Let's do it in a complicated way

• @Tim G said:

I like this idea.  Have your data as pages of text and put them up on the web along with a sitemap as the "schema".  Then just do a "site:db.example.com" search.  You'd need to reversibly encrypt the pages, of course.

Do you happen to recall the exact date you turned evil?

• @Kittemon said:

it's at least conceivable that such a structure might work better for the desired purpose than a proper intersection table would.

I think we'll agree it's a very slim (and sharp) edge case.

@Kittemon said:

Of course, such advice is easily misunderstood by the clueless who are in search of advice.

We could debate that the advice (pros/cons) may not have been communicated properly... but all bets are off when it comes to the clueless.

@Sutherlands said:

"I'm not a <insert DB role here>"?

<unpedant>YessssSSSSSS! My work is done!</unpedant>

@TheCPUWizard said:

there is a difference [in SQLServer at least] between a "temporary table" and a "table variable"!

Not heard of the latter (I'm not an SQLServer bod) but grateful for the education, nonetheless.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Cassidy said:

@TheCPUWizard said:
    there is a difference [in SQLServer at least] between a "temporary table" and a "table variable"!

Not heard of the latter (I'm not an SQLServer bod) but grateful for the education, nonetheless.

Oracle has them, too, via user created types. (You speak a lot about PL/SQL, so I'm assuming you're familiar with Oracle.)

• @boomzilla said:

(You speak a lot about PL/SQL, so I'm assuming you're familiar with Oracle.)

You assume correct - I teach (Oracle) DBA and SQL but not PL/SQL. Useful link - the comparison to a Java array I can understand.

Can it work like a queue/stack? Are there pop/push/shift/unshift operations?

• @da Doctah said:

@Tim G said:

I like this idea.  Have your data as pages of text and put them up on the web along with a sitemap as the "schema".  Then just do a "site:db.example.com" search.  You'd need to reversibly encrypt the pages, of course.

Do you happen to recall the exact date you turned evil?

Practically new at it.  How am I doing?  Needs more extraneous XML?