I need you to switch servers because I refuse to pay the host and they could shut us down

• Doesn't sound like this co. will be around long.

Polish up that resume....

•  How its going, I wouldn't say that would matter, probably even as expected, considering the number of other companies his boss has got. Maybe he's following the typical company scam? Start company, get company good enough to obtain credit, then rake in as much as possible before closing the company and opening another. It seems to take years before you get banned from being able to open another company, and then you just get your wife to do it for you and you be a director, then you pay someone else to do it, offering them a %age of the company "when it gets off the ground", etc, add infinitum. 

I actually knew someone who bought established companies that were struggling for the simple reason of using them for credit.

•  Man, I feel your pain. How about getting a decent .net book, a "100 .net projects" book and making the most interesting 20 of them to get into the C# world? All you need then is some hard work and bam, you're having a new entry in your CV. With a portfolio. And write it as a "1 year experience", because the learning curve is steep during that first month.

This is how I got a job once, switching from Java to PHP in about 4 weeks. The company took me despite the fact that during the interview I wrote "final" all over the classes, and declared unnecessary getters and setters for all "public" variables (note: php4 was still the most current version, so the object programming was a little weird). 

Do it for yourself, man.

• @rfsmit said:

@DaveK said:
    Yeah, I see what I did there.  It should have been "grocers's' apostrophe", right? ;-)

Hehe. "MacDonald's" is the brand, so restaurants belonging to them are "MacDonald's's restaurants", right? And multiple franchises should be "MacDonald'ses' restaurants". I came up with one recently where you should write "MacDonald's's's", according to strict grammatical rules. Can't for the life of me remember how on earth I arrived at that, but I'm sure it involved some sleight of hand.

Heh, ya got me.  It should of course have really been "grocers's' apostrophes"!

• @Kiss me I'm Polish said:

This is how I got a job once, switching from Java to PHP in about 4 weeks.
    I actually got offered a Job doing almost that. I wrote a complete software log type application in PHP - you could log all your software, software versions & issues, etc. It also had a knowledge base, search functions, and the like. Took me a month to write and I think it worked quite nicely. Looking back at it now and, although it does the job it was intended for, the code needs a desperate rewrite as its just awful. It's never been used since that mad 4 - week coding marathon though.

However, I put that experience on my CV and got offered a job where they mostly use Perl, which I didn't have any experience in. When I was asked why, they just said "Well, you seem to have a good knowledge of scripting languages, so we don't think it'll take you long to learn Perl whilst your here". 

• @they said:

Well, you seem to have a good knowledge of scripting languages, so we don't think it'll take you long to learn Perl whilst your here
    Perl is the only scripting language I' ve exposed myself to<font size="1">*</font> which has a syntax that goes against you rather than help you.

I've given up learning Perl, and I don't regret it.

<font size="1">* I know what you're thinking. Grow up.</font>

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@ObiWayneKenobi said:

He just tells me that "we didn't switch things fast enough in December" and that's why we're having these problems now.. not because, you know, he's trying to cheat Amazon.  Noooo it's my fault for not doing this way back in December.
    Any updates? Have you left yet?

•  I'll bet he doesn't have Internet access anymore because the place closed and he hasn't been paid.

• @rfsmit said:

Hehe. "MacDonald's" is the brand, so restaurants belonging to them are "MacDonald's's restaurants", right? And multiple franchises should be "MacDonald'ses' restaurants". I came up with one recently where you should write "MacDonald's's's", according to strict grammatical rules. Can't for the life of me remember how on earth I arrived at that, but I'm sure it involved some sleight of hand.

Like ignoring the fact that you never use more than one possessive apostrophe in English.

If that bothers you, you should say, "McDonald's Corportation's restaurants."

• Sadly I haven't left yet, because I don't have another offer. As I said before I had 3 interviews with a promising company but in the end they went with someone else. So my resume it out circulating but there are never a lot of jobs here, and the ones that I do find want 5+ years of C#; I have maybe 2 if I stretch it, but those 2 years are from 3 years ago.

Had a meeting yesterday at the office for ANOTHER business that he's starting, the one that's supposed to be the multi-million dollar one that will set me for life. I find it so funny that he works like this because he has over 20 years in IT, at the executive level. He was VP for several companies and in charge of all their IT stuff, but he wants to send everything to India and keep costs down, probably as others have said so he can just close up shop when things go south and then start up another business.

As soon as I get a better offer I'll take it, but with rent and bills and car payment, I can't just tell him to go F himself and quit. The main problem I face right now is I have no real free time to do any self study since he calls me even when I'm not working, and not to mention having to be up every night until 2-3am or so in case the Indian team needs anything. It doesn't leave much time for me to sit and play around with the new .NET stuff.

Funnily enough I submitted the full, longer story of some of this stuff to the site (and you may remember the first part as "Hot Water Costs Money" - the guy in that story is this guy's friend and partner on most of these businesses). I have a laundry list of WTFs from these people, not even counting the 5-6 different businesses they've come up with since I've known them (most of which never got off the ground, like the USB stick that had medical information on it, or the "funny money" PayPal but not PayPal thing backed by some bigshot, or the move to create a nonprofit to get people affordable healthcare [a total scam, it was only for publicity], or the festival they said Al Gore was going to attend)

The funny thing is.. I wouldn't really mind working with this guy if he actually wanted to have a legitimate company; I would be much more enthusiastic and offer him my advice and whatnot. It's the fact that he doesn't want a real company, but a get rich quick scheme, that has me pissed in the first place. Well, that and the fact that I've told him time and time again I'm not a Linux sysadmin, I don't want to be a Linux sysadmin, but he wont' spend the resources to hire a real syadmin for all of our Linux servers, and then wonders why it's insecure or not configured right (answer being because I just Google how to do X and follow the instructions there)

• @operagost said:

@rfsmit said:

Like ignoring the fact that you never use more than one possessive apostrophe in English.

Wooosh! 

@operagost said:

No, I don't think you should say "corportation".  Not until someone invents a meaning for it, anyway!  (Heh, Muphry's law strikes again!)

• @ObiWayneKenobi said:

I find it so funny that he works like this because he has over 20 years in IT, at the executive level. He was VP for several companies and in charge of all their IT stuff, but he wants to send everything to India and keep costs down,

This reminds me of someone who was, at one time, my client boss' boss' boss' boss' boss' boss, or something like that.  The guy really seemed to believe that people were as interchangeable as ideal cogs in a machine.  It didn't matter *who* was doing the work, as long as there was someone being paid to do it.  Ideally, one would pay another company to do the work, because companies aren't real people, and so it's ok if you don't pay them.

Nevermind the fact that this was at a VBC with sufficient money to be able to pay highly talented people a competitive wage.

• Sometimes I think that the only reason some of these people can make any money at all is by screwing other people over. They simply do not deserve to be in business.

This suggests that the people that put them there -- i.e. the bank managers  who gave them that startup loan -- aren't doing their jobs properly. Now where did I hear that kind of thing before?

• @DaveK said:

@operagost said:

@rfsmit said:

Wooosh! 

Heh. Add that to the fact you can! I give you: "O'Reilly's". You might argue the first is not a possessive apostrophe, and that's fair enough. The one in "MacDonald's" isn't possessive; it's part of a name.

@operagost said:

No, I don't think you should say "corportation".  Not until someone invents a meaning for it, anyway!  (Heh, Muphry's law strikes again!)

And I don't think you should say "McDonald's" until they start selling the "Big Mc". Daft buggers.

• @DaveK said:

@operagost said:

Rule #84: If a word is used that isn't yet defined, then it means "poop."  Rule #84 makes the internet fun again.

• @bstorer said:

@DaveK said:

@operagost said:

Rule #84: If a word is used that isn't yet defined, then it means "poop."  Rule #84 makes the internet fun again.

@operagost said:

If that bothers you, you should say, "McDonald's Poop restaurants."

It works! :-D

• The original phrase is "Fair Deuce". The "dos" in the contemporary form of the expression is actually how most people (Americans) pronounce deuce and has no relation to the verb do.

• @Mme. Sugar said:

The original phrase is "Fair Deuce". The "dos" in the contemporary form of the expression is actually how most people (Americans) pronounce deuce and has no relation to the verb do.

You joined up just to say that?  Obvious sock is obvious.  And urbandictionary.com is not a credible reference source for etymology.

• @Mme. Sugar said:

The original phrase is "Fair Deuce". The "dos" in the contemporary form of the expression is actually how most people (Americans) pronounce deuce and has no relation to the verb do.

Most Americans do not pronounce "dos" and "deuce" the same way.

• I figure I'll give everyone an update.

So January rolled around... and he was late on payment. I got my paycheck for the entire month of January (and as a contractor, NOT as an employee, despite the fact I was supposed to be an employee) on January 30th. The new company, that supposedly had some big investors (Yeah, I've heard that before), didn't have their payroll set up yet. No biggie, he says, they'll do it and you're going to be set. February comes, and no paycheck on the 15th. It gets closer to the 28th.. still nothing. I ask him repeatedly what's going on, finally he tells me that the investors refused to pay either of us until he delivered some software that he told them I was working on but I really had nothing to do with (it was all the Indian team). So he gave it to them, and they still refused to pay. So, he says, the company that I've been doing the work for (but don't technically WORK FOR) would give me $750 and these investors/partners/whatever they are would give me the rest. I got my February check on March 3rd, and he tells me that "We should look for other sources of income for March 15th. I have some other projects in mind." I pretty much told him go fuck yourself, I'm done here. I'll wrap up whatever I need to, and then I'm finished. So that's where I am now. I finished everything up on Monday... and he claims the last check covered me through the 15th of March even though it was only 1 month's worth of pay - so basically I worked from March 1st through the 15th on wrapping things up... and I'm not going to get paid for it. He still hasn't sent me my W-2 either, claiming that he didn't have the money to pay the bookkeeper (he supposedly was on the phone with her on Monday).

So that's where things are. I'm now out of work, have maybe enough money for rent for April if I'm lucky (and maybe not for electric/cable), and I'm probably going to lose my new apartment that I got in October when this guy seemed legit. My resume has been out there, but I haven't gotten any bites. I haven't used C# in almost 2 years since prior to this gig I was working for his partner's company (see "Hot Water Costs Money", among other WTFs) where they only used spaghetti code Classic ASP.

Basically, I wish the last two years of my life (working for this guy and his partner who owned the "Hot Water Costs Money" company) never happened, since both those companies basically left me with a useless skillset and without any savings at all

• @ObiWayneKenobi said:

I figure I'll give everyone an update.

So January rolled around... and he was late on payment. I got my paycheck for the entire month of January (and as a contractor, NOT as an employee, despite the fact I was supposed to be an employee) on January 30th. The new company, that supposedly had some big investors (Yeah, I've heard that before), didn't have their payroll set up yet. No biggie, he says, they'll do it and you're going to be set. February comes, and no paycheck on the 15th. It gets closer to the 28th.. still nothing. I ask him repeatedly what's going on, finally he tells me that the investors refused to pay either of us until he delivered some software that he told them I was working on but I really had nothing to do with (it was all the Indian team). So he gave it to them, and they still refused to pay. So, he says, the company that I've been doing the work for (but don't technically WORK FOR) would give me $750 and these investors/partners/whatever they are would give me the rest. I got my February check on March 3rd, and he tells me that "We should look for other sources of income for March 15th. I have some other projects in mind." I pretty much told him go fuck yourself, I'm done here. I'll wrap up whatever I need to, and then I'm finished. So that's where I am now. I finished everything up on Monday... and he claims the last check covered me through the 15th of March even though it was only 1 month's worth of pay - so basically I worked from March 1st through the 15th on wrapping things up... and I'm not going to get paid for it. He still hasn't sent me my W-2 either, claiming that he didn't have the money to pay the bookkeeper (he supposedly was on the phone with her on Monday).

So that's where things are. I'm now out of work, have maybe enough money for rent for April if I'm lucky (and maybe not for electric/cable), and I'm probably going to lose my new apartment that I got in October when this guy seemed legit. My resume has been out there, but I haven't gotten any bites. I haven't used C# in almost 2 years since prior to this gig I was working for his partner's company (see "Hot Water Costs Money", among other WTFs) where they only used spaghetti code Classic ASP.

Basically, I wish the last two years of my life (working for this guy and his partner who owned the "Hot Water Costs Money" company) never happened, since both those companies basically left me with a useless skillset and without any savings at all

I've been trying to reach you for the last month!  Dr. Wilters, here.  Sorry to tell you this in public, but you have herpes.  Incurable herpes.  And according to our test results, it's goat herpes, contracted from having sex with a goat; not a human female, which our tests tell us you haven't had sex with in 5 years.  Also, while performing this medical test, we accidentally removed one of your kidneys and half of your liver and sold them on the black market.  We'd write you a check for the profits, but we invested them in Lehman Brothers in August of '08.  Additionally, one of our genetic tests confirmed that your dick will fall off in 3 days and that any money in your possession from this day forward will spontaneously burst into flames.  Finally, your shyster boss diverted your insurance premiums into a fund he called "Hookerpalooza" and you owe us $15,000.

Have a nice day.

• Morbius, your oddball posts always crack me up. We've not seen eye to eye, but your hilarity is usually a bright spot. Thank you.

• @ObiWayneKenobi said:

your hilarity is usually a bright spot. Thank you.

Idiot! Don't reinforce that shit! We'll never break him this way.

• We'd never break him anyways, or he would have been broken by now!

Fine..

Morbius, you sux. plz diaf and gtfo and l2post scrub.

Better?

• @ObiWayneKenobi said:

drowning, not waving

(NB: I may have paraphrased your post slightly there.)

Sigh, seeing it coming doesn't make it any easier, but at least it's over now and you can get on with rebuilding your life.

• @ObiWayneKenobi said:

I pretty much told him go fuck yourself
    Why did you tell him to go fuck myself? You should have told him to go fuck Morbs instead. That would be a suitable punishment.

Anyway, I wish you best of luck.

• @Zecc said:

You should have told him to go fuck Morbs instead. That would be a suitable punishment.

If that's the case, then your mom must have been Hitler in a previous life, because damn.

• @ObiWayneKenobi said:

Morbius, you sux. plz diaf and gtfo and l2post scrub.

:`-(

•  @morbiuswilters said:

I'm running away forever.<input name="ctl00$ctl00$bcr$bcr$ctl00$PostList$ctl29$ctl23$ctl01" id="ctl00_ctl00_bcr_bcr_ctl00_PostList_ctl29_ctl23_ctl01_State" value="value:Filed%20under%3A%20%3Ca%20href%3D%22%2Ftags%2FI_2700_m%2Brunning%2Baway%2Bforever_2E00_%2Fdefault.aspx%22%20rel%3D%22tag%22%3EI'm%20running%20away%20forever.%3C%2Fa%3E" type="hidden">

Nooooo!

You are humanity's last, best hope!

To feel good about itself!

• @ObiWayneKenobi said:

Hey, don't put up with that sh*t without fighting back. Now would be about the perfect time to call him, all excited, and tell him that you were talking to a friend about the work you'd done for him, and your friend's company desperately wants to buy it for one hundred meeeeellion dollars. All you need him to do is to send a couple of thousand bucks up front so you can finish it off, and you'll both be mega-millionaires. I'm sure this site can come up with a couple of 'executives' to be taken to the best restaurant in town - you'll need to be there too - to discuss the details over dinner.