Eclipse UI



  • The only thing that's kept me sane this past several months while working with crappy Apple development tools (namely, Xcode) is that once I finish I'll be switching environments to work on an Android project.

    So I got Eclipse and the Android SDK installed. Two minutes into setting up the project shell and I'm finding WTFs in the layout.

    So I created a new class and dragged the editor into its own window, sort of like how VS2010 works. It opened in a tiny little window in the center of my 1920x1080 screen. Okay, no problem, I'll just drag the window to the top of the monitor and Windows 7 will maximize it for me...actually no, that doesn't work in Eclipse. I didn't realize I even used this little trick until it didn't work. Then I double-clicked the title bar. And nothing happened. Fine then, I'll click the maximize button...wait a minute, there is no maximize button. Or minimize button. Or close button. There is a button in the upper-right within the window's client area that has the tooltip "Maximize" but it doesn't seem to actually do anything other than change the button's icon.

    Before "maximizing": After "maximizing":

     

    Next to that is a button with a tooltip of "Minimize". Guess what that does?

     

    Seriously? Replacing free default stock Windows-provided features with non-functional, mislabeled, buggy, or otherwise confusing features?

    I think I'll be investigating some of the tools to allow Android development from Visual Studio. Hopefully there's a good one that's free or cheap so we can recover from the insanity that was Xcode.



  • Okay here are the images. As usual, TRWTF is Community Server. Don't try pasting images directly into the post editor.

    Before maximizing:

    After maximizing:

     

    After minimizing:



  • @mott555 said:

    So I created a new class and dragged the editor into its own window, sort of like how VS2010 works. It opened in a tiny little window in the center of my 1920x1080 screen.

    I don't use VS, but I use Eclipse all the time (though not on Windows, either). I don't understand what you did here (did you drag something from the package viewer? the editor tab?). From your screen shots, it looks like the little editor window is disassociated from the rest of Eclipse. I can't figure out what happened here, and haven't been able to reproduce it on Linux. It sounds like some weird interaction between whatever java UI crap they use and the (Win7?) window manager. Or, a different version of Eclipse (mine is a few years old at this point).

    @mott555 said:
    Seriously? Replacing free default stock Windows-provided features with non-functional, mislabeled, buggy, or otherwise confusing features?

    Haha! Welcome to java!



  • @mott555 said:

    As usual, TRWTF is Community Server. Don't try pasting images directly into the post editor.
     

    414 request URI too long. It's encoding your pasted images right into the HTML. I don't think CS can be blamed for that.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @dhromed said:

    414 request URI too long. It's encoding your pasted images right into the HTML. I don't think CS can be blamed for that.

    Actually it doesn't see data: as a protocol specifier so it assumes it's a relative link and tries to convert it to absolute by prepending the current base URL (http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/), which makes it no longer a data URL. So the browser (correctly) tries to send a request to the server with that URL and the server says WTF!? at its own constructed URL (which would be a 404 even if the URL wasn't so long).

    So why can't CS be blamed for that?



  • Looks like the window acts as some kind of MDI window for multiple document windows. So the maximize button doesn't do anything because the document already takes up all the space in that window. Likewise, the minimize one does the same, only minimize the document inside the window.

    Why do they need do reinvent everything? It's Java/SWT.
    Why does the window not have standard window controls? WTF indeed.



  • @joe.edwards said:

    So why can't CS be blamed for that?
     

    Absoluteizing is this weird thing that on-page html editors all seem to do.



  • @dhromed said:

    @mott555 said:

    As usual, TRWTF is Community Server. Don't try pasting images directly into the post editor.
     

    414 request URI too long. It's encoding your pasted images right into the HTML. I don't think CS can be blamed for that.

    The "it" you are referring to is CS -- so how is that not CS's fault?@joe.edwards said:
    it assumes it's a relative link and tries to
    convert it to absolute by prepending the current base URL
    (http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/),
    Yes, this is one of the many weird WTFs of Community Server.  If you insert a picture or link which does not contain "http://" at the beginning of the URL then CS changes it to   <font face="courier new,courier">http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/whatever-you-were-trying-to-insert</font>

    In what bizarro parallel universe does that even make sense?


     



  • @El_Heffe said:

    The "it" you are referring to is CS
     

    It is TinyMCE, as far as I know.

     



  • " So I created a new class and dragged the editor into its own window, sort of like how VS2010 works."



    Why would you expect Eclipse to work that way? VS2008 doesn't even work that way... expecting "Stupid VS2010 Tricks" to work in a completely different IDE seems like either 1) a WTF in its own right or 2) the kind of "flaw" that a shill for Microsoft might find. Did you know that Google Docs doesn't have an anthropomorphic paper clip, either? And I'm not sure I want all that crap to permeate the non-Microsoft world anyway. Y'all can just keep your gestures, talking dogs, "My Briefcase," etc. down there in the gutter as far as I am concerned.



  • @bridget99 said:

    "My Briefcase,"
     

    Good job offering an example that was last seen in Windows 95 and a non-feature by Microsoft's admission. Really helps your case.

    @bridget99 said:

    Why would you expect Eclipse to work that way?

    This we agree on.

     



  • @mott555 said:

    and I'm finding WTFs in the layout.
     

    Obligatory "it's written in Java, so it's an organic festering WTF that's birthing WTFs faster than rabbits on viagra" explanation.



  • @dhromed said:

    @bridget99 said:

    "My Briefcase,"
     

    Good job offering an example that was last seen in Windows 95 and a non-feature by Microsoft's admission. Really helps your case.

    In your Windows 7, right click on a folder in the tree pane, or on the empty space in the right pane. Open "New" submenu. Surprise: Briefcase!


  • @bridget99 said:

    " So I created a new class and dragged the editor into its own window, sort of like how VS2010 works."



    Why would you expect Eclipse to work that way? VS2008 doesn't even work that way... expecting "Stupid VS2010 Tricks" to work in a completely different IDE seems like either 1) a WTF in its own right or 2) the kind of "flaw" that a shill for Microsoft might find. Did you know that Google Docs doesn't have an anthropomorphic paper clip, either? And I'm not sure I want all that crap to permeate the non-Microsoft world anyway. Y'all can just keep your gestures, talking dogs, "My Briefcase," etc. down there in the gutter as far as I am concerned.

    No one even mentioned or cares about VS2008, so I don't see how that's relevant. And I didn't expect it to work in Eclipse, but it does (well, to some degree). So I'm not really sure what the point of your post was.



  • @alegr said:

    Surprise: Briefcase!
     

    Didn't see that coming.

     

     

    OLOLOLOL



  • @alegr said:

    @dhromed said:

    @bridget99 said:

    "My Briefcase,"
     

    Good job offering an example that was last seen in Windows 95 and a non-feature by Microsoft's admission. Really helps your case.

    In your Windows 7, right click on a folder in the tree pane, or on the empty space in the right pane. Open "New" submenu. Surprise: Briefcase!
    Do you have Microsoft Office 95 installed by any chance?


  • @Ben L. said:

    @alegr said:

    @dhromed said:

    @bridget99 said:

    "My Briefcase,"
     

    Good job offering an example that was last seen in Windows 95 and a non-feature by Microsoft's admission. Really helps your case.

    In your Windows 7, right click on a folder in the tree pane, or on the empty space in the right pane. Open "New" submenu. Surprise: Briefcase!
    Do you have Microsoft Office 95 installed by any chance?
    Just checked on my Windows 7 machine (which does not have office 95) and it does have the Briefcase.


  • @mott555 said:

    No one even mentioned or cares about VS2008, so I don't see how that's relevant. And I didn't expect it to work in Eclipse, but it does (well, to some degree). So I'm not really sure what the point of your post was.

    Bridget99 is a troll. The point of the post is to troll. It was successful.



  • @mott555 said:

    @bridget99 said:
    " So I created a new class and dragged the editor into its own window, sort of like how VS2010 works."



    Why would you expect Eclipse to work that way? VS2008 doesn't even work that way... expecting "Stupid VS2010 Tricks" to work in a completely different IDE seems like either 1) a WTF in its own right or 2) the kind of "flaw" that a shill for Microsoft might find. Did you know that Google Docs doesn't have an anthropomorphic paper clip, either? And I'm not sure I want all that crap to permeate the non-Microsoft world anyway. Y'all can just keep your gestures, talking dogs, "My Briefcase," etc. down there in the gutter as far as I am concerned.

    No one even mentioned or cares about VS2008, so I don't see how that's relevant. And I didn't expect it to work in Eclipse, but it does (well, to some degree). So I'm not really sure what the point of your post was.

    To expect something to work in Eclipse just because it works in Visual Studio is stupid. When said feature doesn't even work in Visual Studio unless you're using the very latest version of Visual Studio, it's even more stupid to expect it to work in Eclipse. If you can't grasp that, I'd suggest you look into a career that depends less on logic. Do you expect the good people who gave us Eclipse to sit around fooling around with every new version of Visual Studio to figure out all the stupid little things it can do? Would you prefer Eclipse if it made better use of ALL CAPS and white-on-gray GUI text? Apparently that's what's considered state-of-the-art up in Redmond these days.



  • @Anketam said:

    @Ben L. said:
    @alegr said:
    @dhromed said:
    @bridget99 said:
    "My Briefcase,"
    Good job offering an example that was last seen in Windows 95 and a non-feature by Microsoft's admission. Really helps your case.

    In your Windows 7, right click on a folder in the tree pane, or on the empty space in the right pane. Open "New" submenu. Surprise: Briefcase!
    Do you have Microsoft Office 95 installed by any chance?
    Just checked on my Windows 7 machine (which does not have office 95) and it does have the Briefcase.
    Holy Crap!!  It's true.

     



  • Epson? They're still around? And ACDSee?



  • @Ben L. said:

    ACDSee?
    I still use it, for reading comics mostly, I like the fact that it can read compressed files as folders in pretty much every popular format and the ability to lock the zoom level is handy as well for the same purpose



  • @alegr said:

    In your Windows 7, right click on a folder in the tree pane, or on the empty space in the right pane. Open "New" submenu. Surprise: Briefcase!

    It's gone in Windows 8!



  • @serguey123 said:

    I still use it, for reading comics mostly
     

    Didn't think of using that.

    I use "comix" and "cdisplay" but their foibles haven't annoyed me enough to search out something else.



  • I suppose this behavior is linked with Eclipse's notion of windows, pages and views. What you have done is detatch the editor (view), but it's still running in the same (logical/internal) window, but probably on a different page. I have no clue why they chose a design which does not have the default buttons, but whatever. If you want a full-fledged second window, select Window -> New Window from the menu. You can't drag an open editor from one window to another, but there is already a bug report open of this.

    The small buttons that you see do not control the window, but the display of the view within the current page.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.