How To Demoralize Employees: A DIY Guide for Terrible Companies

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@CodeNinja said:

What, this isn't a common thing in the industry? We hear that around here all the time. Apparently highly-trained software engineers (ok, so I'm not really, I went to an 'accelerated' for profit school and got lucky) aren't doing a job that's any harder than the guys on the manufacturing floor, and we're grossly overpayed to just sit on our butts staring at computer monitors, snapping software legos together.

Snort. Isn't that Marx's Labor Theory of Value? While I CBA to look up the details, I don't think he ever considered that different kinds of labor might deserve different valuations.

• @chubertdev said:

They're all "walked in on parents getting it on in bedroom" looks now.

😃

• @KillaCoder said:

chubertdev said:

@KillaCoder said:

😃

eww.

• BINNED

@FrostCat said:

Snort. Isn't that Marx's Labor Theory of Value? While I CBA to look up the details, I don't think he ever considered that different kinds of labor might deserve different valuations.

There's a lot of things he never considered. The biggest is that adding labor to raw materials doesn't always increase its value. It decreases it if you're making something nobody wants. That should have been a sure sign that something's wrong with the theory.

• ♿ (Parody)

@antiquarian said:

That should have been a sure sign that something's wrong with the theory.

The theory wasn't about reality. It was about what he thought was good and correct.

• BINNED

@boomzilla said:

The theory wasn't about reality. It was about what he thought was good and correct.

So you're saying Marx was the original Social Justice WarriorTM?

• ♿ (Parody)

@antiquarian said:

So you're saying Marx was the original Social Justice Warrior<sup>TM</sup>?

I'm sure the bright minds around here could come up with someone earlier. Without searching too far back in history, we at least come to Robespierre.

• @antiquarian said:

There's a lot of things he never considered. The biggest is that adding labor to raw materials doesn't always increase its value. It decreases it if you're making something nobody wants. That should have been a sure sign that something's wrong with the theory.

Yeah; sometimes the opportunity costs of pairing X labor with Y raw material outweigh the profits that could be obtained that way. This can be a rather aggravating problem when the market being served is small, but essential (think drugs for rare, but crippling, conditions).

@boomzilla said:

1. Marx is most definitely rolling over in his grave about what his words have been used to justify.
    2. Communism is fine in theory, it's simply stunningly impractical (albeit less stunningly so for a group-oriented society like the Chinese). Unfortunately, folks like Lenin had no grasp of this, and thus left Karl Marx rolling over in his grave as a result.

• ♿ (Parody)

@tarunik said:

Communism is fine in theory

As long as the theory is about bees or ants.

• @KillaCoder said:

@chubertdev said:

😃

😭 or 😬 seems more appropriate.

The sob one actually isn't bad.

• FoxDev

there really needs to be a :flee: emoji

• I'm posting here just so I can click my name and get the shortcut to the full list of emoji.

• Is that before or after a giant wooden rabbit is thrown over the battlements?

• FoxDev

either. just so long as it's before it lands.

• Indeed.

RUN AWAY RUN AWAAAAAAAAAAY

• @chubertdev said:

:angry: 😧 😲 😊 ♋ <--turn this one sideways 👏 😰 😖 😕 😢 😥 😵 😨 😳 😦 👻 :goberserk: 😀 😁 😍 😯 😂 😘 😆 👨 🤘 😐 🙅 👌 😮 👱 :rage1: 🙋 😆 😱 😪 <-- Why is this sleepy? 😄 😃 😏 😭 😜 😛 😝 😫 😒 😩 😉 😟 😋

I don't get the correlation between the name and the image in about half of those.

I notice a lot of duplicates in the full list, and the emoji autocomplete breaks if you type in an underscore even if there are emoji with underscores.

• Fake News

What about :running: ?

• FoxDev

bravely sir robin ran away?

how does that song go again?

• @accalia said:

bravely sir robin ran away?

how does that song go again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZwuTo7zKM8

Bravely bold Sir Robin

Rode forth from Camelot.

He was not afraid to die,

Oh brave Sir Robin.

He was not at all afraid

To be killed in nasty ways.

Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin.He was not in the least bit scared

To be mashed into a pulp.

Or to have his eyes gouged out,

And his elbows broken.

To have his kneecaps split

And his body burned away,

And his limbs all hacked and mangled

Brave Sir Robin.His head smashed in

And his heart cut out

And his liver removed

And his bowels unplugged

And his nostrils raped

And his bottom burnt off

And his pen--"That's... that's enough music for now lads,

*** looks like there's dirty work afoot*** ???."Brave Sir Robin ran away.

("No!")

Bravely ran away away.

("I didn't!")

When danger reared it's ugly head,

He bravely turned his tail and fled.

("no!")

Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about

("I didn't!")

And gallantly he chickened out.Bravely taking ("I never did!") to his feet,

He beat a very brave retreat.

("all lies!")

Bravest of the braaaave, Sir Robin!

("I never!")

@mott555 said:

I notice a lot of duplicates in the full list

For my own amusement:

[pjh@sofa discourse]$ IFS=$'\t\n '; for md5sum in $(md5sum plugins/emoji/public/images/*.png | cut -d' ' -f1 | sort | uniq -c | grep -v " 1 " | cut -d' ' -f8); do md5sum plugins/emoji/public/images/*.png | grep $md5sum; done
    0bf1d3de309a89d9ed70ae91f6271a7f  plugins/emoji/public/images/shipit.png
    0bf1d3de309a89d9ed70ae91f6271a7f  plugins/emoji/public/images/squirrel.png
    183ff6aadf4ef4c21c18674732ac1d3f  plugins/emoji/public/images/shirt.png
    183ff6aadf4ef4c21c18674732ac1d3f  plugins/emoji/public/images/tshirt.png
    18ecbb414151f8a756e81033d6b54b0d  plugins/emoji/public/images/email.png
    18ecbb414151f8a756e81033d6b54b0d  plugins/emoji/public/images/envelope.png
    19b7a3da485e76d340e4ac78a04e728f  plugins/emoji/public/images/mans_shoe.png
    19b7a3da485e76d340e4ac78a04e728f  plugins/emoji/public/images/shoe.png
    1d7fe1e9f7c5ae141d8d16fd937c4ccd  plugins/emoji/public/images/-1.png
    1d7fe1e9f7c5ae141d8d16fd937c4ccd  plugins/emoji/public/images/thumbsdown.png
    226d893967ee7a1040d529ffb1dc5c91  plugins/emoji/public/images/railway_car.png
    226d893967ee7a1040d529ffb1dc5c91  plugins/emoji/public/images/train.png
    2645389fe1ca33e7eb73400518782482  plugins/emoji/public/images/runner.png
    2645389fe1ca33e7eb73400518782482  plugins/emoji/public/images/running.png
    3f4326568936bf15e000a8f5bb66759b  plugins/emoji/public/images/bee.png
    3f4326568936bf15e000a8f5bb66759b  plugins/emoji/public/images/honeybee.png
    44ecee82b3bb838749ad2895fc325d39  plugins/emoji/public/images/boom.png
    44ecee82b3bb838749ad2895fc325d39  plugins/emoji/public/images/collision.png
    4f46eb27685f2eea5485ef4ea7c0514f  plugins/emoji/public/images/hankey.png
    4f46eb27685f2eea5485ef4ea7c0514f  plugins/emoji/public/images/poop.png
    4f46eb27685f2eea5485ef4ea7c0514f  plugins/emoji/public/images/shit.png
    5dec97d08bd99f6b4f41cc41d8905c68  plugins/emoji/public/images/dolphin.png
    5dec97d08bd99f6b4f41cc41d8905c68  plugins/emoji/public/images/flipper.png
    6778159921601c10b542629af0c563f7  plugins/emoji/public/images/laughing.png
    6778159921601c10b542629af0c563f7  plugins/emoji/public/images/satisfied.png
    73e315a520490b798d196f67dbce10e3  plugins/emoji/public/images/boat.png
    73e315a520490b798d196f67dbce10e3  plugins/emoji/public/images/sailboat.png
    8b5481d1d59dd97edf3d373587a563e2  plugins/emoji/public/images/memo.png
    8b5481d1d59dd97edf3d373587a563e2  plugins/emoji/public/images/pencil.png
    9f795bc83af95505002141f435230eb5  plugins/emoji/public/images/car.png
    9f795bc83af95505002141f435230eb5  plugins/emoji/public/images/red_car.png
    a78e14f5f7b726d1b137a304261a9fc0  plugins/emoji/public/images/phone.png
    a78e14f5f7b726d1b137a304261a9fc0  plugins/emoji/public/images/telephone.png
    b13ee8fadd57581cd9fd0cd762a97fe0  plugins/emoji/public/images/hand.png
    b13ee8fadd57581cd9fd0cd762a97fe0  plugins/emoji/public/images/raised_hand.png
    c5b63b8a807b3be8d248d2d6e429410a  plugins/emoji/public/images/facepunch.png
    c5b63b8a807b3be8d248d2d6e429410a  plugins/emoji/public/images/punch.png
    cad88ff3631721475e565395e73efc7c  plugins/emoji/public/images/izakaya_lantern.png
    cad88ff3631721475e565395e73efc7c  plugins/emoji/public/images/lantern.png
    d0ada6dd4524f06579dba28660a38bd8  plugins/emoji/public/images/gb.png
    d0ada6dd4524f06579dba28660a38bd8  plugins/emoji/public/images/uk.png
    d0e74cf5ed0e8afd2e0f2e006e6d4efb  plugins/emoji/public/images/book.png
    d0e74cf5ed0e8afd2e0f2e006e6d4efb  plugins/emoji/public/images/open_book.png
    dffbb1f4afa4ad1bedea8053511328ce  plugins/emoji/public/images/exclamation.png
    dffbb1f4afa4ad1bedea8053511328ce  plugins/emoji/public/images/heavy_exclamation_mark.png
    e3587f5967214a02c1fb498ad9caf26a  plugins/emoji/public/images/feet.png
    e3587f5967214a02c1fb498ad9caf26a  plugins/emoji/public/images/paw_prints.png
    ed4803a797f18532f5d19c1cfcdf9d17  plugins/emoji/public/images/+1.png
    ed4803a797f18532f5d19c1cfcdf9d17  plugins/emoji/public/images/thumbsup.png
    fdaa85356c8596fd221cd5f27b71938c  plugins/emoji/public/images/moon.png
    fdaa85356c8596fd221cd5f27b71938c  plugins/emoji/public/images/waxing_gibbous_moon.png

[pjh@sofa discourse]$ IFS=$'\n\t'; for image in $(IFS=$'\t\n '; for md5sum in $(md5sum plugins/emoji/public/images/*.png | cut -d' ' -f1 | sort | uniq -c | grep -v " 1 " | cut -d' ' -f8); do md5sum plugins/emoji/public/images/*.png | grep $md5sum; done); do echo $image | cut -d'/' -f5 | sed -e "s/^\(.*\).png/:\1: - \1/g"; done

:shipit: - shipit
    :squirrel: - squirrel
    👕 - shirt
    :tshirt: - tshirt
    📧 - email
    ✉ - envelope
    👞 - mans_shoe
    :shoe: - shoe
    👎 - -1
    👎 - thumbsdown
    🚃 - railway_car
    🚆 - train
    🏃 - runner
    :running: - running
    🐝 - bee
    🐝 - honeybee
    💥 - boom
    💥 - collision
    💩 - hankey
    💩 - poop
    💩 - shit
    🐬 - dolphin
    :flipper: - flipper
    😆 - laughing
    😆 - satisfied
    :boat: - boat
    ⛵ - sailboat
    📝 - memo
    ✏ - pencil
    :car: - car
    🚗 - red_car
    :phone: - phone
    ☎ - telephone
    :hand: - hand
    ✋ - raised_hand
    :facepunch: - facepunch
    👊 - punch
    🏮 - izakaya_lantern
    :lantern: - lantern
    🇬🇧 - gb
    :uk: - uk
    📖 - book
    📖 - open_book
    ❗ - exclamation
    :heavy_exclamation_mark: - heavy_exclamation_mark
    🐾 - feet
    🐾 - paw_prints
    👍 - +1
    👍 - thumbsup
    :moon: - moon
    🌔 - waxing_gibbous_moon

• Thanks for putting that bullshit in this thread instead of elsewhere.

Had a looong meeting with a group discussing the design for a new feature, one which has a very tight timeline. It kept getting derailed because one particular "architect" (what the fuck does that title even mean?) kept bringing up all these hypothetical situations:

"What would happen if someone else wanted to access those database tables directly without going through our API? What about if in the future we need to support Foobar?" etc.

During the fourth or fifth of these, I just stopped her and said:

"Look. You're saying 'if'. Are we talking about a 90% chance this will happen in the next 6 months? Or are we talking about a 5% chance this will happen in the next 10 years? Help me understand 'if'."

(For once, that's more-or-less an exact quote.)

@blakeyrat said:

"Look. You're saying 'if'. Are we talking about a 90% chance this will happen in the next 6 months? Or are we talking about a 5% chance this will happen in the next 10 years? Help me understand 'if'."

Aww, you just ruined his day.

That reminds me of the guy at the place I work now who torpedoed using source control because it only does 90% of what we "need" (by which he meant the arcane features of the build process and the dev/test/qa/etc environment tree.)

• @blakeyrat said:

During the fourth or fifth of these, I just stopped her and said:

@FrostCat said:

100% chance of a sex change...

• @FrostCat said:

That was after an hour of bullshit discussing how we'll generate the WSDL for the service. I held my tongue from saying, "do you know how fucking EASY it is to build a WSDL? I could have actually done the fucking thing in a half hour."

@blakeyrat said:

That was after an hour of bullshit discussing [the specifics don't matter]

Oh, we've all had that conversation. In fact, my example was probably more less the same conversation.

• ♿ (Parody)

People haven't been demoralized yet, but I just got ordered to do something likely to cause it in the next few months.

Certain organizations have people scheduled to do stuff. The time / place for the requirements are generated by the software after getting oodles of user input on business rules and when various events need to happen.

Those organizations are responsible for maintaining data on how many people they have to be scheduled. They haven't done a good job, and so it's apparently been a problem that we've been scheduling too many people at certain times.

The people who push the buttons to get the scheduling done and sort of help with the business rules don't like that sometimes the order of activities is changed based on the availability of people. They've convinced the powers that be that the scheduling process should ignore limits on the number of people, and supposedly the management of the people being scheduled has agreed.

I'm anticipating some excellent fireworks.

@boomzilla said:

I'm anticipating some excellent fireworks.

Oh, I can barely wait. This is going to be awesome the first time someone gets called while they're at the dentist. "Why aren't you here, you were scheduled to be in today!" "I told you three weeks ago I couldn't make it because I had a doctor's appointment!"

IOW it'll be half the content of notalwaysworking.com.

• @FrostCat said:

Oh, I can barely wait. This is going to be awesome the first time someone gets called while they're at the dentist. "Why aren't you here, you were scheduled to be in today!" "I told you three weeks ago I couldn't make it because I had a doctor's appointment!"

IOW it'll be half the content of notalwaysworking.com.

That'd never happen to me. My phone is silent when I'm not available.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

It's not so much that. Keeping track of individual stuff is easy. It's more a case of saying, "You guys have to send 3 people at 8:00 on Tuesday." And then they go to figure out whom to send and there's no one available, when we could have just moved that to 3pm on Wednesday instead.

They have always been adamant that deciding when individuals get scheduled is a human's task. The system just says they have to supply a body.

@chubertdev said:

That'd never happen to me. My phone is silent when I'm not available.

Not everyone's that smart.

@boomzilla said:

It's not so much that. Keeping track of individual stuff is easy. It's more a case of saying, "You guys have to send 3 people at 8:00 on Tuesday." And then they go to figure out whom to send and there's no one available, when we could have just moved that to 3pm on Wednesday instead.

Ah, so instead the stories will be about 35 people milling around in the break room on Wednesday afternoon. Not as obviously exciting but I have confidence in you!

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

Ah, so instead the stories will be about 35 people milling around in the break room on Wednesday afternoon. Not as obviously exciting but I have confidence in you!

Yeah, that too.

• Java Dev

Our product manager occasionally not-quite-jests that he works overtime frequently and he doesn't see why we shouldn't. I don't see it happening though.

• @FrostCat said:

They'd probably say, "Mmm mmm mmmm mMMMmmm M mMMmm". Get it? Because the dentist has stuff in their mouth? Haha?

• Fake News

The "only questions allowed" thread is over ↘ there.

Missed my point a little, but it was funny, so one like to you.

• Ticket comes in, gets assigned to me.
    I pass it to the proper team responsible for the system, and give them what I know about the incident.

They ask if I can communicate with the end user, do some research, etc.

I tell them, "no, this is your system, not mine. my only involvment was passing the ticket on. you have the system, you have the information. I'm washing my hands of this ticket. it's yours."

@blakeyrat said:

That was after an hour of bullshit discussing how we'll generate the WSDL for the service. I held my tongue from saying, "do you know how fucking EASY it is to build a WSDL? I could have actually done the fucking thing in a half hour."

It's only easy if you're doing it the sensible way (getting a tool to generate it). If they're going to do it the mad way (writing it by hand) it takes a lot longer than that.

And yes, I recognise that type of scenario. People round here wonder why I sometimes get very dismissive of their stupid meetings…

• @blakeyrat said:

They'd probably say, "Mmm mmm mmmm mMMMmmm M mMMmm". Get it? Because the dentist has stuff in their mouth? Haha?

Oh baby, give me a call the next time you need dentistry, sounds sexy.

• So part of me was hoping today was an Article DiscoComments day, just so we'd have two threads with this title but under two different categories.

• Couldn't be worse than idiots posting "The Dictionary Of Emoji" in here for no fucking reason except to annoy me. A moderator, no less. The only active moderator!, no less. Then he even wrote "for my own amusement" at the top of it!!!

• Don't you mean 🆙 ⤵ 🔙 that way?

Also lime green.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

The first person to receive a ticket should be doing triage on it.

The system should be set up so the first person to receive a ticket is equipped to do triage on it. Typically this would be a helpdesk person or some such. In this case, it probably shouldn't have been you, but the next guy probably only saw that you had it before him and assumed it was you who dropped the ball.

• I'm in a meeting that is killing me. I feel my life draining away.

• There's a woman at this meeting who is WAY too energetic. It's kind of disturbing.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

There's a woman at this meeting who is WAY too energetic. It's kind of disturbing.

❓

• I don't know who that is, but the facial expression is similar.

• @blakeyrat said:

I don't know who that is

• @Yamikuronue said:

The first person to receive a ticket should be doing triage on it.

The system should be set up so the first person to receive a ticket is equipped to do triage on it. Typically this would be a helpdesk person or some such. In this case, it probably shouldn't have been you, but the next guy probably only saw that you had it before him and assumed it was you who dropped the ball.

Nah, I passed on all the info, I was done. They had every piece of data that I did, they knew everything that I did, I could be of no more use to them, and yet, they still couldn't understand that I was absolutely done with the ticket.

• I still don't know who that is, but thanks for a link to a thread full of broken image icons? I guess?