‭🙅 THE BAD IDEAS THREAD

• @FrostCat said:

As for the original fan, what would you do at home if you had a small desk fan that died? Do the same thing with this.

Take it out of town, set it next to a pound of Tannerite, and shoot it from 50 yards away? 😀

• @FrostCat said:

As for the original fan, what would you do at home if you had a small desk fan that died? Do the same thing with this.

Well ... my plan was to place it somewhere in the office, and see what happens. Judging from other items in the office, it'll become a permanent part of it, and future occupants will (briefly) wonder why there's an old CPU fan in the pile of old, unused keyboards.

But, sure, throwing it away is an option.

• @cvi said:

my plan was to place it somewhere in the office, and see what happens.

Hang it from a ceiling tile in a secluded area with a couple wires going up into the ceiling, or maybe from a network rack somewhere, with a big note saying "DO NOT REMOVE!!!"

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@cvi said:

my plan was to place it somewhere in the office, and see what happens.

Ah. This, I approve of. Bonus points if you put it in a place it shouldn't otherwise be, like behind a book on a coworker's shelf.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• The empty paper tray of an unused but still working printer?

I keep getting 500s for some reason.
    Sorry if I ended up triple-posting.

• Taxing Internet data transfer...

• 150 forints(~$0.62)/GB?! That's a fairly big tax.

• ♿ (Parody)

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (KABC) -- A 28-year-old woman rescued from a chimney at a Thousand Oaks home was allegedly trying to break into the home of a man she had met online.

Someone else had a story about that, that included a great quote from the guy to the effect that she seemed normal until she showed up on the roof of his house.

I'll just bet.

She's also got crazy eyes in her mugshot. That's a good warning sign right there.

@PJH said:

http://hackaday.com/2014/10/22/watch-that-windows-update-ftdi-drivers-are-killing-fake-chips/

> It's a bold strategy to cut down on silicon counterfeiters on the part of FTDI. A reasonable company would go after the manufacturers of fake chips, not the consumers who are most likely unaware they have a fake chip. [bold mine - ed]

Retraction:

Though our intentions were honorable, we acknowledge that our recent driver update has caused concern amongst our genuine customer base. I assure you, we value our customers highly and do not in any way wish to cause distress to them.

@PJH said:

Though our intentions were honorable

Well there's a lie.

• Continuing with the WTF BrightScript is, I've just spent two hours trying to figure out why a very stupid thing didn't work, then I reminded something from the documentation:

BrightScript is not case sensitive.

Great idea, truly a great one. Add to a sort of not-global but global scope, and you are fucked.

function Subscription() as Object
    end function

' somewhere else
    for each subscription in getSomeSubscriptions()
        ' fuck you, I'll break because subscription -> Subscription()
        print subscription.id
    end for

Fun right?

• Case-insensitivity in a language is a good thing, if your IDE can handle it. In this case, your IDE sucks.

• @chubertdev said:

Case-insensitivity in a language is a good thing

For example?

@chubertdev said:

if your IDE can handle it

Yeah, first add support that works to any IDE out there and then we can talk.

• Sounds like a chicken/egg problem.

VB .NET in VS works just fine with this.

• Great example, just great... you can't be serious right? VB as an example of a programming language?

• @Eldelshell said:

Great example, just great... you can't be serious right? VB as an example of a programming language?

Not VB, VB .NET. It definitely seems to be better than what you're using.

@chubertdev said:

Eldelshell:
    Great example, just great... you can't be serious right? VB as an example of a programming language?

Not VB, VB .NET

It's amazing how so many years later, people still thing vb.net is vb6 or something. It's not. It's basically[1] C# with word instead of symbols ("end" vs "}" etc.

[1] Whatever your objection was, assume this acknowledges that difference.

• @Eldelshell said:

VB as an example of a programming language?

Have you ever even used VB.NET? It's a fine programming language.

• Apparently, trying to compile PyPy from source on an Ubuntu 14.04 system on an old dual-core Intel Atom is a bad idea...

That'll probably be the optimizing compiler core. Those are expensive to compile, especially if they're written in C++. (I'm looking at you, LLVM! Though gcc, you're not excluded either!)

• Apparently changing your browser user-agent to a random 8000 byte string. which is just enough not to trigger a 4xx error is a bad idea.

With the amount of background requests going on discourse for example .
    You guarantee to get DISK_SPACE_NOT_FOUND pretty quickly by filling up the logs.

1000 requests will generate about 8MB of log data with a useless 8000 bytes of user-agent string.
    now do the math

saving such a big log in the first place is also a bad idea

• That's pretty evil. Almost every site I've worked with logs the user-agent somehow somewhere. Actually, AFAIR Apache by default logs this.

• FoxDev

the defaults is not always sane for production.

yes having an 8000 byte user agent is evil, but logging that info i prod is also somewhat of a bad idea.

there's a reason that HTTP414 is a thing

• Sure enough, but every place wants to know their users data and the user-agent is a very important part of it, specially if you're running a mobile site.

• FoxDev

then add GA to your site and let Google handle storing useragent statistics.

then turn off that log because you don't need it.

• @Eldelshell said:

Sure enough, but every place wants to know their users data and the user-agent is a very important part of it, specially if you're running a mobile site.

Can't you just trim the damn thing? I mean, if your user agent is longer than two hundred or so characters, somebody's obviously fucking with you anyway.

• @Eldelshell said:

That's pretty evil. Almost every site I've worked with logs the user-agent somehow somewhere. Actually, AFAIR Apache by default logs this.

it is evil and legal and something that site owners should be aware of.
    this will cost you money, performance and will put your site in operational danger if not handled properly

I gave an example how a user can legally mess the system.
    I didn't mention how a more malicious attacker can automate more then 1000 requests a minute single threaded .
    and DOS the site by impacting storage resources with minimum efforts in a short period of time.

@accalia said:

the defaults is not always sane for production.

yes having an 8000 byte user agent is evil, but logging that info i prod is also somewhat of a bad idea.

there's a reason that HTTP414 is a thing

I Agree
    The internet was designed with zero security in mind, when security became an issue. measures were taken.
    If you are using a tool to aggregate statistics base on access.log
    You should proactively protect your log and infrastructure from this kind of abuse.
    The logs now have operational value and not just sentimental.

@Maciejasjmj said:

Can't you just trim the damn thing? I mean, if your user agent is longer than two hundred or so characters, somebody's obviously fucking with you anyway

log by default can be an issue if in a limited resources server.
    doesn't seem that there is an easy way to trim in nginx log out of the box.
    not sure about apache.
    if you ask me this should be a build in feature.

@Eldelshell said:

user-agent is a very important part of it, specially if you're running a mobile site.

On the application level you can still access user agent on the client or server side, regardless if the server logs it or not.

most people that need analytics will usually resort to 3rd part solution to take care of that specially that it is better ( GA ) and *free

But… doing evil things to the logs on a service that knows your IP address and also quite possibly your user account too, with all that info right there beside where you're being nefarious? You're in the right thread!

• 🚽 Regular

@Monarch said:

Apparently changing your browser user-agent to a random 8000 byte string
    I'm not sure whether you meant doing this once or doing this on every request (which is evil-er).

• Apartments where the light switch for a room is OUTSIDE the room. WTF?!

Calling support, i.e., me, for help with my company's software, and starting out with "I couldn't figure out why the web application won't let me create an account so I started editing the SQL in the web page." Because you're the first of our customers to ever have this problem, right? Moving on, he started searching through his email looking for the administrative user credentials to the Windows app the web app is an adjunct to. It's probably not a good idea to slag the software in email, even though this person probably didn't have reason to think I'd ever see those emails when he wrote them.

On the amusing side, I also saw my boss referred to as "the mastermind." I'm not sure the context was entirely flattering.

• @anonymous234 said:

Apartments where the light switch for a room is OUTSIDE the room.

I have this in a couple of places in my (1930's? 1940's? era) house. Most notably the switch for the bathroom light is just outside the bathroom door. The switch for the hall light is in the living room.

When my ex-wife and I bought our former house, a switch in the living room controlled an outlet in the bedroom, on the other side of the common wall. Oops, electrician fail.

• @HardwareGeek said:

Most notably the switch for the bathroom light is just outside the bathroom door.

Oh man, I would be impossible to live with if this construction existed in my house/apartment.

• @locallunatic said:

Oh man, I would be impossible to live with if this construction existed in my house/apartment.

I've lived in houses with that. It gets abused. A lot.

• Like in all of Europe? You Americans and your inside light switches and your stupid Fahrenheit and stupid ounces and stupid stupid feet.

Now that I think about it, in Sweden this wasn't true (not Europe as far as they care) nor in the UK (not Europe either).

@HardwareGeek said:

When my ex-wife and I bought our former house, a switch in the living room controlled an outlet in the bedroom, on the other side of the common wall. Oops, electrician fail.

The psycopath who wired my apartment put dual switches in both bedrooms. The left-hand one only controls power to an outlet; the right-hand one controls the fan/light. We taped both the left-hand switches to on.

• I'm in Europe too. I don't think it's that common here.

And there's not much of a logical reason to do it. Maybe it's easier to wire or something, but that's it.

• 🚽 Regular

@Eldelshell said:

Like in all of Europe?
    # õ_Ô ?

• @anonymous234 said:

I'm in Europe too. I don't think it's that common here.

For room switches, no. But for bathrooms/toilets? I think it's more clever to put a switch on the wall of a well-lit room, instead of the room that you're only about to light up.

• @dkf said:

But… doing evil things to the logs on a service that knows your IP address and also quite possibly your user account too, with all that info right there beside where you're being nefarious? You're in the right thread!

(No. All the service know is the IP of a random public wifi, a proxy, a random computer that his owner thought he inherited $300k from a distant relative in Nigeria, and clicked on the attachment, a TOR)

There is nothing criminal with changing your user agent, and I doubt that any TOS will prohibit modification or limit length of that header in the first place.

If the TOS does not prohibit abnormal usage of automated tools,or enforce rate limit, etc in the terms of service.
    1000,10,000,100,000,∞ requests will be legal.

Though if you are making the request with the intention to cause a denial of service then is most likely be consider illegal. with emphasis on the intention.

Let say you are scrapping a big news site. and the site does not limit in any way scrapping or crawling.
    You got a tool you downloaded of the internet, that happen to have a very long user-agent. you may generate gigs of log data. your tool may as well exhaust the site storage, is it illegal? or legitimate use?

@Zecc said:

I'm not sure whether you meant doing this once or doing this on every request (which is evil-er).

once you override your user-agent any request to any site will send that identifier to the server.
    beside of the bad side affect on the server you may as well slow down your own browsing experience.

on the good side

• even if you change your user-agent to a fixed long string of 8 Kilobyte, once the server log get compressed, the compression ratio will be really high. so eventually the impact may not be as bad.
      unless of course you randomize the the user agent string on each request.

• if you carefully set up your server log with rotation and predefined limits, you can protect your server from logs consuming the entire disk space. There are still issues associated but it is the least you can do to protect a limited resource server.

The best next thing you can do is to block such requests completely.

Just to be clear I am not encouraging this practice and against abusing it in any way.
    my intention are of the contrary, I want you to be prepared and protected.

• @Monarch said:

Let say you are scrapping a big news site

Many big news sites should be scrapped and rebuilt from the ground up — or not; in many cases, the content isn't worth it.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Monarch said:

Just to be clear I am not encouraging this practice and against abusing it in any way.

That should be clear from the topic you chose to post in. But sometimes that's too obvious.

So: a dumbass thought he was being funny and accidentally pushed to prod?

This is why, no matter how funny it seems, you never write that crap on paper or electrons: sooner or later you'll fuck up and someone will see it.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

But for bathrooms/toilets? I think it's more clever to put a switch on the wall of a well-lit room, instead of the room that you're only about to light up.

I always thought it was a wet hands thing as well. I guess this should be more likely in a bathroom than a toilet...

Filed under: [See also, pull cord light switches][1]

• @RTapeLoadingError said:

I always thought it was a wet hands thing as well.

The light switch for my bathroom, as stated above, is outside, in the hallway. However, the switches for the fan (which also has a light) and heater (built into the fan/light) are located next to the shower/tub, where I have to reach across them to get my towel. I'm always careful to reach around the switches, but still...

@RTapeLoadingError said:

Filed under: See also, pull cord light switches

Why? — <iframe ... src="http://dp.g.doubleclick.net/apps/domainpark/domainpark.cgi?...">

• any publicity is good publicity.

They just need to say the employee that wrote it is a proud fat girl that accepts herself as she is and does not consider "fat girl" offensive and see noting wrong being a fat girl.

it is just too late after they apologized

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk