GMail storage WTF



  • So for more than 6 months I've been running very low on storage space on my email account (that's particularly annoying when you got lots of friends who just love sharing huge MP3s). Last week I got an international credit card and decided to buy a google storage plan, it's so cheap after all. So I boought it yesterday, today I turned on my computer and there it was, the meter on gmail's footer shows 27gb, that's right. But the graphical representation of 26% is an empty line. Someone should teach Google some basic math.



  • OK, the real WTF is my laptop's LCD screen and google's very bad choice of contrast.
    I had to change to a weird-colored theme so I could see the difference.



  • @atipico said:

    But the graphical representation of 26% is an empty line.

    Are you blind? Here, turned up contrast for you: (edit: wrote that before your second post, obviously. took me a while to make the picture.)



    Also, it nicely visualizes your JPEG artifacts.

    @atipico said:

    So for more than 6 months I've been running very low on storage space on my email account (that's particularly annoying when you got lots of friends who just love sharing huge MP3s). Last week I got an international credit card and decided to buy a google storage plan, it's so cheap after all.

    There's an easy (and free) solution: Download e-mail to your computer and delete the remote copy. There's also programs that do that automatically. If you think that "NO WAI GMAIL BROWSER BASED MAILING WAY BETTER THAN EMAIL CLIENTS!!!", you could also only delete those MP3 emails (or just delete the attachment after you downloaded it. Though I have no idea if Gmail does that. It's possible in Thunderbird).



  • I don't get a progress bar at all, just the text description of my storage. :( I feel unloved by Google!

    But seriously, if you're going to save a screenshot as a JPG (WTF #1) please set the compression slider higher than 50%. Because that looks like boiled ass.



  • @derula said:

    Are you blind?

    No, just myopic. And the light on my room is not very bright, and I'm lazy to change it. And the colors on the LCD screen of my laptop look different than on CRT displays.

    @derula said:

    There's an easy (and free) solution: Download e-mail to your computer and delete the remote copy. There's also programs that do that automatically. If you think that "NO WAI GMAIL BROWSER BASED MAILING WAY BETTER THAN EMAIL CLIENTS!!!", you could also only delete those MP3 emails (or just delete the attachment after you downloaded it. Though I have no idea if Gmail does that. It's possible in Thunderbird).

    Yes, but this easy solution is:

    • slow (last time I tried it, the speed wouldn't be anywhere near my total bandwidth)
    • risky (I trust my hard disks / CDs much less than gmail. I have my data on gmail since 2004, but lost a few HDs and CDs those 7 years)
    • unpractical (I can't access my emails from everywhere anymore, and the gmail search is amazingly fast)

    I can't delete only attachaments from gmail, so what I do is I redirect all my emails to yahoo and its infinite space but ugly interface, and delete the mp3's. But, as I've said, I have this address since 2004, so almost every website on the internet sends me messages and I'm so lazy, I've been promising myself I'll unsubscribe all those mailing lists and organize my inbox 7 years and 85k+ messages ago.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    But seriously, if you're going to save a screenshot as a JPG (WTF #1) please set the compression slider higher than 50%. Because that looks like boiled ass.

    I'd ask what's wrong with JPG, but I don't want to start a flame-war on... image file formats. Seriously.
    The compression was done by Vista Snipping Tool. It sits on my taskbar conveniently and loads faster than greenshot.



  • @atipico said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    But seriously, if you're going to save a screenshot as a JPG (WTF #1) please set the compression slider higher than 50%. Because that looks like boiled ass.

    I'd ask what's wrong with JPG, but I don't want to start a flame-war on... image file formats. Seriously.
    The compression was done by Vista Snipping Tool. It sits on my taskbar conveniently and loads faster than greenshot.

    You're welcome to use Snipping Tool, but... save as PNG when it asks.

    And flamewars over stupid shit is what we do here.



  • @atipico said:

    - slow (last time I tried it, the speed wouldn't be anywhere near my total bandwidth)

    I don't get that at all. Please clarify. What speed? Downloading emails? And that's slower than downloading the attachments via the browser?

    @atipico said:

    - risky (I trust my hard disks / CDs much less than gmail. I have my data on gmail since 2004, but lost a few HDs and CDs those 7 years)

    My oldest archived mail is from 2004 as well. Well I should add that an email client for me is also important because I have multiple email accounts.

    @atipico said:

    - unpractical (I can't access my emails from everywhere anymore, and the gmail search is amazingly fast)

    You can still use the web interface. Or like I'm doing it: Thunderbird deletes only mail from the server that is older than seven days. I have a USB stick with another Thunderbird on it to access the mail from different computers, this one does not delete the mail on the server at all. Downside is that I can't access all the sent mail on both clients. This could be fixed by using IMAP I suppose, but I'm lazy (and last time I checked, Thunderbird needed separate inboxes for multiple IMAP accounts, that kinda was a showstopper for me. Anyone knows if this has changed?). About the search, I'm having no issues with Thunderbird's built-in search. And I'm not even using the indexed one.

    @atipico said:

    I have this address since 2004, so almost every website on the internet sends me messages and I'm so lazy,

    Uhm? You wouldn't have to give it up. I also have a GMail account set up in Thunderbird. You could also configure it to not delete email on the server, so you can just specifically delete the MP3 emails from server, keeping the local copy.

    But yeah, anyway, just my opinion. If you like it better in your browser, that's your choice.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    And flamewars over stupid shit is what we do here.

    No, we totally don't, you dick!



  • @derula said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    And flamewars over stupid shit is what we do here.

    No, we totally don't, you dick!

     

    "Dick"? You gender-assuming moron!



  • @D-Coder said:

    @derula said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    And flamewars over stupid shit is what we do here.

    No, we totally don't, you dick!

     

    "Dick"? You gender-assuming moron!

    Well YOU'RE a counter-emancipatory idiot! Women like TOTALLY have a right to be called dicks as well.



  • @derula said:

    @D-Coder said:

    @derula said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    And flamewars over stupid shit is what we do here.
    No, we totally don't, you dick!
     

    "Dick"? You gender-assuming moron!

    Well YOU'RE a counter-emancipatory idiot! Women like TOTALLY have a right to have dicks as well.

    FTFY



  • @derula said:

    φακελάκι,
     

    Winning tag



  • @dhromed said:

    @derula said:

    φακελάκι,
     

    Winning tag


    I think my mission to balance the tag cloud is coming along really well.



  • Hai you guyz your totally off-topic you know



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Hai you guyz you're totally off-topic you know
     

    FTFY



  • @locallunatic said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    Hai you guyz you're totally off-topic you know
     

    FTFY



  • @derula said:

    @locallunatic said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    Hai you guyz you're totally off-topic you know
     

    FTFY

     

    I suppose blakey could have been saything that they had a 'totally off-topic' and that they were aware of that fact



  • @derula said:

    bupkis

    bupkiss

    FTFY.



  • @dhromed said:

    @derula said:

    φακελάκι,
     

    Winning tag

    Winning bag.

    FTFY.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @atipico said:
    @blakeyrat said:

    But seriously, if you're going to save a screenshot as a JPG (WTF #1) please set the compression slider higher than 50%. Because that looks like boiled ass.

    I'd ask what's wrong with JPG, but I don't want to start a flame-war on... image file formats. Seriously.
    The compression was done by Vista Snipping Tool. It sits on my taskbar conveniently and loads faster than greenshot.

    You're welcome to use Snipping Tool, but... save as PNG when it asks.

    This.



  • @atipico said:

    I'd ask what's wrong with JPG

    Wavelet compression. Turns out when you convert a picture to a bunch of sine waves* and then drop the highest-frequency ones (to save space), your text gets badly fuzzed and isn't crisp and readable anymore. For things like these screenshots, you can generally get comparable compression using PNG without fuzzing the text. Leave the Joint Photographic Expert Group's compression standard for photographs where you generally don't stare at individual pixels and expect crisp detail.

    (*Technically it's a discrete cosine transform, but really, the two waves are basically the same thing.)



  • @fennec said:

    @atipico said:
    I'd ask what's wrong with JPG

    Wavelet compression. Turns out when you convert a picture to a bunch of sine waves* and then drop the highest-frequency ones (to save space), your text gets badly fuzzed and isn't crisp and readable anymore. For things like these screenshots, you can generally get comparable compression using PNG without fuzzing the text. Leave the Joint Photographic Expert Group's compression standard for photographs where you generally don't stare at individual pixels and expect crisp detail.

    (*Technically it's a discrete cosine transform, but really, the two waves are basically the same thing.)

    Yeah, I think everyone knows why JPG artefacts exist. The question is more 'who gives a shit'? The screenshot looks perfectly readable to me.

    Actually, there's a thought: can we make a new type of captcha based on JPG artefacts? Either we'll make loads of money, or the spammers will find a way to clear-up JPG artefacts - win/win.



  • @dhromed said:

    @derula said:

    φακελάκι,
     

    Winning tag


    Thanks, you just reminded me of the worst movie I've ever seen in a cinema.



  • @Zemm said:

    @dhromed said:

    @derula said:

    φακελάκι,
     

    Winning tag


    Thanks, you just reminded me of the worst movie I've ever seen in a cinema.
     

    Hmm, looks like a fairly standard com/dram movie, starring...

     

    [url="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001757/"]Kevin Sorbo[/url]

    Really? I didn't think he was still allowed in movies. I mean, ffs, even his head shot is too embarrassed to show his face:




  • @Lorne Kates said:

    Really? I didn't think he was still allowed in movies. I mean, ffs, even his head shot is too embarrassed to show his face:

    The head-shot thing is hilarious (your link is broken though).

    Kevin Sorbo always struck me as the kind of guy who by all rights should have had a successful movie career and never managed to make it work... he did ok on TV, I guess, he just didn't make the leap to movies very well. Maybe he's a real asshole behind the screen, I dunno.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Maybe he's a real asshole behind the screen, I dunno.
    Maybe he doesn't put out.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Maybe he's a real asshole behind the screen, I dunno.

    You are talking about some of the other actors in that movie, so this very well could be true.



  • @serguey123 said:

    @derula said:

    @D-Coder said:

    @derula said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    And flamewars over stupid shit is what we do here.
    No, we totally don't, you dick!
     

    "Dick"? You gender-assuming moron!

    Well YOU'RE a counter-emancipatory idiot! Women like TOTALLY have a right to have dicks as well.

    FTFY

     

    Women can have MY dick any time they want it. (Sadly, that's not very often)



  • @SQLDave said:

    @serguey123 said:

    @derula said:

    @D-Coder said:

    @derula said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    And flamewars over stupid shit is what we do here.
    No, we totally don't, you dick!
     

    "Dick"? You gender-assuming moron!

    Well YOU'RE a counter-emancipatory idiot! Women like TOTALLY have a right to have dicks as well.

    FTFY

     

    Women can have MY dick any time they want it. (Sadly, that's not very often)

     

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byDiILrNbM4


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.