Nobody shares knowledge better than this

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I hate metadata I've never heard of it till these dumb forums.
    And you claim to be a search genius without even being aware of common terms and ideas, you don't need to agree with them but to be taken seriously you need to be aware of current thinking in an area you claim expertise. By current I mean the past 20 or 30 years in this case.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Grepplers it is Search not GREP
    grep is a unix utility that can be used to search text amongst other things, you actually started using the term greppler and we told you then you were just making up nonsense words.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Sorry I'm a little tired from videoing over 3 hours of local council meeting. Watching it makes me tired. so tired.
    You should edit out the boring bits then and condense it to just the important parts - would be a lot less than three hours to sit through then.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Yup and my text file is not an index.
    It is a data structure you are using to speed up thefinding of your mp3, video and image files, therefore it is an index by definition.

@SpectateSwamp said:

But initially it was searching text files only. At some point it became much more. SSDS and video Rules
    SSDS searches a text file at a time and doesn't search text files. 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

More than banned on the video forums. Worse than banished. All records of my fine fine posts on a non video editing tangent; that brought them to tears. So they burned em all in the giant fire pit of Censorship. Never to be seen to this day. Maybe someday though. We can always hope.
    Have you considered the fact that posting non video related posts on a forum dedicated to videos and video editing may be considered off topic and against the forum rules?

• So fast it will make you laugh - It just will you know

@spenk said:

Thats true but searching thousands of files spread all over your disk; that you are never ever going to send out again, is just pure silly. Why wouldn't I just search 1 file. Much faster than locating all the required pieces of MmDee and searching them individually. That's why SSDS is so fast; at times it is soo fast It will just make you laugh.

As with your other comments I'm with DerulaSwamp; we just won't read what SpenkSwamp and SpenkSwampDaddy have to say. So there. 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@spenk said:

Thats true but searching thousands of files spread all over your disk; that you are never ever going to send out again, is just pure silly. Why wouldn't I just search 1 file. Much faster than locating all the required pieces of MmDee and searching them individually. That's why SSDS is so fast; at times it is soo fast It will just make you laugh.

As with your other comments I'm with DerulaSwamp; we just won't read what SpenkSwamp and SpenkSwampDaddy have to say. So there. 

I have files for reasons other than sending out! My source code is organised into separate files to make it cleaner and more maintainable - these never get sent out but I might occasionally need to search them. I have documents relating to work, past projects, mp3s images and so on that are all separate files for a good reason. Why would I want to merge these into one file when I can find and use them perfectly well as separate files?

An automated indexing tool like WDS with collect the meta data automatically and not require me to do it by hand hence it is easier and less effort for me. 

We all realise you struggle with concepts such as "more than 1" but not everybody wants to work in a world of one file in one folder. 

Given your inability to really answer or respond to comments I am honestly not that sure you have ever read anything anyone has posted anyway. 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I'll ignore that swear word maybe even double ignore it

Face it.

You chose a Latin screenname.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

All records of my fine fine posts on a non video editing tangent; that brought them to tears.

Tears of laughter

tears of dispair

tears of loss of belief in sanity of humanity

tears from the swamp.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

i want xyroswamp to answer my question first. Question for question.
    @SpectateSwamp said:
    A more complete definition of MmmDee "Data / info / catalog details that are stuffed not jammed into Music and Picture files & other Media by some Dumb SOB fat ass computer Geek." You know who you are.

Now you have graciously unveilled your wit-
    less ignorance about your ems and dees;
    (And more, it's stranger still especially
    considering you brought it up yourself!)
    so I am more than willing to uphold
    my deal to you: which question has been asked
    besides the same old "double-you-tee-eff"?

(And SpectoSwamp, I do request that you
    do choose an inquiry that Spenk has not
    already beat into a pulp before.)

• DreamTime SpectateSwamp

@dhromed said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

I'll ignore that swear word maybe even double ignore it

Face it.

You chose a Latin screenname.

Nope!  You are wrong again DHromedSwamp. I didn't chose a Latin screenname it chose me. Came to me in a dream. A dream character said "the guys down at SpectateSwamp really know what is going on" and it still rings as true today; as the morning it was Dreamed/dreamt. Latin smatin I don't dream in Latin. Never had never will. Spectate is and old mumbo jumbo Dream word.

P.S. I will turn on that GPS feature when doing the next Logging road tour. At every turn I'll do a video and a couple stills then maybe a few more along the way to the next turn. then the same. Damn now I need a downloader for these &(%.mpg MD. Records. I'll like it to dump to SSDS mpg catalog format for starters; I'll run the "gf" option for MPG files in SSDS and use that dump file (not MD) as the feeder. No directory lookup required then. SSDS saves half of the day on this little task. I could use the gps location and scroll it over the pic at the corner, right after the video had displayed. Prompting which way L R Ahead Back Q ...Damn this SSDS is powerful maybe too powerful

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Nope!  You are wrong again DHromedSwamp. I didn't chose a Latin screenname it chose me. Came to me in a dream. A dream character said "the guys down at SpectateSwamp really know what is going on" and it still rings as true today; as the morning it was Dreamed/dreamt. Latin smatin I don't dream in Latin. Never had never will. Spectate is and old mumbo jumbo Dream word.

P.S. I will turn on that GPS feature when doing the next Logging road tour. At every turn I'll do a video and a couple stills then maybe a few more along the way to the next turn. then the same. Damn now I need a downloader for these &(%.mpg MD. Records. I'll like it to dump to SSDS mpg catalog format for starters; I'll run the "gf" option for MPG files in SSDS and use that dump file (not MD) as the feeder. No directory lookup required then. SSDS saves half of the day on this little task. I could use the gps location and scroll it over the pic at the corner, right after the video had displayed. Prompting which way L R Ahead Back Q ...Damn this SSDS is powerful maybe too powerful

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Damn this SSDS

• Speed Reading with SSDS

@Xyro said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Damn this SSDS

Damn I love this SSDS more everyday. Me DerulaSwamp and you should write some cute ditty. Twang. That slowed print is an incredible tool. Keep the print large and start uping the Characters Per Second. How fast can you read 48 point font. Find your speed now. DownLoad SSDS today or maybe tomorrow. This offer will be around forever. If one could hug a program; SSDS would be getting a big squeeze right now. Damn lovely mess of spaghetti; this VB noodlin and jammed beauty of ours.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Damn I love this SSDS more everyday. Me DerulaSwamp and you should write some cute ditty. Twang. That slowed print is an incredible tool. Keep the print large and start uping the Characters Per Second. How fast can you read 48 point font. Find your speed now. DownLoad SSDS today or maybe tomorrow. This offer will be around forever. If one could hug a program; SSDS would be getting a big squeeze right now. Damn lovely mess of spaghetti; this VB noodlin and jammed beauty of ours.

If that, dear Swamp, is what you ask of me,
    then I'll reply as our agreement's game.
    I answer thusly: no.  That's absolutely gross.
    And also, truly, you're insane.

• Bingers Googlers & Grepplers have nowhere to hide. Kiss em goodbye

I posted the source.txt at:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/source.txt

I'll be doing some serious notes at various points. For the next big big source code release.

The source is available again because it was so nicely asked for Twice today. Once at this other forum thread I just started on spaghetti code rants and the other by a secret swampie called UnknownSwamp

http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=150886

You should be able to jam this code into almost any language. Even cobol. Their powers to stop SSDS will now be useless. Muum Haa Haa. Ooops sorry it's not polite to laugh at them...

• Re: SSDS we fear it muchly

@SpectateSwamp said:

I posted the source.txt at:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/source.txt

I'll be doing some serious notes at various points. For the next big big source code release.

The source is available again because it was so nicely asked for Twice today.

Oh fuck, I thought this had finally gone away.

@SpectateSwamp said:

http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=150886
    Those poor, poor, innocent folk - just what did they do to deserve having your special kind of madness inflicted upon them. Woe unto you for spreading this suffering around.

@SpectateSwamp said:

You should be able to jam this code into almost any language.
    I have a challenge then - how about 'Jamming' it into Visual Basic 6 then? Just to prove how easily it will port. I mean if it is good code it should compile with only one compiler revision after all....@SpectateSwamp said:
    Even cobol. Their powers to stop SSDS will now be useless.
    A power to stop something that isn't really going anywhere is pretty useless I will admit.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Muum Haa Haa.

Okay, it's official now. You're mad.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Their powers to stop SSDS will now be useless.

Wow, the first true thing you said in a long time. SSDS doesn't need to be stopped, as it doesn't move forth.

Also, what's with your subject line?

@SpectateSwamp said:

Bingers Googlers & Grepplers have nowhere to hide. Kiss em goodbye

Didn't you say yourself that desktop search can't possibly be compared to web search? Or does my memory betray me?

Also, when did you add regular expression support to SSDS?

• 2Dumb2BeSwamp challenged - change your ways

@Xyro said:

If that, dear Swamp, is what you ask of me,
    then I'll reply as our agreement's game.
    I answer thusly: no.  That's absolutely gross.
    And also, truly, you're insane.

Question: What is the file size MAX that Google Bing YaHoo have for TEXT files. If you can answer this (I'll check your results) then I know you are doing something. Not 'just saying' or 'just singing' or 'just poeting'. You will be 'just doing'; otherwise this tread becomes crap. HINT to make the large large text files use SSDS prompt #2 option "Merge" We all know SSDS can take them as big, as they can make em. Please please do this to help extend search knowledge to the "2Dumb2BeSwamp" types out there.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Question: What is the file size MAX that Google Bing YaHoo have for TEXT files.

You know that those are _web_ search engines and not desktop search engines right? However, I've seen grep chew on a 83GB text file just fine.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Irrelevant.

1. Your very large text file is an index, and should be compared to Google/Yahoo/Bing's index, which is decidedly larger than a single consumer hard drive, such as yours.

2. SDSS does not automatically index the contents of any other text file, so it has no code to handle any size files, so the question is moot.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

We all know SSDS can take them as big, as they can make em. Please please do this to help extend search knowledge to the "2Dumb2BeSwamp" types out there.
    This link seems to prove otherwise.

• MetaData who's responsible

@Lingerance said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

However, I've seen grep chew on a 83GB text file just fine.
    Did you see Grepplers on my list 2Dumb2Be maybe?

Question: Just who is the JackAss that first came up with that MD word. Was it Gore again? I want to know. Bad real Bad. Hate that guy.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Just who is the JackAss that first came up with that MD word. Was it Gore again?

Al Gore, what the hell?

@Wikipedia said:

The first use of the term “Metadata” has been attributed to Jack .E. Myers who subsequently trademarked the word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metadata

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Question: Just who is the JackAss that first came up with that MD word. Was it Gore again? I want to know. Bad real Bad. Hate that guy.
    http://foldoc.org/Metadata

far before Gore, way back to when you were a computer god who knew everything about everything. Even before the idea of mp3 had reached popular attention so nothing to do with your mythical MFD nonsense either.

I also notice you are still ignoring the link that shows SSDS failing to search a very large file as well, almost as if you cannot refute it really.

• 🚽 Regular

@SpectateSwamp said:

The only term Gore "coined" (or at least made popular) was "Information Superhighway" which comes from the Latin informatio, meaning to conceive, and supra meaning above. So, nice try linking Al Gore to this pro-Greek Language mega-conspiracy. (oops, did I use the word "mega"? Damn, now you know I am a part of this conspiracy)

• What size your MAX - Just questioning

@dhromed said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Irrelevant.

1. Your very large text file is an index, and should be compared to Google/Yahoo/Bing's index, which is decidedly larger than a single consumer hard drive, such as yours.

2.  so the question is moot.

Nope it is just a text file. It is the one and only file I use. Liking to keep things simple in the SSDS way. Just pretend you have this text file and it gets bigger and bigger as you merrily go about your way of cutting and pasting great knowledge off the net. Like some of these long Threads. For bedtime reading. WHERE would you hit the WALL text size wise.  And would you even know about hitting it? And don't be so quick to moot questions like that. Give me the G** Damn answer. Or can't you find it. Need some help; ask a Swampie. They really know what is going on. Go SSDS chew up those huge huge files.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Nope it is just a text file. It is the one and only file I use. Liking to keep things simple in the SSDS way. Just pretend you have this text file and it gets bigger and bigger as you merrily go about your way of cutting and pasting great knowledge off the net. Like some of these long Threads. For bedtime reading. WHERE would you hit the WALL text size wise.  And would you even know about hitting it? And don't be so quick to moot questions like that. Give me the G** Damn answer. Or can't you find it. Need some help; ask a Swampie. They really know what is going on. Go SSDS chew up those huge huge files.

Nope - the text files that are created using gf in mp3, video, jpeg files etc are used by SSDS to locate the original files - QED it is an index.

I have no huge text files on my system therefore it is a moot point, if I did SSDS might fail if they had a short or long extension or see my sig for what else can happen.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Question: What is the file size MAX that Google Bing YaHoo have for TEXT files. If you can answer this (I'll check your results) then I know you are doing something

Assuming you mean their desktop search offerings, the maximum filesize is the maximum filesize of the OS. I know it goes over 2GB; to do otherwise would be silly.

Oh, and interestingly enough, SSDS will be limited to 2GB, since Pre .NET VB  only uses a single Long variable to represent file offsets, and doesn't use the "ex" equivalent functions (GetFileSizeEx, WriteFileEx, etc) Only way to remedy that would be to simply not use the built in file access functions and statements. That's what I do.

Anyway, I better summarize the about for ol' SS: SDSS cannot use a text file larger then 2GB or create one larger then 2GB. although if you have a 2GB text file you probably need a psychologist.

Question: Just who is the JackAss that first came up with that MD word.

Metadata? It's a word, it's basically data describing other data; for example, MP3 tags and file indexes and so forth.

Your text file is a file index; it describes data about other data, therefore it is metadata. Hell, if you think about it, even a filename could be described as a sort of metadata; same with the folder layout. The fact that you have trouble pronouncing the word doesn't really invalidate it, since it's been used for ages.

data is a greek word; so is meta. hell, a good portion of the words you use everyday originate from the greek language. Except Noodle. That came from latin. (Nodus).

Also we must bear in mind that SDSS is not going to ever run on any other platform; only windows. your constant parroting that some swampie will do it is plain ignorance. you ignore any sort of coding standards and yet believe people are going to want to <add> features to it?

You go on to say how easy it is to port, and yet you cannot even get it working in a newer version of the same language (VB6). 

regarding the link.... well, now I have to rename my search program. no bloody way am I going to have the same executable name as SDSS, even if I knew enough to give the program a proper icon. (a magnifying glass may be cliche for search programs but it's a hell of a lot better then the little form image you get by default)

• MetaData Jack E Myers WordSmith and TradeMarker

@dhromed said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Just who is the JackAss that first came up with that MD word. Was it Gore again?

Al Gore, what the hell?

@Wikipedia said:

The first use of the term “Metadata” has been attributed to Jack .E. Myers who subsequently trademarked the word.

Thanks Right now I'm trying not to mentally choke that no good son of a &(*&. Trademarked a WORD. Lets find his picture. Scum bucket. I hope he charges 5 Cents a use. I'm done with that lord it over you word. MmDee it is. Unless someone has that word as well? We can only hope not.

• 🚽 Regular

@SpectateSwamp said:

Thanks Right now I'm trying not to mentally choke that no good son of a &(*&. Trademarked a WORD.

Yeah, how dare he trademark something that trademarks are meant for! "Metadata" has been genericized the same way escalator, zipper, and asprin have.

• Other Searches Limited - not so with SSDS

@BC_Programmer said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Question: What is the file size MAX that Google Bing YaHoo have for TEXT files. If you can answer this (I'll check your results) then I know you are doing something

Assuming you mean their desktop search offerings, the maximum filesize is the maximum filesize of the OS. I know it goes over 2GB; to do otherwise would be silly.

Give the damn file size. I have searched the results out of my merge.txt file 269,308Kb The results for the others are far far short of that. Give the people the numbers not the run-a-round.

• @BC_Programmer said:

data is a greek word

That's funny, because I thought "data" was the plural form of the perfect passive participle to the Latin word "dare" which means "to give".

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Question: What is the file size MAX that Google Bing YaHoo have for TEXT files. If you can answer this (I'll check your results) then I know you are doing something. Not 'just saying' or 'just singing' or 'just poeting'. You will be 'just doing'; otherwise this tread becomes crap. HINT to make the large large text files use SSDS prompt #2 option "Merge" We all know SSDS can take them as big, as they can make em. Please please do this to help extend search knowledge to the "2Dumb2BeSwamp" types out there.

Oh what exactly are you asking now?

Am I correct in thinking you are trying
    to determine how enlarged a doc-
    ument must be before the GoogleBot
    indexing spider's overcome with apathy?

So let us try experimentally:
    upload your largest index mergèd text,
    then wait for GoogleBot to index it,
    then search for something that's unique to it
    near the end of your good swampy merge.

However, even if it does not find,
    it does not indicate that it cannot
    search so far into your giant merge,
    only that it's been so programmed for
    avoiding wasted time and bandwidth there.

It is heuristically a sensitive
    robot: the words that come before the end
    are not considered as important as
    the bolded words which do describe the start.

I want to know just what opinion would
    this information hope to seek to guide?
    Are you truly suggesting it's beyond
    their technological capacity
    to read the end of monstrous text as if
    it were some greater challenge in the field
    of searching algorithms? (and here I pause.)

Oh, then again, on second thought, please do
    ignore my words above this line, ok?
    The bestest answer to your question is
    One-ninety-thousand-seventy-hundred-twenty-two.
    Alright? Now please check over my results.

•  

@SpectateSwamp said:

Give the damn file size. I have searched the results out of my merge.txt file 269,308Kb The results for the others are far far short of that. Give the people the numbers not the run-a-round.

First off, Google, Bing, and Yahoo are search engines. Of the web variety. they search the web.

However, I don't know the Max size; I was able to confirm that Windows desktop search that is built into Vista has no issues with text files around 30GB; I created a text file y repeatedly copying a file and appending it into itself with the copy A+B syntax in a for loop. I was able to quickly create a 30GB or so file.

I was able to use Windows Desktop search to search within the contents of that file, simply by typing one of the keywords into the search bar at the top of explorer. 

SDSS can only use a 2GB text file as it's indexing source (and regardless of what you want to call it, your searching the text file to find data about other files; it's an index, plain and simple) . Windows desktop search  can search through files that are at least 30GB; therefore it is SDSS that is limited; the fact that we cannot determine the exact file size is redundant; SDSS is limited to 2GB. period.

The main limitation obviously is the fact that it's made with VB6. VB6 programs work fine in Windows 2000 and below; but in order to properly support semi-modern OS's with it you need to jump through quite a few hoops, involving manifest files and so forth. otherwise you just look like a inexperienced amateur, a viewpoint only strengthened by your use of Inputbox to actually do anything. 

And of course, VB's inbuilt features are based around features of an OS that is approaching a decade old; things like the inability to read files larger then 2GB. Hell, you cannot even get the SIZE of a file larger then 2GB with VB's built in functions.

And what about Date accessed/created? VB itself only provides "FileDateTime" (or GetFileDateTime, I forget) and it only returns the last modified date. no built in way to get the other two; and since I doubt your advanced enough to understand API declarations and their use I imagine SDSS is subject to the same limitation.

• @BC_Programmer said:

The main limitation obviously is the fact that it's made with VB6.
    I am only correcting you because it is funny to point out to Spectate that SSDS is a VB 5 application, VB 6 refuses to compile such utter dross. Still it should be easily ported to C running under linux....

And an excuse to point out SSDS can't handle really large files - see the link in my sig, or files with long extensions either. Very short extensions also cause problem, as do files without extensions.

• @spenk said:

@BC_Programmer said:

The main limitation obviously is the fact that it's made with VB6.
    I am only correcting you because it is funny to point out to Spectate that SSDS is a VB5 application, VB 6 refuses to compile such utter dross. Still it should be easily ported to C running under linux....

And an excuse to point out SSDS can't handle really large files - see the link in my sig.

Oh... oops, I realized that halfway through my post and changed VB6 into just VB.... guess I missed one.

And of course, the fact that VB6 doesn't compile it is a limitation of the new version, not a problem with the source itself. (it's VB6's loss that it can't compile such a glorious project as SDSS).

Yeha and like ol swampie says it's easy to port, it's so easy, he won't even try, he'll just get his "swampies" to do it.

I suspect his "swampies" are in fact plush animal toys. "What do you think of this search tool poopy panda?" "I think it kicks ass, your awesome SpectateSwamp" (or whatever his real name is. he's probably greek. he comes off to me like he should be relatively large and greasy and try to kiss other males. He's just saying all the bad stuff about greek because he's trying to throw a red herring into the mix.

• @BC_Programmer said:

I suspect his "swampies" are in fact plush animal toys. "What do you think of this search tool poopy panda?" "I think it kicks ass, your awesome SpectateSwamp" (or whatever his real name is. he's probably greek. he comes off to me like he should be relatively large and greasy and try to kiss other males. He's just saying all the bad stuff about greek because he's trying to throw a red herring into the mix.

Indeed, regarding that I do believe
    his swampies are in fact some lit'ral swamps.

Within these swamps he sits alone and speaks
    with those imaginary friends of his.

• Indexers can't search much - Not like SSDS

I was pretty sure nobody would come up with any realistic file size results. Or maybe not even give it a try. Too too bad.

Found these notes from a couple years back. Used the "xxx" option at prompt #2 creating the output results into "replace.txt" I just knew if it wasn't in my huge Merge.txt file. Nobody could find it. Anyway You should start with files in this range. To do the test. They may have improved lately. We can only hope. Those numbers are miserable.  

I used the Search to merge a few large txt files into one, with a
     special search key placed near the end.
     Maximum indexing file size for these search engines is as follows:
     (1) Yahoo would not index a 81MB text file
     (2) Google would not index a 44MB text file
     (2.5) Exalead would not index a 19.78MB text file.
     (3) Microsoft would not index a 1.1MB text file
     Spectate Swamp has no known text file size limit!!!

• Re: Indexers can search multiple file types with better performance than SSDS (which still technically uses an index)

@SpectateSwamp said:

I was pretty sure nobody would come up with any realistic file size results. Or maybe not even give it a try. Too too bad.
    BC_Programmer managed to test the windows search with a 30G file - that is a number for you. My sig shows SSDS failing on a large file as well!@SpectateSwamp said:
    Who cares though? an 81M file is not a typical file size for sane people, only people who fail to understand file systems and how to organise things properly are likely to reach that size anyway. Then again I bet they can search files with no extenstion, or a single character extension or 5 or more character extensions, or pdf, xls, xml, doc, png, gif, wmv, jpg and flac files as well for starters.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Check the link in my sig and then reconsider your claim.

• @spenk said:

taking the piss<input name="ctl00$ctl00$bcr$bcr$ctl00$PostList$ctl38$ctl23$ctl01" id="ctl00_ctl00_bcr_bcr_ctl00_PostList_ctl38_ctl23_ctl01_State" value="value:Filed%20under%3A%20%3Ca%20href%3D%22%2Ftags%2FBored%2Bof%2Barguing%2Band%2Bso%2Bhave%2Bresorted%2Bto%2Btaking%2Bthe%2Bpiss%2Fdefault.aspx%22%20rel%3D%22tag%22%3EBored%20of%20arguing%20and%20so%20have%20resorted%20to%20taking%20the%20piss%3C%2Fa%3E" type="hidden">

I actually hadn't noticed you were Bri'ish until that.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I was pretty sure nobody would come up with any realistic file size results.

Because you seem unable to read, the direct answer to your question is:

More than 30GB.

But nonetheless, SDSS is desktop search, and should be compared to other desktop searches, such as the one built into Vista. In the showdowns in this thread so far, Vista remains the winner by a landslide.

• @Xyro said:

Poetics

If only I had a womb, fine sir.

•  @SpectateSwamp said:

Found these notes from a couple years back. Used the "xxx" option at prompt #2 creating the output results into "replace.txt" I just knew if it wasn't in my huge Merge.txt file. Nobody could find it. Anyway You should start with files in this range. To do the test. They may have improved lately. We can only hope. Those numbers are miserable.  

I used the Search to merge a few large txt files into one, with a
     special search key placed near the end.

SSDS in fact cannot index any text files on the web. This is a distinction that has been made clear to you on several occasions: SSDS is a Application. it runs on the desktop. hell, you CALL IT a desktop search; and then you compare it to web searches?

Hmm, in a related story,we've discovered that bedsheets aren't quite as effective as a mug for holding coffee.

Speaking of bitmaps: how does SSDS handle bitmaps? It should totally OCR them and put the text it fin... sorry, it should "jam" the text it finds into its "index" file, which you appear to be referring to as "the file".

The only "noodle" that's getting "jammed" is probably the stiff noodle from your Belgian lover.

• @BC_Programmer said:

Speaking of bitmaps: how does SSDS handle bitmaps? It should totally OCR them and put the text it fin... sorry, it should "jam" the text it finds into its "index" file, which you appear to be referring to as "the file".

Perhaps the swampie desktop search can find
    (in ways befitting only noodled minds)
    directories of bitmaps on your Dell.
    When at its second prompt jam "what the hell",
    then wait to hang the search and try once more
    encoding to the base of sixty-four!
    ZXNzIGVzcyBkZWUgZXNzIGxvbCB3dGY=

• @Xyro said:

@BC_Programmer said:

Perhaps the swampie desktop search can find
    (in ways befitting only noodled minds)
    directories of bitmaps on your Dell.
    When at its second prompt jam "what the hell",
    then wait to hang the search and try once more
    encoding to the base of sixty-four!
    ZXNzIGVzcyBkZWUgZXNzIGxvbCB3dGY=

I really wish Community Server had a way to rate posts, just so I could give yours 5 stars.

• @BC_Programmer said:

or whatever his real name is. he's probably greek. he comes off to me like he should be relatively large and greasy and try to kiss other males. He's just saying all the bad stuff about greek because he's trying to throw a red herring into the mix.

His name is Doug Pederson.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@derula said:

@BC_Programmer said:
    or whatever his real name is. he's probably greek. he comes off to me like he should be relatively large and greasy and try to kiss other males. He's just saying all the bad stuff about greek because he's trying to throw a red herring into the mix.
    His name is Doug Pederson.
    This one: not this one:

• SSDS Best Desktop Search

@BC_Programmer said:

SSDS in fact cannot index any text files on the web. This is a distinction that has been made clear to you on several occasions: SSDS is a Application. it runs on the desktop. hell, you CALL IT a desktop search; and then you compare it to web searches?

Nope SSDS was never up against the Web searches. The searches that come on to your computer and start indexing everything. Those ones. And SSDS kicks their butts. They can't do anything with video like Swamp search can. Random Random music if you want.  

• @SpectateSwamp said:

The searches that come on to your computer and start indexing everything. Those ones. And SSDS kicks their butts. They can't do anything with video like Swamp search can. Random Random music if you want.

1. SSDS needs indexes. And requires them to be generated and maintained manually.
    2. SSDS is a legless cripple in a wheelchair, it couldn't kick anything's butt if it was lying dead on the ground with a large "kick me" sign on it.
    3. Of course desktop searches can't do anything with video, that's what video players are for. Stop comparing your abomination to a different kind of software.
    4. You are the only person in the world who wants "Random Random music". Get that in your bearded head.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@BC_Programmer said:

Nope SSDS was never up against the Web searches. The searches that come on to your computer and start indexing everything. Those ones. And SSDS kicks their butts. They can't do anything with video like Swamp search can. Random Random music if you want.

They will only index what you want them to index though, at least they save you the trouble of creating the index by hand.

•  @SpectateSwamp said:

Sorry I'm a little tired from videoing over 3 hours of local council meeting. Watching it makes me tired. so tired.

Man, I'm gonna regret this, but... were there any ALIENS in attendance at (or perhaps presiding over) that council meeting?

• World needs more Random Random

@derula said:

SSDS needs indexes. And requires them to be generated and maintained manually.

Cataloging / MD doesn't get loaded Mentally it's manually. That is what that huge keyboard is for dumb bunny.

@derula said:

SSDS is a legless cripple in a wheelchair, it couldn't kick anything's butt if it was lying dead on the ground with a large "kick me" sign on it.

SSDS is so fast and useful. There is just a warm feeling, when you have Swamp search on the taskbar. SSDS sets the standard in usability.

@derula said:

Of course desktop searches can't do anything with video, that's what video players are for. Stop comparing your abomination to a different kind of software.

The other Desktop Searches; can't do large text. Ole Swampy has proven that. Can't search video. Not even any fun things for Text. Slowed print, Flash display option. Soo much fun with SSDS and your favorite digital info. Complete control all done manually from the keyboard.

@derula said:

You are the only person in the world who wants "Random Random music". Get that in your bearded head.

RR'ing was only available to Swampies. My QUESTION with RR is how long a snippet can I play before there is a copyright problem. 2 seconds, 3 secs? I want to demo RR and just stay legal. What should be the setting? "2.9" Or again do I have to do all the manual work. Typing typing forever keyboarding and reading. Is reading manual or automatic?