The Official Status Thread

• Status: 63% of my 16 videos uploaded since yesterday. Time to play Guild Wars 2 with a video upload using all of my bandwidth.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

So fix Linux's shitty-ass browsers, because everything Exchange supports the web version of Outlook supports. Unless you're running like the old 1997 web version, in which case we're back to: fix your shitty-ass browser.

Hmm...looks like they only support FF on Linux. I just checked my corporate web mail and it says this:

You can use the following browsers on a computer running Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, or Windows 7: Internet Explorer 7 and later versions. Firefox 3.0.1 and later versions. Chrome 3.0.195.27 and later versions.

On a computer running Mac OS X 10.5 and later versions, you can use:
    Safari 3.1 and later versions.
    Firefox 3.0.1 and later versions.

On a computer running Linux, you can use:
    Firefox 3.0.1 and later versions.

The checkbox for using the light version is checked and disabled when I try on chrome. But...it supposedly works if you use it on Wnidows. I confirmed that it works in FF on Linux. No clue why they won't let it work in chrome on Linux. I tried using dev tools to remove the check but I still got the light version.

The ancient version numbers make me suspect that it would probably work, though.

Looking in the "about" popup shows this:

Version: 14.3.224.2
    Mailbox server Microsoft Exchange version: 14.3.123.0

...for version. I have no idea what that is or how up to date it is. I know they updated from an ancient version a few years ago, but I don't know very much about Exchange versions. The about thing also says this:

The required version of Silverlight is installed: No
    Required version of Silverlight: 2.0.31005.0

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Whatever. Point is: unless her time is literally worthless, it's stupid to have a FTE employee do that instead of paying 1/10th of the cost of their BENEFITS (much less salary) to have a shredder truck pull up and do the same job. Say you're paying $450/month for her benefits, and shredding a cubicle full of wastepaper takes 3 weeks and (if they have a shitty home shredder) at least $60 in replacement shredders. DO THE MATH.

I have no idea what the costs are, but every one of our offices (we're a pretty big company with locations all over) has big locked trash bins for stuff to be shredded. I assume someone shows up periodically to take it away and shred it.

• ♿ (Parody)

@HardwareGeek said:

Status: 8 police cars, one police motorcycle, and a guy in handcuffs across the street from my house.

A follow up to the ambulance drama from earler?

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@boomzilla said:

I assume someone shows up periodically to take it away and shred it.

Or sell the contents to your competitors. Whichever.

Get a burn barrel. Better than shredding, and more efficient.

A bit more white trash, but definitely more efficient.

• @Polygeekery said:

A bit more white trash

that's racist

@ben_lubar said:

that's racist

It's OK though. I'm white.

I hate it.

Hate it.

HATE IT.

Hate commuting to my company's shitty office location. Also hate working from home 80% of the time. Hate getting lectured on working from home too much by the morons who decided to move our office to the shitty location that takes 40 minutes longer each day to get to. At least 40 minutes.

I hate how the Hewitt Avenue/Highway 2 trestle is about 1/3rd the size it needs to be to handle the traffic going over it. I hate that our fucking failure of a State and County let Lake Stevens build like 347 kajillion new apartment buildings without any improvements in infrastructure. How did the State think those people were going to get to work? Teleportation? How come the fucking power and phone companies can keep up with this development, but the highway department can't? You never hear about new houses that don't have gas lines, but clogged roads? Every fucking day. Seattle is the only place on Earth where the phrase "freeway speeds" means 10-12 MPH.

I hate this fucking industry. I hate how you have to live in a city to be a software developer. Why the fuck is that? Cities suck. Every time I go to Seattle, which is a good city relatively-speaking, I feel like I want to kill myself. It's so depressing. Beggars on every street corner. You get on the bus, and it smells like a combination of piss and tallboys. All the douchebags douchebagging their way around South Lake Union. Fuck them. Fuck that stupid trolley that is on TRACKS and somehow still can't fucking run on time. Fuck those asshole trolleybuses that get disentangled from their power lines and block the streets. Fuck those rich bitches who stop the Uber cars in the fucking middle of a bus stop, delaying hundreds of people so they can ride in some college drop-out's Mazda 3.

If I were a banker, I could live where ever I wanted. Any small town in America has banks. They have clinics. They have auto repair shops. They have plumbers, and hairdressers, and firemen, and electricians, and truck drivers. But no. I had to be a fucking computer programmer.

Welcome to IT! Hope you enjoy spending your entire life commuting for hours on roads that get worse every year to get to an office you hate, so you can work with tools that also get worse every year! Sure, there's nothing stopping a computer programmer from working remotely, but no, you can't do it. No matter how much you try. Nobody's hiring for that shit, it only exists in theory. (And honestly, I don't want 100% work remotely either. I JUST DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN A FILTHY CITY.)

They never lay me off. No matter how much of a slacker I am, no matter how many rounds of layoffs they do, I never get laid off. I want to be laid off. I want an excuse to drop all of this bullshit and stop pretending to even be a member of civilization and to just curl into a ball and do nothing for months on end. I've never wanted anything more than that.

Fuck all of it.

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Also hate working from home 80% of the time. Hate getting lectured on working from home too much by the morons who decided to move our office to the shitty location that takes 40 minutes longer each day to get to.

Do you hate it for reasons other than the lectures? What reasons? I love working from home. I dread having to not work from home in the future. Though right now, my office is actually 10 minutes or less from my house.

• I don't have a family or anything so I get the majority of my social interaction from work. Working from home full-time would make me go insane like that one The Oatmeal comic.

Compared to the commute, going insane might be nice. But I've completely failed to get any kind of remote work job offer so far, so.

I've been looking now for a month, and there are NO software development jobs any closer to me than Bellevue or Seattle. No that's a lie. There's one. It's at Frontier. Working there would be worse than death.

Because if you don't live in Bellevue, Seattle, or Redmond-- fuck you. No IT jobs for you. Live in a town? A town not full of assholes and the insane? TOO BAD! Your chosen career cannot be worked from there.

Unless you write shitty software like the Discourse aholes, those guys can work remotely.

• NO FUCKING SHIT

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

30 mile leg of my trip

Yeesh. One of the few advantages apartment living has over owning a house is that you can move closer to your job when you switch jobs.

@Weng said:

(Her accumulated pile of "shit I need to shred" had taken over an entire cubicle of its own).

TR :wtf:

@blakeyrat said:

I don't read every post all the way to the end, you know that.

You are never allowed to complain about other people not reading what you wrote ever again.

@HardwareGeek said:

Status: 8 police cars, one police motorcycle, and a guy in handcuffs across the street from my house.

If it weren't on the wrong side of the country I'd wonder if you lived across the street from my sister, whose condo building gets some real...interesting...people every once in a while.

@Weng said:

Manglement don't believe we handle sufficiently large volumes

And you didn't email them six different pictures of the cubicle o' junk within 15 seconds why?

@ben_lubar said:

Status: 63% of my 16 videos uploaded since yesterday. Time to foolishly try to play Guild Wars 2 with a video upload using all of my bandwidth.

FTFY

@boomzilla said:

I assume someone shows up periodically to take it away and shred it.

I'm the guy who signs for Iron Mountains' invoice in my office, so I can tell you for a small company with one small bin, it's about $40.

@boomzilla said:

Though right now, my office is actually 10 minutes or less from my house.

I live 1.2 miles from my work. It is a thing of beauty. I go home every day for homemade lunch and to walk the dog.

Of course ten years ago I had a 90 minute commute across half of Fort Lauderdale, so this is just the reward for putting in my time.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

I live 1.2 miles from my work. It is a thing of beauty. I go home every day for homemade lunch and to walk the dog.

Sounds awful. I'm about...uh...[google maps]....3.3 miles from my office. But my commute is walking down the stairs from my bedroom.

@FrostCat said:

Of course ten years ago I had a 90 minute commute across half of Fort Lauderdale, so this is just the reward for putting in my time.

Yeah, I used to live about 25 miles from my office, which could easily add up to 90 minutes or more if the traffic gods were not favoring me.

• @FrostCat said:

I live 1.2 miles from my work. It is a thing of beauty.

How do you manage that without living in the middle of a filthy city?

@boomzilla said:

Sounds awful.

But I also have a 40 hours per week job, none of this "we need you to stay late tonight/come in on Saturday" bullshit. Before I moved here I had a 20-mile-each-way commute that was mostly through school zones, and took an hour in each direction, so in spite of my snark, I feel @blakeyrat's pain.

@boomzilla said:

Yeah, I used to live about 25 miles from my office, which could easily add up to 90 minutes or more if the traffic gods were not favoring me.

Everywhere I've ever lived where I wasn't roughly next door to the office was 60-90 minute of traffic. I spent about 10 years doing it and I won't be surprised if it happens again at some point, but that's why I make a point of trying to live really close to work, because you can always earn more money, but you can't earn more time. (I would make an exception and not live close to work if I could ride a bus or train and work on the ride.)

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

But I also have a 40 hours per week job, none of this "we need you to stay late tonight/come in on Saturday" bullshit.

Me, too!

@FrostCat said:

...in spite of my snark, I feel @blakeyrat's pain.

Oh, yes, totally. Look, I'm the guy who thinks a sub-10 minute commute in my car is too painful.

@blakeyrat said:

How do you manage that without living in the middle of a filthy city?

I live a couple of miles outside the second ring road around Dallas, and the people who did all the urban planning didn't hate green space. My office is a hollow square with a tree-filled courtyard that I can look at through my window. Across the street is a walking trail through a residential neighborhood. My neighborhood is all single-family homes, duplexes, and two-story apartments. The suburbs around Dallas are full of parks, albeit mostly tame urban ones.

@boomzilla said:

Look, I'm the guy who thinks a sub-10 minute commute in my car is too painful.

Hell, I rode a bike to work for a year, until some shithead stole it, and it was about 10 minutes.

Now I'm not going to say that's actually a lot of fun, because in winter the temps hover around freezing, and there's six months where its in the ballpark of 100° every day and I don't work in a building with a gym where I could shower at the office.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

Hell, I rode a bike to work for a year

Ugh...now you sound like a poor person or a European, but I repeat myself.

• @boomzilla said:

Ugh...now you sound like a poor person or a European, but I repeat myself.

What, they don't have DUIs in Texas? That's what most cyclists here are.

• @blakeyrat said:

What, they don't have DUIs in Texas?

In Oregon, it's illegal to ride a bike while drunk.

• In Oregon, drivers never exceed bicycle speeds anyway. Fucking Oregon drivers.

@blakeyrat said:

What, they don't have DUIs in Texas?

Some people ride bicycles for exercise. I wasn't doing it because I had a DUI.

• @FrostCat said:

Some people ride bicycles for exercise.

In Texas?

I find that very difficult to believe.

@blakeyrat said:

I find that very difficult to believe.

Too bad, because I did it until the bike got stolen. I even did 20mi-rides on weekends. But none of that spandex bullshit for me.

• Do they let you cycle into the drive-through liquor stores?

@blakeyrat said:

Do they let you cycle into the drive-through liquor stores?

Those are mostly in Louisiana and (I think) South Carolina. I have never seen one in Dallas. Or Fort Worth.

If you want to find one, thought, and buy me a new bike I'll drive over to one, and ride it through.

ETA: And get pictures, of course. Maybe even video if you ask nicely.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

Some people ride bicycles for exercise.

We have a bike trail and stuff around here. I can respect riding a bike for exercise. Personally, I prefer to, like, hit people and stuff, but courses for horses and all that. The people around here who ride bikes to work are nearly all Central American immigrants who can't afford cars.

Here, people who can't drive (usually due to DUI) ride scooters, not bikes.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

Here, people who can't drive (usually due to DUI) ride scooters, not bikes.

I think they ride the bus around here.

https://youtu.be/NCS85OX5uxc

• @blakeyrat said:

Seattle is the only place on Earth where the phrase "freeway speeds" means 10-12 MPH.

Having lived in the Bay Area, I can assure you that's not true, and L.A. is even worse.

• Garbage Person

@blakeyrat said:

Live in a town? A town not full of assholes and the insane? TOO BAD! Your chosen career cannot be worked from there.

I live very near Baltimore, MD.

I commute to.... Rural bumfuck Pennsylvania. Our alleged 'primary development center' is in a small industrial town in Illinois. Our IT HQ is well out in suburban Chicago.

Yes, I work for WTFCorp. But I know people who don't. But these jobs exist. Maybe not in West Coast Dreamland, but back east, they do.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election Banned

Story time: Me and my family once went on a road trip which involved visiting the Seattle area for several days. It was really fun. The next year, back at home, we were at a Red Robin and somehow the trip came up in a discussion with our server, who was from Seattle. The weather, of course, came up in discussion. He was able to pinpoint, fully a year later, the exact week we were in the Seattle metropolitan area, based on the fact that it was sunny all three days on our visit.

Because it was the only time there were at least three consecutive sunny days that entire year.

• I've got an 8 minute commute at a reasonable price in the Suburbia: The Town. We have no real public transportation infrastructure, but I enjoy working here.

No drive through liquor stores here.

• Status: Do you want to be cool like @aliceif? Vote for a place to send my dwarves to die! :arrows:

• BINNED

@boomzilla said:

Bah! 60km + whatever the distance from train station to office is.

Assuming the numbers are options, let's go with 2. Hopefully they'll trip and fall into the ocean. Damned dwarves.

• BINNED

Status: What a fucking BITCH! And no, I don't use that word lightly, ever.

So, a client had performance issues yesterday. We put in overtime to check the system out after they finish work and do some database tuning. We had a genuine fuckup on our side of things, fair enough, I actually said it seems like that yesterday and promised we'd fix it.

The processing time on some forms went from 45s to under a second. So yeah. We did fix it all right.

So I called them up a few minutes ago. The woman that fancies herself as a big manager answered. I ask if things are working better.

👩 Yeah, a bit better, still not perfect, but, you know...
    👦 So... knocking down form processing to under a second is still not good enough?
    👩 Oh... to someone next to her: Is it any faster?
    Yes, much better!
    👩 Oh, I guess it is better. Call you back later! click

:fu:

👍