Recursive OS install - best idea ever!



  • This dude wants to install Windows under Wine in Ubuntu - in order to remove Ubuntu! Check it out:


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

     .... Ya know, theoretically, that would probably work



  • It's possible for a userspace program to reformat a harddrive and copy an operating system onto it, yes.  However, the installer would have to be designed to use the Linux headers to do so, and I'm guessing it isn't.



  • @veggen said:

    This dude wants to install Windows under Wine in Ubuntu - in order to remove Ubuntu! Check it out:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1701360

    If the dude finds Linux too tricky, maybe he should just install Cygwin under Wine and use that instead.  Then he could use that to run Wine under Cygwin under Wine on Ubuntu.  The familiarity of now running Wine under Windows instead of under Ubuntu should make things far less complicated for the OP, as when it comes time to install Windows under Wine under Cygwin under Windows under Wine, it'll be as if there's practically no Ubuntu there at all!




  • @veggen said:

    This dude wants to install Windows under Wine in Ubuntu - in order to remove Ubuntu! Check it out:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1701360

    Also, he is asking on an OSS forum for help with installing pirated software (or so it seems). He's going to make lots of friends!



    Btw, I somewhat agree with him on what he responded to your comment in that forum.



  • You dawg, I heard you like OSes...



  •  @derula said:

    @veggen said:
    This dude wants to install Windows under Wine in Ubuntu - in order to remove Ubuntu! Check it out:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1701360

    Also, he is asking on an OSS forum for help with installing pirated software (or so it seems). He's going to make lots of friends!



    Btw, I somewhat agree with him on what he responded to your comment in that forum.

    There are ways to get Windows as an iso (download) that's not pirated.  I have a Win7 iso this computer (my work computer) that I got through my MSDN subscription.  I can generate up to 10 keys for each version of Win7, as long as they're for work purposes.



  • @powerlord said:

     @derula said:

    @veggen said:
    This dude wants to install Windows under Wine in Ubuntu - in order to remove Ubuntu! Check it out:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1701360

    Also, he is asking on an OSS forum for help with installing pirated software (or so it seems). He's going to make lots of friends!



    Btw, I somewhat agree with him on what he responded to your comment in that forum.

    There are ways to get Windows as an iso (download) that's not pirated.  I have a Win7 iso this computer (my work computer) that I got through my MSDN subscription.  I can generate up to 10 keys for each version of Win7, as long as they're for work purposes.

    Or you can just buy a download from Microsoft: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/productID.216644600/parentCategoryID.44066700/categoryID.50726100/list.true

    But really, what are the odds this guy bought it?



  • The problem the poster is having is that the Windows CD won't boot, so he or she is trying to install Windows through Wine:

    Okay well if thats impossible then im screwed.

    ive tried making bootable discs but cant get them to work, when i
    re-boot my computer with the disc in, it just gets stuck on a black
    screen with a flashing blip i the top left, then starts ubuntu as
    normal. Before you ask, yes, my disc drive is top of the boot list in my
    bios, and ive tried to force boot from the disc.
    I wouldn't expect Wine to be able to pull this off.  Apparently, it couldn't.



  • @powerlord said:

    I have a Win7 iso this computer (my work computer) that I got through my MSDN subscription.

    I have a Windows XP installed in a VM, a Win7 (English version) installed on real hardware as gaming system, a Win7 (German version) on my laptop. The Win7 I have at home has been installed over Vista which in turn was installed over Server 2008 (iirc). All were legally downloaded ISOs from MSDNAA. But:
    @jordanC said:

    yeah im trying to use a downloaded version, but it worked on my mates computer so theres no reason why mine shouldnt.

    Sound like legal? Not to me.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @powerlord said:

    There are ways to get Windows as an iso (download) that's not pirated.  I have a Win7 iso this computer (my work computer) that I got through my MSDN subscription.  I can generate up to 10 keys for each version of Win7, as long as they're for work purposes.
    I was unaware you could still get physical Windows disks any way other than with a prefab PC or in an OEM systembuilder pack.

    ... Seriously, they still sell boxed copies?



  • @Weng said:

    ... Seriously, they still sell boxed copies?
     

    You never go into stores, do you?

    I'm going to get an upgrade online, I think.

    Someday.

    7-SP1 out yet?



  • @dhromed said:

    7-SP1 out yet?


    Yes, for a while. Since a few weeks, 2008R2-SP1 too. But you know that.



  • @bannedfromcoding said:

    But you know that.
     

    How would I know that? FYI, I'm still on XP and am just taking my time before I upgrade.

    Good chance I'll upgrade solely because of some game that requires DX10.



  • @bannedfromcoding said:

    @dhromed said:

    7-SP1 out yet?


    Yes, for a while. Since a few weeks, 2008R2-SP1 too. But you know that.

    But it's not in Windows Update for everybody yet, it's still trickling down. (Unless you update to it manually.) (Actually, new installs might get it on their first update.)



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @bannedfromcoding said:
    @dhromed said:

    7-SP1 out yet?


    Yes, for a while. Since a few weeks, 2008R2-SP1 too. But you know that.

    But it's not in Windows Update for everybody yet, it's still trickling down. (Unless you update to it manually.) (Actually, new installs might get it on their first update.)

    SP1 wasn't showing up for me in Windows Update, but then I downloaded an update that updated the Windows Updater and then SP1 showed up.

     



  • @El_Heffe said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    @bannedfromcoding said:
    @dhromed said:

    7-SP1 out yet?


    Yes, for a while. Since a few weeks, 2008R2-SP1 too. But you know that.

    But it's not in Windows Update for everybody yet, it's still trickling down. (Unless you update to it manually.) (Actually, new installs might get it on their first update.)

    SP1 wasn't showing up for me in Windows Update, but then I downloaded an update that updated the Windows Updater and then SP1 showed up.

     

    I just checked my work computer, and it's available now... so I guess it's probably open for everybody now. Yesterday it wasn't.



  • @powerlord said:

    There are ways to get Windows as an iso (download) that's not pirated.  I have a Win7 iso this computer (my work computer) that I got through my MSDN subscription.  I can generate up to 10 keys for each version of Win7, as long as they're for work purposes.

    I have an msdn subscription as well.  I tend to find a lot of developers get "confused" in regards to the licensing.  They tend to "think" that they can just install the software everywhere.  I've seen dev's talk about giving burned discs to friends or generating keys for them.  I think a lot of the pirated iso out there come from MSDN subscriptions.  Especially products like visual studio which come pre-pidded. 



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @El_Heffe said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    @bannedfromcoding said:
    @dhromed said:

    7-SP1 out yet?


    Yes, for a while. Since a few weeks, 2008R2-SP1 too. But you know that.

    But it's not in Windows Update for everybody yet, it's still trickling down. (Unless you update to it manually.) (Actually, new installs might get it on their first update.)

    SP1 wasn't showing up for me in Windows Update, but then I downloaded an update that updated the Windows Updater and then SP1 showed up.

     

    I just checked my work computer, and it's available now... so I guess it's probably open for everybody now. Yesterday it wasn't.

     

    It's Tuesday. Microsoft stuff usually happens on Tuesdays.



  • What should be possible: Resize Linux partition (this should be possible without rescue CDs, you can boot to initrd, mount root and copy required stuff to RAM, umount and then resize), create partition, copy Windows install images to it, add bootloader to that partition, add GRUB entry to chainload that loader. Reboot


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @dhromed said:

    @Weng said:

    ... Seriously, they still sell boxed copies?
     

    You never go into stores, do you?

    Actually, no, I don't. I haven't been in a retail electronics store in ages. Hell, the only stuff I've bought B&M in the past year or so has been food, clothing and car parts.



  • @Weng said:

    @dhromed said:

    @Weng said:

    ... Seriously, they still sell boxed copies?
     

    You never go into stores, do you?

    Actually, no, I don't. I haven't been in a retail electronics store in ages. Hell, the only stuff I've bought B&M in the past year or so has been food, clothing and car parts.

    So you're really qualified to comment on whether Windows is sold in stores. Thanks for contributing.

    It's sold at all electronics stores, all office supply stores, most department stores (Target, Fred Meyer, possibly Wal-Mart), Costco... it's pretty much sold everywhere.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    So you're really qualified to comment on whether Windows is sold in stores. Thanks for contributing.
    No problem. Glad I could help.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.