There is a God

• @Nexzus said:

@blakeyrat said:

Why is Bashir at the top? That genetic engineered brain thing? I liked Bashir. Plus he's the only Arab in the ENTIRE UNIVERSE (apparently), so respect!

Captain Robau was played by an Arab actor, though the character was supposedly born in Cuba and raised in the Middle east.

And that is... who?

• @blakeyrat said:

@Nexzus said:

@blakeyrat said:

Why is Bashir at the top? That genetic engineered brain thing? I liked Bashir. Plus he's the only Arab in the ENTIRE UNIVERSE (apparently), so respect!

Captain Robau was played by an Arab actor, though the character was supposedly born in Cuba and raised in the Middle east.

And that is... who?

The captain of the ship Kirk's father served on in the new J.J. Abrams Star Trek prequel movie thing.

He died about five seconds into the movie. I had no idea there was such a backstory for him.

• @Someone You Know said:

The captain of the ship Kirk's father served on in the new J.J. Abrams Star Trek prequel movie thing.

He died about five seconds into the movie. I had no idea there was such a backstory for him.

Ok, maybe we could limit the discussion to characters who are on-screen for longer than a full minute?

Not only did I not know that guy had a backstory, I didn't even know he had a *name*. Seriously. He has like 2 lines before he dies. I just assumed the script read "Captain About To Die: I'll beam to your ship"

• Trekkies can be a bit crazy. Someone probably even spent the time to come up with the life history of every single redshirt who ever died in The Original Series.

• @blakeyrat said:

@da Doctah said:
    Trek universe doctors in decreasing order of WTFness:

• Bashir
    • Pulaski
    • Phlox
    • Voyager Emergency Medical Hologram
    • McCoy
    • Crusher

None of these.  I've got no problem with exceptional intelligence (in fact, the reason I haven't replied before now is that I was off at a meeting of friends from Mensa).  And assuming Arabs ever decide to develop an interest in space exploration, I'm perfectly in favor of that.

It's just that he's so boring.  I've got a webpage (that needs updating since it doesn't include any Voyager or Enterprise content) listing ways you can tell this is going to be a bad Stardate.  One of the top items is "the holodeck won't let you exit a 24-hour program entitled A Day At The DMV With Julian Bashir".

• @da Doctah said:

None of these.  I've got no problem with exceptional intelligence (in fact, the reason I haven't replied before now is that I was off at a meeting of friends from Mensa).

Ha. Hahahaha. HAHAHAHAHA. Hah.

• @blakeyrat said:

@da Doctah said:
    None of these.  I've got no problem with exceptional intelligence (in fact, the reason I haven't replied before now is that I was off at a meeting of friends from Mensa).

Ha. Hahahaha. HAHAHAHAHA. Hah.

Thought you might find that amusing.

• @da Doctah said:

It's just that he's so boring.
    Boring??  I love Bashir!  Just all the intruige with Garak makes him a very interesting and real character. I mean, everyone is boring compared to Sisko (what a guy!) or Dukat (what a villain!) but Bashir was way more interesting than Jadzia Dax, whose fans I don't understand.  I found his childish holodeck programs pretty hilarious, and I admire the character's dedication to the medical sciences and to his friendship with O'Brien, and relate to his not-so-secret desire to be recognized and admired by his peers.  (As well as his awkwardness.)

•  +1 Garak interestingness.

Also, I loved Dukat's curveball when he was having a hefty discussion with Kira:

KIRA: (shaking with rage) We will never have an intimate relationship.
    DUKAT: (victorious grin) But, my dear, we already have an intimate relationship.

Unlikely to be the exact wording, but it's from memory. I assume there's something of the like in this weird and tasteless compilation video, but I'm at work without sound so I can't investigate as thoroughly as I'd want to.

And not to mention the crazy Sisko alternate universe episode where the cast is transported to 20's or 30's America.

• @snoofle said:

My sister in law comes from a long line of alcoholics. After 45 years, she finally succumbed and got in way too deep. We finally persuaded her to go to AA. She now goes to 3 meetings a day and blindly does what they tell her to do (a little too cult-like IMHO, but whatever). Unrelated, she is also a S-L-O-B.

They have 6 small-to-modest sized dogs and a cat. <snip>l; Mostly, they (the dogs) use the kitchen floor as a bathroom.

This past weekend, the kids <snip> the kitchen was mostly covered in piddle. My sister in law sloshes - sans shoes - through this. When we pointed out that maybe, just maybe, she might consider cleaning it up, she goes off on us so we decide to leave.

As we turn to go, we hear her slip and a loud *splat* - she landed face down in it.

There is a God!

I used to respect you.

First, the proper thing to do, upon being yelled at for commenting on her priorities, would've been to call CPS.  But that probably should've been done much before this.  So long as there is a related family that is both willing to take in the kids and is clearly not in danger of becoming a CPS problem themselves, they don't take kids from the families.  Admittedly, y'all may want to take note of your own living arrangements; if you have let this situation get this bad, you may have also become complacent about problems in your own house.  "We're not as bad as my sister-in-law" and all.  However, there's a tremendous difference between healthy and what you've described above.  And the longer you delay in addressing the situation, the more likely neighbors will call CPS, and report that the whole family is incapable of caring for kids.

Second, 12 hours of AA meetings a day is not possible.  She's doing *something* other than AA meetings.

Third, "piddle" is slipperier than water; it takes no God, just physics.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.