TDEMSYR

• kills Dumbledore

@jinpa said in TDEMSYR:

@Medinoc said in TDEMSYR:

From the Wikipedia page mentioning ASP.NET and my not thinking C# is bad, I'm starting to suspect Community Server was written in VB.Net.

VB.Net is fine. If you can write in VB.Net, you can write in C#. C-syntax snobs don't like it, but that's on them.

Yes and no. Some features have been added to VB in such a way as to make them horrible to use: when I was using it regularly I always had to look up the syntax for lambdas and array literal instantiation.

Most of the issues come from the desire to keep code looking nicer, so there are very few braces, angle brackets etc. leading to a massive overriding of parentheses

• Considered Harmful

@Medinoc said in TDEMSYR:

From the Wikipedia page mentioning ASP.NET and my not thinking C# is bad, I'm starting to suspect Community Server was written in VB.Net.

Worse, most of the front end is written in an atrociously bad .NET port of an already-shitty interpreted language.

• @error It didn't help that we were using an ancient, obsolete, unmaintained, free version. Newer versions (presumably) had at least some of the bugs fixed, but those cost money. (Apparently, there is still a free version of Community ServerTelligentVerity Community; not sure how it differs from the paid version, which is in the "We don't put the price on the web; you have to ask for a quote from our salescritter" category.)

• Considered Harmful

@HardwareGeek said in TDEMSYR:

It didn't help that we were using an ancient, obsolete, unmaintained, free version.

We're doing all of those too, except the free part. Rather, we pay exorbitant fees for them to support a past-end-of-life product.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Vixen said in TDEMSYR:

it probably has things like "there's no real way to check for null. so what you need to do is add the value to a known variable and see if the value actually changed and if it didn't you need to see if dividing a number by your possible null results in an exception because under addition null is zero, but under division it's one."

This is way too-specific a description for you to be making up....

• 🚽 Regular

@jinpa said in TDEMSYR:

VB.Net is fine. If you can write in VB.Net, you can write in C#. C-syntax snobs don't like it, but that's on them.

I've had to look (in a "helps us @Zecc you're our only hope" kind of way) at some VB.Net code recently.
    It was not a pleasant experience. Perhaps I am a C-syntax snob (though I'm fine with Python as well).