Microsoft

• (Actually, this thread should be called "XBox One", but that wouldn't line up so nicely with the Google thread.)

So, after Microsoft presented the XBox One, reception seems to be less than stellar. But aside from all the typical George Orwell style conspiracy theories (as a developer, it's interesting to know that a vast part of today's consumers are apparently physically incapable of turning devices off if they only have a standby switch), there is an interesting patent Microsoft apparently registered last year. What do you think about that?

In other news, I'm thrilled by one of the lesser-known killer features, according to (For up to two apps at the same time) I never thought I'd see the day!

• The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so
    that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action
    may be taken.
    So does the XBox One come with its own .357 IMI Desert Eagle?

• Why the fuck is version four called One?

• @Ben L. said:

Why the fuck is version four called One?

My guess is that they wanted to "start anew" with their Xbox brand, since Microsoft changes their strategy, corporate identity, and brand names every 6 months.

I'll quote (part of) an old post of mine

So now your MSN account Microsoft Passport .NET Passport Windows Live ID Microsoft account will let you log in to MSN Messenger Windows Live Messenger Skype to send instant messages, use Hotmail Outlook.com to receive mail, and get great software such as Microsoft AntiSpyware Windows Defender Windows Live OneCare Microsoft Security Essentials Windows Defender or Windows Live FolderShare Windows Live Sync Live Mesh Windows Live Mesh SkyDrive.

I'll be surprised if the Xbox brand survives 2 more console generations. Also that wasn't a mistake: Windows Defender got superseeded by MSE which was renamed again to Windows Defender.

• @PSWorx said:

So, after Microsoft presented the XBox One, reception seems to be less than stellar. But aside from all the typical George Orwell style conspiracy theories (as a developer, it's interesting to know that a vast part of today's consumers are apparently physically incapable of turning devices off if they only have a standby switch), there is an interesting patent Microsoft apparently registered last year. What do you think about that?

I think I'd sellotape a passport photo of my face just in front of the webcam 🙂

• @Ben L. said:

Probably for the same reason Windows internal and customer-facing version numbers don't match: they're trying to make the numbers more closely match the average potential buyer's IQ.

• @spamcourt said:

So now your MSN account Microsoft Passport .NET Passport Windows Live ID Microsoft account will let you log in to MSN Messenger Windows Live Messenger Skype to send instant messages, use Hotmail Outlook.com to receive mail, and get great software such as Microsoft AntiSpyware Windows Defender Windows Live OneCare Microsoft Security Essentials Windows Defender or Windows Live FolderShare Windows Live Sync Live Mesh Windows Live Mesh SkyDrive.

I wish they'd stuck with the "Windows OneCare" brand.  It sounds so appropriate when said in a hammy fake French accent 😉

• @Ben L. said:

They are trying to make the Xbox the center of the living room: game console, media center, skype, tv tuner. So that's the best concept marketing came up with (One Xbox to rule them all).

I have to say, with Xbox video, Netflix and Smartglass, it's getting there.

• @Ben L. said:

Wait... what was version 3?

• @blakeyrat said:

@Ben L. said:

Wait... what was version 3?

xbox

xbox 2

xbox 360

xbox One

Or was there no xbox existing around the time the ps1 came out?

• @Ben L. said:

xbox 2

What is a "Xbox 2"?

Or, to cut through the crap, why should anybody give a shit what you have to say about game consoles when you know NOTHING about them, you idiot?

• @Ben L. said:

If by "around", you mean "around the time it was superseded by the PS2, seven years later".

• @Salamander said:

@Ben L. said:

If by "around", you mean "around the time it was superseded by the PS2, seven years later".

OP is correct, it's release 4. MS'ses consoles were (in order of release by name they were released under):

1) Microsoft Colecovision

2) Microsoft Original XBox

3) Microsoft Red Ring 

4) Microsoft XBox One

• @Lorne Kates said:

I call BS.

• @ekolis said:

@Lorne Kates said:

I call BS.

Oops, you're right. That should be the Microsoft Intellivision.

• @Ben L. said:

retarded blathering about xbox 2
    <a href=http://lmgtfy.com/?q=xbox+wiki&l=1>lmgtfy

I'd think you were trolling, if only you haven't previously proved yourself to be an absolute braindead moron.

• @Ben L. said:

the playstation (ps1) competed with the nintendo64 (and sega saturn?) Sony took the technology that they developed with nintendo (for a cancelled snes CDROM addon,) and turned it into the playstation; nintendo essentially created their own competitor through their misdealings with sony. microsoft didn't jump on the console bandwagon with the xbox until the next generation which started with the dreamcast, followed by the ps2, (the gamecube was in there somewhere). The xbox 360 came out a year before the wii and ps3, which collectively make up the currently ending console generation. This new console generation nintendo was the company to release its new console a year early, (and presumably both xbone and ps4 get released this year).

• @esoterik said:

lmgtfy

Could not reproduce. Typing anything into the form field removes the I'm Feeling Lucky button.

• @esoterik said:

@Ben L. said:
    the playstation (ps1) competed with the nintendo64 (and sega saturn?) Sony took the technology that they developed with nintendo (for a cancelled snes CDROM addon,) and turned it into the playstation; nintendo essentially created their own competitor through their misdealings with sony. microsoft didn't jump on the console bandwagon with the xbox until the next generation which started with the dreamcast, followed by the ps2, (the gamecube was in there somewhere). The xbox 360 came out a year before the wii and ps3, which collectively make up the currently ending console generation. This new console generation nintendo was the company to release its new console a year early, (and presumably both xbone and ps4 get released this year).

I was always fond of the now defunct Game console company, ShoveitUp!. Their premiere product, designed to compete with the Sega Saturn, was the ShoveitUp! Uranus. Needless to say it did not work out well and what ended up happening was the governments of the world teamed up to create a super-science team to recreate the big-bang and thus start the universe over from scratch, this time sending into the next universe physical laws preventing ShoveItUp! From ever existing. Sadly, a side effect was that we have lolcats. The jury is still out as to which one is worse.

• I honestly don't know what new features gamers actually wanted with
    the new XBox. I can't think of any features even remotely related to
    gaming that would add value to playing games using the console. PS4 got
    rediculed for all hell with the "Share" feature, which I would think is
    useful/cool in a very situational sense (It gives us another sense
    whether we want to buy a game or not, since downloading the demo isn't
    instantanious), but barring that, any possible game-related features
    have already been done. I'm sure there may be more, but... Gamers just
    don't seem to know what they want.

What were they supposed to do,
    bring out a new console with updated hardware and no new features?
    Wouldn't that be commercial suicide?

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.