RIP WorseThanFailure.com



  • Once a great domain
    Now a GoDaddy parking space

    Tragic or ironic?



  • Re: WorseThanFailure.com

    @OzPeter said:

    parking space

    TRWTF. Who the hell invented that kind of crap?



  • @derula said:

    @OzPeter said:
    parking space

    TRWTF. Who the hell invented that kind of crap?

    John Squatter.  Originally he was just trying to find a place to house and feed his impoverished family.  His invention made him billions.  Sadly, he died a few years later of an overdose of Viagra, his penny stocks worthless and his online degree unfinished.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @derula said:

    @OzPeter said:
    parking space

    TRWTF. Who the hell invented that kind of crap?

    John Squatter.  Originally he was just trying to find a place to house and feed his impoverished family.  His invention made him billions.  Sadly, he died a few years later of an overdose of Viagra, his penny stocks worthless and his online degree unfinished.

    I don't believe in online universities, but I do think that the tone of dissertation defenses, oral "comps," etc. at traditional colleges would be greatly improved if these activities were moved to an online, message-board format more similar to MySpace or 4chan, or even YTMND. Oftentimes, I think that the genial PhD-types who run such gatherings hold too much back at these face-to-face events. Moving to something more like an online forum or message board would really open up the lines of communication, and would serve as a useful gatekeeper for people who are really too incompetent or maladjusted for a graduate degree.



  •  YTMND? Really? I'm trying to picture YTMND's system for academic purposes and I'm just not seeing it... but it's making me chuckle.



  • @RHuckster said:

     YTMND? Really? I'm trying to picture YTMND's system for academic purposes and I'm just not seeing it... but it's making me chuckle.

     

    It's like having Brian Peppers for your thesis adviser. And it's also called a "tehsis."



  • @derula said:

    @OzPeter said:
    parking space

    TRWTF. Who the hell invented that kind of crap?

    Clearly someone who asked themselves "how can we annoy people enough to make sure they won't buy our product/service?"



  • The same fate met [url=http://thedailyworsethanfailure.com/]thedailyworsethanfailure.com[/url] and [url=http://virtudyne.com/]virtudyne.com[/url]. It's a sad day.



  • @bridget99 said:

    I don't believe in online universities, but I do think that the tone of dissertation defenses, oral "comps," etc. at traditional colleges would be greatly improved if these activities were moved to an online, message-board format more similar to MySpace or 4chan, or even YTMND. Oftentimes, I think that the genial PhD-types who run such gatherings hold too much back at these face-to-face events. Moving to something more like an online forum or message board would really open up the lines of communication, and would serve as a useful gatekeeper for people who are really too incompetent or maladjusted for a graduate degree.

     

    You got thrown out of grad school? I can tell you from personal experience that face to face meetings are quite a lot more useful than any online experience. And message boards: are you kidding or did you nearly OD on meth? Or perhaps you never have had a serious exchange of thoughts in your life.



  • @TGV said:

    @bridget99 said:
    I don't believe in online universities, but I do think that the tone of dissertation defenses, oral "comps," etc. at traditional colleges would be greatly improved if these activities were moved to an online, message-board format more similar to MySpace or 4chan, or even YTMND. Oftentimes, I think that the genial PhD-types who run such gatherings hold too much back at these face-to-face events. Moving to something more like an online forum or message board would really open up the lines of communication, and would serve as a useful gatekeeper for people who are really too incompetent or maladjusted for a graduate degree.
    You got thrown out of grad school? I can tell you from personal experience that face to face meetings are quite a lot more useful than any online experience. And message boards: are you kidding or did you nearly OD on meth? Or perhaps you never have had a serious exchange of thoughts in your life.
    "Huh, what was that whooshing sound?"



  • @vyznev said:

    "Huh, what was that whooshing sound?"

    Generally I'd think the same, but this is bridget99 we're talking about.  He/she is probably serious, or at least trolling.



  • @OzPeter said:

    Tragic or ironic?

    I say, ironic.  Ironic, that I had decided to give up my boycott of the site today.  The only tragedy was the move to that domain name.  (That said, I do like that domain name.)



  • Ugh. I blame this whole debacle on GoDaddy and American Express.

    GoDaddy is more than eager to call up and up-sell services... but if they can't bill your card when it comes to auto-renew, they shut everything down.

    As for AmEx... I appreciate you looking out for my your security by denying suspicious transactions, but how exactly is domain registration an "uncharacteristic purchase"? Or is this just a new security practices? So secure, not even you can use it?



  • @Alex Papadimoulis said:

    Ugh. I blame this whole debacle on GoDaddy and American Express.


    I was almost tempted to pony up the cash and see if I could have bought the domain. That would have made a great TDWTF story



  • @RHuckster said:

     YTMND? Really? I'm trying to picture YTMND's system for academic purposes and I'm just not seeing it... but it's making me chuckle.



    I believe what he was trying to say is "nigga stole my diploma"... God time to make a YTMND for that.whips out the megaman theme music... Or maybe we might get dramatic readings of course materials. Hey can you resist a course tought by picard?



  • @Spectre said:

    The same fate met thedailyworsethanfailure.com and virtudyne.com. It's a sad day.
    Huzzah and hooray!  They have returned!

     ...from wherever they went for a day or three.



  • @bridget99 said:

    It's like having Brian Peppers for your thesis adviser. And it's also called a "tehsis."

    It's actually an lol, tehsis... assuming you're majoring in lol. Although, actually, I know for a fact Brian Peppers doesn't advise lol grads, he's more in the blue ball mechanics department. Personally, I'd major in NEDM pyrotechnic studies, to help save kitties from burning buildings.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.