There is no free lunch

• I still don't understand the high value she's placing on cookies that have already been paid for, for the purpose of being eaten.

• Couple possible explanations offered:

- Because people have been taking additional cookies to their desk, they run out.

- She plans to take them home

- She is the cookie monster

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@snoofle said:

"I don't want to see anybody taking cookies out of this room" - exact quote

• @Weng said:

...  I know a reservist marine who, as far as weather is concerned, prefers being deployed to Iraq to training in New Jersey.

Well, duh. It's NEW JERSEY!

•  I assumed C** was the OP being polite and substituting * for some letters in a profane word. (If you don't know what I mean, then go f**k yourself). But for the life of me, I can't figure out what the profanity would be, unless he misspelled "cock".

• Ooh, I got my very own Blakeyrant.

@blakeyrat said:

@intertravel said:
    More that it seems to me that USians are absolutely obsessed with a/c.

It seems to be that Euro-weenies are absolutely obsessed to cram the extremely large and diverse United States, a conglomeration of 50 independent States with widely-varying climates, cultures, and values into an extremely small bucket of stereotypes.

Let me see, how does this go?

Entering rant mode...
    Rant mode enabled.
    Entering expletive mode...
    Expletive mode enabled.
    Channelling Blakeyrat...
    Blakeyrat channelled.
    Setting English translation...
    English translation set.

Ah yes, here we go. You horse-cock-eater, you're so cunting illogical that cheese spelunking balloons. If you don't exdel deliberately misparse my god-buggering words to add pissing semantic content lacking in my original statement, you Bashi-Bazouk, then it would be immediately obvious that a nation can be mackerelingly obsessed with something in general without every individual necessarily being fucking so.

@blakeyrat said:

I don't even know anybody who owns an air conditioner. Which means either:

1) I'm not actually a "USian" (whatever the fuck that is)

2) Or you're full of shit and not all "USians" are obsessed with a/c.

Or, 3, that you're a scrotum, and it's a false dichotomy based on failing to understand simple bollocking English.

@blakeyrat said:

Here's a thought, Euro-weenie, maybe those countries you mention aren't obsessed with a/c because they can't afford to be? Gee whiz, Mr. Wizard, maybe if they could afford it, they'd have just as many a/c units as... whatever American stereotype you're carefully constructing requires. Maybe... just maybe... it has nothing to do with some "USian" character flaw, maybe it has something to do with economic factors? Did you even spend a fraction of a second thinking about that before painting with your broad brush?

Yes, and, shitting no. Maybe, gee, Mr Wizard, you're the one whose protozoan-level intelligence has led him to munting assume something that simply isn't true. Maybe it's possible that actually, globally, there are plenty of countries that anyone other than a nit-witted ninepin would realise are just as hot, humid and wealthy as the US, but use a metric fuckload less a/c?

Oh, and you're the slubberdegullion who put an interpretation of 'character flaw' on all this. The plainly ridiculous suggestion of a class A numpty: that USians have 'character' to be flawed...

@blakeyrat said:

BTW, this forum supports HTML tags. You can actually underline the damned text, if you want it underlined so bad. (But fair warning: people will complain they can't follow the link.)
    know   that, but it's about ninety-arse more keystrokes to bastard type the tags than a couple of underscores.

@blakeyrat said:

BTW BTW, what the fuck kind of tiny-ass office buildings do you have where you can open windows on all the floors? Similarly, what the fuck kind of weird-ass office work do you do that doesn't involve loose papers? Is your desk just like 90% paperweights and 10% work surface?

BTW, BTW, what the fuck kind of stupid-ass reading-comprehension-cunting-problems are you buggery-fuck suffering from? I've seen Cercopithecuses with better reading skills.

• @RHuckster said:

I'm in the northeast and I do have A/C, but it's only used between mid-May/June and mid-September at the latest, and it's often only on during the hottest times of the day (noon-4pm).
    Now that's what I'm talking about.

@RHuckster said:

The heat can get to the point where people with respiratory problems (heat also contributes to pollen, and other natural and manmade environmental pollutants) need A/C to avoid an asthma attack.
    But, to be clear, that's not. As I tried to make explicit, there are plenty of cases where a/c is a necessity. What surprised me was the idea of a/c being needed in an office where the windows open, and that kind of thing.

@C-Octothorpe said:

@pjt33 said:

My company is aiming to minimise aircon use this year because last year it would have been cheaper to have an intern dedicated to cooling the office with a large manual fan.

I'm currently working in a "green" building, and goddammit, it gets hot as balls in the office...  They cycle the A/C on and off, which is fine, but their threshold for switching it back on is about 5-7 degrees warmer what I would say is "comfortable".  It wouldn't be bad if it was *always* hot, but when it dips down to 69, then back up to a hazy 77 or 80 within 10 minutes, it's just too damn distracting, IMO.  And is it really saving that much energy to cycle between off for 15 minutes and blasting cold for 30?  Wouldn't it make more sense to just leave it on at a few degrees warmer?

That would drive me mad. I'd prefer to switch it off completely and open the windows, except the windows probably don't open, right? If you're going to have a/c, at least have proper a/c...

@Weng said:

Let me introduce you to my work office. Busted aircon. Open windows. Enough fans to make conversation impractical. 100 bloody fucking degrees on a 95 degree day and utterly insufferable.

That must be a really badly designed building, then. A well-designed building will be cool and pleasant even when it's over 100 degrees outside. Have a look at pictures of some of the old plantation houses from the Caribbean, for example - no a/c, so you get a layout that promotes airflow, big eaves to give shade, thick walls, and so-on. It's not rocket science.

@Weng said:

Furthermore, let me introduce you to my home office. No aircon, open windows, as much air moving as is practical to move. 100 degrees AT MIDNIGHT.

Is it still that hot outside at that point? I struggle to believe your midnight temps are that high. Again, a well-designed building would cool off at night.

• 🚽 Regular

@intertravel said:

As I tried to make explicit, there are plenty of cases where a/c is a necessity. What surprised me was the idea of a/c being needed in an office where the windows open, and that kind of thing.

So, it's 90 degrees in your office and you're swealtering, and your solution is to open the window to the 95 degree weather outside?

• @blakeyrat said:

Euro-weenies are absolutely obsessed to cram the extremely large and diverse United States, a conglomeration of 50 independent States with widely-varying climates, cultures, and values into an extremely small bucket of stereotypes. …

Europeans who don't do that... well. They don't exist. …

I don't even like the rest of the US. New York. California. Florida. Texas. Rust belt. All cesspools. Fuck them.

Obviously no stereotyping on YOUR part, then. But why do you get so worked up about people "insulting" the US(A) when you've just said you don't even like the rest of your country? Presumably it's OK for you to insult the US(A), but not OK for foreigners to do so?

• @Cad Delworth said:

Obviously no stereotyping on YOUR part, then. But why do you get so worked up about people "insulting" the US(A) when you've just said you don't even like the rest of your country?

Because they lump me in with the parts of the country I hate. ...wasn't that obvious? Hell, I think I explicitly stated it already in this thread.

What I really hate is some foreign tourist who goes to a fucking hell-hole like LA, then comes back and tells everybody he thinks that the US is a fucking hell-hole. No. Wrong. LA is a fucking hell-hole. The US contains fucking hell-holes, but it also contains really nice places where that tourist just didn't happen to spend any time.

Or even worse, they judge the US based on what they see on TV. Which is the product of fucking hell-holes like LA. And is vastly exaggerated to the point of ridiculousness, to boot. I don't think Japan is occupied by underage schoolgirls with superpowers who fight tentacle rape-monsters, but some people do seem to think the US is occupied by the images in our media. (I think Japan gets a pass because their fucked-up media is always animated.)

@Cad Delworth said:

Presumably it's OK for you to insult the US(A), but not OK for foreigners to do so?

People can do whatever the fuck they want. I just find it annoying as shit, and I call it out when I see it. See, we have this thing we're kind of proud of called Freedom of Speech. You can say whatever the fuck you want. Here's a shout out for the Germans in the group: Nazi Nazi Nazi Swastika Nazi SS Nazi fuck you

Edit: I also like to troll, and this kind of stuff is always good trolling material

• Wow, I take it all back. I thought Europeans were weenies, but then I saw Captain Euro, who is totally not-at-all a ripoff of Captain Planet. Wow, he looks like he can really kick some ass in that bright blue jogging suit and mall security hat! Oh wait...

@Captain EURO! said:

Captain Euro has taken a difficult vow: "To use, wherever possible, intellect, culture and logic - not violence - to take control of difficult criminal situations." Captain Euro is a diplomatic hero - the symbol of European unity and values.

Fuck that guy.

I bet his locator watch works really well using the European GPS netwo-- oh wait you don't have one, you use ours.

• @blakeyrat said:

What I really hate is some foreign tourist who goes to a fucking hell-hole like LA, then comes back and tells everybody he thinks that the US is a fucking hell-hole.

Tourists still go to the US? Clearly the DHS isn't doing its job well enough.

@blakeyrat said:

Edit: I also like to troll

We'd noticed.

• @blakeyrat said:

Captain Euro,

WTF is this shit?

• Garbage Person

@intertravel said:

@Weng said:
    Let me introduce you to my work office. Busted aircon. Open windows. Enough fans to make conversation impractical. 100 bloody fucking degrees on a 95 degree day and utterly insufferable.

That must be a really badly designed building, then. A well-designed building will be cool and pleasant even when it's over 100 degrees outside. Have a look at pictures of some of the old plantation houses from the Caribbean, for example - no a/c, so you get a layout that promotes airflow, big eaves to give shade, thick walls, and so-on. It's not rocket science.

Clearly you are unfamiliar with modern American architecture. Especially business architecture. Also, I hypothesize that if you fill an old plantation house with equipment dumping hundreds of watts of heat into the air (also known as 'computers') you'd quickly find they get HOT AS HELL.

@intertravel said:

@Weng said:
    Furthermore, let me introduce you to my home office. No aircon, open windows, as much air moving as is practical to move. 100 degrees AT MIDNIGHT.

Is it still that hot outside at that point? I struggle to believe your midnight temps are that high. Again, a well-designed building would cool off at night.

Once again, American architecture. Indeed, it's about 80 outside by midnight. A snow belt house will keep heat in just as well as it keeps it out.

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

I bet his locator watch works really well using the European GPS netwo-- oh wait you don't have one, you use ours.

We do have one. It's calld Galileo and comes out in 2007  2014  just before Duke Nukem Forever comes out  whenever the fuck the European Parliament agrees over the ever increasing costs.
    See, our bureaucracy process is clearly superior. In the US shit only gets done when the army demands it or some rich asshole like Dick Cheney makes a lot of money from it. Here in Europe nothing gets done at all.
    According to Futurama, we're so much closer to y3k than you.

• @topspin said:

We do have one. It's calld Galileo and comes out in 2007  2014  just before Duke Nukem Forever comes out  whenever the fuck the European Parliament agrees over the ever increasing costs.

Maybe you could get some of your goofy colorful money and chip in to help us replace some of the GPS satellites that are at risk of failing in the near future... it's not cheap for us either, you know.

Next time the EU complains about something the US does, we should send a GPS bill. I wonder what that would total to.

• Garbage Person

@blakeyrat said:

Maybe you could get some of your goofy colorful money and chip in to help us replace some of the GPS satellites that are at risk of failing in the near future... it's not cheap for us either, you know.
    This would actually be SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than building fucking Galileo. The US has specs for GPS satellites - contractors lined up and all - just have the EU buy and pay to launch and operate some, adding them to the existing GPS constellation. In exchange, the high-precision military mode gets opened to the other EU members, instead of just NATO. International cooperation - not rivalry. All Galileo would do is confuse consumers and reduce the ease with which our militaries can play nice together.

• @SQLDave said:

I assumed C** was the OP being polite and substituting * for some letters in a profane word. (If you don't know what I mean, then go f**k yourself). But for the life of me, I can't figure out what the profanity would be, unless he misspelled "cock".

Already mentioned in the thread, but I'm feeling kind (and also bored at work). It's sort of a generic euphemism for such profanities as CEO, CFO, CIO, COO, etc.

• @Scarlet Manuka said:

@SQLDave said:
    I assumed C** was the OP being polite and substituting * for some letters in a profane word. (If you don't know what I mean, then go f**k yourself). But for the life of me, I can't figure out what the profanity would be, unless he misspelled "cock".
    Already mentioned in the thread, but I'm feeling kind (and also bored at work). It's sort of a generic euphemism for such profanities as CEO, CFO, CIO, COO, etc.

Yes. I saw the references. I was joking (well, attempting to joke, anyway, and apparently poorly)

• BINNED

@Weng said:

International cooperation - not rivalry.

That would be way too easy.

The best thing about Galileo is: They actually think they're going to make money from it. How's that supposed to work out?? It will either be free or a huge fucking fail.

• @dhromed said:

@blakeyrat said:

Captain Euro,

WTF is this shit?

So sad it's hilarious?

EDIT: reading the Wikipedia page about it makes it even more sad, and as a result, even more hilarious :D

• @Weng said:

learly you are unfamiliar with modern American architecture. Especially business architecture.
    Why? Perhaps I am, because I'm not seeing the clear link, especially given that I've already said that I'm not talking about great big office buildings.

@Weng said:

Also, I hypothesize that if you fill an old plantation house with equipment dumping hundreds of watts of heat into the air (also known as 'computers') you'd quickly find they get HOT AS HELL.
    Er, no. The equipment used in plantation houses was (unfortunately) slaves. Humans give off way more heat than computers. That's also the answer to whoever asked about opening windows when it's hotter outside - if you don't, it'll rapidly be hotter inside. That's also why you can't keep cool by wearing a thick coat, however hot it gets.

@Weng said:

@intertravel said:
    Once again, American architecture. Indeed, it's about 80 outside by midnight. A snow belt house will keep heat in just as well as it keeps it out.
    Unless you open the windows and swap all the air over. Again, you seem to react like the part of the US you're talking about is the only place on earth with that range of weather.

• @topspin said:

@Weng said:

International cooperation - not rivalry.

That would be way too easy.

The best thing about Galileo is: They actually think they're going to make money from it. How's that supposed to work out?? It will either be free or a huge fucking fail.

Er, they're making a fortune from it. Where do you think all the money is going? Unless they're planning to launch a bunch of people's bank accounts into orbit, it hasn't gone on satellites.

• @intertravel said:

@Weng said:
    Also, I hypothesize that if you fill an old plantation house with equipment dumping hundreds of watts of heat into the air (also known as 'computers') you'd quickly find they get HOT AS HELL.
    Er, no. The equipment used in plantation houses was (unfortunately) slaves. Humans give off way more heat than computers.

Hmm.  Assuming the slavemasters were incredibly well-natured and nurturing toward their slaves, and fed them a full healthy adult male diet of 2200 kcals per day, those slaves were each taking in a little over 9.2 megajoules of energy per 24hr period.  Dividing that 9.2MJ by the 60*60*24 = 86400 seconds in one day suggests that those slaves could only be emitting heat at a rate of 106W, averaged across the whole day (unless you are positing that they either photosynthesized or had over-unity metabolic systems).  This suggests that humans emit somewhat less heat than any of your typical desktop or server rack computers.  That figure sounds actually sounds a little on the low side to my ears, and maybe they would have been fed a cheap high-energy diet to get more useful work out of them, but even at 3500 kcals per day the wattage rate only works out at 170W.  Wikipedia suggests that 100W is the basal metabolic rate (i.e. sleeping or resting) and 500W the peak output for prolonged hard physical labour, which slaves can only do for so many hours a day while computers can keep on pumping their heat out 24/7.  So I reckon ballpark-wise, humans put out less heat than computers, although of a similar order of magnitude; a half or a third as much, not as little as a tenth as much.

• Christ almighty, what is WRONG with you people?

• @DaveK said:

@intertravel said:

@Weng said:
    Er, no. The equipment used in plantation houses was (unfortunately) slaves. Humans give off way more heat than computers.

Hmm.  Assuming the slavemasters were incredibly well-natured and nurturing toward their slaves, and fed them a full healthy adult male diet of 2200 kcals per day, those slaves were each taking in a little over 9.2 megajoules of energy per 24hr period.  Dividing that 9.2MJ by the 606024 = 86400 seconds in one day suggests that those slaves could only be emitting heat at a rate of 106W, averaged across the whole day (unless you are positing that they either photosynthesized or had over-unity metabolic systems).  This suggests that humans emit somewhat less heat than any of your typical desktop or server rack computers.  That figure sounds actually sounds a little on the low side to my ears, and maybe they would have been fed a cheap high-energy diet to get more useful work out of them, but even at 3500 kcals per day the wattage rate only works out at 170W.  Wikipedia suggests that 100W is the basal metabolic rate (i.e. sleeping or resting) and 500W the peak output for prolonged hard physical labour, which slaves can only do for so many hours a day while computers can keep on pumping their heat out 24/7.  So I reckon ballpark-wise, humans put out less heat than computers, although of a similar order of magnitude; a half or a third as much, not as little as a tenth as much.

I was actually assuming something about the same figure for humans, but more efficient desktop PCs. Perhaps I was underestimating the amount a PC puts out, but I think modern, reasonably efficient desktop computers put emit less than 50W - server rooms, like food-storage cold-rooms in commercial kitchens, have to be cooled, but the person in an office using a PC is generally producing about the same amount of heat. In a plantation house, historically, there would be lots of slaves - or even once slavery was abolished, lots of cheap workers. Compared to most houses, which don't have many computers sitting there putting out heat all the time, I'd guess that the plantation houses were at least on a par with modern homes when it comes to the amount of heat being added from the activities taking place inside.

• 🚽 Regular

@DaveK said:

Hmm.  Assuming the slavemasters were incredibly well-natured and nurturing toward their slaves, and fed them a full healthy adult male diet of 2200 kcals per day, those slaves were each taking in a little over 9.2 megajoules of energy per 24hr period.  Dividing that 9.2MJ by the 60*60*24 = 86400 seconds in one day suggests that those slaves could only be emitting heat at a rate of 106W, averaged across the whole day (unless you are positing that they either photosynthesized or had over-unity metabolic systems).  This suggests that humans emit somewhat less heat than any of your typical desktop or server rack computers.  That figure sounds actually sounds a little on the low side to my ears, and maybe they would have been fed a cheap high-energy diet to get more useful work out of them, but even at 3500 kcals per day the wattage rate only works out at 170W.  Wikipedia suggests that 100W is the basal metabolic rate (i.e. sleeping or resting) and 500W the peak output for prolonged hard physical labour, which slaves can only do for so many hours a day while computers can keep on pumping their heat out 24/7.  So I reckon ballpark-wise, humans put out less heat than computers, although of a similar order of magnitude; a half or a third as much, not as little as a tenth as much.

So you're saying that slaves are more economical and energy efficient than computers both in their energy consumption and heat generation and we should all re-enact slavery in the interests of reducing our dependence on foreign oil?

YOU MONSTER!

• BINNED

@pjt33 said:

Apparently, they're working on it: [url]http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-safety-security/1223651-us-customs-abuses-elderly-uk-cruise-passengers.html[/url].

• @PedanticCurmudgeon said:

@pjt33 said:
    Apparently, they're working on it: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-safety-security/1223651-us-customs-abuses-elderly-uk-cruise-passengers.html.

Did you bother reading the comments? No, doesn't look like it.  Title should be "Elderly cruise passengers mad they had to get checked entering US."

• @Sutherlands said:

@PedanticCurmudgeon said:

@pjt33 said:
    Apparently, they're working on it: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-safety-security/1223651-us-customs-abuses-elderly-uk-cruise-passengers.html.

Did you bother reading the comments? No, doesn't look like it.  Title should be "Elderly cruise passengers mad they had to get checked entering US."
    Eh? It's a particularly egregious example of why you don't argue with border control. Instead of the usual way they handle it - complainers are given the full monty, all the way up to cavity searches if you piss them off enough - they targeted everyone in the group. It was stupid, no question. It made as much sense as if they cavity-searched everyone on a particular flight because one person was rude at border control.

• @intertravel said:

Eh? It's a particularly egregious example of why you don't argue with border control.

This X100...  Border control officers are god, well not really, but they are for that moment in time.  When that cold, latex-covered hand of justice has two fingers up you ass looking for heroin, who really cares that you'll take 'em to court in 6-10 months?

That being said, I know I wouldn't be able to keep my composure should a border guard decide to pull one of my daughters or wife aside...

• @intertravel said:

@Sutherlands said:

@pjt33 said:

Eh? It's a particularly egregious example of why you don't argue with border control. Instead of the usual way they handle it - complainers are given the full monty, all the way up to cavity searches if you piss them off enough - they targeted everyone in the group. It was stupid, no question. It made as much sense as if they cavity-searched everyone on a particular flight because one person was rude at border control.

Sigh... I guess you 2 didn't bother reading the comments either.  Here, try the second one (it's a long way down from the first one):
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16518812-post2.html

Or try one later on:

@Firebug4 said:

The fingerprints of both hands were taken as well as retina scans and a detailed check of the passport as well as questioning as to their background.

Passengers claim that the extra checks were carried out in “revenge” for what had been a minor spat over allegedly overzealous security.

That is describing what is done for every alien, with the exception of Canadians and certain other travelers that are on particular types of visas, that enters the United States at a port of entry. It is fingerprints and a picture not a retina scan. What else was done? They had to talk to the Immigration official. This process was no different than any other non-US citizen that is entering the United States. If it was reported that every passenger had their bags and their person searched, I would most definitely agree that something was not right. From my experience of doing this job, the problem stemmed from the computer system crashing. There is a back up for when that happens but it is no where near as fast as it involves laptops and old tech.

• @Sutherlands said:

@intertravel said:

@Sutherlands said:

@pjt33 said:

Sigh... I guess you 2 didn't bother reading the comments either.  Here, try the second one (it's a long way down from the first one):
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16518812-post2.html

Or try one later on:

@Firebug4 said:

The fingerprints of both hands were taken as well as retina scans and a detailed check of the passport as well as questioning as to their background.

Passengers claim that the extra checks were carried out in “revenge” for what had been a minor spat over allegedly overzealous security.

That is describing what is done for every alien, with the exception of Canadians and certain other travelers that are on particular types of visas, that enters the United States at a port of entry. It is fingerprints and a picture not a retina scan. What else was done? They had to talk to the Immigration official. This process was no different than any other non-US citizen that is entering the United States. If it was reported that every passenger had their bags and their person searched, I would most definitely agree that something was not right. From my experience of doing this job, the problem stemmed from the computer system crashing. There is a back up for when that happens but it is no where near as fast as it involves laptops and old tech.

I don't care what some commenter on the internet says, because it's plainly nonsense when you read the facts in the actual article linked. The passengers made multiple entries to the US - 15 times - and this was the only time this happened. As the cruise company spokesperson said: “The US has a record for the most stringent and thorough security and entry requirements in the world, and they felt the need to enhance their security checks further, which they have the power to do.”

I can't fathom for the life of me why anyone would argue with the obvious facts in this case. Are you suggesting that border/security guards aren't frequently mean-minded, vindictive little jobsworths? I don't think you're going to get much support for that idea.

• @intertravel said:

facts in the actual article linked.
    Ha, right, facts... so based on what a tourist said, you're taking as fact that:

1) Travellers had to take retinal scans

2) BP enhanced their security checks

3) They made 15 entries to the US

While what I'm taking as fact is:

1) "US Customs and Border Protection currently does not use retina scanners in Ports of Entry."

2) "The process they went through is the same for any arriving alien in a Port of Entry. The process was not any more stringent. The passengers were most likely arriving under the Visa Waiver process what is described is the process to enter under that program. They may have cleared US Customs at a prior stop in the United States. However, they were coming directly from a foreign port prior to arriving at the LA port. If they were coming coastwise from a US port US CBP would not even have been there."

3) http://www.pocruises.com/en/Cruises-2009-2010/CruiseUploadFolder/Arcadias-Grand-Alaska-Voyage-J103/?mode=itinerary - given by one of the posters on the board for this particular journey.

"So by the information that you supplied the passengers on that ship had only cleared US Customs on one previous stop that would be the first bolded port of call. The LA port of call was the next US port that US Customs would have to be cleared because they were coming from Canada. The next port of call in the US that will require US Customs would be the Port of Everglades again because they are coming from a foriegn non-US port. So out of the 17 or so US destinations on the list that you provided they only clear US Customs three times. "

But no, you're probably right.. I'm sure the newspaper got it exactly right.  After all, that's what sells!

edit:
    I'll just add this little bit in, see if you can answer it:

"I will again ask the question. What increased or enhanced security checks took place as payback or retaliation? The process described is exactly what happens with every arriving alien to the United States. Nothing extra at all. I understand the passengers think it was extra but they also reported retinal scanners that didn't exist too. It is easy to say this was extra. However, exactly what was the extra piece that was added as payback?"

• @RHuckster said:

@DaveK said:

So you're saying that slaves are more economical and energy efficient than computers both in their energy consumption and heat generation and we should all re-enact slavery in the interests of reducing our dependence on foreign oil?

YOU MONSTER!

me, now.

• ♿ (Parody)

A local paper ran a story on the British geezers, too. Sounds like there was plenty of blame to go around, prompted by a computer malfunction. Among other things:

"The situation worsened as the vessel permitted passengers to exit the cruise ship en masse, which overwhelmed the CBP processing area and created long queuing lines extending outdoors and onto the vessel's gangway," Harty said. "After a thorough review of the incident, CBP has instituted significant corrective actions and will meet with cruise line executives to ensure similar processing delays do not occur in the future."

• @intertravel said:

@serguey123 said:

@intertravel said:

@boomzilla said:
    @intertravel said:
    @snoofle said:
    Interestingly, some idiot opened several doors and windows (nobody knows why since they then went home),
    Honestly, I just don't understand that. Why would you need aircon if your windows open? Do you not have breezes where you come from? Or are you all so dehydrated from the air-con that you can't keep comfortable by sweating gently?
    That's funny. No, when it's 90+ degrees and 80%+ humidity, there's no such thing as "sweating gently." IIRC, you're in the UK, and my understanding is that it generally doesn't really warm up there.
    I knew someone would say that, so I really should have said this before, but no, I've lived all over the world, including in places considerably hotter and more humid than NY, and I just don't get the air-con thing. I'd much rather sit in a room with all the windows open and a nice breeze wafting through than be stuck in a hermetically sealed glass box. I suppose appropriate dress is also important - if you want me to wear a business suit, then I'll take the air-con :)

What places?  Look it doesn't help that I'm fat but I have lived in a place that is very hot and very humid and let me tell you that even if I don't like aircon I couldn't live without it on the summer and yes I have also used a breeze sometimes and it is ok sometimes (at nights perhaps) but at noon, dude, I wish I could be in the north pole

It occurs to me that what I really meant was 'I don't like air-con so you're all wrong!', but maybe it's a bit more subtle than that. More that it seems to me that USians are absolutely _obsessed_ with a/c. Sure, some buildings require it, because there's no air circulation - e.g. malls, theatres - but the idea of an office with windows which open needing a/c seems really odd to me.

Oh, so you've upgraded from a fallacious relativistic argument to the standard European elitist troll, with fabricated short-form nationality designation bonus.   Since I'm trying to finish up before I go home, I have time for only one rebuttal: fuck UKians.  That is all.

• @Weng said:

@intertravel said:

It occurs to me that what I really meant was 'I don't like air-con so you're all wrong!', but maybe it's a bit more subtle than that. More that it seems to me that USians are absolutely _obsessed_ with a/c. Sure, some buildings require it, because there's no air circulation - e.g. malls, theatres - but the idea of an office with windows which open needing a/c seems really odd to me.
    Let me introduce you to my work office. Busted aircon. Open windows. Enough fans to make conversation impractical. 100 bloody fucking degrees on a 95 degree day and utterly insufferable. I'm considering quitting if the fucking aircon isn't fixed shortly.

Furthermore, let me introduce you to my home office. No aircon, open windows, as much air moving as is practical to move. 100 degrees AT MIDNIGHT. I happened to be home during the day yesterday - it climbed to 115.

In New Jersey?  You need to weatherize your place.  In PA, it was just as hot recently, but without only the exhaust fan on it still didn't get above 80 in my home office-- with two servers running.  I have only R30 in the attic right now, but I just put in a radiant barrier last fall and it's helped tremendously on the hot days this year.

• @topspin said:

See, our bureaucracy process is clearly superior. In the US shit only gets done when the army GE or public unions demand it or some rich asshole like Dick Cheney George Soros makes a lot of money from it. Here in Europe nothing gets done at all.

According to Futurama, we're so much closer to y3k than you.

FTFY

• BINNED

@Sutherlands said:

@pjt33 said:

It wasn't my post; I just linked to it. If you disagree with the title, you might want to contact the people at flyertalk.com.

• You provided it as an example of why DHS is stopping tourists from coming to the US.  If you had meant "They're doing it by inspecting everyone that comes through" then you did a poor job of communicating that.  If you meant "They're doing it by being vindictive and petty", which I think is more likely, then my comment stands.

• BINNED

@Sutherlands said:

You provided it as an example of why DHS is stopping tourists from coming to the US.

I did no such thing. I provided it as an attempt to make a joke, which obviously failed miserably.

• @Weng said:

A snow belt house will keep heat in just as well as it keeps it out.

I remember an old Home Improvement episode where Tim the Tool(man) created a low pressure (exhaust fan over the front door) in his house and used a smoke machine to detect air leaks. Are your houses really that air-tight? Every house I know would leak horribly with that test. Every window has drains for condensation and there are multiple openings like exhaust fans in kitchen/bathroom. The window in the toilet room even has meshing on the top so it would never seal.

But then we just had our coldest June (equivalent to your December) day for a decade and it only got down to ~8 degrees C. :-)

• ♿ (Parody)

@Zemm said:

I remember an old Home Improvement episode where Tim the Tool(man) created a low pressure (exhaust fan over the front door) in his house and used a smoke machine to detect air leaks. Are your houses really that air-tight? Every house I know would leak horribly with that test. Every window has drains for condensation and there are multiple openings like exhaust fans in kitchen/bathroom. The window in the toilet room even has meshing on the top so it would never seal.

Older houses will likely have drafty windows, etc, but in general, yes. Bathrooms tend to have exhaust fans that are eventually vented through the roof. Likewise for kitchens that may have exhaust fans. Otherwise, the goal is to be pretty air tight. I've never seen anything like the condensation drains or meshing that you describe, though I suppose it's possible that sort of thing is common somewhere.

There's a huge industry of selling replacement windows for thousands of dollars (though I suppose that's taken a hit since the real estate bubble started deflating, and everyone's equity went down). One of the biggest selling points is the non-leakiness, but especially the insulating properties of the windows, which are usually double or triple paned. Most places get hot or cold enough, or both, that the insulation is a nice thing to have.

• @boomzilla said:

in general, yes.

I guess that's only applicable in regions with pretty bad winters?

My apartment at floor 3 (#define ground = zero) has sealable air vents that I always keep open. Only in winter do I sometimes close them because of cold draft, but we certanly don't get Canadian-style winters. -10 C° was about the worst we had last winter.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

@boomzilla said:
    in general, yes.

I guess that's only applicable in regions with pretty bad winters?

My apartment at floor 3 (#define ground = zero) has sealable air vents that I always keep open. Only in winter do I sometimes close them because of cold draft, but we certanly don't get Canadian-style winters. -10 C° was about the worst we had last winter.

Cold winters or hot summers. That's most of the country. Maybe someplace like Hawaii is different. I mean...you can open your windows, of course. Around here, there's usually a month or so in the spring and the autumn where all of the windows are open in the house, but otherwise, it's usually either too hot or too cold to do that. Closed up, the house stays really nice in outdoor temperatures from 40°F-60°F without any HVAC required. Much colder, and you need some heat, much warmer, and you need to open windows.

• @boomzilla said:

I've never seen anything like the condensation drains or meshing that you describe, though I suppose it's possible that sort of thing is common somewhere.

I took some photos (sorry, the wooden table wouldn't fit it in that room). Meshing. Window drains. But yeah, it rarely goes much below 10°C here and virtually never below 0°C, even in the middle of winter. Though when some Norwegians came to visit they thought it was freezing. "Didn't you invent the cold?" "The walls here are paper-thin!"

@boomzilla said:

Most places get hot or cold enough, or both, that the insulation is a nice thing to have.

I don't have any insulation in my house either, just a little sarking (which looks like thick aluminium foil) directly under the steel roof. There was a government rebate scheme that allowed people to get fat batts or solar hot water, but not both. We chose the solar hot water: our hot water bills have since been at the minimum. We also got PV cells too, so our power bill has been approximately halved.

@boomzilla said:

insulating properties of the windows, which are usually double or triple paned.

I've seen double-paned glass in floor-to-ceiling unopenable windows (businesses and hospitals), but I don't know anyone who owns them in a residential context!

• ♿ (Parody)

@Zemm said:

I don't have any insulation in my house either, just a little sarking (which looks like thick aluminium foil) directly under the steel roof. There was a government rebate scheme that allowed people to get fat batts or solar hot water, but not both. We chose the solar hot water: our hot water bills have since been at the minimum.

Bonus: your house didn't burn. I guess no insulation makes sense in the right climate. Maybe some old houses in the US don't have insulation (or as much as is typically recommended), but everyone generally has stuff in their attic, plus in the outer walls.

When we moved into our current house, they had about 3 inches of cellulose insullation, which was not nearly enough. I took out some of that (didn't bother out towards the eves) and put in fiberglass. Depending on where in the attic (because a lot is being used for storage) I've got between R13 - R40, which makes a huge difference in both winter and summer. I really need a better exhaust fan in the attic, but the HOA is a PITA about putting new holes in your roof, and I'm not keen to get up there myself, so it'll be a lot more expensive to get done.

@Zemm said:
    @boomzilla said:
    insulating properties of the windows, which are usually double or triple paned.
    I've seen double-paned glass in floor-to-ceiling unopenable windows (businesses and hospitals), but I don't know anyone who owns them in a residential context!
    I think you'd probably have to go out of your way to buy single paned windows in the US outside of antique stores. All of my windows are double paned (though they slide open, too).

• @boomzilla said:

I've got between R13 - R40, which makes a huge difference in both winter and summer.

My Dad did get the insulation and he says it makes a difference, even without AC. Climate does dictate design. I come from a state where there is a unique house design! I live in a low-set brick house, but it does have the veranda features, with concrete instead of planking. I'm always interested in alternative ways of doing things. :-) I had to look up what those R values are: I vaguely remember being given suggestions on how to get insulation up to some number but I don't remember what he said. It sounded expensive. :-/

@boomzilla said:

Bonus: your house didn't burn

So you did hear about our controversy then? Some of the insulation used was metal foil and installed incorrectly, which then shorted out electrical wiring, killing some people and burning down some houses. Some people blamed someone who has some cool dance moves.

@boomzilla said:

I really need a better exhaust fan in the attic, but the HOA is a PITA about putting new holes in your roof,

I don't have anything like that preventing that kind of stuff. I could paint my house hot pink if I wanted, and no-one could complain. I think the term here is "Body Corporate". Few houses in Australia have attics (even fewer have basements, though the space under a Queenslander could be considered an equivalent) but I do have "whirlybirds" on my roof to ventilate the ceiling cavity. I'm sure they make a difference: my neighbour has no sarking nor whirlybirds and his aircon couldn't keep up: mine could drive the temperature down enough to need to put on extra clothing even if it was 35°C outside! They are a similar rating too, around 6KW of cooling, though mine was brand new (had to install it due to heavily pregnant wife in summer - we used to be DINKY now we are almost a SITCOM). Blah.

• 🚽 Regular

@boomzilla said:

I really need a better exhaust fan in the attic, but the HOA is a PITA about putting new holes in your roof

Even if it's on a side not facing the street?