Google News's auto image grabber strikes again

• @blakeyrat said:

The point was, since the common opinion is that furries are perverted freaks, the only people who self-identify as furries are the perverted freaks.

So lets say the common opinion is that trolls always come from 4chan that people who say they're trolls must be active on 4chan/b/?
    @blakeyrat said:
    People who simply like funny talking animals might visit furry websites, but they're not going to stand up in church and loudly proclaim furriness.

And you're saying that most furries are going to do exactly that? Excuse me, but I know some that do it extremely subtly, or stupidly blatantly obviously. Hell most people see a tshirt for something like Circles and think nothing of it.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@bob171123 said:

Then the voters would put the furries back in jail where they belong.

Never gonna happen.

You're right. Looks like the courts, at least in the UK, will take care of the furries first:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8355287.stm

What's funniest is all the furries commenting on the story. Is this the whole reason behind the furries discussion? I seriously just found out about this from the BBC news feed.

•  I just love how angry and righteously indignant furries get when they're questioned about how normal they are.  I don't think I see any other group of people who claim to be so persecuted and misunderstood.  I mean, I like lots of things, but I don't jump into an angry internet rant about how half life 2 didn't use the phrase "calabi yau manifolds" correctly because I'm a physicist, and damn it, people misunderstand physics all the time and I've had enough of it!  Nor do I get angry when someone claims there were 5 TOS energy creature episodes when everyone who's not an idiot knows there were 6! (I just made those numbers up, too lazy to check out the futurama episode that tells me).

Hmm, it's almost that being so irrationally angry and defensive is a sign of something... 

• @bob171123 said:

You're right. Looks like the courts, at least in the UK, will take care of the furries first:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8355287.stm

No, the article simply was a BBC Editorial on the fandom (which I've read for the most part, and its fairly accurate in its description of the fandom itself) only briefly touches on the court case which revolved around a fairly large portion of teenage angst against ones own parents and Should not be taken as a statement about furries, but of the human condition which includes the inevitable urge to kill. hate to say it, but look at Hamlet, or even any of the lesser publicized events.

• @Indrora said:

hate to say it, but look at Hamlet, or even any of the lesser publicized events.

Did you just compare Hamlet to furries?  And imply that a fictional play is in the same category as factual events?

• @cfgauss said:

I don't jump into an angry internet rant about how half life 2 didn't use the phrase "calabi yau manifolds" correctly because I'm a physicist

I guess realizing you wasted 10 years of your life on string theory takes the wind out of your sails, eh? I know I would rant about these manifolds that mathematicians use to diguise themselves as physicists.

@cfgauss said:

I just love how angry and righteously indignant furries get when they're questioned about how normal they are.

I do however have to agree with you there. Those silly furries should get a different hobby (as should string theorists).

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Indrora said:

hate to say it, but look at Hamlet, or even any of the lesser publicized events.

Did you just compare Hamlet to furries?  And imply that a fictional play is in the same category as factual events?

No, I just said that using the article as flaimbait was inappropriate, as the point that the poster (I think) was trying to use was the 2 paragraphs about the court case but the sad fact is that the fact the people in the court case met on a furry system is null, as the internal want to kill your parents when you're stuck with them (doubly so if you're adopted) is simply human nature, and it shouldnt be pinned on the fact he was a furry, but the fact he was human.

• @bob171123 said:

Those silly trolls should get a different hobby (as should /b/tards).

FTFY.

• @Indrora said:

the internal want to kill your parents when you're stuck with them (doubly so if you're adopted) is simply human nature, and it shouldnt be pinned on the fact he was a furry, but the fact he was human.

I'm not buying it. Those who blame their actions or the actions of others on "human nature" are simply quitters who need justification and don't want to change, the same ilk who sit around begging for government handouts.

• At the risk of contradicting what I just said, string theory's actually been used in real experiments for about 5 years, (c.f., http://www.aip.org/pnu/2007/split/813-2.html), and has had known applications to condensed matter for ~10 years (c.f., maldecana), and has told us about the qualitative behavior of QCD for ~20 years (c.f., the whole point of string theory).  But hey, at least I can back up my statements with decades of research!  It's really only the media and two or three crackpots who have problems with string theory.

• @cfgauss said:

At the risk of contradicting what I just said, string theory's actually been used in real experiments for about 5 years, (c.f., http://www.aip.org/pnu/2007/split/813-2.html), and has had known applications to condensed matter for ~10 years (c.f., maldecana), and has told us about the qualitative behavior of QCD for ~20 years (c.f., the whole point of string theory).  But hey, at least I can back up my statements with decades of research!  It's really only the media and two or three crackpots who have problems with string theory.

If all it did was provide some insights into the strong force, people wouldn't have a problem with it. But you guys have the audacity to say that physics students have to waste their time understanding mathematics that would only be of interest to a real mathematician to pursue a "theory of everything", which in fact is just a bunch of theories going nowhere. I guess mathematicians needed something sexy to attract students.

P.S. It's Maldacena.

• @bob171123 said:

@Indrora said:

the internal want to kill your parents when you're stuck with them (doubly so if you're adopted) is simply human nature, and it shouldnt be pinned on the fact he was a furry, but the fact he was human.

I'm not buying it. Those who blame their actions or the actions of others on "human nature" are simply quitters who need justification and don't want to change, the same ilk who sit around begging for government handouts.

OK let me see if I have my facts straight..

• Person finds another person
    • Person finds other person attractive (or something, I'm not going there)
    • Person is adopted, lives with parents (is underage?)
    • Person finds parents oppressive
    • Person is suggested that parent should be killed
    • Person eventually kills said parent
      • So, If I've got my facts right... the fact he's a furry... is moot. Your argument is invalid.

Hotlinked, because i'm a tard.

•  No no my argument is that your argument is invalid because you choose to base it on something so nebulous as your definition of human nature. It's not human nature to kill, especially to kill people who raised you. There's definitely something else wrong with that person. I must then agree with you that he just happened to be a furrie.

• @bob171123 said:

No no my argument is that your argument is invalid because you choose to base it on something so nebulous as your definition of human nature.

Nebulous, eh? I see we've found a thesaurus.

@bob171123 said:

It's not human nature to kill, especially to kill people who raised you.

In teenagers, thoughts of killing one's parents is something like 200% more than in adults because of this magical thing known as angst; those who are adopted are often at higher risk as they can feel as though their parents were too cowardly or weak to handle a very young child.

@bob171123 said:

I must then agree with you that he just happened to be a furrie.

QFT.

• @Indrora said:

...as the internal want to kill your parents when you're stuck with them (doubly so if you're adopted) is simply human nature, and it shouldnt be pinned on the fact he was a furry, but the fact he was human.

QFI

•  Everyone experiences angst every once in a while, especially in the teens as you said. BUT, that doesn't make them want to kill their parents. Even if it does, it doesn't make them ACTUALLY kill their parents. There's a lot more than angst there if the teen takes it that far.

Also, I don't need no stinkin' thesaurus.

• @bob171123 said:

How are you for badges?

• The reason you hear about furries doing things like that is essentually because the news media sees this:

Reporter: I've got a potential story on a kid who killed his parents.
    Editor: Another murder case? Yaaaawwwnnn.
    Reporter: But this one was a member of some strange animal sex group.
    Editor: Really? See if you can dig up more dirt.

The reason you never hear about "normal" people who want to kill their parents .

Source: Heide, K. M. and Boots, D. P. , 2007-11-13 "A Comparative Analysis of Media Reports of U.S. Parricide Cases with Officially Reported National Crime Data" Paper presented at the annual meeting of the AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CRIMINOLOGY, Atlanta Marriott Marquis, Atlanta, Georgia Online <PDF>. 2009-05-24 from http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p185593_index.html.

• @bob171123 said:

Everyone experiences angst every once in a while, especially in the teens as you said. BUT, that doesn't make them want to kill their parents. Even if it does, it doesn't make them ACTUALLY kill their parents. There's a lot more than angst there if the teen takes it that far.

Try reading this... Freakonomics tends to be a wonderful introduction into how the human brain works. See the third graph; notice how the values for 14-24 are generally much higher. Notice how in recent years the "adults" are generally less dangerous. Does this not tell you something about teenagers?

I will make a huge note here that even though the article has a slant towards African Americans, the numbers are roughly the same if you look at white folk. and no i'm not going to capitalize that because I honestly think this whole world is fucked upside the head.

•  @Indrora said:

Try reading this... Freakonomics tends to be a wonderful introduction into how the human brain works. See the third graph; notice how the values for 14-24 are generally much higher. Notice how in recent years the "adults" are generally less dangerous. Does this not tell you something about teenagers?

Can't dispute the data, but I maintain that a normal human being does not have a natural impulse to kill.

Also, I must disagree with you on Freakonomics in general. I find it hard to believe a book written by someone who claims legalized abortion reduces crime and someone who's a "journalist" for the state-controlled media.

• @bob171123 said:

@Indrora said:

Can't dispute the data

Because data talks louder than paragraphs. I might not entirely agree with everything, but blinders go up for everyone when it fits their argument, amirite?

• @bob171123 said:

I find it hard to believe a book written by someone who claims legalized abortion reduces crime...

To be fair, he never said it was a tradeoff an ethical person would make, and he claimed to find it an immoral calculus to pursue.  In fact, he made the point that, at best, you could see 1 adult life spared from crime for every 15,000 (or something near that, it's been awhile) fetuses aborted.  His hypothesis, which I found to be well-supported, was that statistically there is an inverse relationship between abortion and crime at both the state and national levels for the last 40 years.  I don't think that's a stretch; after all, poor blacks born of teen mothers with no father around commit a disproportionate number of crimes and poor, teen blacks have had a disproportionate number of abortions.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@bob171123 said:

I find it hard to believe a book written by someone who claims legalized abortion reduces crime...

To be fair, he never said it was a tradeoff an ethical person would make, and he claimed to find it an immoral calculus to pursue.  In fact, he made the point that, at best, you could see 1 adult life spared from crime for every 15,000 (or something near that, it's been awhile) fetuses aborted.  His hypothesis, which I found to be well-supported, was that statistically there is an inverse relationship between abortion and crime at both the state and national levels for the last 40 years.  I don't think that's a stretch; after all, poor blacks born of teen mothers with no father around commit a disproportionate number of crimes and poor, teen blacks have had a disproportionate number of abortions.

Yeah but there are people who will take this out of context, go into the clinics, and yell "off with their heads!" They only see statistics and dollars wasted.

• @Indrora said:

Try reading this... Freakonomics tends to be a wonderful introduction into how the human brain works.
    Freakonomics is just another entry into the pop-science realm.   As a quick, light introduction into the idea of subtle, far-reaching consequences of actions, it is an interesting venture.  Taking it as a book of legitimate, well-executed scientific research is moronic.

• @bob171123 said:

Yeah but there are people who will take this out of context, go into the clinics, and yell "off with their heads!" They only see statistics and dollars wasted.

True, there are a lot of stupid people in the world.

• @bstorer said:

Freakonomics is just another entry into the pop-science realm.   As a quick, light introduction into the idea of subtle, far-reaching consequences of actions, it is an interesting venture.  Taking it as a book of legitimate, well-executed scientific research is moronic.

Mostly agree.  I think it's an interesting book, but I wouldn't base any decisions of consequence on it.  Not because it's incorrect, necessarily, but because it's entertainment more than anything.

• So TRWTF here is that Google doesnt have a reliable means of getting images for their news stories.

•  Bugs and Lola completely fit in with the story. Obviously Bugs needed some help if he couldn't get it up for Lola.

• @bob171123 said:

Bugs and Lola completely fit in with the story. Obviously Bugs needed some help if he couldn't get it up for Lola.

@Buzz Lightyear said:
    You are one sad, sad little man.

To infinity, and beyond :)

• @bstorer said:

@Indrora said:

Wow. this entire thread apparently was made of flame twine. Who soaked it in C4?

however this shows a condition of the human mind: No matter how small a minority is within a group, the interest from outside goes straight to the minority that the most people find odd. I know people who get off on PENS. PENS as in WRITING IMPLEMENTS.

Pointing out that other people are more fucked up doesn't get you off the hook at all.  If anything, you've just demonstrated that you hang in some sad, sad crowds.

Without knowing the reason for him having the associates he has, you don't necessarily know that he's indicated much about himself.

For example, when I was in college, I used to hang out in one particular computer lab more than the others, because it usually didn't have the florescent lights on, which I found to be painfully bright.  This just happened to be the same lab that the furries hung out in.  Most normal students avoided this lab, because they felt it was too dark.  Also, the sado-masochist exhibitionists kind of freaked them out (who were also there due to the relative dark).  Because there were so few people using the lab, the neopagans congregated there, bringing their clergy and their homeless friends.  But all of those groups combined still left the room relatively empty.  Then we added the MUDders, and then the "Haveners", and now the non-student population needed to implement a policy of ensuring there was always one terminal open so long as any of them were using a computer.

It's a good thing I wasn't there for the peace and quiet of the one darkish room, because by my sophomore year, it was actually quite crowded.

Other than the fact that I wasn't scared off by these odd people, the fact that I continued to use the one computer lab which was easy on my eyes doesn't really say much about me.

Now, I was a bit more socially friendly than some of the other geeks who used the lab because of the relative quiet of the room (the homeless and neopagan clergy were always very quiet - they really didn't want to attract attention, as they knew they could be kicked out or charged with trespass.  The Haveners, so long as they remained in that lab, spoke very rarely - they mostly just typed into their poor man's chat room.  The MUDders basically only made much noise if their character died - and most of them were pretty calm about that, too (after all, they only lost a level and some time - if they handled it correctly, they could usually get their stuff back.)  The sado-masochist exhibitionists usually weren't there, and when they were, it was to use the computers (mostly.)  And The Guy Who Needed Help never entered that room while the florescent lights were out.), but even that doesn't say much about me.  I'm not a furry, I'm not a neopagan, I'm not a MUDder or a neopagan, I don't use IRC for non-technical discussions, I don't play any MMORPGs anymore, I'm not sadistic, masochistic, voyeuristic, nor an exhibitionist.  I'm not a punk, a druggie, homosexual, bisexual, transvestite, transgendered, or queer.  But by using that computer room for four years, I learned more than I ever wanted to know about all of those groups.

Synopsis: Most of them are ok.  Different, but ok.  I met more reprehensible people in the dorms and in class than in that computer lab.  None of those groups were predominantly populated by creeps.  That having been said, I really prefer to stay away from druggies as much as feasible.

• @tgape said:

@bstorer said:

@Indrora said:

Wow. this entire thread apparently was made of flame twine. Who soaked it in C4?

however this shows a condition of the human mind: No matter how small a minority is within a group, the interest from outside goes straight to the minority that the most people find odd. I know people who get off on PENS. PENS as in WRITING IMPLEMENTS.

Pointing out that other people are more fucked up doesn't get you off the hook at all.  If anything, you've just demonstrated that you hang in some sad, sad crowds.
    tl;don't give a shit

Please stop trying to defend the tards; they deserve their punishment.

• @amischiefr said:

@Weng said:

(he moved out suddenly saying "I have no property" and left enough crap in that room that I filled a 26ft moving van with it.)

Damn, how big was his room if you could fill up a 10 x 26 ft moving van?  I used a 30ft van to move my house (5 bdrm) and I have a lot of crap.

I'd guess it has more to do with how the brother lived and what Weng considers "full" than how big the room is.

I mean, for me, I'd probably need to have something like a 30x40ft room to feel comfortable putting as much stuff in it as one could a 10x26ft moving van, given how one packs stuff into a moving van.  However, I've known some people (specifically, two of my ex-roommate's exes) who lived such that they could possibly live in a 20x26 room, with enough stuff in there to fill a 10x26ft moving van.  (However, what clearly demonstrated that they were insane was they were interested in my former roommate.)

I've also seen someone rent a 30ft moving van, load enough stuff in it to nearly fill a 12ft moving van, and, having nothing more to put into it, declare it "full".

• @tgape said:

For example, when I was in college... furries ... sado-masochist exhibitionists ... neopagans ... clergy ... homeless friends ... MUDders ... "Haveners" ...

It's a good thing I wasn't there for the peace and quiet of the one darkish room, because by my sophomore year, it was actually quite crowded.

What kind of god-awful hellhole did you go to?

@tgape said:

Other than the fact that I wasn't scared off by these odd people, the fact that I continued to use the one computer lab which was easy on my eyes doesn't really say much about me.

It says quite a bit about you.  I think you're as retarded as any of them and I now hate you.

• MUDders?

Nothing wrong with that. MUCKs are pretty bad, though...

• @morbiuswilters said:

@tgape said:

For example, when I was in college... furries ... sado-masochist exhibitionists ... neopagans ... clergy ... homeless friends ... MUDders ... "Haveners" ...

Hey at least there weren't any commies there? Oh, right, college...

• @bob171123 said:

There were bulletin board adverts for various political groups, including communists.  I didn't feel the need to seek them out, however.  It's possible some of the various people who used that computer lab were communists, but they didn't make a point of it while I was there.

• @tgape said:

@bob171123 said:

There were bulletin board adverts for various political groups, including communists.  I didn't feel the need to seek them out, however.  It's possible some of the various people who used that computer lab were communists, but they didn't make a point of it while I was there.

They were probably too focused on memorizing every detail of their furrie porn to agitate for change.

• @morbiuswilters said:

A state school with over 30k undergrads and a full graduate program.  And very poor physical security, at least when I started.  Note that, word on campus was, "all the crazies use that computer lab."

I did appreciate the fact that they decide to dim the lights in another computer lab my senior year.  As it shared a building with the on-campus police station, none of the *really* odd folk from the other computer lab saw fit to spend much time there.  Also, the three people who came in drunk were promptly arrested for public intoxication.