News Flash: Firefox still stupid; Firefox support people also stupid

• ♿ (Parody)

@Rhywden said:

@dhromed said:
    @Rhywden said:

typed "firebug" into the search box.

"No addons found with such a name!" - right.

Unable to reproduce.
    Yeah, that's what I thought at first. A reboot seems to have fixed the issue. It seems as if the add-on plugin of Firefox was not able to connect to the internet. But instead of displaying an error, it simply failed silently. And the rest of the browser worked right off the bat. Very weird.

I've always found the Mozilla add-on search capabilities spotty at best, but mostly downright unusable. Of course, this is not a uniquely Mozilla thing. I regularly eschew a site's search box for using a site specifier in google.

• @Rhywden said:

Yeah, that's what I thought at first. A reboot seems to have fixed the issue. It seems as if the add-on plugin of Firefox was not able to connect to the internet. But instead of displaying an error, it simply failed silently. And the rest of the browser worked right off the bat. Very weird.

A remote website was showing bad results, so you thought to reboot your whole computer to fix it?? And that worked???

• @serguey123 said:

@dhromed said:

Unable to reproduce.

Isn't that very common among nerds?

This counts as an emergency.

• @Xyro said:

A remote website was showing bad results, so you thought to reboot your whole computer to fix it?? And that worked???

FFX has an internal searcher that uses remote calls to the addons DB. 

But it is a small mystery why that would be fixed with a reboot. Maybe some IP table DNS gateway refresh overflow shenanigans. IANANetworkadmin

I had problems with torrents dropping to 0 after half an hour. Updating the firmware of my ancient router, arguably the longest shot of all, fixed it.

• @dhromed said:

I had problems with torrents dropping to 0 after half an hour. Updating the firmware of my ancient router, arguably the longest shot of all, fixed it.

Long shot? That's the first thing I'd do.

• @fire2k said:

They are proposing an even faster schedule now. Somebody inside the project management must be really scared of chrome.

Perhaps they should rename it to FireHose?

• @dhromed said:

FFX has an internal searcher that uses remote calls to the addons DB.
    Also, it will only return results that are noted as supported in the current browser version, so it may fail to find a plugin that is in the process of being upgraded.

If your network connection fails between opening the Add-Ons window and searching, then it does in fact say “No results found,” which is technically correct. In this case, this is not the best kind of correct.

• @Xyro said:

@Rhywden said:

I stated that wrong, probably. I meant that not so much in a causal relationship than rather a chronological order.

The reboot was due to other issues.

• @Sir Twist said:

If your network connection fails between opening the Add-Ons window and searching, then it does in fact say “No results found,” which is technically correct. In this case, this is not the best kind of correct.

There's a difference though between (no results) found and no (results found).

• @El_Heffe said:

@Master Chief said:

Mozilla is a publicly traded company.
    Not quite, but they do get something in the area of $55 Million a year from Google.  So yeah, they've got people working full time on Fireofx and getting paid to do it, and they have a really shitty attitude toward their customers.

Speaking of Google, Mozilla's contract with Google expires at the end of this year.  Since Google makes their own browser that is quickly taking market share away from Firefox, I can't believe that Google would continue to pay millions of dollars to a compettitor.

I'd imagine Firefox will get a lot more humble if they have to start paying their own bills.

• @derula said:

The attitude of people on this forum is also complete shit.

What does that have to do with the price of rice in China? The open source community boasts about how much better being open source is, and how much more attention their software gets. But, when push comes to shove, the mentality comes down to either paying a bug bounty to get something fixed, or dealing with it, because it's a volunteer effort. Basically, they don't always practice what they preach, and frankly I got sick of it.

@derula said:

You like black and white thinking, don't you? You either have to be a fanboy or hate it.

Who said anything about it being a false dilemma? I just implied that I used to be a "fanboy", i.e., fanatical. For what it's worth, I still use open source products to this day, but I try to keep a healthy balance between free (as in "free....") and commercial products. Frankly, it has kept me more productive than when I was on one side of the fence or the other. So to answer your question, no I don't think in just black and white; I wade in the 256 shades of gray in between, as applicable.

@derula said:

Eh? I personally would rather be bitched at and receive nothing than pay money and receive nothing.

Personally, I'd rather just have the vendor produce a quality product, respect their customers (both paying and non-paying), and have reliable software. There are some products that I use that I need to pay for (e.g., Creative Suite, Mac OS X, etc); I pay for them because not paying for them is just too much hassle. If I truly felt that there was a reasonable open source alternative, I'd use that instead. But for me, open source is not yet there.

@derula said:

Yes, I'm still using Firefox. I do try others from time to time, and they do have some superior features in some areas.

I stuck with Firefox for quite a while, but for me I found that the browser became unstable given how I used it. And, since the way that I used it was directly related to how I worked (both personally and professionally), I decided to jump ship and began using Chrome. I still use Firefox for a lot of my development, since it is still more common than Chrome. But again, it comes down to balance and what works best for my productivity.

@derula said:

I'm even cool to accept the lesser flexibility in UI and certain UI features (i.e., the trait to middle-click everything including forward and back buttons. I need that quite often). What always brings me back though is the presence of ads inside flash apps. They're horribly annoying, and so far Firefox's AdBlock Plus seems the only one to be able to ban them correctly. (Though I'm still not sure how it does that)

The one thing that I love about Chrome is the feature to not automatically load Flash; it displays a gray box with a plug-in icon, and I have to click it for the flash content to display. Granted, the downside to this is that I won't know if the content is relavant or not until I enable it, but once I know I can either ignore it or click on it confidently. I'm sure there is something equivalent for FF. That is definitely their strongest area: they have a plugin for just about everything.

If I were to make any substantial gripe about their web browser, it's the bass-ackward shit you have to go through to get multiple versions of their web browser running in parallel on the same system in a sane way.

• @Master Chief said:

@El_Heffe said:

@Master Chief said:

Mozilla is a publicly traded company.
    Not quite, but they do get something in the area of $55 Million a year from Google.  So yeah, they've got people working full time on Fireofx and getting paid to do it, and they have a really shitty attitude toward their customers.

Speaking of Google, Mozilla's contract with Google expires at the end of this year.  Since Google makes their own browser that is quickly taking market share away from Firefox, I can't believe that Google would continue to pay millions of dollars to a compettitor.

I'd imagine Firefox will get a lot more humble if they have to start paying their own bills.

I understand the mentality behind most open source projects -- "you're getting it for free and the people doing the work are doing it for free, so you have no right to complain".  I don't like it, and I wish people had a little more integrity than that (ie, don't put out products unless you are really committed to making them good),  but I understand why things are the way they are.  The problem with Firefox is that they are taking in more than $100 Million a year and have quite a few people actually getting paid, and yet they still have a shitty attitude toward their users.  I can't imagine things are going to get any better when Google finally pulls the plug on the money train.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dohpaz42 said:

But, when push comes to shove, the mentality comes down to either paying a bug bounty to get something fixed, or dealing with it, because it's a volunteer effort. Basically, they don't always practice what they preach, and frankly I got sick of it.

Which is still better than many commercial products.

• @boomzilla said:

@dohpaz42 said:
    But, when push comes to shove, the mentality comes down to either paying a bug bounty to get something fixed, or dealing with it, because it's a volunteer effort. Basically, they don't always practice what they preach, and frankly I got sick of it.

Which is still better than many commercial products.

Which is TRWTF -- the fact that most commercial products are just as bad and poorly supported as most free products.

• @blakeyrat said:

@El_Heffe said:
    Speaking of Google, Mozilla's contract with Google expires at the end of this year. Since Google makes their own browser that is quickly taking market share away from Firefox, I can't believe that Google would continue to pay millions of dollars to a compettitor.

If FF is lucky, they'll get another year. If they're brilliant at negotiating, they'll get two. Past that? They'll either grovel to Microsoft for some Bing cash, or die.

Oh man. They're doing it: http://www.extremetech.com/internet/101851-firefox-now-with-added-bing-released It's a "test pilot"... riiight.

• @blakeyrat said:

Oh man. They're doing it: http://www.extremetech.com/internet/101851-firefox-now-with-added-bing-released It's a "test pilot"... riiight.
    I saw the story on another site about an hour ago and immediately thought "Holy Shit!! Blakeyrat predicted the future".

• @El_Heffe said:

Holy Shit!! Blakeyrat predicted the future
    And yet he keeps claiming to have no psychic powers!

• @Scarlet Manuka said:

@El_Heffe said:
    Holy Shit!! Blakeyrat predicted the future
    And yet he keeps claiming to have no psychic powers!

BA-DING

• @El_Heffe said:

@blakeyrat said:

I saw the story on another site about an hour ago and immediately thought "Holy Shit!! Blakeyrat predicted the future".

1. I just read the writing on the wall.

2) I never in a million years imagined Mozilla would actually do it, since it's run by foaming-mouth open source crazies. I figured it'd just lose its funding and start languishing like Thunderbird is.

Now the interesting thing is that we can gauge how well the negotiation with Google is going by how close this comes to being an actual product. If it's totally forgotten in a month, they got their contract extended.

• @blakeyrat said:

2) I never in a million years imagined Mozilla would actually do it, since it's run by foaming-mouth open source crazies.
    If Opera could do it...

• @blakeyrat said:

BTW I actually looked it up, and the two incompatible add-ons are: FiddlerHook 2.3.4.4 and Java Console 6.0.26. So Firefox didn't break Firebug by updating, it "only" broke Java and Fiddler. Brilliant. But hey, there's a Justin Bieber theme!

Firebug was indeed compatible, so I guess the Real WTF was me in this case.

I'm pretty sure that you said a while ago that Java was a huge WTF, so why are you still using it? :p

Oh, and another mini-WTF is you referring to Firefox as FF, it's actually Fx (http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/1.5.html the URL is as old as the cows, so it's not exactly something they've decided recently)

*erects flamewall against Blakeyrats expected outburst to my pedantic interjection*

• @ASheridan said:

I'm pretty sure that you said a while ago that Java was a huge WTF, so why are you still using it? :p

Because that wasn't my computer, it belonged to my employer. And they use WebEx, so it needs Java on it. And I'm not "still using it", I removed every Java app except WebEx.