Yet another sleep

• :(

CLOSE COMPUTER

• @Xyro said:

CLOSE COMPUTER

You can't quite fit the cover on it anymore and one end of the PURPLE DILDO sticks out. It'll have to do.

• BINNED

@mott555 said:

Let's all get together and write an LGPL-licensed text game based on TDWTF, and many of the regulars can have "cameos" as NPCs.

I'm in.

Heck, knowing how WTF-y CS is I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too hard to get it running in a post on the forum itself using some sort of a hack (kinda like this).

Throw in a XMPP server and we can have dhromed GM it live.

NOTE: never played around with littering CS with arbitrary code, for all I know it might be as simple as dumping a <script> tag in and calling it a day.

• @Onyx said:

@mott555 said:

Let's all get together and write an LGPL-licensed text game based on TDWTF, and many of the regulars can have "cameos" as NPCs.

I'm in.

Heck, knowing how WTF-y CS is I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too hard to get it running in a post on the forum itself using some sort of a hack (kinda like this).

NOTE: never played around with littering CS with arbitrary code, for all I know it might be as simple as dumping a <script> tag in and calling it a day.

That's...brilliant!

• @mott555 said:

@Onyx said:

@mott555 said:

I'm in.

That's...brillant!

FTFY

• :( :( :(

OPEN COMPUTER WITH SCREWDRIVER
    REMOVE DILDO WITH SCREWDRIVER

:(

• @Onyx said:

I'm willing to pay real money for it too, especially if blakeyrat is in it at some point, most likely ranting about UI standards and your shoes not being coordinated with your shirt and pants.

I am Trademarked.

• @Xyro said:

OPEN COMPUTER WITH SCREWDRIVER

The computer is now open.

@Xyro said:

REMOVE DILDO WITH SCREWDRIVER

You prod the dildo out of hiding, inch by inch. Yeah. It's probably a good idea to not touch it.

• humm..

LOOK DILDO eh I better not

FIX COMPUTER WITH SCREWDRIVER AND INVENTORY

• @Xyro said:

LOOK DILDO

You wager it' slightly thicker than the average, though only subtly so. It's coiled up on the floor, but its springyness is causing it to uncoil very slowly, like spaghetti flowing off a spoon.

@Xyro said:

FIX COMPUTER WITH SCREWDRIVER AND INVENTORY

You can't use your SCREWDRIVER on that.

You can't use your INVENTORY on that.

• KICK DILDO AWAY

PULL SLEEVES OVER HANDS

RECONNECT CONNECTORS

• @Xyro said:

KICK DILDO AWAY

It goes sliding into the darkness and plofs against the wall, unseen.

@Xyro said:

PULL SLEEVES OVER HANDS

You have no sleeves.

@Xyro said:

RECONNECT CONNECTORS

You reconnect everything that dangled. Looks like everything is in order now, except for that front panel display, which apparently has been mounted upside-down.

This hardware is impressive!

• GO DENNIS

GET YE FLASK

• CLOSE COMPUTER

RECONNECT COMPUTER

RECONNECT MONITOR

TURN ON COMPUTER

WINCE

• Windows 7 starts up smoothly.

Aside from the HORRIBLY TWISTED DESKTOP WALLPAPER OF MORBIUSWILTERS, it looks like a normal, fully stocked machine.

No really.

Someone apparently just said fuck it and saved the PICTURE OF MORBIUSWILTERS with like 5 colors and no dithering. It's awful.

• @dhromed said:

Windows 7 starts up smoothly.
    ...on a 486? shiver

• @ender said:

@dhromed said:
    ...on a 486? shiver
    dhromed means smoothly like "apart from driving our family car off that cliff and everyone getting HIV, that camping trip went smoothly."

• BINNED

@ender said:

@dhromed said:
    ...on a 486? shiver

Windows 7 on a 486... Twisted morbs as wallpaper... 666 on the frequency display which was (if I understood it correctly) turned upside down making it, in fact, 999 (I guess that would run win 7)... So it's evil, twisted AND opposite of all things natural.

Oh dear $deity, it has both Lotus Notes and Oracle installed, doesn't it?

• Perhaps it's a modern PC inside a 486-era case. That would actually be a fun project if you could get thermals under control.

• @Onyx said:

Windows 7 on a 486... Twisted morbs as wallpaper... 666 on the frequency display which was (if I understood it correctly) turned upside down making it, in fact, 999 (I guess that would run win 7)

Well, you could run XP on an 8MHz computer

PLEASE someone argue that win 7 is bloated beacuse it won't run on the same hardware...

• BINNED

@swayde said:

Well, you could roun XP on an 8MHz computer
    PLEASE someone argue that 7 is bloated beacuse i't won't run on the same hardware...

Microsoft's VM image intended to run ONE version of IE legally on in VirtualBox/VmWare player is almost 14GB

My Wine folder is currently under 300 MB and is capable of running modern 3D games

Happy?

• @Onyx said:

@swayde said:
    Well, you could roun XP on an 8MHz computer
    PLEASE someone argue that 7 is bloated beacuse i't won't run on the same hardware...

Microsoft's VM image intended to run ONE version of IE legally on in VirtualBox/VmWare player is almost 14GB

My Wine folder is currently under 300 MB and is capable of running modern 3D games

Happy?

As both a Pentium 4 and Wine user, "capable of running" means nothing. Any computer is capable of running anything assuming it has enough total memory + swap.

That said, crappy hardware + emulation = extra slowness.

• BINNED

@Ben L. said:

As both a Pentium 4 and Wine user, "capable of running" means nothing. Any computer is capable of running anything assuming it has enough total memory + swap.

My point wasn't about the speed, but I agree that performance is usually worse.

Also, Wine is not an emulator.

• @Onyx said:

@Ben L. said:

My point wasn't about the speed, but I agree that performance is usually worse.

Also, Wine is not an emulator.

My processor emulates being a 64bit processor, so absolutely anything I do on my computer is either emulated (32->64) or an emulation of an emulation (32->64->32 or 32->64->some kind of vm)

• BINNED

@Ben L. said:

My processor emulates being a 64bit processor, so absolutely anything I do on my computer is either emulated (32->64) or an emulation of an emulation (32->64->32 or 32->64->some kind of vm)

Damn!

Ok, I give, my pedantic dickweedery is no match to yours

• @Onyx said:

Filed under: wait - Pentium 4 with 64bit instruction set?

ben@loads ~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo 
    processor       : 0                                                                                                                                          
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel                                                                                                                               
    cpu family      : 15                                                                                                                                         
    model           : 4                                                                                                                                          
    model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz                                                                                                          
    stepping        : 3                                                                                                                                          
    microcode       : 0x5                                                                                                                                        
    cpu MHz         : 3400.000                                                                                                                                   
    cache size      : 2048 KB                                                                                                                                    
    physical id     : 0                                                                                                                                          
    siblings        : 2                                                                                                                                          
    core id         : 0                                                                                                                                          
    cpu cores       : 1                                                                                                                                          
    apicid          : 0                                                                                                                                          
    initial apicid  : 0                                                                                                                                          
    fpu             : yes                                                                                                                                        
    fpu_exception   : yes                                                                                                                                        
    cpuid level     : 5                                                                                                                                          
    wp              : yes                                                                                                                                        
    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc pebs bts nopl pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est cid cx16 xtpr                                                                                            
    bogomips        : 6782.99                                                                                                                                    
    clflush size    : 64                                                                                                                                         
    cache_alignment : 128                                                                                                                                        
    address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual                                                                                                          
    power management:                                                                                                                                            

processor       : 1                                                                                                                                          
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel                                                                                                                               
    cpu family      : 15                                                                                                                                         
    model           : 4                                                                                                                                          
    model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz                                                                                                          
    stepping        : 3
    microcode       : 0x5
    cpu MHz         : 3400.000
    cache size      : 2048 KB
    physical id     : 0
    siblings        : 2
    core id         : 0
    cpu cores       : 1
    apicid          : 1
    initial apicid  : 1
    fpu             : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level     : 5
    wp              : yes
    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc pebs bts nopl pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est cid cx16 xtpr
    bogomips        : 6782.99
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 128
    address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:
    ben@loads ~$ uname -a
    Linux loads.a.monay 3.4.4-4.fc16.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Jul 5 20:01:38 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

No, that's not two 3.4GHz processors. That's one with hyperthreading.

• BINNED

I stand corrected.

• @Onyx said:

I stand corrected.

Good for you. Now go do something useful instead of reading my processor's specs.

• Whoa, what happened to this thread? Is the game over? Did I die?

Ben, I think we have the same processor. That's kind of neat, I guess.

• @Xyro said:

Whoa, what happened to this thread? Is the game over? Did I die?

Ben, I think we have the same processor. That's kind of neat, I guess.

&lt;3

• @Xyro said:

Whoa, what happened to this thread? Is the game over? Did I die?

The game crashed and dumped a lot of weird system processor information on the screen.

Thank god for save points!

• @Ben L. said:

GO DENNIS

GET YE FLASK

I was wondering when that would crop up....

• @Xyro said:

...is the monitor bright enough to light up the room? Or, maybe I can just fiddle with the contrast and brightness settings. Wait a second, how on earth does a 486 have a DVI port??? WHERE AM I????

@dhromed said:
    @Xyro said:
    LOOK COMPUTER

It's a crappy old 486 case. Beige and lightly stained. It's off.

@dhromed said:
    You carefully remove the back screws and the cover. You are greeted by a very long flexible PURPLE DILDO that has been crammed in and around the hardware, dislodging some CONNECTORS and jamming a few fans.

The hardware itself looks absolutely pristine and new, as if it was purchased and installed only yesterday.

@Onyx said:

Windows 7 on a 486...

... I don't think there are any emulators running on that computer.

• @dhromed said:

UNSETTLING PICTURE OF MORBIUSWILTERS

Isn't this like writing "wet water" or "cold ice"...?

• I had some dry water once which was just cold ice warmed up. Dry ice is something totally different, confusingly.

•  All ice is dry! Your heat melts its surface and makes it wet!

• @dhromed said:

All ice is dry! Your heat melts its surface and makes it wet!

What if you dump water over the ice? Eh? Eh??

• @Xyro said:

What if you dump water over the ice? Eh? Eh??

Then it's submerged ice!

• I understand!

All solids are dry, because they are not liquid.

• So it's actually... glass?

• @Cassidy said:

So it's actually... glass?

No, ice is a crystal.

• @PJH said:

@witchdoctor said:
    The problem here is that you still have limited accuracy when you synchronize clocks over a network.
    You can get millisecond accuracy over a local network with NTP. (And 10's of milliseconds over the internet.)

Which is effectively useless when the times drop into the uS range.... It happened to me recently. A series of systems, each running on different servers were all migrated to run on a single box [but still as individual processes]. IPC times dropped by an order of magnitude and race conditions were rampant.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@TheCPUWizard said:

@PJH said:

@witchdoctor said:
    The problem here is that you still have limited accuracy when you synchronize clocks over a network.
    You can get millisecond accuracy over a local network with NTP. (And 10's of milliseconds over the internet.)

Which is effectively useless when the times drop into the uS range.... It happened to me recently. A series of systems, each running on different servers were all migrated to run on a single box [but still as individual processes]. IPC times dropped by an order of magnitude and race conditions were rampant.

How did it get solved?

• A plug for inform7 if anyone makes a TDWTF text game.

• @cmccormick said:

A plug for inform7 if anyone makes a TDWTF text game.

I wonder if this can be used to create use cases and pit them to users or coworkers.

• @Cassidy said:

Is that why the ice is thicker at the bottom than the top?

• @Sutherlands said:

@Cassidy said:

Is that why the ice is thicker at the bottom than the top?

No that's just because they fucked up while freezing (the little dish was resting on something unevenly) .

• @dhromed said:

resting on something unevenly

I hate it when that happens.

My leg goes to sleep.

• Notification Spam Recipient

TIL @ben_lubar likes topics from four years ago. Also, four years ago RP was hugely popular here at WTDWTF...

@ben_lubar said in Boomla:

@dkf said in Boomla:

DISTURBING PICTURE OF MORBIUSWILTERS

REDUNDANT WORDS!

Shit, I posted the wrong TDWTF text adventure!
    https://what.thedailywtf.com/post/203590

OH GOD I DID IT AGAIN

https://what.thedailywtf.com/post/201539