

But only on some posts and all of mine.

• @Onyx said:

Shouldn't there be a link to my post then, left of the timestamp time-ago-stamp?

There was! I clicked it! I used it to verify that that was what happened!

• BINNED

I think the quotes are fucking them up. Try replying without quoting. And you could split this to Meta > Bug now IMHO.

• My "Haskell is never cool." posts now has no In Reply To linkbutton, even though both posts for which it could be meant are way up there.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@dhromed said:

Don't worry. Haskell is never cool.

There is a possible future where Haskell is cool, but the lazy evaluation engine hasn't computed it yet.

• ♿ (Parody)

I have a lot of fat around my belly. My metabolism changed when I was about 18 (and had pretty much no fat at 190 pounds) and my lifestyle never caught up. I'm about 6'1".

I started growing a goatee about 16 years ago. About 4 years ago I started letting it grow long, and about 2 years ago I extended it to be a neckbeard, too. For about the last 7 years, my hair has been a crew cut, though it was never particularly greasy or long,.

Married, with 2 kids, live on the opposite coast from the rest of my family.

My main hobby is training and teaching martial arts, which I now do with my kids. I also volunteer with my son's Cub Scout Pack. I don't have time for video games, and sadly for many personal programming projects, either.

I can be either introverted (more common) or extroverted depending on my mood or whatever. I don't have a problem getting up and speaking or performing in front of a group of people, though I generally loathe small talk.

I'm slim (11st 8lbs, or 162lbs for the yanks among us), I have long hair and a goatee (as per my profile picture). I grew my goatee when I was 17 as it suits my face, but I've only had long hair for the past few years.

I'm not married yet, but have been in a relationship for 12 years with a girl I met at school.

I don't have or want a neckbeard as I find them too itchy, it's like wearing a woolly jumper all the time!

I'm a professional programmer, with 10 years of experience mostly using the .Net stack. I primarily develop in C#.

I don't do much techie stuff in my free time, I have enough of it at work. I'm quite social and have more than one friendship circle. My hobbies include karting, tabletop games, and playing in a rock band.

I don't have any issues talking in-front of people, but I sometimes find it hard work talking to people 1 on 1 for a prolonged amount of time.

• @Onyx said:

What in the actual fuck?

• I get a notification @dhromed replied to my post
    • he actually just quoted @antiquarian
    • there is no link in his post indicating that he replied to me, yet the notification the cursor is pointing at takes me to his post (see statusbar floaty thiggy for confirmation)

Link to actual image in case DC mangles it too much: http://i.imgur.com/YV15eMI.png

Filed under: Just found 2 bugs in Kazam. Yay, Fucking hell, it broke BOTH, had to manually force it into being a link

Made a bug topic for this.

• @Onyx said:

Living with family due to financial constraints.

You have to if you married your wife or had children with her.

• BINNED

@Nagesh said:

If I were married I'd say so. I guessed that "family" will get interpreted as parents/siblings.

I wouldn't say I have to if I had kids. Because the only way I'd move away from my kids, if I had any, is by force.

• @Nagesh said:

Personally, I wouldn't disagree with you, aside from the "have to" bit. I quite enjoy my wife and kids. However, lots of people leave the woman they have kids with. And their kids. So your argument holds no water.

• ♿ (Parody)

Some people are even apparently planning to leave their future wives, if the front page is any indication.

• @abarker said:

Personally, I wouldn't disagree with you, aside from the "have to" bit. I quite enjoy my wife and kids. However, lots of people leave the woman they have kids with. And their kids. So your argument holds no water.

My thinking is that he's saying he's staying with family. Now he is saying family is parents and siblings had to look that up So that is OK.

In life everything is one compromise or another. So have to is relative.

• BINNED

@Nagesh said:

So have to is relative.

Sure it is. In my case the alternative is sleeping on a park bench. So by necessities of biology dictating that freezing my ass off = death, I have to.

Nobody said I have to live either, But I'm rather fond of it and I'm planning to keep it up a few decades longer.

• That reminds me of a line from Kind Hearts and Coronets where the wife of one of the D'Ascoyne family is lamenting the local inn.

"I have spoken to him many times about the amount of drinking that goes on there but he continues to permit it!"

• BINNED

A black person that starts to look "orangeish", is getting sunburned and need quick attention as black skin switches from 1° to 2° sunburn very quickly once they've hit 1°. The slide from 2° to heatstroke and even 3° is even faster. Black skin takes longer to get to 1° than white skin, and the darker the skin the longer 1° takes to form. Just notes from black buddies in the military and the friends I have that are black.

• BINNED

Aaand, I suppose since I spoke up…

5'10" (177.8 cm) 197 lbs (89.4 kg), so am overweight. Grey crew/ceasar cut hair. Only smelly when I sweat. Clean shaven to scruffy (Saturday is shaving day) due to a propensity for ingrown hair. Live with husband. Introvert, not socially awkward, have no problems speaking to groups (was in barbershop quartet, forensics, have given "lightning talks" and other presentations) or individuals.

According to my last psych eval for a clearance (a looong while ago), NOT insecure (never have been), rather has a high opinion of his self and ability to accomplish, and has low tolerance for social niceties (I'm not crazy my "uncle" had me checked…). So now I'm in the age bracket (just south of 50) where "Get off my lawn" type thoughts are becoming common. Can't stand being in large crowds of people, I get socially aggressive when "crowded" (however put me in a small, tight enclosed space and I'm fine...). Probably have some Asperger's spectrum indicators.

Eye sight 20/500. Wear glasses or contacts, no contacts at work: our air quality turns them into shriveled chips in minuets even the ones that are supposed to be resistant to that :(.

Have a large (18 lb / 8.2 kg - 32 in / 81 cm) cat that thinks it's people (and seems to be smarter than most).

Food: prefer sour to salty to sweet. I'd rather pickles to snack on. Although veggies are fine. I don't do much sugar at all. Caffeine (lots) and nicotine are my chief vices. Not active enough now, used to be good at defendu/CQC, and rapier fencing (SCA).

Pimply: no, used to be a real mess but now it's just a minor nuisance.

• I'd say I'm not very geek stereotype...

Married with 2 small children. I haven't lived with my parents since leaving to do my 2nd year at uni, which was an industrial placement 250 miles away in London.

Short hair which starts as a no. 3 all over and gets redone when it gets unruly at the 4-6 week mark. No beard but only shave every 2 or 3 days so get a bit stubbly. No skin problems either now or in the past apart from the occasional pimple. I would say I'm average build (34" waist, medium t-shirt, UK 9 shoes) with a tendency to slight overweightness. Something like 176cm and 70kg which I'm happy with.

At work I dress according to the dress code which means long-sleeved button up shirt, smart trousers and smart shoes. The dress code is a bit sketchy but as I do have to do some customer-facing I wear what I feel comfortable meeting clients in. At home it's jeans or shorts plus t-shirt. Mostly shorts I live in sub-tropical Queensland.

I'm a bit shy with new people but only a bit. Fine in groups or talking to people generally.

Don't play videogames due to lack of time but will probably get into again as time permits. I prefer the more social games (Rockband, SingStar) to the solo ones although I spent many, many hours progressing my Dark Elf in Oblivion until a PS3 hard drive upgrade caused him to be no more. I loved that little elf.

Quite sporty and play golf, football, used to play cricket, I can throw a dart and pot a pool ball. I cycle a total of 25k a day to and from work which has contributed to the body shape contentedness.

Filed under: [Metric Imperial usage inconsistencies][1]

• On your last part. West Texas has accents. Everything from Dallas to San Antonio is a wash. East Texas starts to turn into that thick backwoods Creole speak from Alexandria to Baton Rouge rolling east into the Mississippi up to Akansas. But if you want that sweet sing-song non-presumptuous southern accent then head to old families in and around Savanah Georgia.

You are missing a dialect which is Wisconsin and Minnesota into the Daoktas

• My interactions with real life pretty much only happen at work.
    But at least I don't live in a basement.
    I just don't see much of a point in being around other people.
    And I'm horrible at talking in ways people understand irl.
    Talking would be a lot easier if you could backspace mid-sentence.

Otherwise, I'm pretty much just really tall (1.85-1.90 metres) and below-average in terms of attractiveness.
    In terms of hair, I look pretty much like my current avatar, but messier and a bit less brown and more black in terms of hair colour.
    I never had to wear glasses.

And I'm not a fan of pizza. At all. Same with coffee.
    I guess I am a WTF after all!

• @aliceif said:

And I'm not a fan of pizza. At all.

I am a fan of good pizza, for a definition of "good" that is sufficiently broad to include both thin, crisp crusts such as can be found in Italy and Chicago-style deep-dish pizza. The definition is not broad enough to include Domino's or Little Ceasar's.

@aliceif said:

Same with coffee.

Here, I am with you 100%. Living in the land that gave birth to Starbucks, I can't stand the stuff. I drink "Tea, Earl Grey, hot" by the liter.

• @HardwareGeek said:

I am a fan of good pizza, for a definition of "good" that is sufficiently broad to include both thin, crisp crusts such as can be found in Italy and Chicago-style deep-dish pizza. The definition is not broad enough to include Domino's or Little Ceaser's.

Pizza from the town that I used to live in :drooling:

@chubertdev said:

Pizza from the town that I used to live in :drooling:

That could be very good (depending on tastes; mine mostly tend to the load-up-with-chillies end, to be fair) but the best is from Naples. Even the rest of Italy agrees on that, and they virtually never agree on where is best for food.

The secret of perfection is not to screw around with lots of ingredients, to use a wood-fired pizza oven (important! because of next step) and to raise the pizza into the wood smoke towards the end of the cooking process. It looked easy when I saw them doing it; I bet it isn't easy, and I was watching serious experts.

Other places may produce good pizza, but nowhere will top that.

• @aliceif said:

But at least I don't live in a basement.

Hey, basements aren't that bad... are they?

Filed under: at least I pay my rent

• @dkf said:

but the best is from Naples

Sadly, I've never been to Napoli. My experience with real Italian pizza is limited to Roma. Across the street from where I work is an instance of a chain of pizza restaurants that comes as close as any I've found in the US to replicating that crust (with the usual US potpourri of toppings), but they don't

@dkf said:

raise the pizza into the wood smoke

• @darkmatter said:

I'm a jocknerd.... 6'3, 155lb (1.905m, 70kg), played 4 years of college baseball. Currently run ultramarathons as a hobby. Terrible vision, nearly blind without contacts. Partially deaf and have hearing aids but don't wear them. Married with 1 kid. Fairly extroverted when in crowds, despite not being able to hear half of what's going on. However, I prefer being alone (or alone with the wife) most of the time.

Uggh, I hate ultra people (I'm a sprinter myself). My wife did a 50K a couple of months ago, and she's doing a 30K soon. I told her that she's wasting her time, she'll get done quicker if she does 5Ks like I do.

Not being able to hear people is a barrier to hating them.

• :belt_onion:

@chubertdev said:

Not being able to hear people is a barrier to hating them.

This is probably true. People are a lot less annoying when you barely know what they're talking about.

As for ultra people, there's several kinds.. mainly broken down into Trail Ultra people vs Track/Road ultra people. I'm a track/road ultra person. I run for time, not for the thrill of just finishing/being in the woods. That said, my times aren't nearly as great as I wish they were, but still usually good for a top 25% and the occasional top 10% finish.
    With as many people as run 5k and half-marathons now, I usually finish top 10% in those just because there are so many weekend warriors out there.

• @darkmatter said:

This is probably true. People are a lot less annoying when you barely know what they're talking about.

As for ultra people, there's several kinds.. mainly broken down into Trail Ultra people vs Track/Road ultra people. I'm a track/road ultra person. I run for time, not for the thrill of just finishing/being in the woods. That said, my times aren't nearly as great as I wish they were, but still usually good for a top 25% and the occasional top 10% finish.With as many people as run 5k and half-marathons now, I usually finish top 10% in those just because there are so many weekend warriors out there.

I prefer off-road a lot more, but there's a huge gap. Off-road for most races is either a Mud Run/Spartan type of race, or it's a trail wide enough for a Jeep. I prefer single-track, tough terrain running.

I live in San Diego, so I'll just leave this here:

• They say Asperger's is like Pluto.

You can still have all the traits, but it's not a planet anymore.

Yeah...

So when I want to know who to kill when I see a misplaced tile in a pattern...

I've decided that I'm going to stop trying to pretend I'm not weird. It only makes me more weird.

Instead, I'm going to pretend that everyone else is weird and I'm normal, and see how far that gets me.

• What's that like???

Being swept out of your feet?

Must be disorientating?

• @HardwareGeek said:

My experience with real Italian pizza is limited to Roma.

My experience with Italy is that it's very hard to actually get a good pizza there. Not impossible, but you usually have to look for restaurants in the side streets.

• @ender said:

My experience with Italy is that it's very hard to actually get a good pizza there. Not impossible, but you usually have to look for restaurants in the side streets.

I was with people who lived in Roma, and we went somewhere they recommended. I remember it was within a few blocks of il Colloseo, but not much more than that. That was 14 years ago, so who knows if that restaurant even exists any more.

• Everyone else is weird. Only I'm not anyone's definition of normal so I too must be weird.

• @Arantor said:

Everyone else is weird. Only I'm not anyone's definition of normal so I too must be weird.

By my definition, everyone - including myself - is weird. Avoids any need to worry about normalcy.

• Yup. The trouble is everyone else has a similar level of weirdness which might almost be called a normalcy 😦

• @dkf said:

Naples

Naples is a shit hole

• Speaking of geeks, whatever happened to @Frank?

• You rang?

• Lol was at grandma's house in Wisconsin.

No Internet until last night. :)

@RTapeLoadingError said:

Naples is a shit hole

Yes, but they do superlative pizza.

• @HardwareGeek said:

I was with people who lived in Roma, and we went somewhere they recommended.

If they're locals, they will know where the good places are. But avoid places that are on main tourist paths - while some are good, you're just as likely to get a frozen pizza reheated in an electric oven.

• Dutch Domino's makes perfectly good pizza. Better than the drenched shithous New York Pizza. I'm a bready guy. I don't like thin crust.

You know in Ratatouille where the dark haired girl cook is telling the prot about REAL GOOD BREAD well that was a good scene for me.

• If weird means sufficiently different. Then yes we are.

• BINNED

@ender said:

But avoid places that are on main tourist paths

This is also true in Russia. If you're on the tourist paths, you not only won't get any better food, you'll pay double or more what the locals are paying down the street.