The Official Status Thread

"Platinum offer", "Gold membership", "Premium account"

My hair stand on end just from hearing these.

If marketing people think these somehow instill trust or value, they missed the memo about 10 years ago.

• Playing along with the differences between prices of different things is what is considered normal lifestyle.

• Also, status:

Apparently running from a DigitalOcean droplet IP is like minus ten points to Google trust or something. Funnily enough, Google's main page works, but only if you type slow enough to not send the whole query before it loads partial results. Chrome built-in search just fails outright, though.

Oh, and sometimes it will give me a CAPTCHA to solve, only to throw an error anyway, just to spite me more.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@accalia said:

i've never seen a brick and mortar store that handed out HDDs in just the ESD bags... they're always in little cardboard boxes that have plastic inserts to provide at least a little cushioning of the drive.

You know you have a Micro Center that's just a couple of hours drive away, right? It's in Cambridge, so you can even blend in with your Prius.

They sell bulk drives in just AS bags. ODDs too.

• @FrostCat said:

a couple of hours drive away

You people seriously drive for hours (i.e. more than one) to get to the shop? Like, any shop?

Bloody hell, in two hours by car I could hop to Germany for a Bratwurst, not for a fucking HDD.

@Maciejasjmj said:

You people seriously drive for hours (i.e. more than one) to get to the shop? Like, any shop?

I don't actually expect her to, but I don't know what kind of stores they have in Portland or wherever.

My point was that there IS a very nice electronics superstore in something approaching a reasonable distance--plus you could get the unlocked core i5/i7s for something like $70 less than everyone else charged, if you went into the store.

Also, yes, out West, but in Texas in particular, people will drive a couple hours to, say, try a new restaurant.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Bloody hell, in two hours by car I could hop to Germany for a Bratwurst, not for a fucking HDD.

In two hours by car I could make it approximately 1/4 of the way across my state, and probably not encounter another vehicle after the first hour.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

@FrostCat said:

Also, yes, out West, but in Texas in particular, people will drive a couple hours to, say, try a new restaurant.

In two hours drive, I could hit a number of war zones or crisis areas. So no thanks, I'm fine where I am.

• STATUS: This "TAP" thing just started appearing every time I run any of my tests.

Doesn't appear for normal node apps. No idea what it is.

@cartman82 said:

In two hours drive, I could hit a number of war zones or crisis areas. So no thanks, I'm fine where I am.

In two hours by car I'd be still stuck on the Beltway. So no thanks, I'm fine where I am.

:D 🐠

• Google is your friend (unless it's broken).

@cartman82 said:

In two hours drive, I could hit a number of war zones or crisis areas.

I could probably drive TEN hours in any direction (except due south) without hitting a war zone/crisis area other than possibly an inner city.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@Maciejasjmj said:

It really depends on what you factor under the cost of living though. Rents - fine, Poland is dirt cheap compared to America, you can rent a studio in for $300-$400 a month in a residential district of one of the bigger cities. Food - sorta... a loaf of bread is about 4 times cheaper, which about matches the average wage ratio, a Big Mac about twice, but a 12-pack of soda cans would cost you more in Poland. So it depends.

Things like electronics, books or CDs, though? Fat chance, you get the same price as the US.

Well, then it stands to reason that a lot of it comes down to expected standard of living. When the USA talks about "poor" and "poverty", it is not the same as many other parts of the world. In the USA, you can be "poor" and still have basic healthcare, a working car, 3,000 calories a day, cable TV, internet, a cell phone, etc.

In many parts of the world there are people who make less than $15 a week, here we are wanting to raise the minimum wage to $15/hour.

@Maciejasjmj said:

People regularly do just that so they can shop at IKEA.

• Status: maybe instead of making a pastrami grilled cheese for dinner while inebriated I should just order in.

Just don't pass out in the middle of cooking and you should be fine. The food might be horrible, but you should be fine. ;)

• Was just surprised that "drunk enough to break a cheese cutter" was a thing. Still was a tasty sandwich.

@locallunatic said:

Was just surprised that "drunk enough to break a cheese cutter" was a thing.

Well, obviously you and I aren't friends IRL. I have been drunk enough to break an anvil.

@locallunatic said:

Still was a tasty sandwich.

Also, if you want another tasty drunk sandwich, give a Grilled PB'n'J a try. Same concept as grilled cheese, but omit the cheese and replace it with peanut butter and jelly. If you like a little spice, you can do peanut butter, smashed banana and thinly sliced jalapeno.

If you are absolutely shitfaced, or just an adventurous eater, you can do peanut butter, smashed banana, jalapeno and crispy bacon.

I have come up with some good sandwiches when on the wrong end of a fifth of liquor. I have also ruined a fair amount of cookware when on the wrong end of a fifth of liquor. Tread with caution when enjoying drunken cookery.

• Statrus: Drank like 3 glasses of wine, now playing Advanced Warfare on Xbone. NEED MORE WINDESS!

• BINNED

@FrostCat said:

I could probably drive TEN hours in any direction

Hey, I can say that too ... but only because I know it takes more then 10 hours to reach cartman82's area.

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

NEED MORE WINDESS

eat more beans

• I am now too durnk to play Advanced Warfare, I need intoxicated warfare to CATER TO MY UNQIUE NEEDS

• Notification Spam Recipient

Status: Error: Vision systems have been shutdown due to lack of power. Please Regenerate.

Filed under: Automated Message. Please do not reply

• @dkf said:

@cartman82 said:

In two hours by car I'd be still stuck on the Beltway. So no thanks, I'm fine where I am.

:D 🐠

In two hours drive I could either be at the beach or in the mountains :)

• BINNED

I guess that is why you are shouting at yourself about your unique needs, otherwise you know you are always right no need to shout 😄

• I hate university. Years of stupid fucking boring work with zero reward. Oh god I hate this shit so much 😡 😢

• @anonymous234 said:

I hate university. Years of stupid fucking boring work with zero reward.

Then drop out. I've never understood people going to college who aren't there for a love of learning.

• I wouldn't tell you to drop out, but I will tell you university was a huge waste of my time that I now regret.

• 🚽 Regular

@anonymous234 said:

I hate university. Years of stupid fucking boring work with zero reward. Oh god I hate this shit so much

What year are you? Year 1 was fairly uninteresting for lectures but that's because its supposed to be an introduction for students of all levels. There's always the library and access to the journals. I never really appreciated free access to all the journals until I left and had to buy the damn articles instead.

You can always ask your lecturers if there are any projects they are working on that require some dogsbody work you could do. I managed to get some interesting things to do that way. Its a good way to get involved (albeit at a shallow level) with the research side as an undergrad.

https://youtu.be/ifWWRZSWS18

• Status: GW2 crashed with the message "OOM: Heap" again. Going to put it in compatibility mode and see if that helps for some impossible reason.

Guess what happens when you click that blue text.

Did you guess that it goes here? Because if you did, you could work at Microsoft!

• @locallunatic said:

I've never understood people going to college who aren't there for a love of learning.

Well, tell that to the employers who require a MSc., preferably on full-time studies, even though a person who spent five years in college instead of getting experience is exactly the opposite of what they want.

One thing college is useful for is that you have a good excuse to kickstart your career because of the mandatory training in a company. And maybe two or three courses that would teach you something useful if you haven't picked it up yourself a year before.

@Cursorkeys said:

Year 1 was fairly uninteresting for lectures but that's because its supposed to be an introduction for students of all levels.

Really? Because my first year involved fucking Prolog, of all things. And an in-depth course on Operating Systems, including things like thread scheduling or inner workings of FAT32 and NTFS. Then the second year had us soldering up a bloody ATMega-based robot and learning 8257 DMA controller control words by heart.

Actually simple things, like say, web programming? Year 3. Visual programming? Year 4. I get that you have to lay some groundswork first, but come on, 8257 control words?

@Maciejasjmj said:

Because my first year involved fucking Prolog

:giggity:

• Well, this being the first year of college, I think :giggity: goes without mention.

• BINNED

@Maciejasjmj said:

Really? Because my first year involved fucking Prolog, of all things. And an in-depth course on Operating Systems, including things like thread scheduling or inner workings of FAT32 and NTFS. Then the second year had us soldering up a bloody ATMega-based robot and learning 8257 DMA controller control words by heart.

Is it in heaven? Interesting university, good for you! by year two you did not have to pass lots of crap, like arts and philosophy which is absolute waste of time.

• @dse said:

Is it in heaven? Interesting university, good for you!

Interesting... maybe, some of it was fun even. But I'd rather my professional career as a .NET developer didn't depend on whether I know how to write my own filesystem.

@dse said:

by year two you did not have to pass lots of crap, like arts and philosophy which is absolute waste of time.

Well, we had an ethics course on the first year. I think. Frankly the single thing I remember about it was that the TA was kinda hot.

@Maciejasjmj said:

But I'd rather my professional career as a .NET developer didn't depend on whether I know how to write my own filesystem.

Is it the university's fault that you're slumming it with the rest of us plebeian software engineers? :D

• @dkf said:

Is it the university's fault that you're slumming it with the rest of us plebeian software engineers?

Personally, I blame Obama.

• I'm on the last year, it would be pretty stupid to drop out now.

First year I did love it, but I kinda lost motivation after that.

• @Polygeekery said:

Holy shit, that looks amazing.

But I can't help imagining it with some bacon or meatballs on the side.

• @anonymous234 said:

I'm on the last year, it would be pretty stupid to drop out now.

Fair enough. Take some other things you are interested in then, it isn't just stuff in your major you should be learning. (Of course this was easy for me todo as at that point I dropped Econ to a minor instead of a second major).

• Notification Spam Recipient

@ben_lubar said:

Guess what happens when you click that blue text.

Almost all "help links" (at least those that point to .chm files) will always point to that same help topic, and those that don't are :doing_it_wrong:.

Status: I'm doing it! I'm going to train the computer how to talk like me!
    Of course, it only took three months of engineering the perfect studio-quality-like environment so they'll accept my voice recordings, but that's par for the course, amiright?

Filed under: Strangely enough, talking like the computer when doing this makes the result sound worse...

• 🚽 Regular

@Maciejasjmj said:

Year 1 on my course was mostly theory and very basic labs. The scope was pretty much everything that had already been covered in college A-level. There was new stuff towards the end and the semiconductor physics was interesting.

Microcontrollers was year 3 for me. Although we did do design-your-own processor which was a lot of fun.

The only programming lanaguage for me in year 1 was Object Pascal which I now hate with a fiery passion.

On the surface level, a Flask app may appear similar to an express.js app - functions as routes, single threaded, you can use global vars to keep state, etc.

But unlike node.js, all IO stuff also happens on this one thread. Meaning in any real-world scenario you need to use something like gunicorn, to start multiple parallel processes, to be able to handle the load.

Meaning, in the end, you're back to using outside caches to share state, crons to start automated processes, etc. All the same shit PHP and ASP.NET have to deal with.

I find it... gross. Node has ruined me.

@cartman82 said:

Holy shit, that looks amazing.

But I can't help imagining it with some bacon or meatballs on the side.

It was amazing. One of the best things I have ever made. Also, very easy to put together.

And, believe it or not, it doesn't need meat. It is extremely flavorful and complex all on its own. But, I am a sucker for dishes with eggs poached in them. Sopa de Ajo is probably my other favorite for eggs poached in a flavorful dish.

Also, besides it being a tasty dish, it is really fun to say.

Shakshuka.

It sounds like a Russian curse word.

• Status: Just re-wrote some parsing stuff from RegExes to hand-woven custom parsing, resulting in a minor performance gain from ca. 7600 ms to ca. 30 ms (might be slightly more in production).

TRWTF with this is that the new code looks clearer than the RegEx code. (And I was so proud I got the patterns and groups right!)

Additionally, my wife is happy - she found a way to arrange some asymmetrically taken photos in a symmetrical way. The way she originally intended to do wouldn't work, and I spent an hour this afternoon holding her hand while watching her trying to square the circle (and trying to explain to her why you can't make a DVD cover to look like photographed from the right if the original photo is taken from the left without adding stuff to the image, which she well knew but somehow didn't seem to understand that moment).

Additionally, had a little snack consisting of sausage that I can justify to eat in greater quantities because it expires tomorrow. Our dog agreed with the idea.

• @Polygeekery said:

It sounds like a Russian curse word.

Oh, you play Dota 2?

• In two hours by car i could either be almost in the next country or arriving at downtown(~30kms from home) depending on the way i go